• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think of these Lucas-alterations for my homebrew DS-Smash?

I'm making a Smash-game for the DS, called "Smash Riot." I'm brainstorming ways to vastly revamp everyone in a way congruent with their current play-styles. My goal is to make a game wherein everyone is so enjoyably broken that tiers become impractically irrelevant.

A Lucas-advisor had alot of words with me about how to "get Lucas out of Ness's shadow," as he did NOT like that I thought about axing him. If any of you are also offended by the thought, know that I appoint advisors for just such a reason.

Here's the list of what I've changed, in accordance with the advisor's desires for Lucas:

Forward Aerial:
Lucas's hands glow with PSI-energy as he pushes downward: his hands are a light-knocking multiple-hit strike. The attack's primary effect is one half character-height above and below, and 2.5 character-widths in front of Lucas, where anything movable is strongly propelled to either the ground or doom: this is an example of a wind-box.

Downward Aerial:
The kick-sparks cause small quakes if they hit a surface, thus representing PK Ground—the last unused offensive PSI of the series beyond PK Beam, which I'll discuss in a moment.

Upward Aerial:
To reinforce further the mentality of Lucas—to force players towards Lucas's great ground-game—Lucas's upward aerial is vastly changed. Lucas vanishes, appears one air-dodge length upwards, and spirals down to his original position. The spiral-vacuum is above and below Lucas, and the final hit of the spiral is a spike. Since PK Thunder can carry opponents to the top blast-line, I suppose that the upwards aerial can focus on doing things other than attack above Lucas.

PK Thunder:
Both Ness and Lucas will have the superior speed and maneuverability that's split between them. Lucas's PKT will be able to carry opponents, instead of just hitting several times.

PK Freeze Beam:
I've been told that PK Freeze is pretty much a less useful version of PK Flash (which got some fun additions, in the plans), so I gave in to my advisor's incessant pestering and incorporated PK Beam into the game by replacing PK Beam: imagine a horizontal Bullet Seed, and you've got the general idea.

PK Fire:
I will not touch PK Fire, for the most part… and my abstinence will actually somewhat weaken it by relation. Fire will gain a special trait of causing damage over time, in Riot, but Lucas's fire-attack will lack that property on its first target: the flame from the hit will burn those behind whomever PK Fire struck.

PSI Magnet BrainShock:
The down-B is now the glorious return of Mewtwo's instant-stun move. I don't know how much I'll alter the move's area of effect, but I'm thinking that I will make BrainShock hit more than just what's immediately in front of Lucas.

Ness is getting Lucas's version of PSI Magnet, too.

PK Love:
To differentiate the childrens' supers, Lucas will have PK Love: it's a screen-overlapping move, like in Mother 3, and it hits everyone for quite a bit of damage. I'm unsure about the killing-potential of PK Love, at the moment.

PK Shield:
In a big twist, Lucas won't shield like the rest of the cast. When Lucas puts up a shield, he creates an independent floating defense-object that only he can move through. The floating-shield shrinks on its own, and the more frequently Lucas throws one up, the smaller each shield will originally be. A new mechanic in Riot is that a broken shield explodes as an attack (although the defending player is still stunned), and Lucas is as vulnerable to his own shield's burst as his opponent. Air-dodging will create a shield where Lucas is located at the beginning of the air-dodge.

So… what do you think? Do I deserve to be lynched? I'm also thinking of changing Lucas's fsmash to a slingshot.

Irsic

Smash Ace
Yeah, it's not as bad as you claimed, but taking out Lucas' PSI Magnet vastly changes the character from Brawl. His PSI Magnet is what makes half of Lucas' ATs. :\

PK Shield sounds odd...it almost sounds like it wouldn't work correctly and would either A) Make him the worst character, or B) Make him possibly the best.

Forward and Up aerial sound extremely interesting. Dair still has the same properties but now has an additional property, PK Ground right? SO just a buff?

PK Beam sounds awesome, PK Thunder sounds broken. <_< Which is awesome.

Please for the love of god, don't change his forward smash. Don't change anything about it.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
lol lagless usmash

This is purely stylistic, but I'd have nerdgasms if PK Love was preceded by Lucas pulling one of the Needles as in his victory pose. Maybe make KO potential dependent on proximity to the needle?

No PSI Magnet is :( since it's critical to Magnet Pulling.

Not quite sure what to make of PK Shield.

I love how all his aerials except nair spike somehow. I'm assuming you kept dair's spike, anyway.

Seconding prOAPC's request for homebrew sharing. :D

EDIT: Did you post topics like this on any other character boards?

Phelix08

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I'm not too worried about no psi magnet, because he would probably lose all the at's anyway (different physics = different properties of attacks)

And I agree with Irsic. Spend a lot of time testing that shield. It'll probably wind up either broken in an awesome way or broken in a useless way.

Other than that, sounds awesome.

Oh, and good luck making a homebrew smash game. That's gonna take a lot of work.

lil cj

Smash Lord
This idea looks cool
And it sounds like Lucas would be alot better/stronger than he is in Brawl
This is how Lucas should hav been
But like the others Im kinda having doubts about changing psi magnet

What an odd focus.

:laugh: Folks! If you just absolutely must have magnet-pulling, pick Ness! HE has it, in Riot!

I can give Lucas's nair a bit of extra DI, to allow a similar effect, I suppose? :ohwell:

I just thought of something for the slingshot-smash, if the fsmash is indeed changed! The slingshot-pellet will reflect any projectile it hits, and imbues it with increased speed and power relative to the smash's charge.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Part of the reason we're adamant about Magnet Pulling is that it's one of 2 ATs (the other being Zap Jump) that give Lucas his amazing recovery. I think we're more worried about losing the technique altogether as opposed to just doing it in a different way.

An Overlooked Addition

Recovery's the issue, eh? Thanks for reminding me about what my advisor told me about in regards to PK Thunder! In the Mother-series, PK Thunder can be strengthened to hit four times at once: to emulate that effect, both Ness and Lucas get 4 PK Thunders while in the air. Free-fall's being removed from Riot completely, so you'll be fully able to mix-up your tactics.

Irsic

Smash Ace
Com...pletely? So ...characters like MK will be able to shuttle loop endlessly? Actually, wouldn't that make it impossible to stop someone from recovering?

Irsic

Smash Ace
<_< Okay, I see what you're saying. I...like the idea, but at the same time I don't.

i.e. If MK's Mach Tornado in Brawl had that, he would be unstoppable. He would be able to nair until he hit floor after every Tornado, making it just ********. I have a feeling...that it shouldn't be removed completely. From recoveries sounds ...kind of reasonable, but at the same time it sounds as though edge hogging would be extremely hard. (i.e. Fox firefox's from below the edge and is edgehogged right as he gets up there, but isn't high enough to DI onto the stage, then does a nair, and grabs the edge, thus nullifying the edge hog altogether)

<_< Other than that, I have some other questions if you wouldn't mind answering!

How far done would you say you are with the game? How many characters are in it? Adding any new ones? (Geno?)

Collision's mostly down, and I'm currently devising an effective input-system. The main program-structure's been set. Since I'm going to be sued to high Hell and back for this, as things stand, I'm not yet going to consider catching the ire of ol' Squenix (the owner of Geno).

A-Luc

Smash Rookie
I think it sounds completely ridiculous. In a good way, though. I believe that Lucas should be higher up on the tier list, but then again, I'm against tiers. I'm probably posting this in the wrong thread. haha.

But seriously, great revamp of Lucas.

I feel you, mate!

I dislike tiers, too, but I must acknowledge their practical worth. My goal is to make it so that the tier of a character isn't actually very important; where the top tier may have 7 viable strategies, but the bottom tier's not much worse off at just 5 or 6: you dig? ;)

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Four PK Thunders? *faints*

I don't suppose there's any way to make them individually controlled. Unless they just go off in a straight line when the next one comes out.

Irsic

Smash Ace
Since you're releasing this online, you'll be able to fix the game as needed though, correct?

And you'll have Wifi play too? :D

B!squick

Smash Master
I can't find the one on the Sonic board, am I just not looking hard enough? Also, Lucas wont be broken. Bowser will hold that title. Check out the thread for yourself. :)

Top Bottom