• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What has Nintendo done to upset you?

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
That was not funny the first time I heard this, from Dane Cook on one of his stand-up albums released a looking time ago

And it is still not funny... you did not even say/type it right. Unless you maybe thought your interpretation would be better,

OR you purposely misquoted it so no one would realize you are recycling Dane Cook's "humor"
Booooo
Dane Cook made an ice cream bit? That's pretty serendipitous.

I think I watched one of Cook's HBO specials a few years back. The only bit that I still remember is the one where the atheist is reborn as a tree and chopped down to be used as pages for the Bible. My sphere of stand-up comedy leans more to George Carlin and Steven Wright and Louis C.K..

Speaking of, Cook once appeared on CK's HBO series Louie, where Louie asks for Lady Gaga tickets for his daughter, only for Cook to bring up his resentment of popular accusations that he stole some of CK's stand-up material.

And much like Cook to CK in that show, I reject all allegations that I cribbed a very low-hanging-fruit quip from Cook's portfolio -- whose contents I've hardly browsed.

This is getting very weird and metatextual.

Which is why I'll say for thread posterity that I'm not sure in what ways Nintendo has upset or disappointed me. I just play the games. I'm a terribly vanilla gamer and a terribly hack quipper, apparently.

Last edited:

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
Dane Cook made an ice cream bit? That's pretty serendipitous.

I think I watched one of Cook's HBO specials a few years back. The only bit that I still remember is the one where the atheist is reborn as a tree and chopped down to be used as pages for the Bible. My sphere of stand-up comedy leans more to George Carlin and Steven Wright and Louis C.K..

Speaking of, Cook once appeared on CK's HBO series Louie, where Louie asks for Lady Gaga tickets for his daughter, only for Cook to bring up his resentment of popular accusations that he stole some of CK's stand-up material.

And much like Cook to CK in that show, I reject all allegations that I cribbed a very lowdhanging-fruit quip from Cook's portfolio -- whose contents I've hardly browsed.

This is getting very weird and metatextual.

Which is why I'll say for thread posterity that I'm not sure in what ways Nintendo has upset or disappointed me. I just play the games. I'm a terribly vanilla gamer and a terribly hack quipper, apparently.
Lolz, over react much?

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Lolz, over react much?
You kind of came out of nowhere and cried foul over allegations of stand-up plagiarism. Which is in itself an overreaction. Unless you're trolling. In which case I'd like you to consider that you're twenty-six years of age.

Whatever the case, I recommend we bring this to a close (since we veer off-topic). This will be my last post on the matter.

:4pacman:

FinalArcadia

Smash Cadet
NNID
FinalArcadia
I will probably never be over my disappointment at Paper Mario: Sticker Star, aka the most unenjoyable Nintendo-published game I have probably ever played. I'm upset that we got that mess of a game at all, and I'm not sure where more blame should go (Nintendo, Intelligent Systems, the people on Club Nintendo who said they didn't care about the plot in Super Paper Mario (??????), or Shigeru Miyamoto who supposedly said he didn't want a TTYD 2).

I'll spoiler my huge rant because it... got pretty long, oops:

The game is a disaster, with the only positive point being the graphics. I guess? They're kinda bland in environments and lack the personality of the GC/Wii games somehow, but they're all right. Everything else? Awful. The soundtrack was so boring that it's the only time I've played Paper Mario and not cared about having the volume loud, it was like elevator music. The plot? AHAHA what plot? That sorry excuse of Bowser kidnapping Peach again, a total, watered down rehash of the original N64 game but without even a milliliter of personality out of Bowser OR Peach? It's a shame after we got that fantastic plot in Super Paper Mario with really memorable villains, and I just don't get why - even with the supposed Club Nintendo thing (ugh why) - eliminate having a solid plot, since it's not like people weren't buying SPM. It sold, so it's not like the well-written story was hurting sales.

Where was Luigi, outside of a small cameo? True, he wasn't hardly in Mario RPG either, but that game was well-done in all other regards. And where were partners? Anybody? Kersti was such a wet blanket of a character, and any attempts at humor they gave her with her sarcasm just fell flat in the face of the past games. And then the towns... or lack thereof. Toad Town was a sad, sad little shadow of the vibrant Toad Town in PM64. All the locations are so lacking in character that it hurts. Nothing like the Crystal Palace, Excess Express, Count Bleck's Castle... nothing worth noting at all in Sticker Star.

Super Paper Mario gets a lot of flak for being different from the first two. But it was still fun. It still had the very essence of Paper Mario, and I personally loved it. But Sticker Star? There is no reason for that game to have the Paper Mario moniker.

Honestly? I'd have rather had a 3DS port/remake/whatever of ANY of the previous three games in the series than this utterly awful game. And I'm upset that we have no news of any future games to possible make up for this one, so Sticker Star is stuck being that bad taste constantly left in my mouth toward this series. And seeing it in Smash 3DS... whhhyyyy

Another complaint is that Nintendo of America could really do with giving people more DS/3DS and beyond colors to choose from. I know Japan got some really cool DS colors years ago like green, and it seems like the only way to get green in NA is from special promo-type things with Luigi on them. And while I love Luigi, sometimes you just want a plain-colored system.

The fact that Star Fox was neglected for so long before Miyamoto stepped in for the Wii U game also kinda hurts. I'm cautiously optimistic about the new game, though. I just hope it doesn't have the ugly character designs from Command and instead goes for a more Assault look.

Felix the Slayer

Ret-2-Go!
3DS FC
3093-7620-3358
The fact that Star Fox was neglected for so long before Miyamoto stepped in for the Wii U game also kinda hurts. I'm cautiously optimistic about the new game, though. I just hope it doesn't have the ugly character designs from Command and instead goes for a more Assault look.
Nintendo's finally making a new Star Fox game?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
@ FinalArcadia FinalArcadia I hate Paper Mario: Sticker Star.
It's less Paper Mario and more turn-based New Super Mario Bros.
Hell, even Super Paper Mario, which was a quasi-platformer with "Super" in the title, was more unique from standard Mario games than this game.
Besides that, the gameplay, in all its simplicity, was a convoluted mess and simply not fun to play. Anyone who played Paper Mario or The Thousand-Year Door (all the way through) will know what it fundamentally wrong with this game. There's no experience system or leveling up, which means no reward for defeating enemies, including bosses, except for progression in the game's non-existent plot.
You have no partners except for the annoying Mario version of Navi, Kersti (creative name btw). By extension, there are no characters in this game that I could have any attachment too, as they were either generic Toads or antagonists, both of which were horribly one-note.
And don't get me started on the trial-and-error, fetch-quest nonsense of "Thing" stickers.

I really, really, really hope that there isn't another game like this one. This game was such a tremendous letdown, especially when compared to the glory of all the previous Paper Mario games.

Last edited:

Muttley

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3695-0540-9836
@ FinalArcadia FinalArcadia I hate Paper Mario: Sticker Star.
It's less Paper Mario and more turn-based New Super Mario Bros.
Hell, even Super Paper Mario, which was a quasi-platformer with "Super" in the title, was more unique from standard Mario games than this game.
Besides that, the gameplay, in all its simplicity, was a convoluted mess and simply not fun to play. Anyone who played Paper Mario or The Thousand-Year Door (all the way through) will know what it fundamentally wrong with this game. There's no experience system or leveling up, which means no reward for defeating enemies, including bosses, except for progression in the game's non-existent plot.
You have no partners except for the annoying Mario version of Navi, Kersti (creative name btw). By extension, there are no characters in this game that I could have any attachment too, as they were either generic Toads or antagonists, both of which were horribly one-note.
And don't get me started on the trial-and-error, fetch-quest nonsense of "Thing" stickers.

I really, really, really hope that there isn't another game like this one. This game was such a tremendous letdown, especially when compared to the glory of all the previous Paper Mario games.

I'm thankful to the people who played this game in time to tell the world not to bother with it so I didn't have to be insulted as a Paper Mario fan. Thousand Year Door will never be surpassed anyway. RIP gamecube era Nintendo.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm thankful to the people who played this game in time to tell the world not to bother with it so I didn't have to be insulted as a Paper Mario fan.
What makes it worse is that I had a gut feeling I would not like it just from the fact they axed partners. I was right.
Even worse is the fact Paper Mario finally gets representation in Smash - in the form of Sticker Star.

Thousand Year Door will never be surpassed anyway. RIP gamecube era Nintendo.
Agreed. At least we have the GameCube adapter.

Last edited:

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Now, first thing first, Nintendo is probably one of my favorite companies. But nothing is perfect, including Nintendo. So what has nintendo done recently or even way back that made you sad?
Mario Kart 8 upsets me. It had so much potential with its drop-dead gorgeous graphics but ultimately its horrible item distribution and balance, messed physics and laggy netcode ruin the on-line multiplayer experience.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Mario Kart 8 upsets me. It had so much potential with its drop-dead gorgeous graphics but ultimately its horrible item distribution and balance, messed physics and laggy netcode ruin the on-line multiplayer experience.
I actually really like Mario Kart 8. But Coins as items are by far idiotic when I get them 90% of the time in first or second. And then if I'm in second, I can never catch up to first because all I have is coins

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
What does nintendo do that I don't like?

Huh.

Haven't given that much thought before. I guess turning Titania from a resource world to a desert; can't tell if Starfox 64 is a remake with retcons or a prequel or a mistake in that regard

I took it to mean it was a prequel then I found out some things don't make sense in that interpretation

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
That is the most hilariously minor complaint and I love it.

Let's see... No Air Ride sequel. Hell, just give me 'City Trial 2.0' on the eshop for fifteen bucks or something and I'll be pleased.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
That one E3 where they announced Wii Music... I was so hurt, I couldn't stand 5 minutes playing Brawl afterward.

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
Delaying Brawl.

I was such a dweb, I actually took the time to whine and right a angry letter to Nintendo for ruining my pathetic teenage life. Thank goodness I grew up.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
I actually really like Mario Kart 8. But Coins as items are by far idiotic when I get them 90% of the time in first or second. And then if I'm in second, I can never catch up to first because all I have is coins
Not at all really, people are quick to hate on a system of items they don't understand. The item distribution actually creates for some very competitive gaming. Getting coins is not inherently a bad thing if you use them wisely. Besides, if you're getting coins, there is a reason, and it's generally falls into the, "you're way ahead of everyone else" logic.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Not at all really, people are quick to hate on a system of items they don't understand. The item distribution actually creates for some very competitive gaming. Getting coins is not inherently a bad thing if you use them wisely. Besides, if you're getting coins, there is a reason, and it's generally falls into the, "you're way ahead of everyone else" logic.

See this is why I like them and hate them. Like I shouldn't be getting things like Super Horns left and right, but it is incredibly frustrating to get four Coins in a row and be helpless to whatever comes at me, especially in mid-jump or glide. I do understand it, the ratio in which you get them is just a bit much however. Especially in the scenario I described before where if you're in second and can't manage to catch up due to just getting Coins all the time. Although I don't like how it works, the item system besides that is great and just hectic enough where I usually don't get too mad about it. Mario Kart Wii's items kind of threw me for a loop sometimes haha.

passworddots

Smash Rookie
That Nintendo doesn't trust Wario to do what he's best at really disappoints me. He has such potential to parody every thing Nintendo does, especially Mario games (how amazing would Super Wario Galaxy be?). Instead they think he's better for a gross, annoying version of Game and Watch. Sure, they put a lot of work into Wario Land: Shake It, and despite how solid it was it didn't sell well (like all the previous titles), but they haven't built hype around Wario the way they should; then the Nintendo thinks the games aren't wanted because Nintendo didn't boost them. Rosilina's existed for less than half the time of Wario or Daisy, and they've marketed her like she's the Nintendo version of Frozen.

Wario's so much cooler, Nintendo! Hype him. And make games for him that don't involve that horrible denim vest!

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Nintendo letting games like this come to the Wii U eShop (and yes, this is a real game that is apparently coming to eShop).
"This was a game created by me Jordan (20) and my 14 year old brother Garrett. We love the Montage Parody subreddit, and wanted to create a parody game based off that subreddit. In our free time, we made the game. We ended up sharing the game on Facebook amongst our friends for free. Everyone we knew loved the game and thought it was so funny. We then asked some people on Miiverse what they thought of the game. The reaction from the younger audience was amazing, thus we want to bring the game to the Wii U. Me and my brother wanted to make the game very difficult to beat, and the trailer doesn't even showcase all of the crazy events that happen during the song so you will just have to play it for yourselves to find out how crazy the game gets."
I'm only a year younger then Garret, but I know this is bull****, you watse all your programming knowledge on this crap?!?
I like Montage Parodies, but this should be a Flash game, not a game on a Nintendo home console.

It's pisses me off to think that people think, "what type games should we make for children?"
"DUHH... POP CULTURE JOKES AND FARTS JOKES, THAT MAKE THE KIDDIES LAUGH AND BUY OUR GAMES!"

Why do people think that children are ****ing stupid?

Last edited:

DDDchu

Smash Cadet
NNID
DDDchu96
3DS FC
4098-2457-6801
The whole 3DS virtual console sucking more d-

deku nuts then link with a vacuum. Seriously though, Sega Genesis games before any SNES games on there?

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Majora's Mask 3D has to happen, and it hasn't. I actually think it is happening, look at all the recent references - Majora's Mask DLC for Hyrule Warriors, Fierce Deity Link featured as a palette swap in Sm4sh, Skull Kid being an Assist Trophy in Sm4sh. It's just GOT to be in development right now. I need it, because I never got to finish Majora's Mask, and it was so much fun and such an epic story with time travel. Don't let me down on this, Nintendo.

As for 3DS not getting GBA titles, well if an iPad can run them without problems, I sure as hell don't see why a 3DS can't. That just sounds like they're trying to make more Wii U money.

EDIT: Oh, and Nintendo seems to have gotten just a bit greedier lately. The "New" Nintendo 3DS making everyone spend more money on a console just to play games on a console that's practically the same apart from hardware upgrades. They could have at least waited a few more years. And what seems to be more paid DLC inclusion recently - Mario Kart 8 DLC for characters, Hyrule Warriors character DLC, etc. The MK8 DLC should have been free.

Last edited:

Chompjil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chompjil
3DS FC
0387-8858-0021
We havent had an F-Zero,2D Metroid,Custom Robo game in how long, and Mario is just time after time, cmon Nintendo, you have so many IPs

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I would absolutely kill for another Custom Robo game; such a shame that we only got one of 'em over here.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
F-Zero has been abandoned with no news of a new game for 10 years. Starfox hasn't had a new console game in about 10 years, which is now being fixed, but it took far too long. I thought Pikmin would face Nintedo's neglect, but fortunately that was fixed. Mother 3 was never translated into English, so Earthbound fans have to pirate their game to play it. Speaking of Earthbound, the last game in that series was for the GBA. Too many IPs from the SNES-GameCube era are being neglected or butchered (Example: Sticker Star) and that it is starting to make me pretty mad.

Facading

Smash Apprentice
They advertised Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games to actually look like a good game. :glare:

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Not Nintendo, but Game Freak removing major features in new games piss the **** out of me. Give me character customization back :(

Now as far as Nintendo is concerned, it is sad how they ignore any franchise that doesn't sell millions and millions nowadays. Sure, that makes a lot of sense from a business perspective, but still. I would love new Metroid, Advance Wars, F-Zero and I think even Eternal Darkness should get a sequel (I never played the game, but Nintendo is lacking in the survival horror department, so...).

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
I'm pretty ticked that the time Sakurai & Co. could've spent fixing the Ice Climbers went into Dark Pit's creation. KI has too much representation in 4. Also, the heavy amount of Mario in the Game & Watch Galleries (instead of focusing mainly on the original Game & Watch characters, who were pushed into secondaries) kind of makes me want to ban Gallery from Game & Watch canon and consider it not a part of the Game & Watch series (instead, a Mario game with G&W cues). The last Game & Watch was also a Mario makeover of Ball, but, you know, Book Ends.

Drig786

Smash Journeyman
NNID
i-DRIG-i
They did not bring excitebots to EU although it was for poor sales in US but still :cry:

Meta-Kraid

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-0411-8525
Pokémon is slowly being ruined. Did they even try to balance Primal Kyogre Mega Kangaskan, Mega Gengar, Mega Salamence, Mega Slowbro and Mega Lucario? And why did they give Greninja Gunk Shot? One of my favorite Pokémon could be sent to Ubers because of a single move, and it had so many checks too. Blaziken is an example of a good Pokémon that was given a single tool that broke it. All the Megas are ruining the chance for more evolutions and game balance.

The main game is getting extremely short and easy. The Elite Four should be a challenge, not four people that don't even try to counter their weaknesses and use four Pokémon. They almost made a step in the right direction with Hard Mode in BW2, but it was unlockable. I got to Iris on my first try, and after I got my own Hydreigion to beat hers, which swept me since my team couldn't scratch it, I immediately beat her.

At least they seem like they 're trying to improve competetive in some ways like the friend safari super training and the new ORAS sneaking/searching thing and certain Pokémon like Gallade Steelix and Azumarill have been given cool tricks.

Bubbly Turtle

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bubbly Turtle
Idk if this has been mentioned since theirs a lot of replies. But the lack of communication. I would figure by now Nintendo would add voice chat features and a better Friend List system. Instead people have to use forums, skype, facebook (ect) to interact. Not saying these are bad methods since i love forums like these. But it really bugs me that I cannot talk to people in a game lobby like MarioKart, SSB, etc. I understand they try to keep things as PG as possible for children but cmon. The wiiU and 3ds are amazing. Give us better multiplayer features.

finalark

SNORLAX
Eternal Darkness should get a sequel (I never played the game, but Nintendo is lacking in the survival horror department, so...).
As someone who actually actually played (and finished) Eternal Darkness I really don't know if a sequel would fly all that well. ED1 had a lot of good ideas but it was very flawed in its execution. A majority of the sanity effects were way to over the top and goofy for their own good, trappers made the game a goddamn cakewalk (oh yeah, and you can summon them later on), the spell system was only a shadow of what it could have been and the environments were repetitious as all hell. Basically, everything that was wrong with the game got fixed by other horror games that ended up coming out a few years later. I'm really not sure Nintendo could possibly refine ED's flaws into something special since it's been done to death at this point.

Although we're getting Fatal Frame 5 for Wuu, so that's something. Shame RE Revelations 2 isn't going to be on Nintendo consoles. Which is kind of a slap to the balls IMO.

SilentBob

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SgtFirestarter
3DS FC
1435-4126-3817
Oh god where to start.

Third party support going down with each console? I can look past that due to Nintendo delivering quality games.
Nintendo lagging behind everyone in console power and features? While I wish we had better online, I buy a console to play games not general media and still Wii U is the only 1080p/60fps console.
Nintendo releasing special edition and overhauled handhelds not too long after I bought the previous version? It does piss me off but I got to get used to it.
Nintendo censoring and making sure everything is family friendly? As long as the game is fun I'm alright with it but seems like Nintendo is turning that around with Bayonetta 2 and Devil's Third.

I can look past all of that but there's one thing that almost killed them for me and by almost I mean never buy any home console from them again. That thing was the Wii. That console made me hate Nintendo so much that it was the first time in my history of gaming since the NES that I bought a non-Nintendo gaming console, the PS3. Worst part was that I was excited for it. I thought the Wii could be the change we needed in gaming but no. The controls were terrible. 99% of the games released for it were terrible. The Nintendo games released for it were based around that stupid controller gimmick. Even Brawl was a huge downgrade compared to the past games and added stupid mechanics to keep the game family friendly and take away the competitive aspect. Actually, I'm pretty sure it was right after the release of Brawl that I said screw this.

Once they announced the Wii U I was thinking "Here we go again. Nintendo is going to do the same stupid mistakes they did with the Wii". Thankfully, they've redeemed themselves. Looks like they're back to delivering quality games. They're even supportive of the competitive scene now. I'm giving them another chance. I bought my Wii U after E3 and this has to be the first time I didn't get a Nintendo console on launch.

even Eternal Darkness should get a sequel
Eternal Darkness was made by Silicon Knights, not Nintendo but they funded the hell out of it and the ex-employees say that the only reason it was good was because Nintendo made damn sure that they delivered a quality product. Now where am I leading this to? There is an Eternal Darkness sequel coming but you shouldn't support it. The guy who founded Silicon Knights, Denis Dyack is behind it and no one should be supporting him. The guy was abusing his employees, he used his company to embezzle funds and led his company to bankruptcy. Ever since Nintendo stopped working with them, they cannot make a single good game to save their life.

WhiteCane

Smash Apprentice
NNID
3DisBlind-Man
3DS FC
5172-2293-0234
Is it bad that a like Mario for the spinoffs and sports games?

Mario could be a flushed out world at this point they're games made out of games on top of games. Yet the main series has no story and gotten to the point of watching old reruns, Mario & Luigi series has a lot of charm and personality I heard same with Paper Mario. Why can't these be in the main series, also loved the various sports games as a kid what happened to those? Sometimes i wonder if the characters just sit around play cards or somethings, at least Luigi, Wario, DK, and Yoshi have things to do besides watch the love triangle in the life and Times of Peach.

I truly think Legend of Zelda or Pokemon should the face of Nintendo (you get the idea) those series earned their praise and more. (Not just the lore but that really does make a difference.) Pokemon though could be MMO or 3D just to break more ground.

Rant aside the Wii and its motion controls not only did it plague other systems but it sucks if you have problems like CP or depth perception like me, had the same issues about the old red and blue 3D glasses.

Top Bottom