• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What really grinds your gears in Smash 4?

**** counters?

• Yes

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters

MrSaek

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrSaek
It can be anything, About players, Characters, Modes what ever.

What really grinds my gears in Smash 4 is when someone picks Corrin, I know all about the circlejerk of Corrin and Bayonetta. I honestly hate this little ****, I cannot stand his utility and kill potential, That counter is literally like fighting Cthulhu without any arms or legs, if it hits you IT DESTROYS YOU COMPLETELY AND ERASES YOU FROM EXISTENCE.

You know what? **** counters in general.

Last edited:

Suzukipot

Actual Mother trash
NNID
em12498
3DS FC
0404-9964-5652
Lag.

For Glory lag really bugs me, as well as Nintendo related Internet problems in general (gee I couldn't connect to the partner's server? Greeeeeat....) Nothing that really bothers me about characters, I just need to learn the match ups and git gud. Also, it seems like a lot of the sword characters have counters which just...doesn't make me to big on sword characters, tbh.

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
Online lag is probably the only thing that I hate about this game. If Mariokart 8 and Splatoon can run fine online, what's this game's deal?
:162:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
The real reason is because Splatoon and MK8 use dedicated servers, whereas Smash uses a peer-to-peer system where players connect directly to each other. It tends to be worse because either side having a shaky connection will ruin it.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
The poor placement of hitboxes. Most attacks phantom hit because the hitboxes either don't last to match the animations, or the hitboxes are too small to match the trails. Or both. Online lag pisses off because why not. Dairs being so bad, almost none are frame 10, and are either too weak, the spike hitbox lasts nothing, or have such abysmal overall lag there is no reason why would anyone use them.

Furret24

Smash Master
The poor placement of hitboxes. Most attacks phantom hit because the hitboxes either don't last to match the animations, or the hitboxes are too small to match the trails. Or both. Online lag pisses off because why not. Dairs being so bad, almost none are frame 10, and are either too weak, the spike hitbox lasts nothing, or have such abysmal overall lag there is no reason why would anyone use them.
There are a handful of good dairs. Bayonetta, Mewtwo, Mario, Cloud, Ganondorf, Charizard, Falcon, Ryu, Kirby, and Rosalina all have good dairs. Game and Watch, Yoshi, Sonic, and Link all have okay ones too.

Last edited:

GuffMcGufferson

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3869-7120-5996
Lag ruins the fun of online. I once played in a 4 player For Fun tournament at one time and with 1 minute left in game time, the game lagged like crazy. I won the match, and won the tournament, but it didn't matter because I got kicked out for lag (even though it wasn't my internet) and so did everyone else.
I also hate it when people get salty when they lose and call you "Bad" or something like that. Excuses, Excuses

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
Biggest complaints are the awful UI, not being able to set my default settings to stock and the horribly disappointing tournament mode having a ridiculous 3 minute time limit and random seedings instead of having seeds based on some kind of ranking and atleast 5 minute limit.

Last edited:

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Aside from the stuff you guys said, I hated the newcomers this time around. Literally the only ones I like playing as are :4cloud: and :4miibrawl:.

L9999 L9999 I noticed that, too. The weird thing is that Smash is usually pretty good about that (with some obvious exceptions).

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
How several characters with stall and fall down-airs (Toon Link, Bowser) cause them to stop and drop without a chance in most cases to get back on the stage. With Toon Link they removed his bounce whenever d-Air connects... what gives? It wasn't overpowered in Brawl, why remove it?

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Rob. It's a strong enough machine that it grinds my gears.

But srrsly though, Ganondorf. I always have to use Dedede (Or Jigglypuffworks too for noobier ones). Kirby never works. Nor does like anyone else, I HATE HIM. EVERYTHING ABOUT HIM.

Furret24

Smash Master
Rob. It's a strong enough machine that it grinds my gears.

But srrsly though, Ganondorf. I always have to use Dedede (Or Jigglypuffworks too for noobier ones). Kirby never works. Nor does like anyone else, I HATE HIM. EVERYTHING ABOUT HIM.
You even hate how easy to gimp he is? You even hate how stupidly slow he is? You even hate how easy to beat in general he is?

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
The fact that there's 58 characters to choose from. Too much of a good thing indeed.
Also, online lag. Bringing people over locally to play is a pain, so I rarely get to experience Smash in group settings or against human players in general.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
The fact that unless you're in a certain area in the game it sends you right back to the intro screen constantly.

The fact that you barely had to unlock any of the characters in the Wii U version. That was my most favorite thing to do, and it wasn't very hard to unlock them all either. Whatever happened to actually working for them? It just would of been nice to still have that.

The fact that you have a Win Percentage instead of a Rank that changes depending on how well or how poorly you do.

The fact that Updates erase your saved Replays. I know they aren't actual recordings but rather recorded button commands, but couldn't they of done something (other than YouTube) to keep them from getting deleted and still view-able in some way or form...? Please?

The fact that the Stage Builder doesn't have a lot of neat options to choose from anymore. It's nicer sure, but I miss the Falling Blocks, Ice Blocks, and others. I also dislike that the magma isn't an instakill past 100% on Custom Stages. That would of been kinda fun.

The fact that the Report Function (which it's nice they actually considered adding it) is pretty useless when it comes to trying to report toxic players. You can't really report them if it hasn't happened yet (using tags for insults for example) and they leave before you have the chance. Not to mention it can also be abused to falsely ban good players as well when they haven't done anything wrong.

The fact that Ice Climbers were cut because of the 3DS...

popernennins

Smash Rookie
The fact that Updates erase your saved Replays. I know they aren't actual recordings but rather recorded button commands, but couldn't they of done something (other than YouTube) to keep them from getting deleted and still view-able in some way or form...? Please?
this really is annoying. i've lost at least a hundred replays ( or hundreds ) from this. it also doesn't help that uploading replays to youtube takes a millennia.

hey just got back from playing fg with a person who mained sonic and ness and only used grab and won
i think its safe to say i hate eveything

Last edited by a moderator:

Furret24

Smash Master
User was warned for this post
this really is annoying. i've lost at least a hundred replays ( or hundreds ) from this. it also doesn't help that uploading replays to youtube takes a millennia.

hey just got back from playing fg with a person who mained sonic and ness and only used grab and won
i think its safe to say i hate eveything
upload_2016-2-24_19-30-37.png

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Besides the obvious online lag, For Glory in general. I hate everything about For Glory.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
People who complain about characters. Any character.
I'm sure we all complained about characters at some point, hell, I couldn't look at Rosalina without ******** about her for a few minutes before all the nerfs. But... for God's sake, how about learning how to play against the character like I did instead of whining?

People complain about Mario's Down Throw>Up Tilt combo when it's far from true (unless you consider following the DT up with a single Up Tilt true) and it stops working really early, as well as his Up Throw>Down Air. People also complain about his Running-Reverse Up Smash when you could just throw a stunning projectile against him or use a Counter on his Up Smash to stop him.
There's always a way to counter stuff, people, how about working your arses off to finding it instead of moaning to others!
This video sums it up.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What I'll never understand is why Rosalina's air speed is just so slow. I would think that because of he levitation powers, she'd be much more mobile in the air than most other fighters; only Yoshi and Jigglypuff would be faster than her while in the air.

Bigbomb2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bigbomb2
A lot of things with For Glory. I put in a LOT of matches into it and it still can rustle my jimmies, especially lag and really cocky players. I got told to "killurself" once so that was nice.

Also I was a little sad there wasn't a bit more single player, but at least there are challenges to grind through. Some of them make me feel like a straight noob though

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
- Lag/Input Delay
- 2v2 FG being time instead of stock along with the fact that Team Attack is off.
- Players who try to "1 Up" you by switching to your character after losing the first match.
- People who try to abuse characters with powerful "KO" moves but just spam it because they clearly don't know what else to do. (Ex.:4ness::4zelda::4charizard:)

Clonedpickle

Smash Rookie
I don't normally post here, just lurking but thought I would give my 2 cents..
- Training room needs more tools, like setting up CPU to DI a certain way or to be able record/replay moves. I know this game is supposed to be for the casual in mind but still..

- Why did Sakurai/Nintendo think it was a good idea to use P2P netcode in a fighting game? It ruins For Glory, also the people that abuse nametags to insult you and leave after one match just adds to the poor online..

- Questionable buffs/nerfs, this is my opinion but I would of loved it if some of the lower tier characters like Mr. Game&Watch got a small buff, instead he got a 2vs2 nerf and that's it..

popernennins

Smash Rookie
people who taunt when they get a regular kill, something about it just gets me. when they get a style kill i completely get it but when they use a regular move to get a regular kill and taunt i just think you did nothing to deserve a taunt why are you doing that

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
It can be anything, About players, Characters, Modes what ever.

What really grinds my gears in Smash 4 is when someone picks Corrin, I know all about the circlejerk of Corrin and Bayonetta. I honestly hate this little ****, I cannot stand his utility and kill potential, That counter is literally like fighting Cthulhu without any arms or legs, if it hits you IT DESTROYS YOU COMPLETELY AND ERASES YOU FROM EXISTENCE.

You know what? **** counters in general.
Can't say I feel bad for a Shiek main.

Goolloom

Smash Apprentice
The following is a long rant about Smash Tour.
You have been warned.

Smash Tour... This mode as a whole makes me grind my gears. Why is it... I can't.
I think I played it twice since I got the game.
It's just too chaotic. I tried it once with my friend. We were just rolling around with the game without really knowing what we were doing. Pressing buttons and it works for some unknown reason.

Everyone has their turns, movements and use items at the same time for... Why? Couldn't that be like Mario Party? One at a time was too complicated? Well it is harder to understand everything when it's all happening at the same time.

Add that we weren't using the characters we wanted to use. The game just gives you this and deal with it.

And that we had no idea why there are stats boosts on the damn board. Feels like they just threw them in here for the sake of having them in the Wii U version as well.

I still have no clue how fights were triggered. Sometimes walking past someone makes you stop and begins a fight. Where other times you walk past someone and nothing happens...? What? Why is it inconsistent all of the sudden? As if that wasn't chaotic enough.

The only part we understood was the final fight where each stock is a different character. But my friend had no character when we reached the final battle, and I had only one... Oh and we didn't get enough of those stats boosts (that we only noticed when they showed them in the previous screen before the fight.) so the CPU's completely destroyed us.

Speaking of CPU's destroying me the second time I booted up the mode (I wanted to do all the challenges.) they just gang up on you in classic Smash Fashion.
Select your items...
Targeted to me...
-Start the fight at 300%
-Start the fight asleep.
Third CPU starts the fight with a Hammer.

... It's okay game I didn't want to play your ****ty mode anyway.

End of rant.

Last edited:

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
The following is a long rant about Smash Tour.
You have been warned.

Smash Tour... This mode as a whole makes me grind my gears. Why is it... I can't.
I think I played it twice since I got the game.
It's just too chaotic. I tried it once with my friend. We were just rolling around with the game without really knowing what we were doing. Pressing buttons and it works for some unknown reason.

Everyone has their turns, movements and use items at the same time for... Why? Couldn't that be like Mario Party? One at a time was too complicated? Well it is harder to understand everything when it's all happening at the same time.

Add that we weren't using the characters we wanted to use. The game just gives you this and deal with it.

And that we had no idea why there are stats boosts on the damn board. Feels like they just threw them in here for the sake of having them in the Wii U version as well.

I still have no clue how fights were triggered. Sometimes walking past someone makes you stop and begins a fight. Where other times you walk past someone and nothing happens...? What? Why is it inconsistent all of the sudden? As if that wasn't chaotic enough.

The only part we understood was the final fight where each stock is a different character. But my friend had no character when we reached the final battle, and I had only one... Oh and we didn't get enough of those stats boosts (that we only noticed when they showed them in the previous screen before the fight.) so the CPU's completely destroyed us.

Speaking of CPU's destroying me the second time I booted up the mode (I wanted to do all the challenges.) they just gang up on you in classic Smash Fashion.
Select your items...
Targeted to me...
-Start the fight at 300%
-Start the fight asleep.
Third CPU starts the fight with a Hammer.

... It's okay game I didn't want to play your ****ty mode anyway.

End of rant.
The fact that's it's on the main menu screen is an abomination. Casuals hate it just as much as competitive players.

Last edited:

Cheshire

Smash Rookie
The menus in this game were definitely a step down from what we had before. I can memorize where everything is, but it's just... awkward. Having the vault and some of the main modes relegated to a section in Games & More was odd to me when most people probably do Classic Mode or look at trophies when not playing online or local. And while this isn't a fault of the game itself, FamilyTeam brought up a wonderful point about the Smash fanbases' complaints about characters. It'd be nice if they could stand to adapt, or at least attempt to adapt instead of whining.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
What I'll never understand is why Rosalina's air speed is just so slow. I would think that because of he levitation powers, she'd be much more mobile in the air than most other fighters; only Yoshi and Jigglypuff would be faster than her while in the air.
I thought Sakurai said that Rosalina is manipulating gravity to make herself floatier or something like that.

Anyway, my gear-grinders?

- Sonic's existence.
- The lack of Target Test.
- The existence of Smash Tour.
- The lack of an Adventure Mode.
- Zero Skill Spamus Suit Samus.
- The lack of Wolf.
- Getting booted back to the title screen for waiting too long.
- The mass genocide of all those poor replays.
- People who misspell Sheik as "Shiek".

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Online lag has rarely affected me, but it sucks none the less.

-Getting the same custom moves more than once. Just... why? Custom Equipment I can sell...
-Smash Tour being hard to understand how to use items. It's a confusing mode in general. Fun concept, though.
-People on For Glory/For Fun who never change characters. It's not fun getting stomped by the same guy.
-Ganondorf's lag itself. Yep. He's got a lot of lag for those legs...
-Two FE characters as DLC. I don't mind 6 FE characters in general. I like all 6 choices. I just wish DLC was a less lopsided towards some series. I'm not exactly all that mad or anything, just felt it could be done a little better.

TheAmazingMemer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Faves3000
3DS FC
4940-5681-4585
Oh, let's see...
  • All those ridiculous challenges, like the one that has you to play Classic 9.0 without losing any lives
  • Target Blast. Why put in a new mode that isn't fun over one that was?
  • That "Pika-CHUUU" noise Pika makes every single damn time he uses his Neutral B (especially with the more spammy players)
  • For Glory. All of it. Because 9 times out of 10, I get my ass kicked for some asinine reason
  • You have to start with the 2 Minute ruleset every time you start the game. And you have to change it to stock every time you start the game.
  • Classic mode. It's just a big, unfair s**tfest. Items...
  • (Big dumb rant incoming) The stupid amount of stages that I just can't play on because they're too hectic. I don't want 50+ clones of Final Destination. If I wanted to, I would've played on Final f**king Destination. It gets boring after god knows how many matches I've played on that flat surface. What's worse, it feels like they're using this as an excuse to make their stages more full of bull****. "Well, we got what we think is the most fair stage and made everything else a skin of it, so the competitive community is fine." Bulls**t, we need variety. We need more than 3 stages that are okay to play on competitively. We don't want this "Make everything FD" mess. Were getting desperate (i.e. making Delfino Plaza tournament legal). This has been a major gripe with all Smash games, but I think 4 is the worst offender here.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Oh, let's see...
  • (Big dumb rant incoming) The stupid amount of stages that I just can't play on because they're too hectic. I don't want 50+ clones of Final Destination. If I wanted to, I would've played on Final f**king Destination. It gets boring after god knows how many matches I've played on that flat surface. What's worse, it feels like they're using this as an excuse to make their stages more full of bull****. "Well, we got what we think is the most fair stage and made everything else a skin of it, so the competitive community is fine." Bulls**t, we need variety. We need more than 3 stages that are okay to play on competitively. We don't want this "Make everything FD" mess. Were getting desperate (i.e. making Delfino Plaza tournament legal). This has been a major gripe with all Smash games, but I think 4 is the worst offender here.
To me it seems like Smash 4 is the Smash game with the most stages that are potentially tournament legal:
Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, Town & City, Dreamland 64, Duck Hunt, Lylat Cruise, Delfino Plaza, Halberd, Castle Siege, Umbra Clock Tower.
I mean, it's sad to think that only 2 stages from that list are new stages (D. Hunt and UCT) but atleast we got plenty of old legal ones.

TheAmazingMemer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Faves3000
3DS FC
4940-5681-4585
To me it seems like Smash 4 is the Smash game with the most stages that are potentially tournament legal:
Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, Town & City, Dreamland 64, Duck Hunt, Lylat Cruise, Delfino Plaza, Halberd, Castle Siege, Umbra Clock Tower.
I mean, it's sad to think that only 2 stages from that list are new stages (D. Hunt and UCT) but atleast we got plenty of old legal ones.
Yeah, you got a point, but that 50+ FD clones thing is still ridiculous, even if it was in the best interest of pandering to the competitive community.

Top Bottom