• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What if Smash stayed 100% canon to the source material?

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

I think the 8-inches thingy might have been a bit of an exaggeration, considering how big Kirby is compared to Samus in Dreamland 3, either that or people magically shrink on Popstar. It's really confusing, honestly.
That's just a small cameo though, it doesn't mean much, hell it's never even stated that it's actually samus anyway

D

Deleted member

Guys I just realized something.

:4villager: would be bottom tier in this because he wouldn't be able to jump and the Villagers in the Animal Crossing games are as docile as can be. R.I.P. Killager.

Endurrr

Smash Cadet
Dedede's Gordo wouldn't be able to be reflected by attacking it, because its invincible and unstoppable in the kirby games. However, he wouldn't be able to chuck gordos... But he might be able to summon Waddle Dees on parasols via screaming for help, like in Squeak Squad.
The rest of his moveset would be limited to inhale forward smash Dedede jump and dash attack

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Lol pokémon type advantages would cause them to fight pretty hilariously.

Charizard would spam rock smash against Greninja, shadow sneak, shadow ball, and the dragon rush custom would not affect Jigglypuff, Jigglypuff would spam rollout against Charizard, confusion would not affect Greninja, and the matchups would entirely be dependent on the type advantage, assuming Jigglypuff and Pikachu are a MUCH higher level than everyone else, and Mewtwo is lower.

Other funny interactions would be that Mewtwo's up-B would instantly end the battle as a no contest, Mewtwo's side-B would have a chance to confuse the opponent, which would cause them to hit themselves occasionally when attacking for a little while, Mewtwo's down-B would actually prevent the opponent from using their last move for a while (wouldn't that be a cool actual mechanic though?), Rest would heal all of Jiggly's damage, but she would not wake up even if hit until the move ends, Rock smash would break shields, Hydro pump would do a LOT more damage, after Lucario used double team, there would be a chance that every attack would miss, and the effect would stack if he does it multiple times, Substitute would basically give Greninja 25% of super armor, but would not stack, and quick attack, shadow sneak, and extreme speed would all always hit before the opponent's attack.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Also: Mario's FLUDD would damage Charizard. Badly.

Speaking of FLUDD, that thing would work massively differently, anyway.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My good comrade @Spinny made a tier list of all the characters if they were "canonized". What do you guys think?

Khao

Smash Lord
I actually once had the idea once to make a Smash Bros fangame where all characters would have exactly the same mechanics they have in their original games. It wouldn't actually be just canon, but characters would work exactly as they do in the original games. It'd be impossible to balance due to how different everyone works, but if nothing else it would be a fun experiment.

Mario would need to jump over his opponent three times to win, but he can only take two hits and he's gone.

Mega Man can do nothing but Jump and Shoot, but would gain an additional move if he defeats his opponent once within the match.

Link would be based on Adventure of Link, having sword stabs, sword beams when at full health, and up/down stabs when holding up/down in midair. Also a magic bar and a bunch of spells.

Samus would likely be OP even if she purposely does a **** amount of damage and takes a lot of damage. All of her abilities, the speed at which she can shoot, and having infinite jumps that deal damage on contact would make her pretty much undefeatable.

Kirby would not have any moves other than a sliding kick unless he copies his opponents. Instead of gaining a specific move of each fighter, he has a few generic abilities that are assigned on what fits best. For example, Link and Marth would both make him transform into Sword Kirby, and both Samus and Fox would make him Beam Kirby.

Marth would be complicated as ****. Basically, he could only move by selecting a spot on the stage with a cursor and he'd automatically move there. After moving, you can select to attack in any of four directions. If you manage to attack in the correct direction at just the right time to catch your opponent within the square you pretty much win the match because there'd be a transition to a FE style match on which the opponent can't do anything. Since this **** would be so ridiculously difficult to land, this is a one hit kill against any character. If you fail, your turn ends, and won't resume until your opponent makes any kind of attack. While Marth is stuck in a turn based-system, he still takes damage in real time, and will die if his life reaches 0 even if it's currently his turn. He'd be pretty much screwed against characters with projectiles because they can just avoid him whenever it's his turn. Also Marth VS Marth battles would be ****ing moronic because the first Marth who moves is the winner, lol. To make things a bit more fair for him, if he takes damage while he's not in his turn, and his opponent is within range of the four squares, he gets to counter attack Fire Emblem Style. That'd make Marth ****ing useless against projectile-based characters, but completely broken against melee based ones.

So yeah, this would be pretty fun to see, and I once even started programming it. I got Mario and Megaman's physics down, but never even made the multiplayer, which was the whole ****ing point. Got bored, never got back to it.

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master

My good comrade @Spinny made a tier list of all the characters if they were "canonized". What do you guys think?
Smash 4 tier lists made back in October 2014 are more accurate than this (yes, this is a little harsh). Jigglypuff at mid? Lucas at the bottom? Kirby above Mewtwo? Ganondorf not top tier?

Last edited:

TSmasher1000

Smash Rookie
Smash 4 tier lists made back in October 2014 are more accurate than this (yes, this is a little harsh). Jigglypuff at mid? Lucas at the bottom? Kirby above Mewtwo? Ganondorf not top tier?
I actually agree with the Kirby above Mewtwo. Kirby is a beast that can destroy planets with a single strike. Mewtwo in anime (we're not going by in game because he doesn't really have any real measurable feats there) has the storm as his greatest feat that is only implied to be able to eventually destroy the planet, but still not as impressive as something that can destroy the planet in single strikes. Other than that, yeah not that good of a tier list sorry to say.

Zorthax

Smash Rookie
The tier list would have to be split into two parts: protagonists and antagonists.
Because the good guys always win and the bad guys always lose.

Furret24

Smash Master
I actually agree with the Kirby above Mewtwo. Kirby is a beast that can destroy planets with a single strike. Mewtwo in anime (we're not going by in game because he doesn't really have any real measurable feats there) has the storm as his greatest feat that is only implied to be able to eventually destroy the planet, but still not as impressive as something that can destroy the planet in single strikes. Other than that, yeah not that good of a tier list sorry to say.
Oh yeah, forgot about that one minigame. Nevermind. :|

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Sonic would be impossible to play as, you hit :GCL: with him and you instantly die because he's already off the screen.

Jigglypuff would be ridiculously overpowered because, while she'd be weaker than most characters, she'd be able to put them to sleep by singing with her microphone which amplifies the radius of her attack to ridiculous extents, she puts whole crowds to sleep in the anime, so it'll probably hit, and then, when it does, since they stay asleep for minutes, that's more than enough to time to drag anyone off the stage, she'd literally get free stocks every time you press :GCU::GCB:. #NERFTHEPUFF
So Brawl-?

:4falcon: and :4fox:would'nt even be in the game.
:4drmario: would attack by dropping pills on people from the safety of the screen borders.
:4kirby::4ganondorf::4samus::rosalina::4palutena:and:4mewtwo:would be stupidly overpowered.
:4megaman: would grow stronger every time he beat somebody new.
Sheik's Needles and Sonic's up throw would immediately kill him.
:4bowser: would be several times larger than everybody else.
:4metaknight: would be able to heal himself, make himself faster, summon henchmen, and just might be even more broken than in Brawl.

Khao

Smash Lord
So yeah, this would be pretty fun to see, and I once even started programming it. I got Mario and Megaman's physics down, but never even made the multiplayer, which was the whole ****ing point. Got bored, never got back to it.
OKAY SO I STARTED DIGGING AROUND SOME OLD FILES.

Found the thing I said I made.

Spent a couple of hours doing some adjustments.

And now this is a thing.

It's super crude and basic but as I thought, it's really cool as a fun experiment.

Just gotta get someone to play with, haha.

Last edited:

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Corrin's canon material would turn the game into a harem simulator.

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
:4sonic: Imagine if his Homing Attack worked just like it did in the Adventure games. And you all thought his Spin Dash was spammable!

MidwesternHawk

Smash Cadet
NNID
newsimcity2013
:4charizard::4lucario::4mewtwo:Mega evolutions are not invincible
:4myfriends: would be as fast or faster than :4marth:and:4lucina:and have a projectile from Ragnell, and have the ability to use an ax, with high weight(heavy), with the same strength, in other words, broken
:4charizard: is near guaranteed to lose to :4greninja:, and as Mega Charizard X loses to :4marth:/:4jigglypuff:/:4feroy:/:4lucina:/(:4corrin:(could win)
:4ryu: would have six buttons to fight and only having command inputs
:4lucina: has the right to a lance and a horizontal Aether, but average weight and stronger than :4myfriends:
:4marth:if he has a rapier, it would do higher damage to :4samus:/:4metaknight:, same attack as :4myfriends: but average weight
:4shulk: Monado Buster would do increased damage to :4megaman:/:4rob:, but Monado Arts must be charged and all of his specials act like a one use tome with a wait time
:4lucas:Hitting attacks to the music create a combo
:4cloud:can only attack every so often, but not turn based like :4corrin::4myfriends::4jigglypuff::4lucario::4lucas::4lucina::4marth::4mewtwo::4ness::4pikachu::4robinm::4feroy:
:4ganondorf:Would use magic and swords
:4zss:would be weaker than :4samus:
:4villager:can't jump
:4robinm: has cannot use the Light/Dark Nosferatu and would have only one or two lightning series specials

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I'm fairly sure :4villager: would still be able to defend himself with an axe.
That short, pathetic axe.
In a world full of people who can spew fire out of their hands or have melee weapons far longer than that thing.

Also, how the hell would :4gaw: be? He isn't even an actual character, he's just the Game and Watch games represented under a single figure. He'd be an actual Game and Watch, then? He'd attack people by making bleeps at them while they play a game running at 60 frames per minute? (I'm farily sure Mario's Cement Factory ran at that speed)

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I'm fairly sure :4villager: would still be able to defend himself with an axe.
That short, pathetic axe.
In a world full of people who can spew fire out of their hands or have melee weapons far longer than that thing.

Also, how the hell would :4gaw: be? He isn't even an actual character, he's just the Game and Watch games represented under a single figure. He'd be an actual Game and Watch, then? He'd attack people by making bleeps at them while they play a game running at 60 frames per minute? (I'm farily sure Mario's Cement Factory ran at that speed)
Wouldn't game and watch be 2D? As in people wouldn't really be able to do anything to him?

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
If he was an actual living being, then I'm sure you'd only be able to see him from the front or back. Also, I heard that, if he was 2D, he wouldn't be able to see anything in 3D, and he'd be infinitely sharp, so punch him wouldn't be a good idea.
I think that'd instantly make him Top Tier...

Khao

Smash Lord
Every single character in Smash and their original game is represented by a 2D image on a screen, I don't see why Game & Watch would be special in that sense.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Every single character in Smash and their original game is represented by a 2D image on a screen, I don't see why Game & Watch would be special in that sense.
Good one...
No seriously, in-game, everyone is 3D. Mr. Game and Watch isn't.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
:4mewtwo: with Me First would be pretty damn OP considering it allows him to strike with moves that even he himself can't use, but i don't know what effect it would do with these types of enemies.

Also, what weaponry would :4samus: and :4megaman: get? Because if they get full access to their weaponry from their entire series then they'd be insane.........and i just thought about Composite :4link:......

:4bayonetta: is also ridiculously OP as well as she can change weapon combinations basically on the fly and can slow down time with a well-placed dodge and if we count her overall feats, she would trump almost anyone on the roster (though good luck killing :4ganondorf: as only the Link's can do that).

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
:4bayonetta: is also ridiculously OP as well, as she can change weapon combinations basically on the fly and can slow down time with a well-placed dodge, and if we count her overall feats, she would trump almost anyone on the roster.
...She hasn't been out yet, but, all right.

D

Deleted member

...She hasn't been out yet, but, all right.
Still doesn't change the fact that her abilities have been showcased in a prevalent manner in her own games. This topic is about staying canon to the source after all.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Still doesn't change the fact that her abilities have been showcased in a prevalent manner in her own games. This topic is about staying canon to the source after all.
I kind of forgot about that. Heh. XD

Khao

Smash Lord
Good one...
No seriously, in-game, everyone is 3D. Mr. Game and Watch isn't.
Well, that's in Smash. We're talking about canon source material. Plus, 3D characters are always still rendered in two dimensions.

Either way, pretty much every single one of these characters started out in a 2D game, with sprites and stuff, yet we don't talk about them as if being 2D is part of who they are. So I don't think we should be giving Game & Watch any special attributes. For one, shouldn't Ice Climbers be given the same weaknesses and advantages considering they were never in a non-2D game?

Better question: forget about Smash entirely. Are the Game & Watch characters 2D in their original console because they're supposed to be perceived that way within their world, or is that simply the way they happened represented within the console for several reasons? (like technological limitations, or stylistic choices)

I would say they weren't supposed to be perceived as 2D. They're like any other character doing things in a world, 2D is just the way they're being shown to us. While playing on a Game & Watch, you weren't thinking about how 2D characters were. It wasn't a flat entity doing things with other flat entities, but an "actual" diver hunting for an "actual" treasure while avoiding an "actual" octopus. Or an actual dude juggling some balls. If you manage to get yourself immersed into these worlds and characters (as hard as that would be considering how simplistic they were =P) you would no longer be thinking about LCD displays, or flat people.

EDIT: Then again, that's just a different way to look at it. After all, I was talking about actual game mechanics in my previous post up there, which would likely not be a thing if these were actual people in a real world doing real things. I very much doubt Marth, as a character is supposed to move in turns if you also manage to get immersed into his world, but **** it, it's fun to think about. =P

Last edited:

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Well, that's in Smash. We're talking about canon source material. Plus, 3D characters are always still rendered in two dimensions.

Either way, pretty much every single one of these characters started out in a 2D game, with sprites and stuff, yet we don't talk about them as if being 2D is part of who they are. So I don't think we should be giving Game & Watch any special attributes. For one, shouldn't Ice Climbers be given the same weaknesses and advantages considering they were never in a non-2D game?

Better question: forget about Smash entirely. Are the Game & Watch characters 2D in their original console because they're supposed to be perceived that way within their world, or is that simply the way they happened represented within the console for several reasons? (like technological limitations, or stylistic choices)

I would say they weren't supposed to be perceived as 2D. They're like any other character doing things in a world, 2D is just the way they're being shown to us. While playing on a Game & Watch, you weren't thinking about how 2D characters were. It wasn't a flat entity doing things with other flat entities, but an "actual" diver hunting for an "actual" treasure while avoiding an "actual" octopus. Or an actual dude juggling some balls. If you manage to get yourself immersed into these worlds and characters (as hard as that would be considering how simplistic they were =P) you would no longer be thinking about LCD displays, or flat people.
I guess I took your former question too literally, I presume. Thanks for going out of your way to explain that... I think. :confused:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
:4duckhunt: would do nothing but hide in the grass and laugh at every loser.

:4pacman: His only means of hurting everyone would be to eat a Power Pellet and chomp them.

:4miif: They would only use nothing but material from their games (Wii Sports, Fit, Play Party) instead of being OoC serious.

:4bayonetta: should show much more skin after using her Wicked Weave and Climaxes while making dirtier innuendos.

:4wiifit: would rather do some real exercises with her audience instead of wasting her time with the Smash crew.

:4dk: would bust the moon on everyone instead of being a lazy kong.

:4drmario: would just throw pills into a container instead of being like his Mushroom Kingdom self.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Sometimes I wonder the opposite, as in, what if you controlled characters in their original games like they controlled in smash?
Just a few thoughts. . .
Pokemon battles would be pretty intense
Kirby would be running around causing havoc with his combos on poor innocent looking creatures
Villager would accidentally cause a genocide
Little mac could super armor through everything and rush his opponents down. Forget dodging.

I really want to play a Kirby game with his smash controls now. It seems like fun!

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
How about "Real Super Smash Bros. 4"? That way, it doesn't look like Yoda became a video game creatator
Actually the 4 Real part is a pun on For Real...

Just like in reverse, "for 3DS" and "for Wii U" are puns for "4 3DS" and "4 Wii U" identifying the game as the 4th installment.

Last edited:

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
Pokémon technically wouldn't mega evolve because they need a trainer with a strong bond with them. And no one mentioned Critical Hits with 12.5% chances of happening at every attack? 1.5 damage and knockback lol
Criticals are also in FF7 and probably FE (don't know because haven't played) but I don't remember the percentage or requirement for that happening.

D

Deleted member 269706

:4falcon: Falcon Punch would be game breaking to say the least: http://youtu.be/esY2zdIsKaI (Skip to 0:54)

:4myfriends: Aether would recover some of his HP. Also he would be able to throw his sword and use Axes at will.

:4robinf: Would not have Nosferato but could use some other nasty tomes. Also her final smash could be pretty disgusting but I won't say cause spoilers.

:4marth:/:4lucina:/:4feroy: would have actual range on their swords...

:4peach::rosalina::4villager::4wiifit: Would all be pretry close to useless.

Top Bottom