• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Game Should I Get?

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I really enjoyed and put a lot of time into Kid Icarus: Uprising. A lot of my time went into just replaying the story mode missions again after I beat the game and then playing the multiplayer a lot. In fact, thinking about it again makes me want to go back and play it.

Other games that I've put a fair bit of time into are Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing. They might not be for everyone but I loved playing both of those as well. I'm sure there are others as well, like the two Zelda games.
I beat Link Between Worlds at my cousin's last christmas or something. Didn't take very long. Maybe I just sped through it since I was on a time crunch, but it didn't seem like there was much in the way of replay value. Once you beat the main game that's pretty much it, right?

TryHardOliver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0130-2283-2936
For me defiantly Pokemon X. Sure the post game kinda sucks sucks but there's always online!

Overclocked

Smash Cadet
NNID
superfamicomwars
I beat Link Between Worlds at my cousin's last christmas or something. Didn't take very long. Maybe I just sped through it since I was on a time crunch, but it didn't seem like there was much in the way of replay value. Once you beat the main game that's pretty much it, right?
Pretty much, yeah. There is a hero mode but I believe that's the same game just on a higher difficulty.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
It all depends on you. The five games I've gotten the most hours out of on the 3DS are as follows (in order of hours played):

Pokémon X
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Fire Emblem Awakening
Bravely Default
Kid Icarus: Uprising

Whatever game out of these five you like the best I highly recommend. I just have gotten and beaten Uprising for the first time and my only regret is that I didn't get it the day it released. I'm still going to play it a TON until Smash 4 comes out! I love it.

Last edited:

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
Why? Was the online multiplayer better then or something?
No, it's not that. It's just that it took me two years to experience this wonderful game. TWO YEARS I went without knowing the greatness of Sakurai's other project!

However, that time has passed. I now know the joy that this game brings, and all is well.

RNH

Smash Cadet
Smash Bros has the most, obviously.

Some other ones:

Pokemon X (only if your in competitive battling, like I am)
Kid Icarus
Animal Crossing
Kirby Triple Deluxe
Fire Emblem: Awakening

Why? Was the online multiplayer better then or something?
I think he's saying that he was dissapointed he didn't get to play the game earlier cause he really loved it

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
Pretty much ever first party game. Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, and Smash will be there.

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
Fire Emblem: Awakening and Kid Icarus Uprising.

FangedSniper

Smash Apprentice
Mario Kart 7 is one of the best Mario Karts out there. The controls are so tight compared to the other MK's, and the online will keep you coming back for more. Also, it has 2 Rainbow Roads. One is the retro SNES version, and the other is just amazing (and also got a stage in 3DSmash)

Pink!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KirbyCanvasCurse
3DS FC
3695-0038-5541
Another vote for Pokemon XY and Kid Icarus Uprising. :)

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Pokémon. It will always be Pokémon.
Good ol' Cerulean Cave paved its way for the new ones.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This doesn't really need it's own thread here.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have a 3DS with $51.74 left in eShop credit. What should I get?
Preferably I'm looking for something that's an eShop exclusive, (there's no physical version of the game, such as Pokemon Dream Radar) or the physical copies cost significantly more than the download (if there's enough of a digital discount, it may be worth it to DL)

I already have:
- Fire Emblem Awakening
- Pokemon X
- Mario 2
- Zelda 1
- Resident Evil Revelations
- Pokemon Battle Trozei
- Pokemon Dream Radar
- All 4 of the StreetPass games
- Comic Workshop
- Smash Bros 4 (pre-ordered)
- Pokemon Omega (pre-ordered)
- Shovel Knight
- Mighty Gunvolt

Last edited:

WhiteCane

Smash Apprentice
NNID
3DisBlind-Man
3DS FC
5172-2293-0234
dang 3DS has great games looks like i'll need a bigger SD card, Mario Kart has a demo right?

what's Bravely Default like is it a good rpg?

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
what's Bravely Default like is it a good rpg?
Depends on what kind of JRPGs you're into. If you're into classic, SNES-era JRPGs then chances are you'll enjoy it. It doesn't really do anything that hasn't be done before but everything it does do it does very well.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
I want to get Pokémon AS (Alpha Sapphire) because I loved X. I also want Tomodachi Life. I will probably get AS anyway, but can anyone tell me if Tomodachi Life is worth it? I already have AC:NL, but I'm also considering MK7 over Tomodachi Life.

leeprtr

Smash Apprentice
NNID
leeprtr
3DS FC
4210-4734-6362
I have 12$ on the eshop. I want to get an oracle game. Should i get both ganes or should i get one and some other games?
Thanks!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I have 12$ on the eshop. I want to get an oracle game. Should i get both ganes or should i get one and some other games?
Thanks!
Personally I'd go for both. They're both really fun Zelda games. Plus, there are extras and content that are gotten when you have both games.

leeprtr

Smash Apprentice
NNID
leeprtr
3DS FC
4210-4734-6362
Personally I'd go for both. They're both really fun Zelda games. Plus, there are extras and content that are gotten when you have both games.
Do they have any replay value? Thats somthing i want in a game, as well as a long story
Thanks!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Do they have any replay value? Thats somthing i want in a game, as well as a long story
Thanks!
Yeah, they do. There's a lot to collect and nifty things that can change. Let's say you start with Seasons and then go on to Ages. The last part of Ages will actually be different storyline-wise (boss included) if you used your data from Seasons. The things that carry over are some small things, but the biggest part are Rings. They're equipment that can change some stats or abilities iirc. If you want to collect every Ring in the game, you'll have to beat each game twice but in this order:

Seasons -> Ages -> Ages -> Seasons. Vice versa if you started with Ages.

If you want to experience the whole story, you don't need to do 4 playthroughs. 3 works out if you do that order.

Edit: The story is what you can expect from a 2D Zelda. It's mostly gameplay content as opposed to dialogue, but this game has a ton of content for a GBC game.

Last edited:

leeprtr

Smash Apprentice
NNID
leeprtr
3DS FC
4210-4734-6362
Yeah, they do. There's a lot to collect and nifty things that can change. Let's say you start with Seasons and then go on to Ages. The last part of Ages will actually be different storyline-wise (boss included) if you used your data from Seasons. The things that carry over are some small things, but the biggest part are Rings. They're equipment that can change some stats or abilities iirc. If you want to collect every Ring in the game, you'll have to beat each game twice but in this order:

Seasons -> Ages -> Ages -> Seasons. Vice versa if you started with Ages.

If you want to experience the whole story, you don't need to do 4 playthroughs. 3 works out if you do that order.

Edit: The story is what you can expect from a 2D Zelda. It's mostly gameplay content as opposed to dialogue, but this game has a ton of content for a GBC game.
I think ill do that.
Thanks for the info!

finalark

SNORLAX
With winter break on the horizon I'm highly considering giving one of the Japan exclusive Fire Emblem games. I've played, beaten and enjoyed all of the western releases save for Shadow Dragon, which wasn't terrible but had the misfortune of being the first game in the series that wasn't particularly updated when it was remade. I didn't think it was a bad game, but I found it underwhelming and kind of boring compared to the other games I had played before it.

Anyway, I'm hoping that a FE fan more hardcore than I could help me find one that I might enjoy. I am a bit wary about playing some of the earlier games due to the above but I am willing to keep an open mind. I'm considering playing Genealogy of the Holy War, since I hear that title is particularly well liked among fans of the Japanese games but I'm also considering giving Binding Blade a go if only for the sake of completing the GBA trilogy.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
With winter break on the horizon I'm highly considering giving one of the Japan exclusive Fire Emblem games. I've played, beaten and enjoyed all of the western releases save for Shadow Dragon, which wasn't terrible but had the misfortune of being the first game in the series that wasn't particularly updated when it was remade. I didn't think it was a bad game, but I found it underwhelming and kind of boring compared to the other games I had played before it.

Anyway, I'm hoping that a FE fan more hardcore than I could help me find one that I might enjoy. I am a bit wary about playing some of the earlier games due to the above but I am willing to keep an open mind. I'm considering playing Genealogy of the Holy War, since I hear that title is particularly well liked among fans of the Japanese games but I'm also considering giving Binding Blade a go if only for the sake of completing the GBA trilogy.
The Shadow Dragon remake was a straight up "port" like Ocarina of Time 3D and Wind Waker HD. I'm guessing that Nintendo figured that Shadow Dragon's performance and how people bought OoT3D mostly out of nostalgia isn't a good business plan, but you can blame Fire Emblem not being popular and apparently Oot3D was a quick development compared to Majora's Mask 3D which the devs said they have more time which is why bosses, fishing, and other stuff is being changed.

I don't remember what people said about Binding Blade gameplay-wise, but be aware that Roy, the main Lord, will be gimped for pretty much the entire game since he won't be able to promote until like 3 chapters before the end compared to Eliwood and Hector from Rekka no Ken/Blazing Sword which allowed the main Lord - you can choose which after beating the game - to gain more levels after their promotion.

Thracia 776 and Genealogy of the Holy War are solid, I think. I do know that Genealogy is really harsh considering the fact there's descendents and that since it's an older game it won't be as friendly as Awakening or even Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn - I heard that Radiant Dawn is notorious especially on the harder difficulties.

There's also the Shadow Dragon sequel remake which is Japan-only. I don't remember if Shadow Dragon had a sequel and this is just a remake of the sequel or it's something expanded. I do know, however, it introduced the MU/Avatar concept, except in this game, they were decent units compared to Awakening where they're broken, but then again since you can max out everyone in Awakening, everyone was broken including the enemies (on Lunatic).

If you can get the games legitimately or find a way to support the devs, then go ahead. I suggest the Mother games as well for Japan-only Nintendo games.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689

The Japan exclusive FE games I can talk about are FE6 and FE4.

I'm a fan of FE6, but it's not perfect. The game is what you would expect from the GBA FE games, except harder. The main things that stand out a different from later games are the hit rates being a little lower, every chapter is a Seize map, Roy is a pretty bad Lord, thiefs do not promote, and Swordmasters and Berserkers get +30 crit.

FE4 has some interesting ideas, but I've had a hard time getting into it. The maps are massive, with several castles to seize you need to look at it as several standard FE maps put together, don't be afraid to save mid map and take a break. You'll find that mounted units tend to be more worthwhile due to the distance they cover, though you can deploy every unit you have. It's a very different game from all the other FEs, but it's not hard from what I've played.

Minato

穏やかじゃない

Even though you didn't like Shadow Dragon, I think it's Japan only sequel is worth a try. It's pretty modernized and is one of my more liked Fire Emblem games. Lots of great maps, familiar characters, and it continues where the story left off. Plus if you enjoyed Awakening's Avatar, you get to do the same thing there was well.

FE4 was my first FE game, so I have some bias for it. Like Rutger said, the maps are huge. It makes mounted units have a good advantage and the missions can feel long. It's a fun game though, and like Awakening, you have a 2nd gen of units to worry about. The story is alright, but the twist midway through caught me by surprised since I went in fresh.

I'd put FE5 off, and I suggest going onto it after FE4. It's the hardest FE game, but it's a quality game by reflecting the setting of the characters into the gameplay. The story's done rather well too.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
Fire Emblem: Awakening and Kid Icarus Uprising.
Just picked up Fire Emblem: Awakening for my 3DS off the suggestions of this board - looking good so far. I'd emulated a couple of the older ones on my phone and had liked it.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Just to let everyone know, Best Buy is doing 15 percent off eshop cards on Black Friday weekend in the US.

Past years it's been 20 percent, but this is still a good deal.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Just got my 3DS, so I am a 3DS noob. I am wondering what game I should get?

The system came with Link between Worlds so I am excited to try it since I never played A Link to the Past.

I dont think id want Mario Kart 7 since I love 8 and the console experience. I will probably get Pokemon Y since I love the pokemon games. Also ruby/sapphire remakes. Fire Elbum awakening has my interest, but never played that series so I am not sure. The Zelda remakes seem interesting, but i already played those games to death. Mario 3DS looks fun, might get that.

Any other game recommendations? or comments on the games I listed.

Thanks doods : )

Top Bottom