• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you hate dying from?

arncakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
arncakes
Pretty self explanatory. Personally, I HATE dying from reflect moves.... like when I chop down my trusty old tree, they reflect it, and BAM! Instakill. It's the worst :(

Squadaloo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RodRodney
Hammer. It's like the game always goes "Oh hey, you're on round 13 of Crazy Orders and you only have 20% damage? Well, let me just spawn this here hammer next to your opponent on a tiny Omega stage. Good luck!"

Last edited:

arncakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
arncakes
Hammer. It's like the game always goes "Oh hey, you're on round 13 of Crazy Orders and you only have 20% damage? Well, let me just spawn this here hammer next to your opponent on a tiny Omega stage. Good luck!"
LOOOL I almost forgot about those. Yeah, they are definitely somewhere in my top 5. If you get the hammer item in smash tour, it's basically a free win in the next battle :/

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
When my recovery falls short even though it shouldn't at that point.

This happens most with Shiek but she's worth practicing with, but I've almost entirely stopped looking at the Miis because of this.

arncakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
arncakes
When my recovery falls short even though it shouldn't at that point.

This happens most with Shiek but she's worth practicing with, but I've almost entirely stopped looking at the Miis because of this.
I play Ness from time to time, and this ALWAYS happens with him.. sometimes I just hit the angle wrong and it sucks, so I understand what you mean.

Luckily, I spend most of my time with villager who never really runs into this problem :D

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
I play Ness from time to time, and this ALWAYS happens with him.. sometimes I just hit the angle wrong and it sucks, so I understand what you mean.

Luckily, I spend most of my time with villager who never really runs into this problem :D
Yeah Villager, Duck Hunt and Olimar are basically the Gods of recovery.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
When I see my opponent charging up something far away, so I rush at em one second to early, and instead of punishing em, I get knocked out.
Pretty self explanatory. Personally, I HATE dying from reflect moves.... like when I chop down my trusty old tree, they reflect it, and BAM! Instakill. It's the worst :(
Why would you use a move so unreliable and punishable anyway?

Mrkaoz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrkaoz
Down + A with ZSS, aim it wrong and fall of the platform :|
Or Side + B with Little Mac, killed myself a lot with that.
I feel so stupid.

Last edited:

arncakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
arncakes
When I see my opponent charging up something far away, so I rush at em one second to early, and instead of punishing em, I get knocked out.

Why would you use a move so unreliable and punishable anyway?
Because 80% of the people in for glory are dumb enough to fall for it, and the other 20% are still vulnerable to it if you can play smart enough. It's not unreliable. Punishable yes, but if you set it up at the right time you can avoid the punishes.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Dying from a meteor smash is soul crushing.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
Yeah Villager, Duck Hunt and Olimar are basically the Gods of recovery.
Villager has an amazing recovery, but Duck Hunt and Olimar probably have among the worst recoveries in the game. Anyone can jump off the stage and hit you (though CPUs are never smart enough to do this) because neither character has a rising hitbox.

I feel so stupid.
You should really almost never use ZSS' d-air; it's very easy to punish (even though you can roll out pretty quickly) and I have no idea why ZSS players online use it so much.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Because 80% of the people in for glory are dumb enough to fall for it.
Good point. I couldn't see how you could possibly get hit by such a predictable move. It's one of the worst things you can do against my Mario

arncakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
arncakes
Good point. I couldn't see how you could possibly get hit by such a predictable move. It's one of the worst things you can do against my Mario
I played against a Mario today who did it. Broke my heart. I guess the tree is kind of a risk, but from my experience it works more often than not.

Mrkaoz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrkaoz
You should really almost never use ZSS' d-air; it's very easy to punish (even though you can roll out pretty quickly) and I have no idea why ZSS players online use it so much.
It's very easy to punish indeed. But if you hit your opponent at the right time, it could be very effective to do a good combo for some serious damage.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Dying by an explosive spawning just within your reach to set it off, or really item spawns in general.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I played against a Mario today who did it. Broke my heart. I guess the tree is kind of a risk, but from my experience it works more often than not.
I once played a Villager on FG. Took his first stock with his tree and his second stock with his bowling ball. Most satisfying match of my life.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I feel so stupid.
You can add Falcon and Wizard Kick to that list. xD

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

Getting gimped. See, with Ike, after you use the side special (which is much better for horizontal recovery), you're left helpless, you can't use your up B recovery. (Same for Falcon, Ganondof, and a few others). That pisses me off, because so many other characters can use multiple moves to recover. If I hit Fox way out there, he can do his little dash, then his recovery. He has almost no problem making it back onto the platform. Knowing that I can't recover due to a character limitation is a horrible feeling.

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
The Beetle or that stupid Pac-Man thing that flies you out of the stage.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Lag. Or fraudulent players who rely on jank.

Last edited:

arncakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
arncakes
Another one of the worst ones is kirby's rock move... makes me feel like such a noob :kirby:

SharpMcHappy

Smash Apprentice
I get really sad when I die from a Falcon/Warlock Punch. Not because of the death itself, but because of the insane ego-boost my opponent just got.

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
Villager has an amazing recovery, but Duck Hunt and Olimar probably have among the worst recoveries in the game. Anyone can jump off the stage and hit you (though CPUs are never smart enough to do this) because neither character has a rising hitbox.

Maybe I'm just really good at dodging with them, idk I seriously adore their recoveries, DHD's is a bit slow but other than that atleast it's almost always a guaranteed recovery.
IMO Pac-Man has the worst recovery which is a shame because I love him dearly.

Squadaloo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RodRodney
I get really sad when I die from a Falcon/Warlock Punch. Not because of the death itself, but because of the insane ego-boost my opponent just got.
This is true. I know if I land either move, it doesn't matter what happens from there on out: I just won the match.

The Beetle or that stupid Pac-Man thing that flies you out of the stage.
This times 100. Worst items ever. They're way too difficult to shake out of.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Hate dying from, you say? Well, today, I was playing Crazy Orders, round 10, 3 customs unlockes, used Ganondorf, charged up a Warlock Punch, and then.... a frickin' Blast Box spawned RIGHT in front of my hungry fist... you should have seen my tears. They wre flooding the whole first floor of my house.

NairWizard

Somewhere
Maybe I'm just really good at dodging with them, idk I seriously adore their recoveries, DHD's is a bit slow but other than that atleast it's almost always a guaranteed recovery.
IMO Pac-Man has the worst recovery which is a shame because I love him dearly.
Worst recoveries in the game in order imo are Little Mac, Mario, Olimar, Duck Hunt, and ROB. All 5 are super edgeguardable (they move so slowly in the air that it's easy to hit them).

Pacman's recovery is pretty awesome. Side-b is crazy good, and up-b is fast and hard to edgeguard.

Villager's is awesome because to edgeguard him you actually have to hit both balloons and pop them *without* touching Villager. If you hit Villager by mistake, he'll just use up-b again.

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
Worst recoveries in the game in order imo are Little Mac, Mario, Olimar, Duck Hunt, and ROB. All 5 are super edgeguardable (they move so slowly in the air that it's easy to hit them).

Pacman's recovery is pretty awesome. Side-b is crazy good, and up-b is fast and hard to edgeguard.

Villager's is awesome because to edgeguard him you actually have to hit both balloons and pop them *without* touching Villager. If you hit Villager by mistake, he'll just use up-b again.
Side B recovery is amazing but Up B takes forever to reach full potential.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It gets very irritating when in Smash Run, someone uses a power that sets your damage to 100%, and you're literally going to always get KO'd first because of it.

Similarly, you become giant-sized to try to clobber everyone easily. Is that a guaranteed win? Nope, if someone uses a power that gives him/her a 1-hit KO chance, that weight boost will not save you at all.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
For some reason little macs give me the hardest time and not for glory macs, they suck, but my borthers little mac. I guess i am getting used to the new mechanics.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
SDing due to wrong timing or input. As Palutena, the feeling when you try to Up-B to recover, but do Side-B instead and die, then there's me trying to angle Up-B right, but lag ruins me. It's how I lose For Glory sometimes, more-so than seeing a skilled player. It infuriates me if I lose to a terrible player due to such a reason (besides obnoxious roll spammers and tier sellouts) when I know I could beat them. Honorable mention to cowards running away til Sudden Death and I lose.

Now item-wise, it has to be:
-A bomb spawns right by you and you hit it by accident and die. I cant stress out on how many times this has happened to me.
-Hammer, or alternatively, your own hammer backfires and you get knocked off stage to die.
-Beetle or the Galaga... I don't like how all it takes is one to take you out, and they can do it regularly when you're at a mere 40-50%.

That's the ones that I remember the most.

Last edited:
Top Bottom