• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What other retro character could be in the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207

Mac is not retro.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It can be kind of hard to predict this kind of character. All we can assume is that Sakurai would pick a character that has alot of potential. I think that's why Takamaru is a popular choice here at this site. He does have a lot of stuff up his sleeves. Maybe he can revisit an older idea with the Excitebike guy.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'm all down for Takamaru or Mach Rider as good retro choices. Also Bubbles to provide a Retro/WTF character

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Whatever franchise Sakurai thinks has the most potential for revival, it's pretty much guarenteed that Takamaru's franchise will be, but predicting the other is tricky, I hope it's Sable's game.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Whatever franchise Sakurai thinks has the most potential for revival, it's pretty much guarenteed that Takamaru's franchise will be, but predicting the other is tricky, I hope it's Sable's game.
I don't think it's as guaranteed as people think.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Mike from Startropics is someone I'd actually be interested in seeing, though unlikely.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
*coughSabure Princecough*

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Most iconic retro guy from the days of kid icarus and punch out is Simon Belmont of the Castlevania games, I want him in just for the kickass music to be honest, but he has more moveset potential than some retro nintendo characters like
Takamaru, Balloon Fighter, Muddy Mole (Mole Mania), and Tamagon (Devil World).

Although I'd be very pleased if all of the aforementioned characters were to appear in smash some day.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Mac is not retro.
Honestly, I still consider Little Mac a retro addition.

Personally, though, out of all picks, Lip. Takamaru is once again another sword user, and if we've already got several new sword users this time plus have Takamaru, it'd really start to get annoying. He has some projectile attacks, but I'm really not sure how well that'd go.

I think Lip would be a better choice if we're going on the assumption that we don't already have our retro (Little Mac) and hardware (Wii Fit Trainer) reps yet. Although frankly I'm starting to believe that we do, and yes I'm aware of Punch Out's brief revival in Punch Out Wii.

Most iconic retro guy from the days of kid icarus and punch out is Simon Belmont of the Castlevania games, I want him in just for the kickass music to be honest, but he has more moveset potential than some retro nintendo characters like
Takamaru, Balloon Fighter, Muddy Mole, and Tamagon (Devil World).

Although I'd be very pleased if all of the aforementioned characters were to appear in smash some day.
Once again not Nintendo. If we get any Konami character, we'll get Snake back instead of Simon Belmont.

Khao

Smash Lord
I think the best choice would be Jeff Spangenberg, founder of Retro Studios.

They could always add a more relevant employee to current times, but the founder should be a priority over everyone else.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Once again not Nintendo. If we get any Konami character, we'll get Snake back instead of Simon Belmont.
I was saying he had more moveset potential than nintendo's retro characters who aren't already in the roster. He didn't specify that the retro additions had to be nintendo characters. And I agree, Snake = 1 million times greater than Simon.

Hong

The Strongest
Mach Rider is one of my favourite arcade games, and I don't mind picking it up every now and then when I am feeling a little masochistic.

Sure, I'll take him.

Edit - Oh, put me down for Lip, too. I still play that game, too.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I was saying he had more moveset potential than nintendo's retro characters who aren't already in the roster. He didn't specify that the retro additions had to be nintendo characters. And I agree, Snake = 1 million times greater than Simon.
It can be assumed that its about Nintendo Retro characters, because we've never gotten a Retro character that isn't Nintendo.

Mega Man is based on his Retro design, but he's had numerous games since then, so its hard to call him "Retro."

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Takamaru and Mach Rider are the only ones i care about right now. Specifically for Smash

Last edited:
For classic NES characters, Mach Rider and Bubbles appeal to me. So does Lolo, but I'm not sure who holds the rights to him now.

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
Well if we are going based on what we have seen thus far in this iteration of Smash, I would say Balloon Fighter, however his shtick is already being used by the Villager. Not to say that he's impossible(see Villager using boxing gloves similar to Mac's) but I think he's unlikely at this point. Takamaru probably has the best chance, with a whole mini game dedicated to him in Nintendo Land, as well as his game finally coming to the West for the first time through re-release on the Virtual Console, among other cameo appearances, I think he is the most likely. I would also support Bubbles(for some Clu Clu Land love) or my favorite choice the Duck Hunt Dog(Smash gives Duck Hunt no love, this needs to change.) I would also accept Lip or Starman from Pro Wrestling, but their odds are considerably lower(this goes for pretty much all retro characters not named Takamaru). Sakurai loves to surprise us, so I think it will be awesome no matter who gets picked.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

Uhh... no?
Barring "newer" IPs like Pikmin, Mario (for example) is just as retro.

Most of these characters date back to NES days, Pokemon to Gameboy. Some like Fox to SNES.

Are you really trying to tell me those aren't retro? What the heck is your definition of retro?

Last edited by a moderator:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Barring "newer" IPs like Pikmin, Mario (for example) is just as retro.

Most of these characters date back to NES days, Pokemon to Gameboy. Some like Fox to SNES.

Are you really trying to tell me those aren't retro? What the heck is your definition of retro?
You said "Under this logic isn't every character in Smash basically retro?"

You can't just back pedal and now change what you meant.

D

Deleted member 245254

You said "Under this logic isn't every character in Smash basically retro?"

You can't just back pedal and now change what you meant.
I'm not back pedaling, *you're* the one nit-picking.

When I said "basically" every character I meant pretty much most...with the exception of Olimar.

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
I am definitely rooting for Mike Jones. Although, I would like to see Stanley the Bugman, too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom