• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What really grinds your gears in Smash 4?

**** counters?

• Yes

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters

BlueDaruma888

Smash Cadet
As a competitionist trying to complete the entire achievements board (without using hammers), nothing grinds my gears as much as the RNG that can happen in classic mode... like okay, there's a "tad bit" of skill involved, but do Dragoon/ Daybreak pieces really have to spawn EVERY. FREAKING. MATCH. Team Battles of 4 v 4? Teammates usually get themselves in the first 10 seconds. Honestly, Master Core/ Fortress himself isn't all that bad in part because most of it is just pattern matching. It's getting there that frustrates me more than anything else.

Smash Tour really annoys me as well... in part because you pretty much HAVE to have friends in the game in order to get the "Final Battle with 10 or more characters"... I haven't touched it in a while and don't plan to until that faithful day where I can get a couple of friends together, get the achievement, and shut it away from my memories forever.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
(let the rant begin)

"Clear Classic on 9.0 without losing a single life". How the hell does anyone do this without way too much practice? It's the only challenge I haven't completed, and honestly I can't see myself completing it. It's just too frustrating:

~The CPUs are of random capability. You don't know how hard the CPUs will be to face, especially when you have teammates that are terrible against an amazing team, and the "Rivals" are almost never the hardest CPU of the battle. It also seems that even when you have teammates or it's a free-for-all, the CPUs primarily target you, and you can't die ONCE EVER.
~Broken items. Practically insta-kill items like the Beetle, Galacta, and Drill Arm as well as overpowered Pokemon/assist trophies are so annoying to deal with, especially when there are more than 4 other fighters that can also hurt you. It turns into me camping while charging limit and waiting for everyone else to kill each other, which is hard when they primarily target you.
~High base knockback moves. 'Nuff said.
~Master Giant is terrible. He has so much health, loads of attacks that are high-damaging and hard to avoid, and a high hurtbox that makes most high-damaging ground attacks not hit.
~Going co-op can help as you have two players and no Master Fortress to deal with. However, now the CPUs are always on teams, you need an equally capable second player for it to work well, and I'm not even sure as of yet whether it counts for the challenge (it doesn't say "Solo Classic", but you never know...)
~Equipment is helpful, but CPUs can also use them.
~Every single run costs so much gold, and you have to get past round 4 to go even or make a profit.

Every other "difficult" challenge can somehow be made significantly easier to complete, such as:

-Cloud up B's descending hitbox BKB wrecks "The FINAL Final Battle" and "All-Star Battle: Secret" on hard.
-Temporarily deleting DLC makes All Star challenges (especially Jigglypuff/Shulk) a breeze.
-Making a custom stage, turning Master Balls only on high frequency, and choosing Special Fast Smash makes getting CDs loads easier (from Mews).
-Playing a character on All-Star gets a trophy for them and on Classic has the opportunity for two, and the grinding you should do in Trophy Rush helps a lot, too, making 700 trophies reasonable.
-The Smash Tour challenges are simple if you have spare controllers that you control.

However, no matter how you try to make Classic mode easier, it will always rear its ugly head on you too many times. Add to all this that OF COURSE you can't Golden Hammer it, and you have yourself a near impossible challenge. (A close second is All Star on Hard with every character, but at least you can Golden Hammer that and it's not ENTIRELY luck-based.)

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
the sheer number number of defensive options in this game.
multiple airdodges
all sorts of OOS options
Overall great recoveries + Autosnap to ledges + Ledgetrumping
being able to buffer get up options when ledge trumped

Being in advantage is far less meaningful than it should be just because the opponent has options upon options to reset back to neutral

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Witch Time. It makes no sense that it's blatantly the safest, fastest, and effectively strongest counter. Stressful to play around, especially if your character can't kill off throws.

(It's also on a character that already has a bucketload of defensive tools, but my main gripes are really with that specific move rather than bayo herself. If its frame data matched a counter like Corrin's or Palutena's or...literally any other counter, and Bat Within were strictly on her dodges, I'd have no complaints. Instead we have a frame 5 invincible counter that can kill people off jabs at low percents and has less endlag than most dtilts.)

Last edited:

daniel26150

Smash Rookie
What really grinds my gears is the english voices, specially Fox's voice, I hate every time he gets hit makes a horrible sound or when you send him flying. I really hate that and the CPU that reads your inputs, I stopped playing because of that

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
However, no matter how you try to make Classic mode easier, it will always rear its ugly head on you too many times. Add to all this that OF COURSE you can't Golden Hammer it, and you have yourself a near impossible challenge. (A close second is All Star on Hard with every character, but at least you can Golden Hammer that and it's not ENTIRELY luck-based.)
You do run into problems with Duck Hunt's challenge though. You have to complete the true Solo All-Star mode on Hard difficulty as Duck Hunt, which can't be avoided at all, and the duo has a lot of problems with making effective KOs, and having to deal with gang attacks just adds to the nightmare. All this for a Metroid series trophy? That's just ridiculous.

Another problem is completing the true All-Star mode on Normal difficulty without healing between rounds (and doing that exact same challenge solo as Captain Falcon).

Furret24

Smash Master
You do run into problems with Duck Hunt's challenge though. You have to complete the true Solo All-Star mode on Hard difficulty as Duck Hunt, which can't be avoided at all, and the duo has a lot of problems with making effective KOs, and having to deal with gang attacks just adds to the nightmare. All this for a Metroid series trophy? That's just ridiculous.

Another problem is completing the true All-Star mode on Normal difficulty without healing between rounds (and doing that exact same challenge solo as Captain Falcon).
That first one doesn't sound very hard. All-star is really easy, even on hard due to the abundance of health items. The items and the increased damage help with killing too.

Of course, I main Duck Hunt, so perhaps I'm a little biased here. :4duckhunt:

That second one sounds a little harder though, since you have to play a little safer due to your inability to heal.
:162:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

That first one doesn't sound very hard. All-star is really easy, even on hard due to the abundance of health items. The items and the increased damage help with killing too.

Of course, I main Duck Hunt, so perhaps I'm a little biased here. :4duckhunt:
You are dealing with harder CPUs though, and even though their direct attacks deal less damage than normal, they can still wipe you out if you're not careful.

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
probably the fact that they didn't make the game just a tad bit faster. still like it though.
What really grinds my gears is the english voices, specially Fox's voice, I hate every time he gets hit makes a horrible sound or when you send him flying. I really hate that and the CPU that reads your inputs, I stopped playing because of that
you stopped playing smash brothers.. because of CPUs?
online pls. with some practice, CPUs are easy to take out.

i actually like fox's english voice. i think its kinda adorable in an odd sense.

Furret24

Smash Master
Frankly, I miss Fox's Brawl voice clips. They make him sound a lot less stupid.
I miss Melee's. Fox sounds terrible in Brawl and Smash 4 imo, though 4 was terrible in a funny way that was almost charming to me.

In Melee though, he sounded really cool.
You are dealing with harder CPUs though, and even though their direct attacks deal less damage than normal, they can still wipe you out if you're not careful.
Those harder CPUS still aren't that hard though (from my experience anyway. Perhaps I'm just lucky).

Last edited:

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
I cleared both All Star on hard with Duck Hunt and All Star on normal as Captain Falcon without healing in my second try, so I guess I was a bit lucky there. That's why I didn't think either of them were hard.

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
Some of the more difficult Challenges in Smash 4 urk me.
Like the Classic or Cruel Smash ones :_;

Mitijeur

Smash Rookie
Smash Hell.
It's such an irritating mechanic.
I rarely play online and whenever I do I somehow always wind up in it, which kinda suck since I'm a trash tier player being thrown into a pit full of actually decent players.

Last edited:

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
Two things really, really bother me in this game: the bizarre balancing decisions, and the refusal to issue patch notes, both of which seem like very poor, outdated decisions. Like, I'm glad Ike's fair got buffed yet again, that's awesome, but how have Samus and Zelda remained untouched through a year long balancing period? As for patch notes, I suspect this is to make things less confusing for casual players, but I think it's a poor decision and would harm absolutely nobody to have a dedicated patch notes summary section up on the Smash Bros website.

Oh, also, Omega stages should just have been simplified stages instead of flat platforms. Makes For Glory's variety way worse than it should have been.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I miss Melee's. Fox sounds terrible in Brawl and Smash 4 imo, though 4 was terrible in a funny way that was almost charming to me.

In Melee though, he sounded really cool.

Those harder CPUS still aren't that hard though (from my experience anyway. Perhaps I'm just lucky).
You like Engrish Fox over Fox with a tolerable voice?

The*insertage*reviewer

Smash Rookie
NNID
The12reviewee
I don't like that only 8 characters are unlockable in the wiiu version. I don't see the issue the game had with Luigi and Jigglypuff previously being unlockable, and I don't get why special third characters such as Pac-Man, Megaman, and Sonic had to be starters.

GameHunter Sirius

Smash Rookie
NNID
SiriusWolf7
3DS FC
4571-1249-1889
Online Glory Stages which are freakishly small. I'm all down with no items, but I hate the stages without any platforms.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
That they made three entire games based off of music, and didn't put any of it in Smash 4. Well, 2 songs became DLC, but they weren't remixed like most of the others and they were pretty random choices.

Last edited:

Sir Floats

Smash Rookie
When me and my brother play, he gets so mad when I beat him, he throws the gamepad... It's really annoying. Our Wii U is screwed.

Goolloom

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of music in the game...

*Salty Rant Incoming*
If there's one other thing that does grind my gears in Smash 4 is that there is way too little music from the Donkey Kong games...
I already said that more than once but, having 7 remixes of the main theme, (when you have much, MUCH better choices) is not the best thing they could come up with...
Come on they could've picked literally any other song from DKC:Returns or even DKC:Tropical Freeze's God tier soundtrack.
Some people told me that ''they needed good music to brawl at''...
It's not a valid excuse when THIS. is in the game.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Yoshi. I just can't stand Yoshi. How do I fight this demon? So many of his attacks are super strong, his aerial mobility is insane and he's surprisingly quick all around. Then there's that damn "Yosh Yosh" taunt I've grown to hate. I used to love Yoshi in everything but now I can't stand him.

I'm also not a big fan of a lot of the newcomers, most I just don't enjoy playing and so many feel like they're only here for the sake of advertising rather than actually being important to Nintendo's history, this game is supposedly supposed to be celebrating Nintendo's history and yet we got Rosalina, Greninja and Palutena over Ridley, Dixie or K Rool

Another thing that is less of a problem with the game and more with the developers, their refusal to buff characters that are clearly bad, I'm not sure if they're just somehow unaware or if they don't care but it's a little frustrating, not to mention their idea of balancing is basically just sticking a combo throw on the character, CoughDKCoughBowserCough

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord
-Ice Climbers and Wolf being absent.
-Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina's existence.
-How a CPU Zelda NEVER misses her sweetspotted Lightning Kick.
-How stupid CPUs are in Training Mode. All they do is spam the same move over and over again.
-Smash Tour's existence.
-Target Smash's existence. It's just a cheap rip-off of Angry Birds and it sucks. Whatever happened to Break The Targets? And I mean 64's and Melee's versions of it, because Brawl's sucked too.
-How unfair and easy it is to land a Meteor Smash with Mario. It literally takes no effort and is way too strong.

There are many more, but those are the ones I can think of right now.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
-Ice Climbers and Wolf being absent.
-Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina's existence.
-How unfair and easy it is to land a Meteor Smash with Mario. It literally takes no effort and is way too strong.
What's wrong with the clones if they aren't replacing anybody? Also, I think you severely underestimate how hard it actually is landing at spike with a move that's slow, has a sourspot, has the hitbox in front of the character instead of below, and is on a character with such a mediocre recovery.

Last edited:

Zi^

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThaLegundOfLonk
3DS FC
2767-0988-1706
The Nintendo Online system in general.
It casually doesn't let me connect to the server, or there is half second of input lag, or the game starts going at 5 fps.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I am a complete hypocrite for posting this... and I realize, admit, and accept that.

:4sheik:: Does this character have any bad match ups? (I don't claim to be good or knowledgeable about this game so serious question... but I don't want to derail the thread.) Of course if she is that good I need to learn her... I can't get the hang of her playlist though and it drives me bonkers.

Counter moves: I finally land my kill move and die for my efforts... Hate it. Doesn't help that everyone on that planet but me can learn that timing... Gah... but on that note I am trying to learn :4bayonetta:... so another hypocritical statement from me. Regardless... there are to many counters in this game. I was okish with it when it was a rare thing for a couple characters to make them different... there are way to many of them in this game.

And low jumping... why does my finger say normal jump when my brain says low jump...

CPU AI: You have a choice between punching bag, and read your input on anything at all advanced that you want to practice...

The unlock system
IT SHOULD NOT BE POSSIBLE TO EARN CUSTOM MOVES YOU ALREADY HAVE UNLOCKED! SO FREAKING STUPID!!!

Boss fights: Props to the team for trying something new... but those additions failed terribly as far as having fun with the game goes.

Online level choice: Why are the only options random stage, or only FD... I am sick of landing on Pac-Land, Pyrosphere, Wiley Castle, 75 meeter.... So much smarter to let the players/teams alternate who chooses.... If my online opponent wants to take me to those places ok I would deal with it... but I suspect most of them are having the same reaction I am when I express frustration.

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord
What's wrong with the clones if they aren't replacing anybody? Also, I think you severely underestimate how hard it actually is landing at spike with a move that's slow, has a sourspot, has the hitbox in front of the character instead of below, and is on a character with such a mediocre recovery.
They just bother me in general. I think having them stupid and redundant, especially Marth, who has TWO clones in Lucina and Roy (well, Roy is more of a semi-clone now, so I shouldn't really count him...)

I especially dislike Lucina. Her voice is unbearable to me and I think she has zero charisma.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
They just bother me in general. I think having them stupid and redundant, especially Marth, who has TWO clones in Lucina and Roy (well, Roy is more of a semi-clone now, so I shouldn't really count him...)

I especially dislike Lucina. Her voice is unbearable to me and I think she has zero charisma.
Mario has a clone and a semi clone as well. Doc uses all the same voice clips as Mario and Luigi sounds similar to both of them (due to the whole "they're voiced by the same guy" guff), and it's not like the Mario Bros.'s voice is music to the ears either.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Mario has a clone and a semi clone as well. Doc uses all the same voice clips as Mario and Luigi sounds similar to both of them (due to the whole "they're voiced by the same guy" guff), and it's not like the Mario Bros.'s voice is music to the ears either.
Yes, but at least Mario and Luigi are likeable characters and they are part of Nintendo's icons, so I like them. Lucina... Not so much. I do agree that Mario's (and Dr. Mario as well) and Luigi's voices aren't very nice to hear in this game, all because they use recycled voice clips from the horribly art-directed Brawl. The direction Charles Martinet (their voice actor) was given was just awful.

Top Bottom