• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What did the people who played it think? (Especially the invitational players and the CT members)

Japsy

Banned via Warnings
Did they say anything? Tweets, facebook posts, blogposts, Youtube videos? Really curious about what some competetive players like Chibo and all the Invitational folk (Hbox, amsa, Zero, etc etc) who got a chance to play today thought.

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
Tweet from Prog: "The game is a work in progress, but they are listening and asking for advice. For that and the opportunity, #ThankYouNintendo".

Tweet from PewPewU: "Thoughts on smash 4: it lacked pace. That's all i'll say for now". He also tweeted that "it's very fixable!"

hariooo

Smash Apprentice
The person who doesn't make a living by promoting Nintendo games is more critical. Consider me shocked.

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
Tweet from Hugs: "Played Samus for over 14 years, & 16 other knowledgeable players didn't pick her. If you believe Samus was the best, you are sadly mistaken".

Oh snap! Hugs keeping it real.

SirPainsalot

Smash Apprentice
Tweet from Hugs: "Played Samus for over 14 years, & 16 other knowledgeable players didn't pick her. If you believe Samus was the best, you are sadly mistaken".

Oh snap! Hugs keeping it real.
Maybe it was a mistranslation and Sakurai meant ZSS...

Otherwise I dunno, seems strange that Sakurai would say that Samus was the best then.

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it was a mistranslation and Sakurai meant ZSS...

Otherwise I dunno, seems strange that Sakurai would say that Samus was the best then.
No, Sakurai was definitely talking about Samus. Sakurai's point was that it was surprising that no one picked Samus because he thought Samus was the strongest character. Zero picked ZSS, so Sakurai couldn't have been referring to ZSS.

Last edited:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
It's probably just a case of Samus not catering to their specific playstyles, and them not realizing that maybe there are more approaches to using a character than what they're used to seeing.

Not that I would know, I'm no one important.

hariooo

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai doesn't think that people who aren't game designers should give him advice on how to make games. There's a certain logic to that.

So it should be pretty consistent that no one takes competitive advice from someone who has no idea how to play to win.

KoRLumen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoRLumen
3DS FC
3437-3066-8679
inb4 Samus is actually as good as Sakurai claims.

HMWii22

BRoomer
BRoomer
It is a matter of public record that Sakurai has a pretty limited understanding of advanced play. That's why he repeated all his Brawl mistakes again.

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
Game isn't out, and these guys had less than a day to play. Sakurai has been making the game for 2 years. It's likely he knows some things that we don't. Meta Knight was thought to be mid tier when Brawl released. Samus might very well be as good as Sakurai claims.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I always thought that Sakurai was referring to Samus on the current build.

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
Pretty sure I saw Hungrybox do a dash dance in the Grand Finals.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure they got a couple hours of practice in before the tournament started and Hugs would have picked Samus if he thought Samus was viable. I think in a 4 player items match there is no way Samus could work.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
The one samus I saw seemed faster and much more maneuverable while still being decently floaty. If it's harder to KO and Samus has some good stopping power, there may be some truth to this.

KoRLumen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoRLumen
3DS FC
3437-3066-8679
I'm pretty sure they got a couple hours of practice in before the tournament started and Hugs would have picked Samus if he thought Samus was viable. I think in a 4 player items match there is no way Samus could work.
They drew numbers from a hat and picked one character to play as. No one picked Samus, so no one tried her. The only way to know how Samus plays is by asking someone who played her on the show floor.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
They drew numbers from a hat and picked one character to play as. No one picked Samus, so no one tried her. The only way to know how Samus plays is by asking someone who played her on the show floor.
They let everyone practice on the game before doing draws.

Icy_Eagle

Smash Journeyman
Well when Sakurai decided to leave Brawl's balancing up to himself, we got Metaknight, so I can't say I have the biggest faith in his judgment of Samus' power. I'm sorry but I'm past giving Sakurai the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
Well when Sakurai decided to leave Brawl's balancing up to himself, we got Metaknight, so I can't say I have the biggest faith in his judgment of Samus' power. I'm sorry but I'm past giving Sakurai the benefit of the doubt.
Namco's Most likely helping

Icy_Eagle

Smash Journeyman
Namco's Most likely helping
Oh yeah, definitely, I'm not saying that I'm expecting a metaknight #2 situation, just that I personally can't take Sakurai's "Samus's top tier you guys" comment at face value at all.

As for the topic at hand, this was posted in another thread:

Last edited:

Qsmash

Smash Cadet
Just to note, Sakurai didn't say that Samus was the strongest out of his personal opinion, but out of evaluations ran through, what I guess were playtests. So, its the opinion out of several people and not just his own, but who really knows?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I love Sakurai, but don't believe a single word he says about which characters are strong and which characters are too weak. Remember, this is the man who let Meta Knight go to release when he was blatantly overpowered and unfun at even a casual level of play. Whatever team he had in place just wasn't getting the job done.

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
So what I'm seeing is the players are not too satisfied with gameplay. That's disheartening, I thought Smash 4 looked promising for competitive play.

Rocketman

Smash Rookie
At times it seemed kind of slow, but that Grand Finals match showed just how quick the game can be as well. For Singles Brackets, this game appears to have great potential.

Just make everyone play as Fox, and it'll be Melee :)

Wander

Smash Journeyman
Seems like a lot of techs are gone or completely ineffective. Hitstun appears to be greatly improved, but otherwise the general impression seems to be that it's a lot closer to Brawl than Melee. Of course the game is still months away, but...kinda disappointing v__v

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Oh yeah, definitely, I'm not saying that I'm expecting a metaknight #2 situation, just that I personally can't take Sakurai's "Samus's top tier you guys" comment at face value at all.

This is so disrespectful. Nintendo took their time to invite only 16 people to play this anticipated title, and she comes back and says the game is hopeless? That isn't helping anyone at all.

If you find it hopeless, GIVE IT SOME HOPE. She should've suggested what she did not like and what could've been done to improve on it. All she did was criticize Smash 4 with NO explanation. This is illogical, unproductive, and plain rude to Nintendo.

Nintendo is receiving feedback from everyone on the game. They care! They want to know what can be done. The game can't be improved on if she isn't going to contribute.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Nintendo is receiving feedback from everyone on the game.
Not true. According to the AMA, people on the show floor were asked for feedback, but the Invitational players weren't. Also, at the Round Table, a competitive player offered to help Sakurai balance the game. Sakurai's response was (probably translated) "Have you ever made a game?"

We still have steps to take to get a solid relationship with Nintendo. I'm grateful for what Nintendo has done so far, but not everything is perfect yet.

Edit: According to some people, what Sakurai said might have been just an honest question, not a mean reply. I'll have to see the Round Table thing. I believe there is a recording. Translation is weird.

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Not true. According to the AMA, people on the show floor were asked for feedback, but the Invitational players weren't. Also, at the Round Table, a competitive player offered to help Sakurai balance the game. Sakurai's response was (probably translated) "Have you ever made a game?"

We still have steps to take to get a solid relationship with Nintendo. I'm grateful for what Nintendo has done so far, but not everything is perfect yet.
And there were competitive players on the show floor who gave feedback as well. One player had mentioned cutting down on landing lag and adding dash dancing possibly. It was written down, and they even made sure they had the terminology correct. You're right about Sakurai being somewhat hard-headed about receiving help, though it could've been the way the player asked the question.

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
Also, at the Round Table, a competitive player offered to help Sakurai balance the game. Sakurai's response was (probably translated) "Have you ever made a game?"
That seems like a proper question to ask some random guy that offers to help make a game.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
That seems like a proper question to ask some random guy that offers to help make a game.
You're probably right, but when it comes to competitive games, highly-skilled players should be heard out.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
At first glance that does sound douchey to respond with. But then again, who takes help from random people to make a game?

Even if that competitive player knows his stuff, it would require more input from other skilled players, over one or two of them.

Last edited:

Rythven

Smash Rookie

This has been said to be false. At work right now so can't really verify, but reddit detectives have debunked it. Someone look into it?

Kokusho

Smash Apprentice
If I recall correctly the guy asked Sakurai for a 1vs1 and to help for the balance.
The question was kinda rude also, like "lets see who's the best, if i'm better you should listen to me".

And Sakurai is right on this one, being good at playing a game doesn't automatically make you good to balance one.
Then again I'm not defending Sakurai, I don't understand his thinking about smash.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622

Judging by the average attitude of competitive players who are hating on Smash 4, that competitive player who 'offered to help Sakurai balance' probably asked so with a condescending, superiority-complex-filled tone, I mean, that seems to be the one thing that would've sparked that reaction from Sakurai. I'm betting the question had more of a 'You don't know competitive play...blahblahblah' kind of tone.

I kinda had some respect for Peachyhime and loved the way she played, not watching another game with this ungrateful little...remarkable citizen again. She gets invited to the biggest Smash event of Nintendo history and then she pulls this? I mean, REALLY!? I would still be hyperventilating after being on the same stage as Sakurai and (To a much lesser extent) the Dorito Pope himself.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
At first glance that does sound douchey to respond with. But then again, who takes help from random people to make a game?

Even if that competitive player knows his stuff, it would require more input from other skilled players, over one or two of them.
Like the P:M Backroom? They just grabbed a buncha top tier player, asked them to balance a game... And... It's amaizng and very balanced.

That guy at the tbale should have responded "Have you ever played to win?". Take that for credentials.

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
You're probably right, but when it comes to competitive games, highly-skilled players should be heard out.
Which ones? Just the one that asked? Should Sakurai stop developing the game to address the individual concerns of every competitive smash player? If someone actually asked that question, they weren't thinking.

Exactly, it matters not who it is, it's arrogant to believe that he alone can find the best balance for the game with 0 experience making games.

Top Bottom