• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Game Should I Get?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Just got my 3DS, so I am a 3DS noob. I am wondering what game I should get?

The system came with Link between Worlds so I am excited to try it since I never played A Link to the Past.

I dont think id want Mario Kart 7 since I love 8 and the console experience. I will probably get Pokemon Y since I love the pokemon games. Also ruby/sapphire remakes. Fire Elbum awakening has my interest, but never played that series so I am not sure. The Zelda remakes seem interesting, but i already played those games to death. Mario 3DS looks fun, might get that.

Any other game recommendations? or comments on the games I listed.

Thanks doods : )
Please try to use the sticky threads at the top of the page when asking questions like these. Plus, reading through posts there can also help you figure out which ones may sound interesting as well. I'll merge this post into the thread in the mean time.

finalark

SNORLAX

The system came with Link between Worlds so I am excited to try it since I never played A Link to the Past.

I dont think id want Mario Kart 7 since I love 8 and the console experience. I will probably get Pokemon Y since I love the pokemon games. Also ruby/sapphire remakes.
If you enjoy the Pokemon games then there's no reason not to get X/Y or ORAS. X/Y isn't nearly as story driven as BW but is still enjoyable and ORAS fixes a lot of the issues that most people had with the original games.

If you're into RPGs then I'd also have to recommend Bravely Default, which modernizes a lot of old school JRPG game play without losing any of the charm. If you like SNES era JRPGs like Breath of Fire or the older Final Fantasy games then you'll probably enjoy it.

There's also Shin Megami Tensei IV. I'll be honest, the beginning of the game can be a real turn-off due to how hard it is but if you're willing to work past that the game gets really fun once you're geared and have a grasp on how the game works. In a way it's a lot like Pokemon where you have to get monsters to join your party but instead of capturing them you have to win them over with diplomacy.

If you're a fan of Kingdom Hearts then KH Dream Drop Distance is worth at least trying. Due to hardware limitations it does suffer from some camera issues and it does have some questionable design choices. Despite that at lot of the new mechanics work and it has a ton of memorable locations and bosses. Plus it sets up the plot of KH3, so there's that.

Aside from that there's also Smash 4. It's Smash Bros on the go. Since you're posting here I assume you like Smash so unless you're particularly picky I do recommend it.

Fire Elbum awakening has my interest, but never played that series so I am not sure.
Fire Emblem is a really solid series, if you're a fan of games like Final Fantasy Tactics, X-Com or the old Shining Force games then you'll probably enjoy it FE Awakening. If you've never played any of those games, Fire Emblem is a strategy RPG that combines character building with strategic turn based combat akin to chess. The games are noteworthy for their usually high difficultly but don't let that turn you away, starting with Awakening Nintendo has been including various features to make the series less intimidating for newcomers.

misterOWAIN33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MR_FA1L
3DS FC
2294-5361-2433

Fire Elbum awakening has my interest, but never played that series so I am not sure.

Thanks doods : )
FE:A was my first Fire Emblem game too (and I haven't gotten another one). It's lots of fun and is worth getting for the challenge as well as entertaining DLC (if you're into DLC).
However, it ate my life for a while, it might eat yours too.
Up to you.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I'm looking to get a few import games - Mostly DS and/or 3DS. English or Japanese, either is fine.

The region free/broken systems I have are GBA, DS, Wii, and PS3. Technically speaking, my N64 is region locked but the only reason this is true is because of a few plastic tabs that can be removed. My Super Nintendo might be the same way, my sources contradict each other on what you need to do to get a European or Japanese game to run on an American SNES.

Generally speaking, I'm looking for action-adventure, RPG, and action-RPG games. Maybe a few 2D platformers too. Or anything with mecha in it.

I'm not looking for anything that got released in the US, unless said US release was poorly translated, censored, or had content cut from it. I'm also trying to avoid cartridge games with a battery backup, since a dead save battery is a pain to fix and a replacement has never lasted me more than 3 years.

Soma Bringer is already on my list.
New Mystery of the Emblem is too expensive.
Is Bravely Default any good?

Any ideas?

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
This is the same kind of Japanese RPG experience older gamers will remember from the SNES or PSOne, and I say this in the most complimentary way possible. Everything is here: an apotheotic world-saving plot, quirky characters, turn-based combat and loads of innovative features that should please old fans and new players alike.

You command a party of four characters with different backgrounds: good-boy Tiz, who has witnessed the destruction of his home village; Agnès, vestal of wind, an important religious figure; Ringabel, a mysterious womanizer who has lost his memory; and Edea, daughter to one of the main antagonists. They are filled with personality and there's a lot of character development through the story. Some dialogue sections and cutscenes overstay their welcome, but there are many genuinely interesting moments, usually featuring Ringabel and one of his antics.

Arguably, the best feature in display is the job system. The game has a very Mega Man-like way of getting new abilities: after they are defeated, some bosses give you their "job asterisk", which allows you to assign that job to any of your characters. Aside from their current job, each character may keep a number of abilities gotten by their previous ones, leading to some great opportunities to mix-and-match in search of the perfect combination.

There's also great innovation in the turn-based combat with the "Brave" and "Default" abilities: the former lets you take turns in advance in order to act more times on a single sitting, while the latter allows you to "save" action opportunities for later. It works perfectly, and adds quite a few layers of strategy to the tried-and-true formula. Another noteworthy feature is the rebuilding of Norende village, a simple and cool real-time strategy subgame that gives you access to more special abilities, weapons and items. It's also worth noting that the game features microtransactions, but don't worry: they are largely useless, and you can get everything in the game without spending a single extra dime.

The story is your typical JRPG fare, very reminiscent of earlier Final Fantasy games, and as such isn't terribly innovative. It's usually interesting enough to keep you playing, featuring a lot of twists and turns, and overall avoiding simplistic manichaeism. The world is well-built, but that still doesn't justify the humongous amount of backtracking forced on the player in the late game, which is one of the game's main flaws. The story keeps getting more intriguing precisely at that time, however, which will be a good reason for most players to persevere.

Filled with content and offering a potentially huge main campaign (at over 100 hours, it is by far my most-played game on the 3DS right now), Bravely Default is a tight package that should keep any RPG fan happy. It's Square Enix going back to its roots and doing more of what they do best.

Last edited:

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Does anyone have any good game recommendations that have a good post-game? I usually don't like buying games that won't last me over a month of gameplay (otherwise I end up selling them for a new game).

To clarify, I wouldn't want a game that ends then forces you to create a new save file, or doesn't offer things to do after the game. This is probably one of the main reasons I don't usually look into Zelda games, because once you've beat every single side quest... there isn't much.

Any response is appreciated!

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Does anyone have any good game recommendations that have a good post-game? I usually don't like buying games that won't last me over a month of gameplay (otherwise I end up selling them for a new game).

To clarify, I wouldn't want a game that ends then forces you to create a new save file, or doesn't offer things to do after the game. This is probably one of the main reasons I don't usually look into Zelda games, because once you've beat every single side quest... there isn't much.

Hyrule Warriors would be a good choice, I've put hundreds of hours into it and still aren't finished with the DLC which is pretty damn cheap for all the content

Or y'know just any RPG in general

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX

Have you played Dragon Quest IX? I don't know if RPGs are your thing, but that game is HUGE in the sheer amount of things to do in it after you beat the game.

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
I can't decide between Pokemon Colosseum or F-Zero GX.

I loved both the Poke Stadium games when I was little and have always been in to Pokemon,
And I've been playing the GX demo I got with MarioKart:DD; it's hard, but I'm learning to like it.

finalark

SNORLAX
I wanna get into RTS. Anyone have any good RTS games?
Try Warcaft III and Starcraft II. The former is a bit dated as far as visuals go and it has a lot of RPG elements, but it's slower pacing and small armies make it perfect for any newbie to the genre IMO.

Starcraft II is the single most well known RTS in the world and for a good reason. It's very well made, it's a ton of fun and if you're interested in multiplayer the game has a very active casual and competitive community.

Unfortunately every other RTS I know I haven't played since I was in elementry school, and I'd rather not recommend games based on nostalgia.

EDIT: There's also Rise of Nations which is really engaging and has quite a bit of depth if you can get into it, but it has a very high learning curve and games tend to take a while.

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace

I loved both the Poke Stadium games when I was little and have always been in to Pokemon,
And I've been playing the GX demo I got with MarioKart:DD; it's hard, but I'm learning to like it.
I haven't played GX, but I can say that Colosseum is awesome. It's a bit different, but that's part of why I like it.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW

I've played both and prefer F-Zero GX, personally.

Phantomshadows

Smash Rookie
NNID
Phantomsama
3DS FC
3582-9638-6907
I'm looking to get a few import games - Mostly DS and/or 3DS. English or Japanese, either is fine.

The region free/broken systems I have are GBA, DS, Wii, and PS3. Technically speaking, my N64 is region locked but the only reason this is true is because of a few plastic tabs that can be removed. My Super Nintendo might be the same way, my sources contradict each other on what you need to do to get a European or Japanese game to run on an American SNES.

Generally speaking, I'm looking for action-adventure, RPG, and action-RPG games. Maybe a few 2D platformers too. Or anything with mecha in it.

I'm not looking for anything that got released in the US, unless said US release was poorly translated, censored, or had content cut from it. I'm also trying to avoid cartridge games with a battery backup, since a dead save battery is a pain to fix and a replacement has never lasted me more than 3 years.

Soma Bringer is already on my list.
New Mystery of the Emblem is too expensive.

Any ideas?
How about Super Robot Wars J for GBA and the 2nd Super Robot Wars Original Generations for PS3

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
@ Trieste SP Trieste SP
The obvious answer, Bravely Default. Aside from that, on the original DS there's the Pokemon games, Final Fantasy III and IV, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn and the Castlevania games.
Please don't play Dark Dawn, especially if you haven't played the first 2 Golden Suns. Dark Dawn was so bad I played the other 2 just to see if they were any good, because I couldn't fathom that a game series of that quality could have as large a fanbase as it does. I was happy I did, and now hold onto my copy of DD so I don't inflict the same torment on another hapless gamer, especially one unfamiliar with the awesomeness of the GBA games.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon is a good SRPG. It's not quite up to normal FE standards, since it's an updated remake of a much more primitive game (which shows), plus it has a bizarre RNG that's based on your DS clock. That said, just because it's a lackluster Fire Emblem game doesn't mean that it's not a good game.

FE: Awakening is amazing, if you haven't played it yet. Also great for shippers.

If you can read moon runes, I think FE: New Mystery of the Emblem was fairly well-received and not too expensive on Amazon. I'm told it suffers from many of the same problems as Shadow Dragon, though.

EDIT: It's suddenly struck me that I haven't played many RPGs on DS or 3DS. I have a feeling that I should probably rectify that, but my backlog is insanely huge already.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
You seem to have some pretty strong opinions about Dark Dawn. I suppose it might boil down to personal taste, but enjoyed it for what it was. IMO the weakest link in the Golden Sun series is The Lost Age.

@ Trieste SP Trieste SP :

If you're going to give Fire Emblem a shot IMO you should skip Shadow Dragon. It's a barely updated remake of a game that hasn't aged well, so you might as well just skip ahead and play Awakening.

Also, there's Dragon Quest IV, V and VI remakes plus Dragon Quest IX. I never could get into Dragon Quest but if it's your tastes DQIX is potentially an infinite time sink.

EDIT: Before I forget, if you can find a copy I highly recommend Phantasy Star 0. IMO it's one of the most underrated games on the original DS. It's an action RPG with local multiplayer (RIP online play) that has a surprisingly engaging story and very likable characters. Plus the story changes a bit depending on which race you chose to play, so it has quite a bit of replay value. I will warn that the controls are a bit wonky due to the limitations of the DS, though.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Excuse the double post, please.

I'm looking for a small MMO to kill time with this weekend. Preferably something old school with an isometric view, but I'm flexible. I'm okay with spending money if the game is a pay-once-then-free-forever sort of deal, but I don't want to pay anything more than $20. I'd rather avoid free to play due to the usual free-to-play issues (garbage community, cities crowded with spambots, being nickled and dimed at every turn, ect.) but if there's a free to play game out there that avoids the usual F2P problems I'd be interested.

I'll note that I was originally going to give Ragnarok Online a spin since it's well regarded and I've never played it before, but for whatever reason it keeps crashing whenever I try to run it and I don't care enough to spend time figuring out why.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Excuse the double post, please.

I'm looking for a small MMO to kill time with this weekend. Preferably something old school with an isometric view, but I'm flexible. I'm okay with spending money if the game is a pay-once-then-free-forever sort of deal, but I don't want to pay anything more than $20. I'd rather avoid free to play due to the usual free-to-play issues (garbage community, cities crowded with spambots, being nickled and dimed at every turn, ect.) but if there's a free to play game out there that avoids the usual F2P problems I'd be interested.

I'll note that I was originally going to give Ragnarok Online a spin since it's well regarded and I've never played it before, but for whatever reason it keeps crashing whenever I try to run it and I don't care enough to spend time figuring out why.
Well, it's kind of gone down the crapper in the last few years, but Dungeons & Dragons Online (DDO) it the only MMO I've ever played for more than a month, having enjoyed it for 4 years. Aside from Turbine being nerf-happy and unwilling to fix the crippling lagspikes*, it's got one of the best quest designs in MMOs and the multiclass system is a lot of fun to mess with. There's a lot of atmosphere and everything just looks beautiful.

*They're called lagspikes, but technically it's server thrashing. An instance, like a quest or a raid, encounters an error, or runs out of resources, or something like that, and as crash prevention, the server shifts the process to another thread. Since this didn't fix the original problem, it keeps doing this from as short a time as 5 seconds to upwards of several minutes. Nobody in the instance can move, but all server-side mobs like monters and friendly NPCs can still do whatever they want. I can't tell you how many Epic Elite raids I've failed in the last several months that we would have otherwise ROFLstomped if Turbine's coding department wasn't such absolute ****.

Last edited:

LozNerd

Smash Apprentice
Hello, so I have a GBA, 3ds, DS, and Wii u. Just to give you an idea of the kind of games I like, I finished all the Legend of Zelda games, Hyrule Warriors and FE awakening. I need a new RPG, any good ones for the systems I noted not rated M and along the lines of the games I noted? Should I get another FE game, and if so which one?

finalark

SNORLAX
Both Fire Emblem Blazing Sword (just Fire Emblem in NA and EU) and Sacred Stones are really good. IMO Blazing Sword is better but Sacred Stones is more similar to Awakening. Both games are available on the Wii U E Shop in PAL regions but if you live in NA only Blazing Sword is available. I'd recommend getting digital copies because physical copies of the original GBA cartridges can get kind of pricey.

Aside from that, it sounds like you like Strategy RPGs. A few good ones include:

- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA)
- Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 1 and 2 (DS/3DS)
- Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis (GBA)

finalark

SNORLAX
Anyone know if Parasite Eve is worth playing? I'm going to be wrapping up my play through of Code Veronica soon and I'm thinking I'm going to want to play another horror game not long after it. Parasite Eve has been on my to-play list for years but I never got around to it.

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
Anyone know if Parasite Eve is worth playing? I'm going to be wrapping up my play through of Code Veronica soon and I'm thinking I'm going to want to play another horror game not long after it. Parasite Eve has been on my to-play list for years but I never got around to it.
Yes yes YES! It has an awesome unique battle system, amazing music, and great art direction. The story is very interesting as well, memorable game just as series like Silent Hill and Resident Evil were.

Last edited:

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I really like Parasite Eve, but it's more of an RPG with sci-fi/horror elements than a survival horror game. Or at least, the first one is. The second one is more Resident Evil-esque. Something to keep in mind, depending on what kind of game you're looking to play. Second one has tank controls which I know is a dealbreaker for some people, but I feel like the game plays a little more smoothly.

Anyway, the plot is ridiculous, the music is great, the dialogue is fun, add some Cronenberg-level body horror on top of that, and you got a super good time! That being said, I'd say that you would have to really want to play them. Even though I have a soft spot for the series, I don't know if it's for everyone.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
It's my older brother's most favourite game/series of all time so that's saying something.

Also, if anyone liked classic sidescrolling Metroid (and likewise, handheld Castlevania games aka metroidvanias), definitely check out Axiom Verge. It's the Metroid successor Nintendo never made and probably never will.

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
So I'm just wondering if there are any more games worth getting for my 3DS. I currently own:
-Super Smash Bros
-Alpha Sapphire
-Omega Ruby
-Pokemon X
-Pokemon Y
-A Link Between Worlds
-Majoras Mask 3D
-FE: Awakening
-Kirby Triple Deluxe
-Mario Kart 7
-Super Mario 3D Land
-Kid Icarus: Uprising
-Yoshi's New Island
-Bravely Default

I plan on buying Bravely Second and both FE Fates games when they're released in the US plus the DLC path. I'm sorta interested in Rodea the Sky Soldier but I'll wait for reviews on that game first.
But are there any other games already out that are worth getting?

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
So I'm just wondering if there are any more games worth getting for my 3DS. I currently own:
-Super Smash Bros
-Alpha Sapphire
-Omega Ruby
-Pokemon X
-Pokemon Y
-A Link Between Worlds
-Majoras Mask 3D
-Kirby Triple Deluxe
-Mario Kart 7
-Super Mario 3D Land
-Yoshi's New Island
-Bravely Default

I plan on buying Bravely Second and both FE Fates games when they're released in the US plus the DLC path. I'm sorta interested in Rodea the Sky Soldier but I'll wait for reviews on that game first.
Shin Megami Tense IV

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
-Super Smash Bros
-Alpha Sapphire
-Omega Ruby
-Pokemon X
-Pokemon Y
-A Link Between Worlds
-Majoras Mask 3D
-Kirby Triple Deluxe
-Mario Kart 7
-Super Mario 3D Land
-Yoshi's New Island
-Bravely Default

I believe you may have every 3DS game ever made.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
-Super Smash Bros
-Alpha Sapphire
-Omega Ruby
-Pokemon X
-Pokemon Y
-A Link Between Worlds
-Majoras Mask 3D
-Kirby Triple Deluxe
-Mario Kart 7
-Super Mario 3D Land
-Yoshi's New Island
-Bravely Default

SMT IV
Persona Q
Pushmo and its sequels
Luigi's Mansion
Tons of Sega 3D Classics and Virtual Console games.

Top Bottom