• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What other retro character could be in the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Duck Hunt Dog would be my ideal retro pick. Iconic NES-era character who is perfect for trolling people.
How would Duck Hunt Dog work as a playable character? I am curious.

I am thinking the retro character for Sm4sh will be Takamaru, but Duck Hunt Dog could be interesting too.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
How would Duck Hunt Dog work as a playable character? I am curious.

I am thinking the retro character for Sm4sh will be Takamaru, but Duck Hunt Dog could be interesting too.
Ever seen the Smash Bros Crusade video of him? Somewhat like that. But I'd like to see the gun integrated into his moveset.

Reila

Ever seen the Smash Bros Crusade video of him? Somewhat like that. But I'd like to see the gun integrated into his moveset.
I dunno if Nintendo would allow a gun in Smash Bros. I mean, even Snake doesn't use them. I watched the video and his moveset is pretty cool.

Consider me a supporter.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I dunno if Nintendo would allow a gun in Smash Bros. I mean, even Snake doesn't use them. I watched the video and his moveset is pretty cool.

Consider me a supporter.
It would be a Super Scope weapon, not an actual gun.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig

Consider me a supporter.
Cause that stopped Fox, Falco or Wolf with theirs. As well as a ray gun item, they are in the game.

DHD would work with having a firing Blaster much like the above 3, throwing clay pigeons, grabbing onto ducks etc etc. His games have more to offer than they appear. I was skeptical at first but came around to love the idea

Reila

It would be a Super Scope weapon, not an actual gun.
I see.
Cause that stopped Fox, Falco or Wolf with theirs. As well as a ray gun item, they are in the game.

DHD would work with having a firing Blaster much like the above 3, throwing clay pigeons, grabbing onto ducks etc etc. His games have more to offer than they appear. I was skeptical at first but came around to love the idea
Yeah, because sci-fi laser guns are the same thing as revolvers.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Probably helps to know this:

The Famicom version of the Zapper, made for the game Wild Gunman, resembled a revolver-style handgun,[1] but the North American version resembled a futuristic science fiction ray gun with a color scheme matching the NES.
Nice to know the revolver was made as a zapper for another game but I'm talking duck hunt, which meant the orange/gray zapper. You know, the one they featured on the cover:

I'm well aware there was a revolver style fun but was never bundled with DH or apparently in the US. (Have to look in on that, they may have.)

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Probably helps to know this:

Nice to know the revolver was made as a zapper for another game but I'm talking duck hunt, which meant the orange/gray zapper. You know, the one they featured on the cover:

I'm well aware there was a revolver style fun but was never bundled with DH or apparently in the US. (Have to look in on that, they may have.)
I know. lol. I'm just showing you that a revolver is a thing. lol

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
I know. lol. I'm just showing you that a revolver is a thing. lol
In that case, it actually does look pretty decent for its time. Kind of sad I never had one but then again I did like my orange zapper.

Back on topic:

I wouldn't mind them pulling off a complete wtf character with the Prince of Hyrule

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
They can always use the North American version of the NES Zapper... hell, use the orange one!

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I tend to want every character and as many characters as I can get, so list time.

1st Parties:
Mike from Star Tropics
Takamaru
Lololo from Kirby/Adventures of Lolo.
A seven costume character that represents every koopa kid.
Donkey Kong Jr.
Stanley From Donkey Kong 3
Sheriff
Duck Hunt Dog
Balloon Fighter
Nester from Nester's Funky Bowling

Third Parties:
Bub and Bob
Bonk
Bomberman
Simon Belmont
Ryu Hayabusa
Pac Man
Mega Man
Mike Haggar
Cody
Guy
Mad Gear
Kunio-Kun
Battletoads
Double Dragons
Abobo
Contra Guys

Dr.Megaman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dr.MM20XX
3DS FC
1392-5817-5075
I tend to want every character and as many characters as I can get, so list time.

1st Parties:
Mike from Star Tropics
Takamaru
Lololo from Kirby/Adventures of Lolo.
A seven costume character that represents every koopa kid.
Donkey Kong Jr.
Stanley From Donkey Kong 3
Sheriff
Duck Hunt Dog
Balloon Fighter
Nester from Nester's Funky Bowling

Third Parties:
Bub and Bob
Bonk
Bomberman
Simon Belmont
Ryu Hayabusa
Pac Man
Mega Man
Mike Haggar
Cody
Guy
Mad Gear
Kunio-Kun
Battletoads
Double Dragons
Abobo
Contra Guys
Remember, DK Jr. is really the Donkey Kong we know today...

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Remember, DK Jr. is really the Donkey Kong we know today...
He is, but both the DK we know today and DK Jr. were in Mario Tennis on N64. Plus DK Jr was adorable back on the original Mario Kart. How could I not want that baby gorilla swinging into smash?

And yes, if Nester wasn't from Nintendo Power, I probably wouldn't have said him, Nester's Funky Bowling wasn't much of a franchise.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
He is, but both the DK we know today and DK Jr. were in Mario Tennis on N64. Plus DK Jr was adorable back on the original Mario Kart. How could I not want that baby gorilla swinging into smash?

And yes, if Nester wasn't from Nintendo Power, I probably wouldn't have said him, Nester's Funky Bowling wasn't much of a franchise.
We don't actually know that. Heck, Diddy Kong was originally intended to be a redesigned DK Jr. I would like official confirmation on the relationships between all the various Kongs. I personally think Nintendo abandoned the idea of Donkey Kong being the son/grandson of the original Donkey Kong, they certainly seem to have distanced themselves from that idea.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig

I thought they tried saying Cranky was the original DK and the DK we know today was the son of DK Jr. Either that or all apes were named DK for some random reason.

No idea why people are hating on Nester. He may not have been the largest living icon from Nintendo Power but he still was a part of their history. I really like the idea of bringing him into the series, although he would probably have the same style as Villager but much different moves.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
A potential candidate for a "retro character" might be Mach Rider, or maybe even Bill Rizer from Contra. I'm not entirely sure of any other retro characters that might be applicable for a fighting game environment, so I'd assume that the only other retro character that might remotely have a chance is Pac-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom