• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U What's everyone's opinion on the new tournament mode?

You're thoughts on tournament mode

• Total voters

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
*starts tourney*
*wins first match*
*second match starts*
*get repeatedly targeted by a noob playing Zard*
*dodges all his attacks and punishes him for them*
*gets disconnected, message pops up: you have been disqualified for repeatedly attacking an individual player*

Yeah.... nope, not even trying that again

leonsc12

Smash Rookie
A Lot of these Complaints are because of NO 1V1.
...I Smell something fishy over here. For Glory 1v1 scrubs?

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Other than with friends, the theme of online has been pre determined rule sets with very little customization.

That theme continued here... and once again it is a rule set I don't like.

Online Tournament mode without the ability to choose items on, determine what stage(s) are allowed (As I really want to strike Pac Land, Ghar Plane, Pyrosphere, Skyworld, and a couple others) is just terrible.

And those quick 3 min matches... I don't like it!

Offline Tournament would be nice as well... Friends and I gather for a Tournament (not competitive rules) once a monthish, and I miss not needing to go through some extra steps to make random brackets.

Last edited:

MalcolmFlex

Smash Cadet
I personally think it's hit or miss. If you get a large tournament, then it can be very exciting. If you get a smaller tournament, it gets rarely boring quickly. I like the ability to set the rules, I think FG (1vs1 and 2vs2) should have that option as well. I would of preferred the OLD tournament style system, as it actually feels more like a tournament where you can watch your opponents play and analyze their style as you wait your turn. Always felt cool to me. The new system isn't terrible, but it could definitely be much improved.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
The lack of options from Brawl's mode is a real bummer.
You can't pick a set stage for all the matches to be, nor can you ban stages. Having items on is a nono no matter what, and you can't spectate other's matches when you're done with yours.

And also it being online only is also a drag.

Gotta say, it's a real step down from Brawl's, I'm not a fan.

Last edited:

Noe_TheSehxy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Noe_TheSehxy
3DS FC
1392-7204-8668
In my opinion, the touney mode was a fail, 20-30 minute waiting time, AND rules that encourage campy play. Im pretty sure most of us were very excited fir this new mode, but with all the dissapointment it brought it made me think, they should spend more time balancing or creating characters. The waiting time is plain ridiculous and the rules are just frustrating. Say hello to some more arrows and boomerangs everyone, its gonna be a link fest. And there is no offline mode, UGH WHYYYY. Equipment and costums are also a 2 in 1, u cant seperate them, which was expected, but still very disaapointed. R.I.P. the dream of nintendo supporting competetive play.

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Took a break from this mode for a while when it became frustratingly difficult to advance past round one from always getting matched up with chars like Mario, ZSS, or Ness as an Ike player. I even joked to myself how it feels like the tournament would go out of its way to pair me up with difficult matchups.

So I forgot about the mode for a while and went back today after FG teams was feeling meh-ish. I joined three 1v1s as Ike and faced off against a Duck Hunt, Villager, then Sonic.

Duck Hunt was funny because this was a 64 person tournament and there was only that one Duck Hunt in the whole tournament, yet me, Ike, gets matched up with him. Rip. And I'm likely going to act like this mode doesn't exist anymore since it feels like I always get matched up with the same person or bad MUs in general. I might as well just go to 1v1 FG at that point.

Gamin'Snow

Smash Rookie
NNID
Snowcracker
I was hopeful. I was so hopeful.
I could deal with the wait times. but the matches themselves are DUMB. 3 minutes IS NOT ENOUGH TIME FOR A TWO STOCK MATCH, NINTENDO!
And if you try one stock, you'll run into a bajillion :4yoshi:, :4littlemac:, and :4ganondorf: that are just waiting for the dumb one hit KO's.
And the fact that it does not go by who has the lowest percent, but by who deals the most damage? Nintendo, are you punishing me for lasting over 120%??
I've lost a few matches where I was clearly winning, the time would run out, and the other guy would win because he dealt more damage overall on my first stock.
Yeah, I'm just going to stick with For Glory.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Until there is an offline feature that works the same as Melee and Brawl, this will be in my eyes a useless and stupid waste of time. Not every one can play online.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Until there is an offline feature that works the same as Melee and Brawl, this will be in my eyes a useless and stupid waste of time. Not every one can play online.
I don't understand why we ever lost offline tournament... is it that hard to bring the programming over?

Friends and I try to do one every month. (not competitive rules), and it would save quite a bit of hassle if we didn't have to go through our process to best randomize brackets.

Still on the online aspect, there needs to be some flexibility and options outside of with friends mode... including tournaments.

It seems like the online mode was invented to push play styles I don't enjoy... and that is frustrating.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
The wait time is awful and only the preset 1v1 for glory tournaments are worth joining. Overall, it's disappointing. Might as well do for glory instead of tournament mode.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Regular tourney mode got better since the matience. I can now play 2 stock tourneys in a much quicker fashion then before, waiting at least 5-10 minutes for one that I now usually only wait 2-5 minutes for.

Top Bottom