• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U What's everyone's opinion on the new tournament mode?

You're thoughts on tournament mode

• Total voters

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
As we all know today is the day of the latest smash 4 update. this update introduced a tournament mode that allowed the player the option to compete in many forms of tournaments that vary in size and rule set. What is really exciting is the ability to play an online tournament with the "customs on" setting active.
Give us your thoughts on this new game mode, is there anything that could be improved? Do you think this means sakuri may start to balance customs? Let us know!
:joyful::joyful:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I haven't finished downloading the update yet, but I heard there isn't an offline tourney mode?

That's really disappointing, it would have been so nostalgic for me. Meh.

destronoma

Smash Cadet
NNID
Destronoma
I haven't tried it yet, but the lack of an offline mode is a really big letdown.

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
  • Users cannot create 1v1 tournament lobbies, nor can they make elimination brackets.
  • Official 1v1 lobbies use 2 stock 3 minutes.
  • Users cannot create 1v1 tournament lobbies.
  • In the event of a tie the winner will always be the one who dealt the most percent, NOT who has the lowest.
  • Customs and equipment are inseparable. (This was kinda expected, though)
  • There is no offline Tournament mode. (W-what?)
  • Disconnections result in everyone in that game getting booted out of the tournament.
  • Full tournaments do not automatically start. You must wait for the designated time to start playing. (If you're trying to get into a 1v1 server wait times average 20-30 minutes)
  • Users cannot create 1v1 tournament lobbies.
I'm very disappointed in Nintendo.

Last edited:

Stenton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stenton
3DS FC
5241-1897-2572
  • Players will have to find the tournament that they want to play in. However, it's a first-come first-serve when it comes to 1v1 Stocks. Making you wait for the next empty room for the next 1v1 Tourney that will start 10-15+ minutes later.
  • Players cannot create regular tourneys making them rush in and hope for a place. (To then get owned by a spammy Link in the first round)
  • Free-for-All Stocks timer is quite short.
  • Tie-breakers are based on most damage encouraging players to spam and stand at the sidelines.
  • No Offline Tourney
  • Miis are now playable in a non-friendly game. Which is excellent. Also defeats the purpose of no offending people with Hitler Miis. Can we add 1111 Miis to For Fun and For Gory?
It's good, but it really needs improving. I hope Nintendo will update it in the future.

Last edited:

Benoas

Smash Cadet
3 Minute matches AND at time person who has done most damage wins!?!?!?

This Just encourages the most campy, projectile spamming playstyle.

Prepare to see plenty for 4glory:4link:!

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
No 1v1, three minute time limit on 1v1 (Which can only be made by nintendo)

Automaticitally sucks.

kinbobbobkin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Remybunny14
3DS FC
1822-1654-6056
It's meh.

tourneys limited to 2 minutes
Haven't seen much stock battles
Using equipment with customs.

wisdomsprince

Smash Rookie
NNID
wisdomsprince
3DS FC
0662-4741-7158
You can't create elimination bracket tourneys which is horrible. You cant choose the player count in tourneys again(1v1 2v2 etc.). Horrible. Nintendo purposely made this crappy to keep people wanting more. Why can you only play these?tournament type in "regular" tournaments. Did it not strike anyone as possible that people would want to create "regular" tournaments. Nintendo does unique great but they are an absolute disaster implementing standard ideas.

Last edited:

WorstGanonWorld

Smash Cadet
NNID
EziPizi
I don´t know why but every single time I sign in for a 1 vs 1 tournament (of course waiting for 30 minutes) I always get the "communication error" after 15 mins. Does anyone share the same problem/ know why this happens?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I haven't finished downloading the update yet, but I heard there isn't an offline tourney mode?

That's really disappointing, it would have been so nostalgic for me. Meh.
I guess this update was nothing more than a massive letdown then. I have little use for the Mii outfits, but what's the point of adding new features if they can't be used offline as well?!

Mjolnir/Hunter101

Smash Cadet
NNID
ryfennn
i dont have many complaints besides the half hour wait time. thats pretty ridiculous.
besides that i tried playing the update at 12:30 at night, so i didn't do to well and didn't get to see much. offline option doesn't bother me. its very possible to organize a tournament ish thing with friends with two or such wiiu's, especially with how portable the wiiu is.

wisdomsprince

Smash Rookie
NNID
wisdomsprince
3DS FC
0662-4741-7158
Basically tourney modes should be the things Nintendo puts on in that format but those should be user created. The answer is literally right therr and they still missed it. Other modes arefine but not on their own

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
They needed to allow players to host 1 vs. 1 tournaments.

Being able to have a lobby to play 1 vs. 1 against a select group of invited players was all I wanted out of the mode, honestly.

The 1 vs. 1 that is present is terrible, since you're forced to sit through everyone else's matches, plus the three minute timer almost ensures every game will end by decision instead of a KO.

S.O.D.

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
Womb#406
As we all know today is the day of the latest smash 4 update. this update introduced a tournament mode that allowed the player the option to compete in many forms of tournaments that vary in size and rule set. What is really exciting is the ability to play an online tournament with the "customs on" setting active.
Give us your thoughts on this new game mode, is there anything that could be improved? Do you think this means sakuri may start to balance customs? Let us know!
:joyful::joyful:
It seams like they're catering to the for fun community more than everybody in general, 1V1 for glory tourneys are too hard to come by. And usually I get booted from the tourney before it starts. The mode is good but needs improvement

WwwWario

Smash Ace
To me, it seems like Sakurai just keep trying to keep Smash away from the competitive scene.

S.O.D.

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
Womb#406
This mode makes me want to drop link as one of my mains.
Players are very campy and spammy, very little serious players I've seen so far
Communication errors are the worst thing ever. I usually get booted before the tourney can even start. They're even worse during tourneys, I made it to semis with :4ganondorf: and got booted.
Wait times and user tourneys suck as well. I can't create a 1v1 elimination tourney!? Wtf? And of course offline tourneys which has been here since melee is gone (for now)

Pelias26

Smash Rookie
It just makes me mad that the dev team keeps pumping out mii outfits like there's no tomorrow but have 8 months to develop a tournament mode that was already partially finished when we first saw it... Why does the fan base that paid for this game have to go through disappointment like this under the priority of a honey bear costume that costs less than a dollar. I was so hyped for this update until I got in and saw the lack of customization that could have been a priority in development months ago to fix and make the player base happy. Well at least casual players are happy and that's all that matters to nintendo.

NewZen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NewZen41
It's lackluster and honestly a disappointment. Like others have stated, it's just filled with too many problems to even be considered an alternative to standard online in the first place.

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
So what are the most important changes you would like to see happen? Nintendo will probably want feedback and I assume they plan on updating this new mode.

It is funny how sakuri trolls us with the
King K. Rool costume lol. I don't think he would have added much though...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The fact that there isn't an offline tournament mode is such a mind-boggling decision, it was such fun in Melee to boot up a 64 character tournament when you had an hour and a half to kill and just go through it with friends. Having it only as an online mode is in itself just terrible game design for a game like Smash Bros which has always been known as one of the best local multiplayer experiences on the market. It's not a big surprise to me as they only ever mentioned it as an online mode, and it's very typical of Nintendo to not do something they don't smear in your face (Smash Run ONLY for the 3DS anyone?), but still a huge dissapoinment.

Last edited:

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
It feels like this is just a preliminary/beta version to see how it goes and it will likely be updated later. However on the off chance that it won't be this was a pretty big disappointment IMO.

Offline tournament mode would be a great addition; and something I am, like many others here, surprised they didn't include at first. The ability for people to make their own 1v1 tournaments is another thing it really needs as well.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Haven't tried it yet

They better add an offline version later because it would help for partys and conventions big time.
This is just tourney mode. They said in the Smash Wii U direct in October there an offline tournament mode, like the one from Brawl.

Pelias26

Smash Rookie
I'll watch the 50 fact thing and return with a definitive list of promises they made

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
It just came out, people need to give it a chance! If you dont see a tourney you like, start one up! and share it and spread the word. I create two tourneys if anyone is interested. This has potiental, give it a chance.

https://youtu.be/7otHUEwAyCQ

S.O.D.

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
Womb#406
So what are the most important changes you would like to see happen? Nintendo will probably want feedback and I assume they plan on updating this new mode.

It is funny how sakuri trolls us with the
King K. Rool costume lol. I don't think he would have added much though...
i would like to see user created 1v1 elimination tourneys, and offline tourneys as well. also they need to fix the connection issues with the servers

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
At the moment, I think it's... an OK start. The mode itself does appear to be missing one or two things, but there are a few things that immediately come to mind when anticipating an improvement:

• For Glory and For Fun seem to be mixed up. While Miis and Custom Moves are available in both versions, For Glory appears to be the mode with items enabled, and For Fun is not. Considering the nature of regular ranked and unranked matches before Tournaments were available, this has lead a fair few to be confused about it. (For Fun tourneys appear empty, while For Glory ones are usually more populated.)
  • A lack of offline tournament mode is to be expected, after all, having a standard elimination bracket available for things like Evo would likely help reduce admin time, but also restrict people to a singular character. It's a mixed bag, really, and when holding proper tournaments, I can see why this would no be looked into. For the sake of nostalgia it would be nice, but the way official tournaments are held, if it never gets implemented, I can understand why.
  • Players are unable to make their own regular tournament, and I can see the reason behind it, even if it's a little short sighted. I think it might be the fact that, for a regular elimination bracket to work, everyone needs to be there, and with the nature of the internet, that's hard to accomplish. Still, players are intelligent enough to organise something like this, as they have done recently, and the existence of Nintendo's own social Network, the Miiverse, would permit the message to get out there.
  • Building on the previous notion, partaking in League-style tournaments is a bit lacking in its own way, given that you could have members online, but can't guarantee there'd be anyone willing to fight. As of writing, I am part of a tourney with 11 members and have fought none of them, and this might be the case all around as my score of 0 has put me in 3rd place.
  • With Regular Tourneys not using Omega Style stages, the tourney itself may lead to some stage jank that things like counter picks and banning stages were made for.

Pelias26

Smash Rookie
Just
This is just tourney mode. They said in the Smash Wii U direct in October there an offline tournament mode, like the one from Brawl.
watched the smash direct... Sadly we got what they told us we would get... There is nothing said about offline tournaments, the entire section is about online features. They also say nothing about hosting tournaments but instead hosting "tourneys" the casual version of a tournament... I guess we all just had our expectations up to high, myself included.

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
As an amendment to my previous post, turns out For Fun also has Items on, so... huh. Not sure what to think.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Just

watched the smash direct... Sadly we got what they told us we would get... There is nothing said about offline tournaments, the entire section is about online features. They also say nothing about hosting tournaments but instead hosting "tourneys" the casual version of a tournament... I guess we all just had our expectations up to high, myself included.
Right when I link something to

ZarroTsu

Smash Journeyman
Seems like whoever lags the most wins.

Also all the 1v1 tournies are full for the next half hour, but the ffa for funs are all 0/64. I wonder if that means something.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Seems like whoever lags the most wins.

Also all the 1v1 tournies are full for the next half hour, but the ffa for funs are all 0/64. I wonder if that means something.
Lag is op, and the players should feel bad for using it against people. I managed to get into a 1v1 tourney before you mentioned it. Very lucky

Wizpiggleton

Smash Rookie
The only good thing about tourney mode is that you no longer have to friend people to set up a 1v1 match with tournament legal stages and options.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Didn't turn out like everyone planned?

Oh well. At least we still organize our own tournaments online and offline. :)

wisdomsprince

Smash Rookie
NNID
wisdomsprince
3DS FC
0662-4741-7158
I'm pretty sure all anyone really wanted from Tourney's is exactly what Regular tourneys are but it should be user created. The Mario Kart 8 style tourneys could be a fun way to play with friends and setup games as well but it doesn't stand up on its own as a tournament. Offline would be good as well (AI,Amiibo & players is a must in an offline mode). Basically, Nintendo is clueless when it comes to implementing simple features. They are great with new ideas and gameplay but as far as feature sets go, the competition is far and away better. Not even close

Top Bottom