• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What does Melee have that makes it so great?

Mooo

Smash Apprentice
the ceiling is just so high. i cant wait to see some1 who never messes up fox tech skill. it will be a glorious day in the history of video games.
dark.

but yeah, it's amazing how there is always room to improve, after a match in that you got ***** like crazy or that you won really close, you'll be able to notice stuff that you can work on in the future, and that's for top-level no different than for low level (at least that's what i imagine, since there is no match that is played perfectly from both sides, can't really say that i'm a top level player though..)

Mooo

Smash Apprentice
no, but from videos of actual matches i gather that he indeed rarely ever messes up techskill persay, he just tends to overdo it and often makes wrong decisions in what moves to do, but his techskill is really, really consistent (obviously not perfectly consistent, but yeah, consistent.)

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
a major thing is how ****ing awesome it looks.
ppl who have barely played melee or havent at all go wow when they see all the cool combos and **** this game has

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
I dunno for me its what is so awesome about smash 64? Cause its the same awesome. Nintendo fanboyism I guess

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Melee....it has that incredible movement capacity that I can't get with anything else. It all flows from one element of gameplay to the next effortlessly(movement to hits to combos to juggles/edgeguarding as one example). I feel so....alive and so awed by all that can happen in this game when I look at it and think of it. Melee was my first game to play competitively and it was the competitive game I played casually for years beforehand so it holds that dear place in my heart that goes along with childhood nostalgia. I'm very lucky I get to appreciate such a wonderful creation.

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
Melee....it has that incredible movement capacity that I can't get with anything else. It all flows from one element of gameplay to the next effortlessly(movement to hits to combos to juggles/edgeguarding as one example). I feel so....alive and so awed by all that can happen in this game when I look at it and think of it. Melee was my first game to play competitively and it was the competitive game I played casually for years beforehand so it holds that dear place in my heart that goes along with childhood nostalgia. I'm very lucky I get to appreciate such a wonderful creation.
Our current champ is Doctor ***n Pee Pee.

What.

The.

****?!??!?!

What other game has that?

THAT'S RIGHT.

NONE.

ZAHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Melee just has "it" more "it" then any other game. Once you've got to play it at a decently high level and see some of the amazingness thats happened over the years it's kind of hard for anything else to compare really. I mean I'm knocking Marvel vs Capcom 3 but to use it as an example I've seen little children in Gamestop pick up the controller and do 0-death combos that are pretty much fool proof. Some of the difficulty it takes to press the ****ing buttons the way we do and actually go for **** that is risky as hell and actually land it....man...nothing else like it.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Its the absolute control you have at all times over your character. Even while being comboed you could be smash DIing and then DIing the whole time. If you want to be the best possible you can't even waste a frame of zoning/positioning time because of all the ways to move and put yourself in a better position at all times, this even goes for when getting comboed. No other fighting game matches that which makes the skill cap almost infinite.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I will say now that if this turns into Melee vs Brawl I will immediately close it.

You can talk about why you like melee but none of the brawl v melee thing.
That's be kind of hard to do considering that to say why you prefer Melee over Brawl requires some amount of comparison. I will try not bashing it, but I think it's weird that we can't express our oppinion on the matter if we remain civil.

Now, the reason I prefer Melee to other versions is as follow:

- I like DI that permits a more combo-friendly approach. It's harder for someone to get out of your comboes.
- Character design. I beleive that characters in Melee were well developped. I feel they each feel distinct, yet not gimmicky. And yes, even the clones feel distinct. They play completely differently. And yeah, I didn't like some of Brawl's choices, like the Motorcycle side B with Wario. That felt off.
- Falco. Of all iterations, I love this Falco best. He's my main.
- Dynamic landing detection. I feel that landing depending on the attack used makes more sense.
- Advanced techniques. I find Melee to be an impressive show of a game that is truly hybrid. It allows for both casual party gaming and competitive gameplay.
- Less random occurences.
- Good stage.
- Fast speed.
- Rewards risk.
- Not very camping-friendly.
- Decent, yet still not perfect balance. But it had an acceptable balance.

Melee really gave me an adrenaline rush the first time I played it. It was my best gaming experience in a lifetime. Though Project M is looking pretty sexy.

Beat!

Smash Master
- It's fast like ****
- It has awesome combos
- Insane technical barriers
- Insane psychological barriers/concepts
- Great variety of tournament viable characters
- So much... freedom...
- A metagame that changes constantly

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
That's be kind of hard to do considering that to say why you prefer Melee over Brawl requires some amount of comparison. I will try not bashing it, but I think it's weird that we can't express our oppinion on the matter if we remain civil.
The point of the thread is to give reasons why you like Melee.

Not, why you like melee more than brawl.

I mean you CAN compare from game to game, but becareful that your post doesn't bash or put down players that play brawl.

Though, if you're unsure its bashing just opt to not post it. I'm not planning to be lenient for this rule. But, your post is fine so w/e

Smash Master
I like how you're in control even when the other person's getting off. I also like how even if they take your whole stock it's only like 8 seconds of getting ***** and then you're back to neutral position.

smashless gama

Smash Cadet
Melee is:
-more fun to watch
-better community
-requires more skill
But:
-very difficult to master
-not as many options
-very difficult to achieve the game's harder challenges (ex. events)

Brawl is:
-easier
-has more options (like picture-taking)
-more characters means more playing time
But:
-slower and less exciting
-characters are either amazing or terrible
-almost too many options (items suck :p)

Melee is my preference to watch and master, but Brawl is my preference to play for fun.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Omg @ PP's post.

It's like he reached into my mind and expressed my feelings better than I myself could.

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
dayum bro wtf, i didn't read this the first time i came to this thread, wtf was this ****, u made me cry and sh*t into my pants

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Melee is:
-more fun to watch
-better community
-requires more skill
But:
-very difficult to master
-not as many options-very difficult to achieve the game's harder challenges (ex. events)

Brawl is:
-easier
-has more options (like picture-taking)
-more characters means more playing time
But:
-slower and less exciting
-characters are either amazing or terrible
-almost too many options (items suck :p)

Melee is my preference to watch and master, but Brawl is my preference to play for fun.
Don't know where you got that from.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I would like to start out by saying that Melee has the best community ever. A decent amount of my very good lifelong friends were met through melee, and now we share much more than just melee. I've never met a melee player I didn't like.

The variety of combos is good. Percentage and DI having huge impacts on your options that force even the most experienced players to have to react and improvise on the spot is something I have yet to see in any other fighter, although I don't really follow any other fighters too much, mostly just SC4 and GGXX^C.

I also feel like the system of stocks resetting the match is a brilliant way to interrupt momentum a bit and let the other player get stage control. Sirlin has an article where he talks about systems to prevent infinites, and goes into a rant about mechanics of air juggling where characters become "heavier" after each hit and praises about how guilty gear has special gauges to prevent infinites, and to let players regain stage control, but just having stocks keeps any certain combo from being too good, the most you can lose is a stock.

Edge-guarding is cool too, but I suck at it.

BigWenz

Smash Ace
the fact that even if you are losing pretty badly, u still can bring it back by getting that one ridiculous 0-death combo or gimp out of nowhere. Watch jman vs hax winners finals match 1 from the most recent No johns and you will see what I mean.

and also gotta agree with kaffei, melee doesnt have a character that is just leaps and bounds better than all the other characters.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
the fact that even if you are losing pretty badly, u still can bring it back by getting that one ridiculous 0-death combo or gimp out of nowhere. Watch jman vs hax winners finals match 1 from the most recent No johns and you will see what I mean.

and also gotta agree with kaffei, melee doesnt have a character that is just leaps and bounds better than all the other characters.
Lunin vs Tang 3

That **** was sexy

Top Bottom