• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I despise dittos. I just dont find them fun or interesting. I'll usually SD and switch if we both pick the same character.

I've probably gotten more salty dittos with little mac than every other character I play combined. There is no denying the salt when they lose with a character who would otherwise be a tough matchup for mac (like cloud), and then switch to mac. The sad thing is, mac is really good at gimping other macs, so if they really abuse super armor or counter you at the right time, you can just straightup lose, even if you played better and clearly knew how to use mac. You know the kinds of macs I mean; panic sideB, dash attack jab, spam smash attacks, cant combo to save their life, never uses uptilt, etc.

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
While people are on the subject of dittos - I had some games the other day where someone swapped to a ditto after winning twice. It was the only game they lost out of 4 and they acted like a jerk in literally every game including that one, even though they lost.

They were good, but grief were they a sore winner. It's the kind of thing that really just puts me off playing with anyone "competitive" in general. It doesn't really bother me, but I really have to stop and just think "C'mon, really?" to myself when I see crap like constant teabagging and people who insist on trying to get you "salty". It's just kind of sad when people assume the match means as much to you as it does to them. That's the insulting part.

But yeah, dittos. Don't do salty dittos. You might be the best damn player ever and there's still a good chance someone 'worse' than you will win a ditto against you with their main - because it's their main, they can basically auto-pilot that character. I've won so many games because people insist on swapping to Jr. it's just... -bad.

I don't mind dittos. I really don't. I actually love them when the other player is proficient enough and knows what they're doing - you can learn a lot in dittos. But when the other person obviously doesn't play that character, it just becomes stupid. Why pick a character you don't play if you're trying to win?

JayE

Smash Journeyman
Hyrule and Altea, the universes of Zelda and FE
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
2982-0290-3968
I don't particularly enjoy dittoes, especially Marth dittos... the only ditto I enjoy is Captain Falcon dittos, lol
And I don't do any salty dittos or start using someone's elses main once they start winning

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I don't outright despise ditto matches. If someone happens to main the same character I do and they want to play the ditto for at least one match, I'll go with it. Though, playing the Mega Man ditto is one of the most awkward things in this entire game.

If the person thinks a ditto match is a way to prove that they're "better" than you with your character, I'm sorry but that's not a good way to indicate that. If someone knows more about the character than you do, they're likely better than you. Besides, I hate that mentality.

JayE

Smash Journeyman
Hyrule and Altea, the universes of Zelda and FE
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
2982-0290-3968
I don't outright despise ditto matches. If someone happens to main the same character I do and they want to play the ditto for at least one match, I'll go with it. Though, playing the Mega Man ditto is one of the most awkward things in this entire game.

If the person thinks a ditto match is a way to prove that they're "better" than you with your character, I'm sorry but that's not a good way to indicate that. If someone knows more about the character than you do, they're likely better than you. Besides, I hate that mentality.
Yeah, I agree, just because you win in a ditto match, doesn't necessarily you're better. Winning a match on Wifi doesn't necessarily mean you're better either, lol

KirbCider

Smash Ace
But yeah, dittos. Don't do salty dittos. You might be the best damn player ever and there's still a good chance someone 'worse' than you will win a ditto against you with their main - because it's their main, they can basically auto-pilot that character. I've won so many games because people insist on swapping to Jr. it's just... -bad.

I don't mind dittos. I really don't. I actually love them when the other player is proficient enough and knows what they're doing - you can learn a lot in dittos. But when the other person obviously doesn't play that character, it just becomes stupid. Why pick a character you don't play if you're trying to win?
No one should attempt a ditto, salty or not if they don't know what they're doing. Same goes for counter-picks.

This doesn't really bother me that bad in terms of annoyance, but it just kinda leads me into disappointment to face an opponent that's proven themselves to be good; however they throw that away the next few matches by trying to counter-pick or ditto me in some way.

I get quite a few people who do very well against my ROB where it can be an "Anyones game" kind of match and they'll either switch to ROB (or Samus) because "Oh you used ROB, so you're a spammer" or try Mario/Fox/Falco because "You can't do anything if I can reflect!". I wouldn't mind it if they're good with the characters, but it's obvious they aren't when I'm suddenly two stocking them when before they were giving me a hard time. At least when I counter-pick I typically use my mains if they happen to be a good choice.

Seriously, just stick with what you know and what works. Don't be stupid. A counter-pick means nothing if you can't use them.

Side note: This one is another one that doesn't annoy me, but just saddens me. It bums me out to find an opponent thats a breath of fresh air (Palutena, Game & Watch, Olimar, and other uncommons in For Glory) that leave after one match. It's a huge bummer.

You're different. I like different. Please stay.

Last edited:

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
I.....actually enjoy dittos. It can either backfire if you're trying to go ditto in order to disrespect, or it can be a great test of skill with your character.

SuperSwagger

Smash Rookie
That's... highly debatable. A fully optimized Sheik is always going to do better than a fully optimized Jigglypuff. Then again, seeing a bottom tier or low tier character make a pretty decent place at a big tournament is pretty hype to see, counterpick or not.
EDIT: You can be good with a character, but if a character is considered subpar and you're good with them, you're likely still going to lose a lot of MUs because the abilities of the other characters might be a lot better than yours. Just clarifying.
I literally just lost to a Jiggly when I was using Bayonetta lol

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm not a fan of dittos myself. Nothing to do with any sort of negative connotation, it's just that... losing against someone who's using my character really makes me feel bad :laugh:
That said, though, since neither of my mains are really common characters, I do enjoy seeing either of them online. It's a breath of fresh air to break up the stream of top tiers and roll-n-smash Links.

Sparkarez

Smash Rookie
Literally everyone who plays as Little Mac, Cloud and Bayonetta.

People who spam Shulk's backslash.

People who spam Dark Pit's electroshock.

People who spam Charizard's flare blitz.

People who use a lot of reflecting moves.

And people who beat me as my main :p

Last edited:

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
Today this Luigi/Mewtwo player named MARCOS! pretty much kept trashing me.

No matter how much I struggled, I had to keep screaming "yeah I don't know how to ****ing improve on my own like a dumb*** since I'm a weakling who needs some form of ****ing mentorship".

I'm just tossing my dumb weight around....I ****ing hate it..... "yeah I know I'm bad, lemme make sure I walk into your ****ing attacks so you can laugh even more"

I gave up by dc'ing. Then comes the other inner voice saying "oh but if you don't fight someone better then you'll never improve"
Yeah, but I'm too dumb to know how to do so on my own.

I seriously wish I was in Japan so I can actually have people help me train and ****, even though I have much better things to do in my spare time and the fact that I might cause myself to be stranded due to poor nose hygiene and lack of enough Japanese to survive (my basic grammar somewhat crap, despite me doing of a lot of Japanese voice impressions of a ton of anime/video game-based seiyuu; Smash Bros. characters included).

Call me salty, but I'm starting to hate playing online here in America, cause you have to expect everyone to punch you down for trying to pick up a sport of some sort. ZeRo's USA vs. Japan video made it clear on how the communities of fighting games between the two are damn different from each other.

Edit: Oh, guess what? After that, there's this flamevi...-whatever guy who mains Little Mac....now he's switching to CLOUD after he beat me twice.

I just ****ing hate how bad at this game. Improving seems like a huge amount of my life I need to waste in order to be this bitter hermit who only wants revenge for all the times he's been bodied, and never to play for the sake of fun after all those years.

Last edited:

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
Anyone named Derpy around here who mains a Rosaluma?

Congrats, you proved how horrible I was with my Fox and Falco. Yeah gg. You want me to commit suicide all because I can't even beat a Zelda, Jigglypuff/Purin or even a Palutena?

Does everyone have to be such a ***wipe I play against?

I've played as hard as I can, and no matter what I do, I can't do anything right. I've never been so damn mad in a while since this Derpy guy even bothers to switch to lower tiers arguably worse than my comfort pick.

...................I don't even know about this dumb game anymore and its online mode. **** For Glory. All I'm going to do is expect an ***hole each time I play on that mode.

Last edited:

jcx

Smash Journeyman

Congrats, you proved how horrible I was with my Fox and Falco. Yeah gg. You want me to commit suicide all because I can't even beat a Zelda, Jigglypuff/Purin or even a Palutena?

I've played as hard as I can, and no matter what I do, I can't do anything right. I've never been so damn mad in a while since this Derpy guy even bothers to switch to lower tiers arguably worse than my comfort pick.

...................I don't even know about this dumb game anymore and its online mode. **** For Glory. All I'm going to do is expect an ***hole each time I play on that mode.
You're only taking the bait, FFS. They want you to be salty. That's how the internet works.

If only Anther's Ladder was actually convienient enough for online play, so we can play REAL competitive Smash Bros...

KirbCider

Smash Ace

No matter how much I struggled, I had to keep screaming "yeah I don't know how to ****ing improve on my own like a dumb*** since I'm a weakling who needs some form of ****ing mentorship".

I'm just tossing my dumb weight around....I ****ing hate it..... "yeah I know I'm bad, lemme make sure I walk into your ****ing attacks so you can laugh even more"

I gave up by dc'ing. Then comes the other inner voice saying "oh but if you don't fight someone better then you'll never improve"

I seriously wish I was in Japan so I can actually have people help me train and ****, even though I have much better things to do in my spare time and the fact that I might cause myself to be stranded due to poor nose hygiene and lack of enough Japanese to survive (my basic grammar somewhat crap, despite me doing of a lot of Japanese voice impressions of a ton of anime/video game-based seiyuu; Smash Bros. characters included).

Call me salty, but I'm starting to hate playing online here in America, cause you have to expect everyone to punch you down for trying to pick up a sport of some sort. ZeRo's USA vs. Japan video made it clear on how the communities of fighting games between the two are damn different from each other.

Edit: Oh, guess what? After that, there's this flamevi...-whatever guy who mains Little Mac....now he's switching to CLOUD after he beat me twice.

I just ****ing hate how bad at this game. Improving seems like a huge amount of my life I need to waste in order to be this bitter hermit who only wants revenge for all the times he's been bodied, and never to play for the sake of fun after all those years.

This post is gonna be TL;DR (Well, longer than my usual ones), but please bear with me. It might be worth reading.

Firstly, I remember offering to help you before when replying to one of your posts in this Thread. I may not be a competitive player and I consider myself to be pretty average; however I'm more than willing to help you, or anyone else get better. At the very least I could be somewhat challenging and tell you what you do wrong. Seriously, do not be afraid to ask for some help if you want to get better.

There's plenty of people (including me) on SmashBoards that would be more than willing to help out.

Secondly, I'm really starting to think your frustration is starting to get the best of you. I know, it's not fun to lose constantly and I understand For Glory can be a frustrating mode sometimes. Heck, a lot of us can agree and understand just how frustrating it can truly be or else we wouldn't be in this Thread in the first place. You should note though that you really shouldn't measure your skill in For Glory at all. It's good for quick matches and it can be some good practice depending on what exactly you're practicing in some cases.

That doesn't mean you should put all your weight in it though. I will admit that I believe For Glory has helped me get better; however it's not really enough. You can only get so much out of the mode after all. Aside from that it takes more than just playing the game to get better. You need to have a basic understanding of it and be aware of techs, combos, DI, and more if you want to improve.

You have a lot of tools at your disposal. Most notably SmashBoards. Do not be afraid to take advantage of it.

I'm serious. For Glory may be a cesspool but that doesn't mean every single Smash player is out to get you. I said it before and I'll say it again, a lot of us here on SmashBoards will be more than willing to help you out of you just seek our help. Don't just complain. Actively do something about it. There's character boards here for each character. We also have Threads here where you can find opponents for both the Wii U and 3DS. A lot of folks here are much better and friendlier than any For Glorian you'll ever come across. That's no joke.

They'll give you tips and help if you ask.

Heck, @KeeganKTK approached me a long while back asking to Smash, and we've been Smashing each others butts (phrasing *COUGHCOUGH*) ever since. He's helped me improve plenty and even now he's still helping me improve. I've even seen improvements in his playing the more we Smashed. He's offered me dozens upon dozens of advice, and I try to help him when I can too.

It can really help to seek Training partners, and possibly friendships here as well.

Long story short, I really hate seeing you continually beat yourself up because you feel like you can't get better and continually get beaten (and often insulted) in For Glory. We've all started as terrible players, and we're all here for each other on SmashBoards.

Let us help you stand up when you're beaten down. You will improve as long as you put some effort into it.

Trust me.

Last edited:

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
Lol after looking back at all of this, I did a say frequently that I'm just a salty dude lol

It's like dealing with MOBAs all over again.

Last edited:

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
The main thing that annoys me is people who don't even bother putting up a fight and self-destructing. I don't mind getting a win but geeze if there's no lag then why are you not even bothering to face me? Especially in tourney mode where I can see you creamed the person you faced before facing me!

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
This post is gonna be TL;DR (Well, longer than my usual ones), but please bear with me. It might be worth reading.

Firstly, I remember offering to help you before when replying to one of your posts in this Thread. I may not be a competitive player and I consider myself to be pretty average; however I'm more than willing to help you, or anyone else get better. At the very least I could be somewhat challenging and tell you what you do wrong. Seriously, do not be afraid to ask for some help if you want to get better.

There's plenty of people (including me) on SmashBoards that would be more than willing to help out.

Secondly, I'm really starting to think your frustration is starting to get the best of you. I know, it's not fun to lose constantly and I understand For Glory can be a frustrating mode sometimes. Heck, a lot of us can agree and understand just how frustrating it can truly be or else we wouldn't be in this Thread in the first place. You should note though that you really shouldn't measure your skill in For Glory at all. It's good for quick matches and it can be some good practice depending on what exactly you're practicing in some cases.

That doesn't mean you should put all your weight in it though. I will admit that I believe For Glory has helped me get better; however it's not really enough. You can only get so much out of the mode after all. Aside from that it takes more than just playing the game to get better. You need to have a basic understanding of it and be aware of techs, combos, DI, and more if you want to improve.

You have a lot of tools at your disposal. Most notably SmashBoards. Do not be afraid to take advantage of it.

I'm serious. For Glory may be a cesspool but that doesn't mean every single Smash player is out to get you. I said it before and I'll say it again, a lot of us here on SmashBoards will be more than willing to help you out of you just seek our help. Don't just complain. Actively do something about it. There's character boards here for each character. We also have Threads here where you can find opponents for both the Wii U and 3DS. A lot of folks here are much better and friendlier than any For Glorian you'll ever come across. That's no joke.

They'll give you tips and help if you ask.

Heck, @KeeganKTK approached me a long while back asking to Smash, and we've been Smashing each others butts (phrasing *COUGHCOUGH*) ever since. He's helped me improve plenty and even now he's still helping me improve. I've even seen improvements in his playing the more we Smashed. He's offered me dozens upon dozens of advice, and I try to help him when I can too.

It can really help to seek Training partners, and possibly friendships here as well.

Long story short, I really hate seeing you continually beat yourself up because you feel like you can't get better and continually get beaten (and often insulted) in For Glory. We've all started as terrible players, and we're all here for each other on SmashBoards.

Let us help you stand up when you're beaten down. You will improve as long as you put some effort into it.

Trust me.
Yeah.....I actually pretty much understand.

I mean, it's a bit common for my "first times on forums" to be a bit like this.

While I was at work, I had to think for a while about how to reflect on everything, so I posted a new thread here. https://smashboards.com/threads/for-glory-the-insightful-side-of-things.441707/#post-21452028

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I dont know when this started, but at some point after dropping Dedede, I grew to absolutely despise him. He's garbage, but just so annoying to fight. I blame folks like girthquake for pushing the character, because now, EVERYONE thinks they're girthquake and go for all the swaggy nonsense.

I just plain hate dedede now.

(Why do I still have this avatar...)

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
I dont know when this started, but at some point after dropping Dedede, I grew to absolutely despise him. He's garbage, but just so annoying to fight. I blame folks like girthquake for pushing the character, because now, EVERYONE thinks they're girthquake and go for all the swaggy nonsense.

I just plain hate dedede now.

(Why do I still have this avatar...)
I guess a part of you still misses what he used to be about. I mean, I can understand why you hate Dedede, and I assume Sakurai had to nerf him due to his power in Free-For-Alls compared to 1 on 1.

I guess people are like with many others I've talked about on my recent thread, somehow ruining Dedede's reputation faster than his anime portrayal ruins himself (god bless you, Ken'ichi Ogata).

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
Good news. This post isn't going to be full of salt lol.

There was a player named Squishe (with a high accent e) I found who actually was pretty damn good at Pit and Dark/Black Pit (and the latter was someone I've used for a long while before getting into competitive play and getting the DLC). It was during those times I was trying to refine my Fox and his neutral game.

I eventually switched to Falco just as when he picked Falco as a mirror; I somehow managed to win against him that match and we went even when he and I went Falco vs. Fox (with him using the signature Larry Lurr red color). His Fox somehow SD'd over the stage with a mis-aimed Fire Fox (don't you hate it when you can't trust the direction you tilt your control stick in for recovery moves like this AND when you don't intend to use angled/shifted-side-attacks? Feels).

He eventually switched to Ganondorf like many people do, but I managed to keep my wits about me and somehow managed to get some very good reads off of his Ganon. His Lucina next match (which was damn close too) managed to screw me over though before he left.

The moral of this post was pretty much this; that guy was pretty damn good and it felt great playing against him....so why can't I find a way to add him?

I guess one thing that also annoys me about 3DS For Glory is this; you can't have a "recently-played-people-to-add-as-friends" feature like League of Legends does. I'm guessing that's one other reason why the Wii U version is often picked over the 3DS version, even if they have to deal with the nametag-switching verbal abuse.

I like to give shout-outs to that guy due to me fighting him with a fresh mindset, and I really wish most of us (e.g. like me) don't have to get poisoned over For Glory to meet people like this akin to a MOBA. Granted something about it just has to prevent people from really feeling each other, and that's something I've noticed that might need to be addressed.

As stated on my long thread about For Glory insights, I get it in that sharing personal info via being open and using your taunt bubbles is a bit dangerous on With Anyone, since you're technically talking to a stranger. But I'm not sure if this design of For Glory is considered to be in Masahiro Sakurai's best regards; the stage layout I will admit, is a different story that needs fixing.

Last edited:

Alexis357

Smash Cadet
NNID
Alexis357
3DS FC
4210-4531-2184
Just got some matches with a few people this afternoon, and ... Wow, it looks like I was playing against the same opponent using that "tactic" called the Roll to Down Smash Combo.

Something I was wondering about this since a long time, but ... What do you think about people doing this over and over again during a game ?

It's not that I complain about it as I'm never touched by the attack, mainly because I prefer to hold my shield or just try to keep in the air, but I could hear on YouTube that this habit tires people.

I guess people use this "tactic" when they want to hit their opponent whatever if he is immobile or has taken the care to roll in the back of the opponent that has already rolled. In my opinion, it just looks braindead, it means you don't even try to know what your opponent will do, but every playstyles exists in this game so ... Keep doing some breakdance or turning up until you vomit at 2 meters of me ...

Last edited:

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
Time for another salt post.

MURICA! should die in a fire for spamming Little Mac and Kirby.

I know I suck...but god damn.

Everyone's an ***hole on For Glory again lol

I need to learn to move on much easier; and I'm sure that one Little Mac player who spammed attacks on-time and trolled with Kirby to drag me off stage with Inhale will feel happy about himself ****ing on a worse player named Juuyoh by the time he reads this

Meanwhile I'm just moving on. : P Gotta take lessons from my League of Legends days....

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
Just got some matches with a few people this afternoon, and ... Wow, it looks like I was playing against the same opponent using that "tactic" called the Roll to Down Smash Combo.

Something I was wondering about this since a long time, but ... What do you think about people doing this over and over again during a game ?

It's not that I complain about it as I'm never touched by the attack, mainly because I prefer to hold my shield or just try to keep in the air, but I could hear on YouTube that this habit tires people.

I guess people use this "tactic" when they want to hit their opponent whatever if he is immobile or has taken the care to roll in the back of the opponent that have already rolled. In my opinion, it just looks braindead, it means you don't even try to know what your opponent will do, but every playstyles exists in this game so ... Keep doing some breakdance or turning up until you vomit at 2 meters of me ...
What I think? ....It makes me feel kind of jealous. Perhaps I should be thankful that Ike's Dsmash is so bad - quickly got me out of the habit of using the move at all in most circumstances.

KirbCider

Smash Ace

I look at it the same way as I look at a Little Mac who tries to roll and then do a Smash attack, or a Samus who rolls just to missle, go for a grab, or attempts their Charge Shot: It's just mindless roll spamming because they don't know how to do anything else really.

The #1 worst habit anyone has in For Glory is relying way too much on dodging because they consider it their safest option, and most characters naturally have better dodges that makes it easier to spam. I can however, understand that a dodge to Smash attack can be effective as a good punish depending on the scenario. But when you dodge and constantly attempt to do it, it's just sad...

I'm honestly REALLY glad I've stopped rolling as much as I used to. Now I hardly roll at all unless it's absolutely necessary. And you know what? It's definitely improved my game-play and allows me to make far better punishes and decisions because I'm not rolling away.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I look at it the same way as I look at a Little Mac who tries to roll and then do a Smash attack, or a Samus who rolls just to missle, go for a grab, or attempts their Charge Shot: It's just mindless roll spamming because they don't know how to do anything else really.

The #1 worst habit anyone has in For Glory is relying way too much on dodging because they consider it their safest option, and most characters naturally have better dodges that makes it easier to spam. I can however, understand that a dodge to Smash attack can be effective as a good punish depending on the scenario. But when you dodge and constantly attempt to do it, it's just sad...

I'm honestly REALLY glad I've stopped rolling as much as I used to. Now I hardly roll at all unless it's absolutely necessary. And you know what? It's definitely improved my game-play and allows me to make far better punishes and decisions because I'm not rolling away.
I'm still trying to beat the rolling habit I have. It's almost a natural reaction I do whenever I'm online. When lag comes, my instinctive reaction is to roll. I need to stop playing online so much, but I don't have anyone to practice with offline. It sucks.

Crystanium

Smash Hero

Words are powerful because they will shape how you perceive yourself, whether they're words coming from your mouth or from someone else's. Recently, I made a thread called, So you think you're good? Please check it out. When I played Super Smash Bros. Brawl, I felt that I would have a greater likelihood of attending tournaments. I only entered Smash World Forums recently at the time. Whenever I lost, I would become discouraged to the point that I didn't want to play anymore. I was afraid of losing. Why? I couldn't figure that out.

I've been playing Super Smash Bros. Wii U for four months. My brother has way more experience than I do because he was able to play it on his 3DS for at least a little more than a year. His skill transferred pretty well to the Wii U when I pestered him enough to get Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U. He would beat me, two-stock me, and I expected it at least. However, I was able to catch up to his level by playing against him and others on For Glory. I tried to have a change in attitude, understanding that losing isn't the end, it's just an opportunity to learn.

I use Samus. I've always mained her ever since the first game was released. Although I had two different times of thinking about dropping her, I kept going with her. I'm sure that if I chose a better character, I'd perform better. Mario is a fun character in my opinion, and I do seem to perform pretty well with him in spite of having way more experience with Samus. What I think you need to do is let go of all of this frustration and start watching what your opponent is doing. If you need to, save your losses, replay them and observe what you did correct and what you didn't do correct. Where you got punished, see why you did and remind yourself to not do that next time. Continue using what you did properly as they are probably more effective at keeping you safe from getting hit.

I feel that if you don't have fun playing, then you won't improve as much as you'd like. Attitude plays a huge role. I have had moments where I wasn't feeling it because something was on my mind. I didn't perform as well. Having fun changes your attitude. You're happier and generally more aware. Try to stay positive and don't think of a loss as the end of the world. It isn't. You can still play. Take that time to learn. Play to learn. If you win, you win. You can save those videos as well to see what you did in order to win. Remember, remove your poor strategies that got you punished and keep the strategies that worked. You can improve. You must believe you can improve. Tell yourself if you have to that you're going to be the best of such and such character. I've told my brother, "Uffe, I'm going to become the best Samus, if not one of the best Samus'."

I would also recommend you find someone to talk to about your frustrations, someone who will listen to you and not judge. Perhaps someone who can give you advice. There are a lot of people here who can give you advice about improving. Perhaps you have other problems in your life that you want to get dealt with. Try doing so in a healthy manner. If you get easily angry, try taking anger management. That has helped me out because it can be applied in a lot of situations. And finally, you needn't spend every second of the day playing Sm4sh. At most when I was able to play (I can't anymore because my brother moved and took his Wii U), I played anywhere between 2 to 3 hours and called it quits after. Not because I was frustrated, but because when you move away from something you work on and do something else, you're allowing yourself a break. Try to be positive. Professional players only show you the end of their story. You haven't seen what they had to do to get there.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
Words are powerful because they will shape how you perceive yourself, whether they're words coming from your mouth or from someone else's. Recently, I made a thread called, So you think you're good? Please check it out. When I played Super Smash Bros. Brawl, I felt that I would have a greater likelihood of attending tournaments. I only entered Smash World Forums recently at the time. Whenever I lost, I would become discouraged to the point that I didn't want to play anymore. I was afraid of losing. Why? I couldn't figure that out.

I've been playing Super Smash Bros. Wii U for four months. My brother has way more experience than I do because he was able to play it on his 3DS for at least a little more than a year. His skill transferred pretty well to the Wii U when I pestered him enough to get Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U. He would beat me, two-stock me, and I expected it at least. However, I was able to catch up to his level by playing against him and others on For Glory. I tried to have a change in attitude, understanding that losing isn't the end, it's just an opportunity to learn.

I use Samus. I've always mained her ever since the first game was released. Although I had two different times of thinking about dropping her, I kept going with her. I'm sure that if I chose a better character, I'd perform better. Mario is a fun character in my opinion, and I do seem to perform pretty well with him in spite of having way more experience with Samus. What I think you need to do is let go of all of this frustration and start watching what your opponent is doing. If you need to, save your losses, replay them and observe what you did correct and what you didn't do correct. Where you got punished, see why you did and remind yourself to not do that next time. Continue using what you did properly as they are probably more effective at keeping you safe from getting hit.

I feel that if you don't have fun playing, then you won't improve as much as you'd like. Attitude plays a huge role. I have had moments where I wasn't feeling it because something was on my mind. I didn't perform as well. Having fun changes your attitude. You're happier and generally more aware. Try to stay positive and don't think of a loss as the end of the world. It isn't. You can still play. Take that time to learn. Play to learn. If you win, you win. You can save those videos as well to see what you did in order to win. Remember, remove your poor strategies that got you punished and keep the strategies that worked. You can improve. You must believe you can improve. Tell yourself if you have to that you're going to be the best of such and such character. I've told my brother, "Uffe, I'm going to become the best Samus, if not one of the best Samus'."

I would also recommend you find someone to talk to about your frustrations, someone who will listen to you and not judge. Perhaps someone who can give you advice. There are a lot of people here who can give you advice about improving. Perhaps you have other problems in your life that you want to get dealt with. Try doing so in a healthy manner. If you get easily angry, try taking anger management. That has helped me out because it can be applied in a lot of situations. And finally, you needn't spend every second of the day playing Sm4sh. At most when I was able to play (I can't anymore because my brother moved and took his Wii U), I played anywhere between 2 to 3 hours and called it quits after. Not because I was frustrated, but because when you move away from something you work on and do something else, you're allowing yourself a break. Try to be positive. Professional players only show you the end of their story. You haven't seen what they had to do to get there.
That goes to show that I notice how I'm just like everyone else. A salty idiot lol.

Granted, I should've learned from all of this due to my experience with saltiness on League of Legends; but I'm merely a forgetful dumb*** : P

My primary issue is always doing the wrong move at the wrong time, and being very easily read no matter what I do. And of course, not enough practice with situation like tech'ing a stage spike.

That, and expecting everyone to laugh when they **** on me with a solid read that my foresight can even do anything about.

Also, there are times where opponents switch characters just for the hell of it to throw me off, making me more worth of a sack of **** worth insulting.

I should've realized For Glory is the exact same as Solo Queue.

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Don't you guys hate it when you don't save a replay of a match that was really hilarious? Well, that's what happened to me today. Basically, I was fighting a Cloud player, because all the Falcons died out when he came around (at least for today). He was actually pretty good and he used Limit Cross Slash on me when I was off stage. I tried to tech to save myself, but missed it, and he footstooled off me and taunted. It was actually pretty awesome and hilarious so I taunted back. Fast forward a little bit and I manage to turn the tide of the match back into an even game. He knocked me off stage and F-Aired me, so I thought I was dead. However, he fast fell and died before I hit the edge of the blast zone. I was laughing my ass off, but I forgot to save and the guy promptly left. I'm sure he was mighty pissed about that loss since he had that match in the bag. Way to throw the game, lol.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
Don't you guys hate it when you don't save a replay of a match that was really hilarious? Well, that's what happened to me today. Basically, I was fighting a Cloud player, because all the Falcons died out when he came around (at least for today). He was actually pretty good and he used Limit Cross Slash on me when I was off stage. I tried to tech to save myself, but missed it, and he footstooled off me and taunted. It was actually pretty awesome and hilarious so I taunted back. Fast forward a little bit and I manage to turn the tide of the match back into an even game. He knocked me off stage and F-Aired me, so I thought I was dead. However, he fast fell and died before I hit the edge of the blast zone. I was laughing my *** off, but I forgot to save and the guy promptly left. I'm sure he was mighty pissed about that loss since he had that match in the bag. Way to throw the game, lol.
I sorta have to applaud you. Most players like me it seems can't find a good way to handle these types of advantages these "dreaded-For Glory characters" have.

*Remembers the utter out-of-shield power of Ness' neutral aerial*

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I sorta have to applaud you. Most players like me it seems can't find a good way to handle these types of advantages these "dreaded-For Glory characters" have.

*Remembers the utter out-of-shield power of Ness' neutral aerial*
Mega Man actually can counter some of Cloud's options. He can defend himself pretty well against him, and can keep Cloud out. Of course, Cloud juggles Megs pretty hard, but Megs's neutral is pretty great against Cloud, though his neutral's really good as well. It helps that I'm well versed in the MM v Cloud MU, so I know what I'm doing in it.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
Mega Man actually can counter some of Cloud's options. He can defend himself pretty well against him, and can keep Cloud out. Of course, Cloud juggles Megs pretty hard, but Megs's neutral is pretty great against Cloud, though his neutral's really good as well. It helps that I'm well versed in the MM v Cloud MU, so I know what I'm doing in it.
Welp, I guess that's also a big weakness of mine. Matchup issues.

I seriously need to find someone to train with one day....

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Welp, I guess that's also a big weakness of mine. Matchup issues.

I seriously need to find someone to train with one day....
I recommend doing to the Falco Discord if you have questions about how to handle certain MUs. I'm sure they are some Falco mains that can help you on them. You get used to certain characters. I've grown numb to characters like Cloud because I've seen him so many times, I generally know what to do against him.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I'm still trying to beat the rolling habit I have. It's almost a natural reaction I do whenever I'm online. When lag comes, my instinctive reaction is to roll. I need to stop playing online so much, but I don't have anyone to practice with offline. It sucks.
It's certainly a bad habit to have.

And there are Threads here on SmashBoards for both the Wii U and 3DS where you can find other opponents to play against. I mean, yeah it's not Offline; however you can find better opponents here than on For Glory. I've played against quite a few members here and have never really experienced any sort of lag except for maybe once. Again, it's not Offline but it's still a decent option either way.

I also noticed you're in Texas as well. That's kinda neat.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Can I just mention, a lot of people mention a bad rolling habit... I don't roll enough - even in FG. lol I have more of a spot-dodge habit, which is strictly worse than a roll habit 9/10.

Also, on topic to "things that annoy me in FG". You can't use Miis. Not even from a select set. It's actually more annoying than it sounds because I really like playing Swordfighter and Gunner now and then, and I'd love to play them online without having to resort to adding people every time I wanna play Miis online. Why, game? Why do you hate Mii?

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Can I just mention, a lot of people mention a bad rolling habit... I don't roll enough - even in FG. lol I have more of a spot-dodge habit, which is strictly worse than a roll habit 9/10.

Also, on topic to "things that annoy me in FG". You can't use Miis. Not even from a select set. It's actually more annoying than it sounds because I really like playing Swordfighter and Gunner now and then, and I'd love to play them online without having to resort to adding people every time I wanna play Miis online. Why, game? Why do you hate Mii?
Maybe because people don't want to see trolls using Miis like Hitler, Trump, or whatever comes to mind. That's my best guess as to why you can't use them on For Glory. The place is bad enough. We don't need Clinton messing up the place even more.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Maybe because people don't want to see trolls using Miis like Hitler, Trump, or whatever comes to mind. That's my best guess as to why you can't use them on For Glory. The place is bad enough. We don't need Clinton messing up the place even more.
Yeah, but they could always set it to "guest miis only, 1-1-1-1" if they really cared. I'm not even really talking about custom Miis. Hell, worst case scenario, just make other people see your Mii as a default so even if you do decide you want to play as Hitler or whatever online it doesn't matter.

I don't think there was any particular excuse to not just restrict them in less... -well, restrictive ways.

ItsASquid

Smash Apprentice
Sporadic rollers. It's impossible to tell where they'll go next, or to punish them online. Then they taunt you for it. Ugh...

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
>beats you with cloud because you cant punish **** because its cloud
>switches to your character in round 2

Oh no, please, by all means cloud main #1,968,262,187, continue proving why cloud mains attract horrible human beings. I love having my proven time and time again.

Top Bottom