• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
The Smash community is so blatantly toxic towards some characters it's painful, but never, never, have I seen more passive aggressive bull than when playing Olimar in 1v1s.

Holy Pikmin, shout outs to all Pik-mains for putting up with the level of asshattery that I got last night playing Oli all the time.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
What does toxic mean again?
Just bad natured from what I know, vitriolic, etc. Just generally harmful to - well, whatever it is they're being toxic about.

Basically, it just means they act like crap. Which, considering I felt the need to mention people in FG being especially toxic, you can imagine my experience with Olimar was something else.

fushigekaze

Smash Rookie
People thinking that they're the best thing ever after they win a match and trash talking. After finally beating me for the first time after 11 games, some kid tells me to, "git gud", to "go practice" and that I stink. I'm not saying he was a bad player, which was why I stayed, but if he wasn't good enough to beat me for the first 10 matches, he should clearly know his place at that point. Egos are okay with me, but they have to be earned, and this kid didn't earn it.

Mothraniclus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1178-0677-3736
Ah, I remember one time when I was playing against this sheik with my samus the other day. Basically the other guy spammed the hell out of his bouncing fish, always went for dash attacks, and if he actually hit me, he'd roll to the other side of the stage. At first I kept my distance because I though he would charge his needles and start rushing me down, but in the end it was me who rushed the guy down. With SAMUS. He left right after the first match calling me a spammer and a tier *****.
I started laughing for the next ten minutes.

Playerhater

Smash Cadet
Cloud is the new Link combined with Samus and Little Mac. Really ****ty. Another one of those characters you have to chase all day because they never approach.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Cloud is the new Link combined with Samus and Little Mac. Really ****ty. Another one of those characters you have to chase all day because they never approach.
Not really true... The only characters he beats at range are ones with poor projectile games. He's nowhere near as bad as Link for projectiles, and comparing him to Samus is a horrible comparison, since Samus has poor "get away" options, so getting in her grill puts her in a poor spot, Cloud doesn't have that problem - he actually has more issue keeping you away with projectiles.

Also, saying "Little Mac" and then "Another character you have to chase all day." is literally a juxtaposition. lol Little Mac has to stand his ground and beat or bait attacks and punish, or he's just unsafe, or doing nothing. Anyone who tells you otherwise about Mac is playing Mac wrong.

Playerhater

Smash Cadet
Wow, you totally missed the point. The point is that every game against those characters becomes a boring grind. One dimensional n00b friendly characters. Every fight against Samus/Link/Cloud is the same. All they do is roll roll run run - charge/projectile spam -, roll roll run run repeat repeat repeat. Always playing like a *****. Little Mac is another character that slows down the whole game.

Mothraniclus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1178-0677-3736
Wait... So you're saying my lifelong main is a spammer? Because it seems you're referring to the character instead of the players. Please don't refer to my Sammy like that, It hurts my feelings ;~;

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
I hate how people think their Sm4sh skills have any bearing on how they should act. Maybe if they bothered to "git gud" where it counts (the heart) they would realize what amateurs they really are, and learn what they should have learned pre-grade school: the true meaning of a good time.

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
That subtitle though!

Any way i hate projectile spammers that think they are the ****.(pardon my french) especially link players Who will nover stop until you approach. I used to main link in this game but after the first month i switched to ness and fox, simply because of the toxic for glory links.

I also hate people who teabag and taunt every 5 seconds to show how good(childish) they are. Thats basically it for the more typical stuff.

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
Wait... So you're saying my lifelong main is a spammer? Because it seems you're referring to the character instead of the players. Please don't refer to my Sammy like that, It hurts my feelings ;~;
Well most for glory samus players are spamming fools with no skill. But im sure a lifelong samus main isnt cheap. :3:samus:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
As I've met a very good Samus in for Glory, I can say that the problem are the people who want to camp badly, not :4samus: or :4link: themselves.

Anyone with a projectile will spam anyway, it could be :4villager:, :4mewtwo: or even :4zelda:, spam will probably occur. And that's sad.

Even characters such as :4dk: or :4marth: will camp sometimes. I mean... WHY?

Mothraniclus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1178-0677-3736
The only bad thing is that since all her properties change every game, I need to get used to her combos and kill moves, so It's almost like I'm using a completely new character and It makes me seem like a noob xD

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Passing by to say that the people that camp and even stay in one place until you attack them without DOING ANYTHING grind my gears.

Moments like that just make me spam whatever projectile I happen to have with my character until the other person decides to do something, like, wow...

:mad088:

sam☆jam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MiracleJeanacle
3DS FC
1032-1249-3789
i just wish people would chill. Tonight I was playing a pretty good Link and barely won. I said 'gg' and he said 'no ~_~'. Next match I play a Samus called YBDisk and lose to a silly spike. I said 'gg' but he says 'DERP -_-' and leaves. What did I even do to deserve that? I never taunted or said anything.

I used to meet cool fun people online, but now FG's attitude is just bitter :'( It's amazing people actually take it seriously with the lag and whatnot

Playerhater

Smash Cadet
It's seems like you're the one taking it seriously. You deserve it because you're an over emotional crybaby. The other thought he didn't play a 'Good Game' when he lost. That's a valid response. The other game you lost to a silly spike. Doesn't sound like a good game to me. So you say GG when it wasn't, which means you're lying and expect others to act the same. It's disgusting.

I rather play against trolls, they are way more fun than the mindless friendly GG people.

I always taunt, like you;re supposed to do. You think the development team spent dozens of hours on coding those taunts for nothing? That's disgraceful.

Here are some more taunt tips:
- Don't taunt after KO'ing your opponent. WAIT until you land the next big combo and then start using your 3 taunts(+ teabags). Most of the time the other tilts and will go for the heavy attacks. Just dodge it and secure an easy two stock game

- Next: pick Wario for the next game and stay riding the bike while enjoying your unlimited taunts. Try to KO the other with the big fart for uber bragging rights. Wario is quite decent character and most players don't know how to deal with him.

After that: leave. There is nothing more to gain here, don't give the other an opportunity to avenge this humiliation.

That's how you play Smash Bros.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
So you say GG when it wasn't, which means you're lying and expect others to act the same. It's disgusting.
Erm, "Good Game" is something you say to be polite for the experience you just had. It's a lot like saying "Thank you" for getting a present you didn't want. It's just mannerism, it's not being "fake"

Playerhater

Smash Cadet
User was warned for this post
Erm, "Good Game" is something you say to be polite for the experience you just had. It's a lot like saying "Thank you" for getting a present you didn't want. It's just mannerism, it's not being "fake"
Well so is taking of your hat and bowing, but you don't see anyone doing that. You know why? Because it's ********.

GG is redundant bull**** and meaningless if you say it after every ****ing game. So basically it becomes a recipe for crybabies who only seem to care if the other does not reply with GG.

'He did not say GG, so he must be salty!'

Euh no, you dumbass, he just doesn't want your ****ty copy paste manners shoved down his throat. There is no need to further elaborate on games that are already over. GG is for insecure twelve year olds without friends who want to be part of some vague online community of other nerdy kids. If you say stuff without meaning and expect others to do the same, you should punch yourself in the face.

GG does not exist in fighting games. If you lose, you should feel gutted and be silent. If you win, you either taunt, or have mercy by not making fun of the other by suggesting it was a good game when you just slaughtered him.So in both cases: stfu.

Good manners in fighting games are:

- don't fight like a ***** (running away, shielding too much, not attacking, but only reacting to the other player)
- gtfo with spammy (projectile heavy) characters
- don't use cheap and annoying tactics (grabbing, the whole time, ledge grabbing with every recovery)

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
GG is for the losing player to declare, when he loses a close decisive match, no matter what game.

This thing we call sportsmanship, is like honor but for games, it is definitely a real and valuable thing, not make-believe. It's what keeps us in perspective while we play the game, because sport is for friends, and whoever wants to make real enemies out of their recreational time is a waste and a ruin. You don't have to be boring to have character (but it takes skill/PRACTICE)...and actually it's the "gitgud" croud who are the mindless redundant ones, parroting the same one-liners, the same hive-minded foul attitude that totally overvalues the importance of Sm4sh skill (ie. at all). All this is true because sadism is "unbecoming" as a matter of fact not opinion.

To think, that Sm4sh skill translates to life skill (strength of character) in any wise, that it justifies rebuking/chastisement...what is this I don't even...a fundamental truth twisted and perverted. "Sm4sh is life" etc.

Anyway, a little thing that grinds my gears is when I get punished for giving my opponent too much credit and him giving me none at all, like when a Lil Mac does two consecutive F-Smashes and I think "he's not dumb enough to go for a third" but he does. smh

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217

- don't fight like a ***** (running away, shielding too much, not attacking, but only reacting to the other player)
- don't use cheap and annoying tactics (grabbing, the whole time, ledge grabbing with every recovery)
:salt: Oh, look, the salt is all in it's contai-- :shaker: Oh, damn look who spilled it all over the thread.

Well, if you hate those kinds of characters, say goodbye to playing literally anyone with "good manners". I can't think of a single character who's optimum strategy doesn't fall into one of those categories... Not even Kirby, who your profile seems to indicate is your main.

To be frank, someone with as (frankly) crappy manners as you is in no state to be judging the manners of other people. Saying "GG does not exist in fighting games" is such crap, too, I can give you countless examples where I've enjoyed a match - if you don't, maybe you should just stop playing.

...-and you had the nerve to say that someone being polite is the one taking the game too seriously? I think you really need a long look in the mirror. (-and just sayin', having a name like "Playerhater" is not exactly a green flag in your defence either...)

Actually, relating this to the thread, this is the exact sort of toxic mindset and attitude that seemingly 90% of players have adapted to in FG, so it's no surprise that this would show it's ugly head elsewhere in the community. I dunno why you'd mimic that kind of behaviour in the first place. To be cool? I doubt the first thing people do when they see someone else being an ass IRL is copy them, so why this is the case in the Smash community is incredibly confusing.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Well so is taking of your hat and bowing, but you don't see anyone doing that. You know why? Because it's ********.

GG is redundant bull**** and meaningless if you say it after every ****ing game. So basically it becomes a recipe for crybabies who only seem to care if the other does not reply with GG.

'He did not say GG, so he must be salty!'

Euh no, you *******, he just doesn't want your ****ty copy paste manners shoved down his throat. There is no need to further elaborate on games that are already over. GG is for insecure twelve year olds without friends who want to be part of some vague online community of other nerdy kids. If you say stuff without meaning and expect others to do the same, you should punch yourself in the face.

GG does not exist in fighting games. If you lose, you should feel gutted and be silent. If you win, you either taunt, or have mercy by not making fun of the other by suggesting it was a good game when you just slaughtered him.So in both cases: stfu.

Next you're gonna tell me shaking hands is for queers.
And ledge-grabbing with every recovering is bad? Yeah, I agree, that's for cowards, we should all always recover high!

Also, it's 2016, people still use "12 year old" as an insult? Last time I heard that, Google + wasn't tacked on with Youtube.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This whole post was pretty obnoxious but what kind of mentality is this? If you lose, let it destroy your self esteem. If you win, be as arrogant as possible if only on the inside. Basically this is a tutorial to wind up as socially awkward as possible: put as much psychological gravity into minor things until they become the basis of your self worth. This may be some of the worst advice I've seen in a long, long time.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
People in FG have gotten into the really dumb habit of random taunting.

Just had a guy taunt me because I was charging limit break, and then again while I was recovering high. -and he's not the only one, it happens so damn often that I've just stopped cared about if my opponent is taunting or not when I hit them... :\

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
Some taunts can be good baits
Like that girl's dancing taunt that can be interrupted at any time

Playerhater

Smash Cadet
User was warned for this post
:salt: Oh, look, the salt is all in it's contai-- :shaker: Oh, damn look who spilled it all over the thread.

Well, if you hate those kinds of characters, say goodbye to playing literally anyone with "good manners". I can't think of a single character who's optimum strategy doesn't fall into one of those categories... Not even Kirby, who your profile seems to indicate is your main.

To be frank, someone with as (frankly) crappy manners as you is in no state to be judging the manners of other people. Saying "GG does not exist in fighting games" is such crap, too, I can give you countless examples where I've enjoyed a match - if you don't, maybe you should just stop playing.

...-and you had the nerve to say that someone being polite is the one taking the game too seriously? I think you really need a long look in the mirror. (-and just sayin', having a name like "Playerhater" is not exactly a green flag in your defence either...)

Actually, relating this to the thread, this is the exact sort of toxic mindset and attitude that seemingly 90% of players have adapted to in FG, so it's no surprise that this would show it's ugly head elsewhere in the community. I dunno why you'd mimic that kind of behaviour in the first place. To be cool? I doubt the first thing people do when they see someone else being an *** IRL is copy them, so why this is the case in the Smash community is incredibly confusing.
Mimicing? Isn't that cute... but it's wrong.

I can't blame you for being wrong though, it's just that you're too young, so I'll give you a little history lesson. That 'toxic mindset' you're talking about? I guess by that you mean the fighting game culture that started with Street Fighter II in the arcades. That was a place where you had to pay money for every game you played and where you actually had to face the other players. The only way to gain respect was through skills and there was no way to cheat yourself to victory. Cheap/lame playstyles were not tolerated because nobody wanted to see his quarters go to waste. You might call it ugly, most people consider it the golden age of fighting games.

Fast-forward to 2016 and we got the spineless hakunamatata generation. Gamers for which the developers have to waste time to code n00b friendly characters and tutorial levels. The 'everybody is a winner' core audience of pewdiepie. The soulless generation of EDM. Now you have two playes on either side of the stage throwing projectiles because they're both too scared to approach. Afterwards it's all GG bruaahhhhh.

The fact that you talk about a 'optimum strategy' that falls into one of those categories shows that you are totally clueless. The whole thing with fighting games is that there is none. It's all about anticipating, adjusting, skill, switching between offence and defense, looking for openings, setting up traps and in essence outsmarting your opponent. If you honestly believe there is a optimal strategy, then you're missing out on tons of other strategies that you could implement in your game/

And when the other player falls into those categories (let's say the overly defensive runner), all fun things about fighting games disappear. You don't have to be smart to beat a dumb player. Probably not even using half the moveset of his character. It becomes a paint by the numbers snoozefest of predictability that's about as fun as doing the dishes.

Oh and IRL? There are no GG at all. Ever. You have to win and do so concisely. There is no room for praising mediocre stuff. The only way you will get a GG is when you're packing the groceries of someone who earns four times as much as you do, just for being smarter and making better moves.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Some taunts can be good baits
Like that girl's dancing taunt that can be interrupted at any time
Bayonetta isn't even out yet. lol

Still, I guess?.. Not good enough though, obviously, since they still tend to get hit 9/10. lol

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
I ran into this a few times but one thing that get's me up in arms is I lose to a guy after making horrible mistake after mistake and they change their name to "urbad" then when I'm more focused and beat the guy the guy starts changing their name to "gitgud" and "nice spam" even if I A. completely body them or B. Actually make my combo strings work and get my reads.

It's scrubs like that who I show no mercy to.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity

I can't blame you for being wrong though, it's just that you're too young, so I'll give you a little history lesson. That 'toxic mindset' you're talking about? I guess by that you mean the fighting game culture that started with Street Fighter II in the arcades. That was a place where you had to pay money for every game you played and where you actually had to face the other players. The only way to gain respect was through skills and there was no way to cheat yourself to victory. Cheap/lame playstyles were not tolerated because nobody wanted to see his quarters go to waste. You might call it ugly, most people consider it the golden age of fighting games.

Fast-forward to 2016 and we got the spineless hakunamatata generation. Gamers for which the developers have to waste time to code n00b friendly characters and tutorial levels. The 'everybody is a winner' core audience of pewdiepie. The soulless generation of EDM. Now you have two playes on either side of the stage throwing projectiles because they're both too scared to approach. Afterwards it's all GG bruaahhhhh.

The fact that you talk about a 'optimum strategy' that falls into one of those categories shows that you are totally clueless. The whole thing with fighting games is that there is none. It's all about anticipating, adjusting, skill, switching between offence and defense, looking for openings, setting up traps and in essence outsmarting your opponent. If you honestly believe there is a optimal strategy, then you're missing out on tons of other strategies that you could implement in your game/

And when the other player falls into those categories (let's say the overly defensive runner), all fun things about fighting games disappear. You don't have to be smart to beat a dumb player. Probably not even using half the moveset of his character. It becomes a paint by the numbers snoozefest of predictability that's about as fun as doing the dishes.

Oh and IRL? There are no GG at all. Ever. You have to win and do so concisely. There is no room for praising mediocre stuff. The only way you will get a GG is when you're packing the groceries of someone who earns four times as much as you do, just for being smarter and making better moves.
Mate. Stop embarassing yourself, here.
It ain't our fault if your parents didn't teach you to be civil. What do you get for being nasty to your fellow player?
That's right, absolutely nothing. If your ego absolutely depends on stuff like that, stop and think what the hell went wrong in your life. Seriously.
Focusing on this one paragraph, here...
Funny how you're in a forum for competitive Smash yet you sound like you never heard of it.

Mothraniclus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1178-0677-3736

Excuse me? So being polite and a good sport is ********? You're saying all of us should become assholes that double the ocean's salt when we lose and make every single person know when we win? That will really only make everyone around you hate you, and whenever you need someone nobody will be there. Plus thinking that playing projectile heavy characters is being a bad sport just shows how many times you've lost to good zoners. It's not that I'm too scared to approach, It's that my character isn't designed for approaches. Either deal with it and find a way around it or lose to me and gtfo. Noob friendly characters are the core of fighting games. Without them every character would be super complicated and no one except die-hard fans would buy the game.

Mothraniclus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1178-0677-3736
Also you're saying that playing too defensively is cheap? Oh, I'm sorry, I guess I'll try to play offensively with PALUTENA and let you win because THAT'S NOT WHAT SHE'S DESIGNED FOR.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
People get really salty at Fox's Lasers... I decided to pick him up for a short while today and wow are people bad against those things. They'll sit there and take them instead of, I dunno, baiting my attack by letting me think I've baited them first? Anything would be better than acting like Fox's Lasers hitting you is the end of the world. I dunno, that doesn't sound really hard to run through the fire to me, but these people insist on rolling through, reflecting or even just shielding Fox's Lasers... What's up with that?

Just approach, they're like Oli's Pikmin. Unless you're planning on literally never taking damage (which is rare), you just man up and forget they exist, charge at Fox, and give him a bad time... Eurgh, whatever...

(20XX confirmed. YAP-YA-YA-YAPEDEYAP-YAP! MISHUN COMPRETE!)

[Edit]: Just pointing out that this grinds my gears because it seems like basic strategy to me... Am I the only one who thinks this?.. Seriously?

Last edited:

Mothraniclus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1178-0677-3736
What grinds my gears sometimes is how good Mewtwo is at avoiding approaches. That stupid thing can just jump around and I can never catch him. It's really irritating.

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
So, l'm trying out Cloud online. l meet a Villager. After a few matches, he says "LOL CRUTCH?".
:shaker:

Next match, l force myself not to use Limit Break AT ALL. Honestly, it was pretty interesting. No change. For some reason, l wanted to try to get the guy's respect, so l switch to lke, previous main and fundamentally a slower Cloud. After a win, he says "COOL MOVES". Knowing FG, it was probably sarcastic. l couldn't tell, tbh, which bothered me. Eventually, he beats my lke and just leaves.

And l remember a Japanese player with a really accurate Krillin Mii bodied my Marth with Diddy. He tells me to **** off, instead of leaving. l stay, hoping to get to learn the matchup. He went DK, completely sandbagged on me, and SDed a minute in. l DON'T GET IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!1!1111!

But most of the time, my experience with FG is mostly just too rolly, but that's normal. lt's just so upsetting that l never see any adaptation. l could be fighting these people for 2 hours and there'd be little difference. l don't understand.

But hey, it's not like l don't have this problem sometimes, to a much lesser extent.

One more thing, l keep feeling like l'll get absolutely no respect if l go Mac, even after all this time. l know l shouldn't care about FG like this, but l do.

Top Bottom