• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What has Nintendo done to upset you?

finalark

SNORLAX
Mario Party upsets me and Nintendo did that.
I was actually pretty into Mario Party until Nintendo suddenly decided that every single board needed its own rules set and then decided to completely change the game play to be a weird, semi-cooperative experience.

I'd really like Mario Party 11 to be a throw back to Mario Party 1-5. Yeah, 4 was the point where they started using gimmicks but at least the Mega/Mini system actually added something. And I really didn't mind 5's capsules.

Pokemon though could be (. . .) 3D just to break more ground.
*cough* *cough* *cough*

WhiteCane

Smash Apprentice
NNID
3DisBlind-Man
3DS FC
5172-2293-0234
I was actually pretty into Mario Party until Nintendo suddenly decided that every single board needed its own rules set and then decided to completely change the game play to be a weird, semi-cooperative experience.

I'd really like Mario Party 11 to be a throw back to Mario Party 1-5. Yeah, 4 was the point where they started using gimmicks but at least the Mega/Mini system actually added something. And I really didn't mind 5's capsules.

*cough* *cough* *cough*
They stopped making the 3D games after the gamecube, X and Y are barely 3D.

kancon1

Smash Cadet
Why can't they port mother 3? Or put it on VC? That and the lack of in game chat on the 3DS and Wii U are the big things that bother me. But seriously, the fans who made the translation patch are letting you use it. They seem against it entirely, and rather have us pirate the game? (the stop motion at E3 was pretty funny though.)

Last edited:

SilentBob

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SgtFirestarter
3DS FC
1435-4126-3817
I wouldn't say Nintendo is against giving us Mother 3 because of that video because later on they do the same thing about the guy asking for Star Fox yet they said they were working on it and had a playable demo after their E3 presentation. If anything just them talking about it like that could mean they acknowledge it and is a subtle way to tell everyone they're working on a translation. Hell they might even be making an HD version of it for Wii U or 3DS and that's the reason why it's taking so long.

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
They. Cancelled. Nintendo. POWER.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326

Well I like the fact that Mario Party 10 to have the car thing that Mario Party Advance had. That was my first Mario Party and I loved it!

To what Nintendo did to upset me:

They didn't treat Golden Sun fairly. It was such an awesome upcoming franchise and Nintendo and Camelot together made it become significantly less popular. It was probably successful enough to get Isaac in Smash Brawl.

Then they released a game that was too little too late. Good game, but not one that could re-invigorate the series.

And now Isaac is completely missing in Smash. One new track but no AT and no regular trophy. I just hope that it foreshadows good DLC news. That would make me really happy.

finalark

SNORLAX
They didn't treat Golden Sun fairly. It was such an awesome upcoming franchise and Nintendo and Camelot together made it become significantly less popular. It was probably successful enough to get Isaac in Smash Brawl.

Then they released a game that was too little too late. Good game, but not one that could re-invigorate the series.

And now Isaac is completely missing in Smash. One new track but no AT and no regular trophy. I just hope that it foreshadows good DLC news. That would make me really happy.
GS had quite a bit of popularity back in the early 2000s among GBA owners. When it was initially announced GS1 was praised for being one of the strongest games on the GBA. As far as my knowledge goes general census still looks at both games pretty favorably. I think GS' timing didn't really have a negative impact on it at all. After all, GS1 came out in 2001 and GS2 in 2003, back when you could openly be a JRPG fan without having a number of obscene slurs thrown your way JRPGs were very popular.

IMO the real issue was that GS3 had the misfortune of being released well beyond the peak of the genre's international popularity. Mix that with Nintendo wanting to focus on other things and you get a franchise that is quietly pushed aside. It doesn't help that despite having solid game play mechanics, an interesting narrative and very enjoyable Zelda-style dungeons the series can't shake the "generic SNES RPG" look that likely turns off new players who probably take one look at it and dismiss it as "been there, done that."

Last edited:

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
D'you think that Nintendo could get some mileage out of GS if they let a third party work on it for a while? A studio that'd have more RPG experience, maybe?

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
GS had quite a bit of popularity back in the early 2000s among GBA owners. When it was initially announced GS1 was praised for being one of the strongest games on the GBA. As far as my knowledge goes general census still looks at both games pretty favorably. I think GS' timing didn't really have a negative impact on it at all. After all, GS1 came out in 2001 and GS2 in 2003, back when you could openly be a JRPG fan without having a number of obscene slurs thrown your way JRPGs were very popular.

IMO the real issue was that GS3 had the misfortune of being released well beyond the peak of the genre's international popularity. Mix that with Nintendo wanting to focus on other things and you get a franchise that is quietly pushed aside. It doesn't help that despite having solid game play mechanics, an interesting narrative and very enjoyable Zelda-style dungeons the series can't shake the "generic SNES RPG" look that likely turns off new players who probably take one look at it and dismiss it as "been there, done that."
I know GS 1 and 2 are remembered fondly but some of them are plain trolls. I saw a website where a person reviewed Golden Sun and was literally against almost everything the JRPG genre stood for. One line dialogues to the "inability" to jump over fences, climb over walls, etc.

They are some of the best games on GBA and my favourite games overall. They were not "generic" but a good fusion of everything a JRPG stood for while having its own quirky Djinn, puzzle maps mechanic.

GS3 was near the end of the DS' lifespan, was not advertised well, did not deliver according to expectations and came too late. It was a great game (not amazing like the first 2 but very good). Now Nintendo is focusing on its new franchises as well as some old ones. Xenoblade is taking off in the JRPG genre whereas the series that came first is not being focused on.

Golden Sun is, so far, stuck in some limbo. I don't want it to become 20 years old (it is already 13 years old) and then only be considered "retro" and worthy of revival.

D'you think that Nintendo could get some mileage out of GS if they let a third party work on it for a while? A studio that'd have more RPG experience, maybe?
I would be fine if Camelot, Nintendo and Monolith Soft made it together. Keep it in its turn based roots of course but they could do a really good job.

@ finalark finalark

They have plenty of RPG experience but in hindsight, they are a small team. It is also rumoured (not sure) that some of the staff that worked on GS have left Camelot hence the decrease in quality of their recent games. Their "Golden" age was during the GBA era.

With some studios to help out, they could make a pretty amazing experience. Plus give the series the wake up call it needs.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Coins as items in Mario Kart 8
The stupid car in Mario Party 9 and 10
The stupid everything (except Bowser Jr) in Mario Party Island Tour
The fact that Hyrule Warriors doesn't have Link Between Worlds characters (No, Zelda's Hilda costume is not enough; The name is still Zelda and she's way too smiley)
That stupid Meme Run game gong on the EShop.
How hard some of the Hyrule Warriors level three weapon stages are

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
The fact that Hyrule Warriors doesn't have Link Between Worlds characters (No, Zelda's Hilda costume is not enough; The name is still Zelda and she's way too smiley)
I'd like to expand this to really only having representation from the super popular or semi-recent console games. Give me Yuuga as a character, or a stage based off Subrosia or something. It seems like all we've gotten are - aside from the revamped Zelda, Link, etc and the original characters - is just OoT, TP, and Skyward Sword, with Majora's Mask coming in a DLC pack.

I mean the game is really neat from what I've played of it, but it's like everything that isn't a 3D console game was forgotten about.

Oh, one more annoyance: Link having a metric ton of weapons, whereas characters like Darunia and Ganondorf are stuck with one (to my knowledge).

isoldmyname

Smash Cadet
I wonder what the new Break the Targets stages will be like...
Oh. That happened...
But it's been there since the beginning!!
Also, the 3DS doesn't have space for Ice Climbers, but can hold Rosaluma and Duck Hunt, along with Lucina and Dark Pit just fine.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Failing to acknowledge the competitive melee scene until EVO 2014 when they used the occasion to promote smash 4.

TheDarkMysteryMan

Banned via Warnings
I wonder what the new Break the Targets stages will be like...
Oh. That happened...
But it's been there since the beginning!!
Also, the 3DS doesn't have space for Ice Climbers, but can hold Rosaluma and Duck Hunt, along with Lucina and Dark Pit just fine.
Fan service and self promotion. I mean why not try your best to keep a character with another character that have a unique combo game and replace them with not one, but TWO clones!! :O :O :O :O That just sickens me to the core, especially when they haven't brought back Snake which again has such uniqueness with space peach and a dog. NOOOO! We totally need emo pit and girl marth, the savior of fan service to come in and waste space.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
The removal of tournament mode from Smash 4. I know it wasn't a vital part of the experience, but for my friends and I tourney mode was the greatest thing ever since it basically let us play an advanced version of team battle.

D

Deleted member 269706

My only disappointment is no news regarding Flipnote Studio 3D...

Mask and Mirror

Smash Apprentice
Wish the WiiU memory was easier/cheaper to upgrade. 32GB isn't much these days, particularly with download games.

Though although I understand the reasons, it does seem stupid that it is usually almost 25% cheaper to buy games from shops than purchase the download.

Himynameisisaac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Himynameisisaac
-Their lack of support with Star Fox, Metroid, Mother series, etc,..
-The factthat they still haven't gotten online gameplay right after so many screwups. Okay maybe not screwups (Besides Brawl's Multiplayer) but the fact that they haven't gotten the Online chat right or just the matchmaking right. That and why in the hell isn't this whole Friendcode thing fixed?!
-Region locking
-lack of VC games.
-Dark pit in Smash 4.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
-Region locking
-Terrible third party support starting with the Wii
-Paper Mario: Sticker Star (ugh)
-New Super Mario Bros. series (again, ugh)
-The VC having a terrible game library
-Dropping the Legendary Starfy series after finally releasing the fifth game outside of Japan (due to poor sales)

Last edited:

Himynameisisaac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Himynameisisaac
-Region locking
-Terrible third party support starting with the Wii
-Paper Mario: Sticker Star (ugh)
-New Super Mario Bros. series (again, ugh)
-The VC having a terrible game library
-Dropping the Legendary Starfy series after finally releasing the fifth game outside of Japan (due to poor sales)
God, the NSMB series is terrible repetitive crap.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
God, the NSMB series is terrible repetitive crap.
Indeed. If there's another one made, I'm gonna be very angry about it. There's nothing creative about the games at all. Only thing I like about the NSMB series are the Koopalings, and they appeared in MK8 & SSB4, so I'm glad their existence isn't wasted.

Give me the Super Mario 3D games any day.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Indeed. If there's another one made, I'm gonna be very angry about it. There's nothing creative about the games at all. Only thing I like about the NSMB series are the Koopalings, and they appeared in MK8 & SSB4, so I'm glad their existence isn't wasted.

The first NSMB for the DS was a cool game, then Wii came along and it started to get old but it was still good, then by the time NSMB: Wii U came out, it had gotten overly-stale, moldy, and repetitive like every year's "brand new" COD game...

Last edited:

Lenrap

Smash Rookie
Ds games that required 2 or more copies to play. I get pokemon, but only 2 copy abilities for Triple Deluxe multiplayer?!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm mixed on NSMB series. The game has was nice platforming, but the game plays itself way too safe on ideas and its formula.

That, and the biggest problem is it has no soul in terms of artistic direction. From the graphics to the music, it's pretty boring.
It's the Mario B Team, but I'd like to see them go the extra mile a bit more.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I'd honest love to see the Mario Kart 8/3D World music team work on some music for NSMB, assuming they don't already. The only thing that stood out about NSMB's music was that little 'Ah~!' in the songs that would make enemies stop and dance for a split second, throwing off my jump.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm mixed on NSMB series. The game has was nice platforming, but the game plays itself way too safe on ideas and its formula.

That, and the biggest problem is it has no soul in terms of artistic direction. From the graphics to the music, it's pretty boring.
It's the Mario B Team, but I'd like to see them go the extra mile a bit more.
At this point I'm convinced that the NSMB series is the entire reason why Mario is starting to get this reputation as "that series that just keeps doing the same thing over and over again" in some circles. And to be fair, even with the handful of new mechanics added here and there as someone who grew up with the GBA version of both Mario World and Mario Bros 3 I can't but get a "been there, done that" sort of feeling whenever I play any of them.

And it doesn't help that somebody at Nintendo really, really, really likes the Koopalings. There's nothing wrong with bringing back fan favorites, but I've gotten pretty tired of them at this point. Seeing them show up in every game with often very little to add beyond nostalgia lost its charm really quickly for me. It just feels like Nintendo wants to remake Mario Bros 3 or Mario World but has just been dancing around the issue for the last few years. It doesn't help that we've been getting this games pretty frequently on top of that (NSMB 2006, Wii 2009, 2 and U 2012, Luigi U 2013). To be frank, I'm pretty sure its because these games sell well and compared to full on 3D adventures like Galaxy or Sunshine are easier to make.

D

Deleted member

• They abandoned some franchises like F-Zero and Star Fox (but the latter is at least getting some sort of sequel). They have so many IPs and they don't utilize them much... it makes me frightened about the future of Xenoblade Chronicles.
  • Paper Mario: Sticker Star is the game that I was the most disappointed with. My god, this game was just so bad...
  • They handle 3rd parties kinda poorly, resulting in some games being Xbox One and PS4 exclusives. Speaking of which, I hate how the Wii was underpowered to the point where I was missing out on some games.
  • They didn't put all of their Virtual Console titles from the Wii Shop Channel into the eShop. The fact that there are no N64 games really irks me.
  • Region locking. Microsoft and Sony got rid of it, why can't Nintendo?

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Nintendo never giving their games price cuts. Sony & Microsoft do this every year, but Nintendo stopped doing this years ago. Wouldn't it hurt to cheapen their games instead of leaving them pricey?

The first NSMB for the DS was a cool game, then Wii came along and it started to get old but it was still good, then by the time NSMB: Wii U came out, it had gotten overly-stale, moldy, and repetitive like every year's "brand new" COD game...
NSMB DS was the only good one, imo. And what about the stupid coin gimmick from NSMB 2? Why did Nintendo hype this up so much?

D

Deleted member

NSMB DS was the only good one, imo. And what about the stupid coin gimmick from NSMB 2? Why did Nintendo hype this up so much?
I'm pretty disappointed in the coin gimmick myself since they really didn't do much outside of, "Here you go! You can collect a crapton of Coins!!!"
I was thinking that there would be more depth to it or maybe the Coins served as something important in the plot (as little as there is), but there really isn't. Getting a million coins isn't even worth the effort in the end outside of bragging rights.

Himynameisisaac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Himynameisisaac

Yeah the koopalings are the best part of the series. On the other hand, i quite enjoyed Super Mario 3D World! It wasn't exactly anything "new" but it was a bit different. So it was, to a point, enjoyable. But i would even prefer a Sunshine or 64 remake over a new NSMB game. But the Mario series has been quite dull to me since SMG2.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
-Not releasing a new F-Zero for a while. I just want online F-Zero :crying:
-More frustrating than upsetting, but the overuse of the BAH BAAHs in the platformers. I can't stand that.
-Not putting Waluigi in Warioware.
-Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach in MK8, while we still have to wait for Dry Bowser.

Last edited:
Top Bottom