• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your opinions on Customs Post-Evo 2015?

Have your opinions changed?

• Total voters

shiggy

Smash Rookie
Pretty sure Rain lost to Villager in pools. Honestly though, all the anti-custom players need to stop saying "jank". As soon as you say that, any argument you have just looks silly.

Yeah if your tournament is more than an hour away on a bus/tube, this isn't really a feasible solution. I would feel really uncomfortable taking my Wii U long distances over crappy Irish roads. It's not as easy as bringing a memory card for the full Melee unlock. Also, transporting all the customs does still take quite a bit with a 3DS which could potentially delay the tourney if you're not showing up early but I guess if you're supplying a setup then you should be.
It is jank though. Most custom setups are a one trick pony. Customs don't suddenly make a low tier viable, they just needlessly complicate the game. Matchups should be Character vs. Character, not Custom2233 vs. Character.

I'd rather see what a character can do with their full moveset, opposed to constant spamming of a custom set that can *maybe* get a few cheap kills before people figure out how to deal with it.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
It is jank though. Most custom setups are a one trick pony. Customs don't suddenly make a low tier viable, they just needlessly complicate the game. Matchups should be Character vs. Character, not Custom2233 vs. Character.

I'd rather see what a character can do with their full moveset, opposed to constant spamming of a custom set that can *maybe* get a few cheap kills before people figure out how to deal with it.
Tell me, how is a custom move fundamentally more 'jank' than a default? Would you be fine with Villager having EBT and Trip sapling if they were default? Or DK with Kong Cyclone? Or Marth's Dashing Assault? Or any number of other custom moves? How exactly, is it a cheap kill if it's done with a special move? Because that's what customs are. Special moves.

shiggy

Smash Rookie
Tell me, how is a custom move fundamentally more 'jank' than a default? Would you be fine with Villager having EBT and Trip sapling if they were default? Or DK with Kong Cyclone? Or Marth's Dashing Assault? Or any number of other custom moves? How exactly, is it a cheap kill if it's done with a special move? Because that's what customs are. Special moves.
Taking a low tier character and giving them a single decent option through customs is jank. It doesn't make your character any more viable. Plenty of low tiers in Melee in Brawl had maybe one good approach or setup, and playing that character was jank because it was almost your only good option. It's jank because you're relying on a single custom move to somehow elevate your character beyond their default move set.

It would still be jank if it was the default move set. A lot of customs are janky because Nintendo obviously didn't put much effort into balancing them out. As I said before, I'm not saying they're overpowered. Evo clearly showed they aren't. Adding a gimmicky option through customs doesn't make your low tier character any better.

Customs aren't suitable for competition. Keep customs in and we're gonna start playing the banning game. "This custom is OP, ban it. This custom is also OP, ban it. This custom should be unbanned." Over 400 customs to look at and determine whether or not they're suitable for competition.

You already have 55 characters to choose from. Over 3000 potential matchups. The roster is complex enough as is. We don't need to see the new custom flavor of the week at every tournament, just play the damn game.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Keep customs in a separate bracket/tournament than Vanilla for balancing purposes. People can compete in both if they want (it literally requires the click of a button), but too many characters and players used customs as a crutch for skill... Static Manny and that Sapling/Giant Loyd/Explosive Balloon Villager player come to mind.
Uh, I don't know what you've heard about Static Manny, but he's been wrecking people in the Southeast for a while now, with or without customs. Sonic is ridiculous regardless of customs, and he's a very skilled player.

Uncle Honey

Smash Apprentice
As I said before, I'm not saying they're overpowered. Evo clearly showed they aren't...

...Keep customs in and we're gonna start playing the banning game. "This custom is OP, ban it. This custom is also OP, ban it. This custom should be unbanned." Over 400 customs to look at and determine whether or not they're suitable for competition...
Dont mind me. Just passing by today's contradictory argument.

David Viran

Smash Lord
It might also be worth noting that you can avoid these sort of stun infinites by holding down before getting hit by the shock if you are on the ground.
Yes this is because of crouch canceling but if you could crouch you could sheild.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
Taking a low tier character and giving them a single decent option through customs is jank. It doesn't make your character any more viable. Plenty of low tiers in Melee in Brawl had maybe one good approach or setup, and playing that character was jank because it was almost your only good option. It's jank because you're relying on a single custom move to somehow elevate your character beyond their default move set.

It would still be jank if it was the default move set. A lot of customs are janky because Nintendo obviously didn't put much effort into balancing them out. As I said before, I'm not saying they're overpowered. Evo clearly showed they aren't. Adding a gimmicky option through customs doesn't make your low tier character any better.

Customs aren't suitable for competition. Keep customs in and we're gonna start playing the banning game. "This custom is OP, ban it. This custom is also OP, ban it. This custom should be unbanned." Over 400 customs to look at and determine whether or not they're suitable for competition.

You already have 55 characters to choose from. Over 3000 potential matchups. The roster is complex enough as is. We don't need to see the new custom flavor of the week at every tournament, just play the damn game.
There are a lot of assumptions going on here. Customs on doesn't result in every character getting one isolated spammable move like you seem to think it does. Many custom sets have good synergy with existing specials or standard attacks, meaning you can now more safely use the moves that your character already has, due to things like the customs helping recovery, aiding movement, or dissuading your opponent from trying certain strategies. Look at Palutena: using lightweight gives her phenomenal movement options, but she still has to utilize her normal attacks and other specials for dishing out damage. Customs just allow her to better execute her moves. Or look at Ike: his close combat is by no means spammable on its own, but the additional pressure of the move and his improved recovery means Ike can play more aggressively with the rest of his toolkit. Not every custom is a Kong Cyclone.

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
Uh, I don't know what you've heard about Static Manny, but he's been wrecking people in the Southeast for a while now, with or without customs. Sonic is ridiculous regardless of customs, and he's a very skilled player.
Sonic is made even MORE ridiculous because of customs. Static may be pretty good, but is he really top 12 at a 1850 person tournament? Is he REALLY as good as players like Ally or Aba? Based on what I saw at Evo, he MIGHT be on a similar level to Boss, if anything.
Should we maybe increase the time limit for customs so he doesn't get to win every game by cheesing a timeout? But then could you imagine how much longer games would be? This is a legitimate concern with customs--It changes the meta so drastically that we need new rules and because of that it needs its own pools/bracket.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Sonic is made even MORE ridiculous because of customs. Static may be pretty good, but is he really top 12 at a 1850 person tournament? Is he REALLY as good as players like Ally or Aba? Based on what I saw at Evo, he MIGHT be on a similar level to Boss, if anything.

Should we maybe increase the time limit for customs so he doesn't get to win every game by cheesing a timeout? But then could you imagine how much longer games would be? This is a legitimate concern with customs--It changes the meta so drastically that we need new rules and because of that it needs its own pools/bracket.
Dude has gone roughly even with some of the best in Florida, including ESAM, iirc.

Sonic is lame as hell regardless of customs. That's just the game we choose to play. Sonic is entirely capable to trivially timing out 80% of the cast in default. Customs tend to give more characters tools to reasonably fight it, in my experience.

Last edited:

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
Dude has gone roughly even with some of the best in Florida, including ESAM, iirc.

Sonic is lame as hell regardless of customs. That's just the game we choose to play. Sonic is entirely capable to trivially timing out 80% of the cast in default. Customs tend to give more characters tools to reasonably fight it, in my experience.
Unfortunately, customs didn't tend to give more characters tools to reasonably fight it because he was still doing it in top 12 and was eliminated by 1111 Mario. Once again, I'm not 100% against customs, I just think they should have their own pools/brackets because of their effect on the meta. Winners (Customs) and Losers (Customs) alongside Winners and Losers brackets without customs. It literally requires clicking a button to turn on and off, so you don't even need more rigs to have the separated bracket. It's just so different from Vanilla Sm4sh that it could literally be it's own thing with it's own rules, so let the custom community work that out on it's own with it's own brackets. This is just my opinion, though.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Unfortunately, customs didn't tend to give more characters tools to reasonably fight it because he was still doing it in top 12 and was eliminated by 1111 Mario. Once again, I'm not 100% against customs, I just think they should have their own pools/brackets because of their effect on the meta. Winners (Customs) and Losers (Customs) alongside Winners and Losers brackets without customs. It literally requires clicking a button to turn on and off, so you don't even need more rigs to have the separated bracket. It's just so different from Vanilla Sm4sh that it could literally be it's own thing with it's own rules, so let the custom community work that out on it's own with it's own brackets. This is just my opinion, though.
I see you're ignoring the part where Static Manny regularly places incredibly well in a stacked region with or without customs. Maybe he's just really, really good with one of the best characters in the game. Maybe players weren't ready for that Sonic playstyle.

Mario is one of the best characters for fighting Sonic, period. If he was using Scalding FLUDD it would've likely been much easier on him, too.

Last edited:

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
I see you're ignoring the part where Static Manny regularly places incredibly well in a stacked region with or without customs.

Mario is one of the best characters for fighting Sonic, period. If he was using Scalding FLUDD it would've likely been much easier on him, too.
Then he'll do fine with both sets of brackets, won't he? I never ignored his skill, I strictly spoke about how customs in general change the meta quite a lot, and should be experimented selarately from Vanilla Sm4sh, because it's fairly accomplished. (But could still change!) As both a Mario main and someome who watched the matches several times, I have to disagree--Ally almost lost to Static, despite having the "matchup advantage" as you implied, having to play Static at his own game and time him out for one of the sets. I don't think Scalding FLUDD would've done much due to it's abyssmal range. If anything, high-pressured is the way to go. Force position changes and do what you can to him because of it--although this is easier said than done against Sonic.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
I see you're ignoring the part where Static Manny regularly places incredibly well in a stacked region with or without customs. Maybe he's just really, really good with one of the best characters in the game. Maybe players weren't ready for that Sonic playstyle.

It's a lot worse with customs because he lands for free due to double spring...the whole deal with Sonic is that he has trouble landing and you can punish that, customs make him a lot more polarizing.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Pretty sure Rain lost to Villager in pools. Honestly though, all the anti-custom players need to stop saying "jank". As soon as you say that, any argument you have just looks silly.

Yeah if your tournament is more than an hour away on a bus/tube, this isn't really a feasible solution. I would feel really uncomfortable taking my Wii U long distances over crappy Irish roads. It's not as easy as bringing a memory card for the full Melee unlock. Also, transporting all the customs does still take quite a bit with a 3DS which could potentially delay the tourney if you're not showing up early but I guess if you're supplying a setup then you should be.
Just bring a set up dude. You'll get customs, the tournament will run faster, and you'll probably get a discount. It doesn't take very long at all to transfer customs. 20 minutes, tops.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
If we look to top 32, we see that 21 different characters were represented in the top 32, three of which seem extremely likely not to have placed without customs (Wii Fit Trainer, Palutena, and Mii Brawler). We see that the only character who was dominant in any way was Sheik, a character who is clearly dominant in any ruleset. We also note Meta Knight, a character who is often cited as a not impressive character with poor customs, did make top 32 anyway, and we note that despite Mr. Game & Watch conventionally being on the list of "characters who really need customs", default G&W made it very deep on the skill of a dark horse player. It is indeed possible that customs in the long run may have a different result, but for now, it seems like they make some games more interesting, a few characters viable who wouldn't otherwise be, and beyond that don't rock the boat and don't serve as a detriment to players who want to use defaults. I don't see how this isn't a very positive outcome and one indicative of an overall improvement in balance.
What about the characters who don't have good custom moves, then? Since those characters don't have anything to match the other characters with, they fall behind. Because of this, custom moves would widen the gap between the characters. Just because a few characters benefit from custom moves doesn't mean that the game is more balanced overall. If a custom move or two causes a character to become drastically better than before, then that's more of a sign that those custom moves weren't balanced very well or at all.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Since people have been using anecdotes to debunk some anti-customs arguments, I'll share some of my experiences that counter those anecdotes.

The Logistics of Setting up Customs for a Smaller Scene

Not all regions have someone who has a Powersave and can easily unlock all customs on their 3DS. In my city, nobody has a fully unlocked 3DS or a Powersave and the people who own Smash 3DS are not supportive of customs. As such, we're forced to fully unlock customs on our Wii Us. Even with the turbo controller method, it takes more than a week to get a full unlock. The community also has a fairly limited supply of turbo controllers available, so we can't all unlock customs simultaneously. In addition, as someone who owns a turbo controller, there are people in my scene that bring set-ups but that I do not know very well, and I wouldn't be comfortable lending my controller to those people. The result of all these effects is that getting customs set up in my community has been a very long and tedious process that is still unfinished. If we choose to run a tournament, we can choose to run on either 6~ set-ups with customs on or 12+ set-ups with customs off. It's simply far easier and more efficient to run a customs off tournament.

People Drowning in Pools at EVO due to Customs

I won't go into as much detail as Amazing Ampharos regarding my own EVO pool as most of it was uneventful. However, I played two sets where customs played a huge factor, and was able to advance from my pool because of customs. I mainly played Mii Brawler because I thought some regions and players were not prepared for this character. The other characters I play are ROB, who is likely my best character even with customs on, and Rosalina.

My first set was versus 8bitman in winner's semis of my pool, who played ROB (1231 or 1131 I believe). We gentleman to Smashville because I'm a scumbag who takes advantage of player laziness to get one of Mii Brawler's best stages game 1. I win this game because I get a platform enhanced Helicopter Kick combo at around 40%. He takes a moment to recompose himself, wins a sort of close game 2 (he had a huge lead but I could've killed him off 1 grab because it was Mii Brawler vs ROB), before taking a hugely dominant game 3. He ended up winning so it wasn't the biggest deal; however, I definitely would not have taken a game against him without Mii Brawler. As a ROB player, I could recognize his ROB was far better than mine and my Rosalina is pretty garbage (while he has taken sets from Xaltis' Rosalina).

The next set was in loser's finals of the pool against Mav, who played a custom Mario (High Pressure Fludd and Gust Cape I think) and custom Fox (Twisting Fox, the wolf laser blaster, and I forget the rest). I 100% won this set because of Mii Brawler. I watched him play 8bitman, and I feel like he would've easily 2-0'd my ROB. However, he DI'd Brawler's dthrow outward and died multiple times at 40-60% from Helicopter Kick combos. This is a player who was prepared for customs, used his own customs well, knew about the Mii Brawler stuff, but lost to a worse player because he wasn't experienced in the Mii Brawler matchup. I do not feel like I would have made it out of my pool if customs were off.

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
This is a player who was prepared for customs, used his own customs well, knew about the Mii Brawler stuff, but lost to a worse player because he wasn't experienced in the Mii Brawler matchup. I do not feel like I would have made it out of my pool if customs were off.
I get what you're trying to get across here, but I don't think customs necessarily were the end-all be-all deciding factor in whether or not you won those matches. Like you said, Mav wasn't prepared for the Mii Brawler match-up, more than likely due to a lack of match-up experience. That's not really his fault though. Well...it sort of is, but hear me out on this one.

There are moves in vanilla Smash that are inherently good. Like, really good. In Smash 4, we've got Sheik's needles and fair, pre-patch Diddy's up-air, and so forth. In Brawl, it was Mach Tornado and IC's grab. Even Melee has its own fair share of absurdly powerful moves (hello shine). But characters with those moves were never considered for bans (with the exception of Meta Knight due to an abundance of other reasons) because well, that'd be ridiculous, right? Banning a character outright is an extreme measure, and the Meta Knight ban saw plenty of revolt because of that.

But say, in some alternate universe, there ended up being a community split earlier on in whether or not Fox and Falco in Melee deserved to be banned or not, for whatever reason. (I know it's not a realistic one, but just follow along for now) So about 75% of the world ban them, but a remaining 25% say, "Screw that, your rules are stupid," and keep them legal anyways. Now an upcoming super-major is coming up, and they decide to legalize Fox and Falco. While the 75% who banned them scramble to try to learn the characters (and complain about their broken moves), some naturally learn to abuse their options better than others, because that's how talent works. Come the super-major, a pools match between one guy from the 75% fights a guy from the 25%. Now despite never having banned Fox and Falco and knowing the match-up well enough, the 25% dude still does poorly against them and the 75% dude wins the set. He feels invalidated because he feels he used "broken moves" to win and didn't deserve the win. But to the 25%-er, he just accepts it as a loss, tries to learn from it, and tries his best to continue in loser's.

I don't know how good this analogy is, but I hope it gets my point across. The two players were essentially just exposed to two different metas, and the player who won just adapted to the meta better than the other. Does that mean the meta is bad or broken? Not necessarily, I'd say. It's just the way it is, and some people (coincidentally, like the guy who lost) like it that way.

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
I think we're going to have to just deal with the fact that smash (for now) is now going to split into two divisions... But that's ok, because we're a big enough community to do that and still function. I have a feeling though that in 2 or 3 years some anti-custom people will get curious and turn them on... I mean I love melee but I mean damn, how long can you play with the same 5 viable characters with no variation. I like pizza but I don't ONLY eat cheese, throw some pepperoni on that s***, maybe some hamburger meat or pineapple, u get the point.

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
I think we're going to have to just deal with the fact that smash (for now) is now going to split into two divisions... But that's ok, because we're a big enough community to do that and still function. I have a feeling though that in 2 or 3 years some anti-custom people will get curious and turn them on... I mean I love melee but I mean damn, how long can you play with the same 5 viable characters with no variation. I like pizza but I don't ONLY eat cheese, throw some pepperoni on that s***, maybe some hamburger meat or pineapple, u get the point.
There way more than 5 viable characters in Melee. I know this was a generalization but it was irking me.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
The next set was in loser's finals of the pool against Mav, who played a custom Mario (High Pressure Fludd and Gust Cape I think) and custom Fox (Twisting Fox, the wolf laser blaster, and I forget the rest). I 100% won this set because of Mii Brawler. I watched him play 8bitman, and I feel like he would've easily 2-0'd my ROB. However, he DI'd Brawler's dthrow outward and died multiple times at 40-60% from Helicopter Kick combos. This is a player who was prepared for customs, used his own customs well, knew about the Mii Brawler stuff, but lost to a worse player because he wasn't experienced in the Mii Brawler matchup. I do not feel like I would have made it out of my pool if customs were off.
That's just not adapting to a match up. Apparently he DI'd into it multiple times, how is this any different from DI'ing into a Hoo-Hah?

My first set was versus 8bitman in winner's semis of my pool, who played ROB (1231 or 1131 I believe). We gentleman to Smashville because I'm a scumbag who takes advantage of player laziness to get one of Mii Brawler's best stages game 1. I win this game because I get a platform enhanced Helicopter Kick combo at around 40%. He takes a moment to recompose himself, wins a sort of close game 2 (he had a huge lead but I could've killed him off 1 grab because it was Mii Brawler vs ROB), before taking a hugely dominant game 3. He ended up winning so it wasn't the biggest deal; however, I definitely would not have taken a game against him without Mii Brawler. As a ROB player, I could recognize his ROB was far better than mine and my Rosalina is pretty garbage (while he has taken sets from Xaltis' Rosalina).
This is more of a pro - customs argument than anything. He adapted to the jank and the rest of the matches played accordingly. The reason we use a "Best of X" rule set is so you can get as much information as possible regarding your opponent and their character. If we only played 1 game in a set I could totally see where you're coming from.

Not all regions have someone who has a Powersave and can easily unlock all customs on their 3DS. In my city, nobody has a fully unlocked 3DS or a Powersave and the people who own Smash 3DS are not supportive of customs. As such, we're forced to fully unlock customs on our Wii Us. Even with the turbo controller method, it takes more than a week to get a full unlock. The community also has a fairly limited supply of turbo controllers available, so we can't all unlock customs simultaneously. In addition, as someone who owns a turbo controller, there are people in my scene that bring set-ups but that I do not know very well, and I wouldn't be comfortable lending my controller to those people. The result of all these effects is that getting customs set up in my community has been a very long and tedious process that is still unfinished. If we choose to run a tournament, we can choose to run on either 6~ set-ups with customs on or 12+ set-ups with customs off. It's simply far easier and more efficient to run a customs off tournament.
Regarding the turbo controller method - It s RNG, so it's possible it took you a week, but it only took me 3 days (on and off). I left it on during school ( 8 - 4 ) then turned it off until I went to bed ( 9 - 7 ). Doing it like this took me 3 days. However, I already had a few unlocked, and had to get my last one manually. It still shouldn't take a week.

But for the rest of your problem, I don't know what to say. Your TO should be able to provide customs, or at least know of somebody who could. I can see why this is an issue for yourself, but wouldn't be a problem on a wide scale. It only takes 1 3DS with all customs, and it seems the 3DS owners in your area are assholes.

Last edited:

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Since people have been using anecdotes to debunk some anti-customs arguments, I'll share some of my experiences that counter those anecdotes.

People Drowning in Pools at EVO due to Customs

I won't go into as much detail as Amazing Ampharos regarding my own EVO pool as most of it was uneventful. However, I played two sets where customs played a huge factor, and was able to advance from my pool because of customs. I mainly played Mii Brawler because I thought some regions and players were not prepared for this character. The other characters I play are ROB, who is likely my best character even with customs on, and Rosalina.

Thank you for sharing your story about the logistical issues you have in your area. That's extremely unfortunate, and I don't think anyone will fault you for choosing customs off over customs on in that scenario. Hopefully more people realize it isn't such an easy fix, and it's something we should be discussing if we truly want a customs on game.

I think you underestimate your own ability and strategic preparation. Anyone who's unfamiliar with any match-up is going to have a difficult time dealing with it, regardless of the character or the rules. I've been killed by plenty of Zelda Up-B's just because I'm still unfamiliar with the character, and I'm never prepared for that move to happen. Your strategy was sound, and you took advantage of it.

Even if you get early kills with your character, you still have to outplay your opponent. You have to damage them to the point where you can kill, grab them in a spot where you can kill (or simply outplay them in a similar position), and you have to execute. All of those things are what lead to your wins, not Mii Brawler.

That said, I actually don't think that the Miis and their special moves should be the topic of discussion in this particular thread, as they're a different topic entirely, which is just nuts.

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
I think I do get the point of the argument though. Anti-customs guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the reason you guys are so against stuff like helicopter kick and trip sapling is because despite the fact that they raise these characters up in terms of viability, it's not in a constructive way. It's like why Fox is #1 in Melee versus why Meta Knight is #1 in Brawl. Fox is top because of potential and stuff you can do with his moveset, but you have to put in work to do it. Meta Knight, on the other hand, is an easy win button because of his low effort-high reward playstyle. Now, I think it can be fairly argued that the moves I just listed don't make Mii Brawler and Villager #1 on the customs on tier list, but their playstyle as influenced by customs resembles the kind of brokenness that plagued Brawl Meta Knight. Is that correct?

Last edited:

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Like MaxKetchum recommended maybe a character can only use one custom

This would omainly benefit characters who only need one custom to become better characters, such as Sonic, Sheik, and Pikachu. This would stuff out characters who need(or would greatly appreciate) more than one, like Palutena, Kirby, or WFT.

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
Ok so everyone's opinion seems to be formed about whether they like customs or not, and regardless of what the standard ends up becoming (though I doubt there will ever be a true standard) some TO's are going to host whatever kind of tournament they want. My question is: if you knew there was a tournament in your town close by doing to opposite rule set you agreed with, would you still go? I'm just curious as to if any of us are so against the other side they wouldn't.

I'm solidly for customs, but all I have to hear is "smash bros" and I don't care whatever else comes after that I'm there. My hope is that whatever gets decided, we can all live with it.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Ok so everyone's opinion seems to be formed about whether they like customs or not, and regardless of what the standard ends up becoming (though I doubt there will ever be a true standard) some TO's are going to host whatever kind of tournament they want. My question is: if you knew there was a tournament in your town close by doing to opposite rule set you agreed with, would you still go? I'm just curious as to if any of us are so against the other side they wouldn't.

I'm solidly for customs, but all I have to hear is "smash bros" and I don't care whatever else comes after that I'm there. My hope is that whatever gets decided, we can all live with it.
I'll gladly go a Customs Off tournament, and still use the same character actually. I'll just be disappointed if Customs On truly dies forever. :(

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
I'll gladly go a Customs Off tournament, and still use the same character actually. I'll just be disappointed if Customs On truly dies forever. :(
Oh it won't die out, EVO pretty much proved that there is nothing wrong with a customs on tournament. The issue is if the local players prefer it one way or if the TOs prefer it one way. Or if TOs just don't want to hassle with the extra mile you have to go for customs.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Oh it won't die out, EVO pretty much proved that there is nothing wrong with a customs on tournament. The issue is if the local players prefer it one way or if the TOs prefer it one way. Or if TOs just don't want to hassle with the extra mile you have to go for customs.
So if that's the case, what's wrong with venues alternating between the two like Xanadu has been, and some majors having it with and some without?

It's really no different than a reality show having different "twists" every season. I have yet to hear any of the survivor castaways say their season was unfair because of a twist (of course, they might get sued if they do :p). They just take it and move on. And this would be announced ahead of time so if you don't like a metagame, you don't have to go.

shadowmm151

Smash Apprentice

Yeah, but correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most Japanese players do worse in U.S. tournaments than at home? I remember hearing the different environments of cheering fans (some not cheering) are a struggle and a sharp contrast to the quiet and super polite atmosphere they have at home. I remember hearing this in the smash documentary from Ken and just recently I think ZeRo said the same thing. Losing to villager in pools doesn't necessarily mean it was customs. Also, I remember reading that the Japanese aren't too familiar with customs either. As far as I know, only Abadango has done well in the U.S.

Goesasu

Smash Journeyman
If i have to go to a custom off i wouldnt be using my one a true main shulk because really need decesive arts and advancing airslash to play the way i play. I know for sure i would play vanilla link thats my second best char and thats so sad because i have spent so many many many many hours on shulk, like really really many.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
What about the characters who don't have good custom moves, then? Since those characters don't have anything to match the other characters with, they fall behind. Because of this, custom moves would widen the gap between the characters. Just because a few characters benefit from custom moves doesn't mean that the game is more balanced overall. If a custom move or two causes a character to become drastically better than before, then that's more of a sign that those custom moves weren't balanced very well or at all.
Meta Knight made top 32, and his customs are often cited as among the very worst (while likewise MK is clearly not a top character in the first place). What better proof could there be that these fears are unfounded? I will say, from many months of experience, it's very obvious to me that the customs on game is drastically better balanced than the default game; there are just plain more characters able to do useful stuff. I actually look at it a lot like Reflex does. The best characters like Sheik can already do lots of "dumb", "jank", or whatever ridiculous word we want to use for it stuff that basically amounts to "stuff that makes me win". Customs in general represent more ways to win. The ones that fall to characters who already have the tools to win don't make the biggest difference (since those characters are capable of winning regardless) but make a HUGE difference when they fall to characters who don't (since those characters are suddenly rational selections). It's almost impossible for a force like this not to result in better balance, and predictably, the results turn out to be much better balance. If someone like Jigglypuff gets left behind, so what? Jigglypuff was already really bad, and better balance is about there being fewer, not more, characters as bad as Jigglypuff.

This is closely related to why arguments about what Nintendo is balancing are so irrelevant. Nintendo would basically have to willfully try to make customs bad in order for them to make the game worse. What they're actually doing (mostly balancing characters by not changing special moves significantly, both default and custom specials receive only minor changes in each patch) poses no real risk whatsoever of allowing the default game to become more balanced than the custom game. Unless Nintendo starts implementing some really radical changes from here, I don't really foresee a future in which defaults are ever more balanced than customs.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knight made top 32, and his customs are often cited as among the very worst (while likewise MK is clearly not a top character in the first place). What better proof could there be that these fears are unfounded? I will say, from many months of experience, it's very obvious to me that the customs on game is drastically better balanced than the default game; there are just plain more characters able to do useful stuff. I actually look at it a lot like Reflex does. The best characters like Sheik can already do lots of "dumb", "jank", or whatever ridiculous word we want to use for it stuff that basically amounts to "stuff that makes me win". Customs in general represent more ways to win. The ones that fall to characters who already have the tools to win don't make the biggest difference (since those characters are capable of winning regardless) but make a HUGE difference when they fall to characters who don't (since those characters are suddenly rational selections). It's almost impossible for a force like this not to result in better balance, and predictably, the results turn out to be much better balance. If someone like Jigglypuff gets left behind, so what? Jigglypuff was already really bad, and better balance is about there being fewer, not more, characters as bad as Jigglypuff.

This is closely related to why arguments about what Nintendo is balancing are so irrelevant. Nintendo would basically have to willfully try to make customs bad in order for them to make the game worse. What they're actually doing (mostly balancing characters by not changing special moves significantly, both default and custom specials receive only minor changes in each patch) poses no real risk whatsoever of allowing the default game to become more balanced than the custom game. Unless Nintendo starts implementing some really radical changes from here, I don't really foresee a future in which defaults are ever more balanced than customs.
On the subject of MK Customs, its customs are so good that 1111 is best set except in like, few matchups where High Speed Drill can be useful.

T4ylor

Smash Journeyman
On the topic of Meta Knight not being very good, I think he's a top 10 character without customs and is still good enough to see use in a customs meta. His advantaged state with his combo and kill set ups are just too good to be a middling character. That said, AA mentioned not caring about some bad characters being made worse in a customs meta, because of all the things the other characters gain. And that's just how some already feel, they don't care about the lesser characters, because customs still don't bring most of those up to the level of the higher tiers. It's kinda like what's the point? Sure, they are more likely to perform at locals, but in major tournaments they are probably much less likely to do well.

Goesasu

Smash Journeyman
On the topic of Meta Knight not being very good, I think he's a top 10 character without customs and is still good enough to see use in a customs meta. His advantaged state with his combo and kill set ups are just too good to be a middling character. That said, AA mentioned not caring about some bad characters being made worse in a customs meta, because of all the things the other characters gain. And that's just how some already feel, they don't care about the lesser characters, because customs still don't bring most of those up to the level of the higher tiers. It's kinda like what's the point? Sure, they are more likely to perform at locals, but in major tournaments they are probably much less likely to do well.
2x wiifit trainer top32 Evo disagrees so hard.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
That's just not adapting to a match up. Apparently he DI'd into it multiple times, how is this any different from DI'ing into a Hoo-Hah?

This is more of a pro - customs argument than anything. He adapted to the jank and the rest of the matches played accordingly. The reason we use a "Best of X" rule set is so you can get as much information as possible regarding your opponent and their character. If we only played 1 game in a set I could totally see where you're coming from.

Regarding the turbo controller method - It s RNG, so it's possible it took you a week, but it only took me 3 days (on and off). I left it on during school ( 8 - 4 ) then turned it off until I went to bed ( 9 - 7 ). Doing it like this took me 3 days. However, I already had a few unlocked, and had to get my last one manually. It still shouldn't take a week.

But for the rest of your problem, I don't know what to say. Your TO should be able to provide customs, or at least know of somebody who could. I can see why this is an issue for yourself, but wouldn't be a problem on a wide scale. It only takes 1 3DS with all customs, and it seems the 3DS owners in your area are ********.
I agree that knowing a matchup is a player's responsibility, though I don't like Mii Brawler and feel like the character allows worse players to win over stronger ones. I gave my anecdote mainly because @ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos was looking for a situation where customs affected EVO pool results.

AeonXero

Smash Rookie
Ehh, not all characters have customs available to them. Kind of unfair to allow them when some of the cast don't have the options.

Also, most of the top players agree that customs are more problematic than helpful. (specifically, ZeRo)

I'm inclined to side with them. Customs are cool but, as ZeRo has stated, they help top tier characters become even more powerful (citing Pikachu as an example)

Heck, even Esam believes Pikachu is broken soooo. Yeah. Customs off please.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
The issue I have with customs buffing bad characters to viable levels is that said characters tend to become one-dimensional/uninteresting in the process. Take a look at any top or high tier characters. These characters tend to be good as a sum of their parts with great all-around normals, specials, and other relevant fighter specs. These characters have a whole kit of tools that contribute to their top or high tier characters. To make a low tier character viable in a special move or two, that move has to be stupid good, enough to compensate for an overall lackluster character. Usually, it's just not enough. There's pretty much two relevant characters that exhibit this though. Donkey Kong with Kong Cyclone is a good example. Kong Cyclone essentially replaces DK's neutral game with a move that does it all out-of-shield and in general; range, damage, knockback, super armor, windboxes that can suck characters in or send them at really weird angles, and negligible lag so long as you autocancel it correctly (which is easy). This is why you'll often see people, instead of calling Kong Cyclone "broken" or "janky" (I swear some people ignore posts and just see this when it doesn't exist), say that Kong Cyclone simplifies DK's gameplay/neutral. You get this character that is utterly dull in all aspects, centralized around spamming one move -- hence the one-dimensional label. The best example of polarizing is Palutena. Infinite Lightweight makes Lightweight a move with no counterplay outside of the trivial requirement to position yourself to use Lightweight again (easy and not punishable at all. Palutena becomes A character with the best mobility in the game and throw kill setups that begin as early as 50-60% (dthrow -> nair -> uair at this percent), with essentially no drawbacks. Her entire kit becomes centralized around this one move (glitches move at that). These characters, due to their flawed normal kits, become excessively centralized around one option, one custom move that is their ticket to viability. For low tiers that don't get this kind of move, they still aren't good enough and therefore the buffs are irrelevant. This trend actually tends to follow for mid tiers and even certain high/top tiers that benefit from customs. Are there technically more viable characters? Maybe, let's run with that. The thing is that these characters are not made better as a sum of their parts but rather one specific move, which simplifies their gameplay and makes them overall less interesting/deep as characters. This is why people have a problem with Kong Cyclone DK, not because the character becomes overpowered or unbeatable with the move.

Top Bottom