• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your opinions on Customs Post-Evo 2015?

Have your opinions changed?

• Total voters

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Also give MK new custom so he won't get **** on by most of the cast, get invalidated by Villager or completely decimated by Mii Brawler no matter how he DI's down throw. Anything to make him not gutter trash.
If your customs sucks I don't really care. Everyone isn't going to benefit from customs. It's having the option and not having the option.
For all of you who think that Helicopter Kick is overpowered I would recommend watching Dapuffster vs. Artemis. I agree that even in a customs off meta, Palutena should remain customs off, and Miis should remain customs on. I was just curious to hear opinions.
Why in the world would we watch that set? The person eventually dies off the side to helicopter kick at like 60.

Charey

Smash Apprentice
What would the downsides of having custom and non-custom tournaments?

No true standardized rule set sure but I do ask if it would be a bad thing to have both.
Potentially less turnout to both types of events. In an ideal world people would show up to every Smash tournament but people will try to use thier attendance or lack thereof to push more tournaments of their preferred ruleset.

Super majors are somewhat immune to this because of how prestigious they are that people will show up even with the "wrong" rules but you can bet people will try to push every major towards thier ruleset. The last thing Smash4 needs is splitting attendance with a rules division.

Goesasu

Smash Journeyman
I play 2123 shulk as my one and only true main. 1111 default shulk to me is another character completely because my arts doesnt last as long,are weaker and cant be reactivated and fast so i cant be in speed or buster most of the time. Also im missing my seconds fastest frame attack after jab with advancing airslash, default airslash is weaker and so unsafe when missing. I couldnt care less about power vision because its noy easy to use against good players and regular vision is already strong.

if i cant use my customs i rather play default link than 1111 shulk since link doesnt change his playstyle like custom shulk.

Some characters not only get better with customs, they change playstyles: shulk, palutena,mii, robin, and others.

why would anyone dont let me compete with my 2123 shulk against 1111 sheik or diddy?
I would be forced to change to 1111 link.

why just why.

oldkingcroz

Smash Apprentice
If you are playing a DLC characters that's your own prerogative. You are choosing to play a character with no customs. Much like choosing to play a "low tier" character, you are sacrificing viability for personal preference in mains. Different characters have different options, and some characters have worse or even useless moves, when compared to others. So I main ROB, right. His Bair and side b are terrible moves, and I can't change this. I play the characters, and his faults in design are problems I have to work around, as a player.

Every character has their issues. If you choose to play Jiggilypuff, who is only half bad with bordeline useless customs, that's your own fault, that you can get around by playing a different characters. And believe it or not, the DLC characters are all pretty good with usefull specials.

Still- I don't think the "this character has less options, so customs should be illegal" argument should be used, because the game is A: not balanced. And B: taking away 100s of options of the entire rest of the cast, at the expense of 4 characters is extremely selfish and partial.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Why in the world would we watch that set? The person eventually dies off the side to helicopter kick at like 60.
The second game is certainly worse than the first.

Mii Brawler FAILS to kill Toon Link at ~103%. She also consistently falls out of his combos into Helicopter Kick, and even has bombs in order to knock him out of it (which is TL/Link specific). Mii Brawler has to fish so hard for those kills it's silly.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
It's like saying only control decks can sideboard and everyone is screwed.
It's more like Wizards printing a cycle in 4 colors, and people declaring that they should automatically be banned since that's unfair to the 5th color.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
People should not state that banning a custom moveset is equivalent to banning a character because both are clearly different things.

Last edited:

oldkingcroz

Smash Apprentice
AlMoSt, would you mind responding to my post, perhaps?

I mean- banning moves and options and strategies from the other 50some-odd characters is worse than not giving several special options to 4 characters, right? The DLC characters/ mains are in the minority, and I feel catering specifically to these 4, just to make them more viable (when they are all already good) seems to be favoritism.

Taking something from a person is much more cruel than not giving them something in the first place. That's how I feel about customs on DLC/ non-DLC characters.

Last edited:

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
To those of you who oppose customs only from a logistical standpoint: how do you feel about Palutena and the Miis? The Miis are able to use their "custom" moves even with customs off, and Palutena comes with all of her custom abilities unlocked. I realize that legalizing exclusively Palutena customs presents other discussions, but without them she's barely a character.

The Mii's on the other hand are, as I said, able to use their moves in customs off, which leads me to believe that they aren't customs at all.
I feel like this thread is taking the "logistic" side to be just "it's hard to setup at a tournament". Tournament settings aren't really everything - I'm much more concerned about my players who are turning up with no idea what's going on as they haven't spent several weeks grinding out an RNG unlock system. "Just learn the matchup" is fine and all but it is much harder to learn a matchup which requires you to fight RNGesus first. There are logistics related to simply getting customs onto everyone's systems and I don't think it's fair to call players lazy for wanting to play the damn game instead of boring themselves to tears for a while just to reach the entry barrier.

Anyway, regarding Miis, the customs off people I've talked to in the UK about this seem to be in the "1111 default" camp. We haven't come to any agreement on how sizes will work. In a display of complete hypocrisy, I'm in the 1111 default camp - matchup practicing be damned, I simply don't agree with three or four characters arbitrarily being given more options than every other character in the game due to the way their unlock system worked or, in the Mii's case, semantics with how the menu is laid out.

However, I recognise this is quite an uncommon opinion even for a lot of customs off players but the UK is extremely conservative with our ruleset these days (seven legal stages, customs off) so me being in favour of simplifying the ruleset shouldn't be surprising. All that said, though, I wouldn't mind at all realy if custom Miis/Palutena are allowed. I'll "fight" against Customs due to their standardisation being the death of growth in my small Irish scene as well being something I disagree with on a worldwide scale for keeping the game as popular as it is now... but I wouldn't fight against Miis/Palutena. That's a subjective issue related to whether or not it's fair to have more options or not. All my players have access to these characters from the start so I doubt they'd turn people away. I would prefer it if Miis were just Guest sized for simplification of the ruleset but that's another topic and not really relevant.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
AlMoSt, would you mind responding to my post, perhaps?

I mean- banning moves and options and strategies from the other 50some-odd characters is worse than not giving several special options to 4 characters, right? The DLC characters/ mains are in the minority, and I feel catering specifically to these 4, just to make them more viable (when they are all already good) seems to be favoritism.

Taking something from a person is much more cruel than not giving them something in the first place. That's how I feel about customs on DLC/ non-DLC characters.
When dlc was first announced we all assumed that mewtwo would have customs. People even found his customs files on the 3ds. Now that we're 4 characters in and the dlc have no customs. It's safe to assume that they will not get customs.

We've all paid for these dlc characters and they all have less options than the regular cast. I don't believe with the growing amount of dlc you can just say well it's only 4 characters so deal with what you're getting.

Customs is something new to the smash scene and at launch it was a good idea. I actually like customs. The problem is when they're creating characters and not giving them customs.

All the characters no longer have the same options or access to the same amount of moves. This isn't good in a competitive balance sense in my opinion. I don't think it's a selfish thing it's attempting to find balance. Which was one of the cries for customs a couple of months ago. Now it's just f those dlc characters.

CursedJay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CursedJay2
People should not state that banning a custom moveset is equivalent to banning a character because both are clearly different things.
Commented on this earlier, somewhere on pg. 9.

What I'm noticing is that people are behaving as if customs were a must. They were not a must. The meta would have grown with or without customs. Just a note.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
All characters should have soft and smash side b inputs, it's not fair otherwise
All characters should have cargo throw inputs, it's not fair otherwise

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Commented on this earlier, somewhere on pg. 9.

What I'm noticing is that people are behaving as if customs were a must. They were not a must. The meta would have grown with or without customs. Just a note.
I believe it's a difference in perspective.

Some people see the customs question as: should customs be allowed?

Other people see the customs question as: should customs be banned?

Since there's no evidence in either direction, whichever way you ask the question in your heart will almost certainly determine your answer.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
All characters should have soft and smash side b inputs, it's not fair otherwise
All characters should have cargo throw inputs, it's not fair otherwise
Smash input affects certain side special moves like Skull Bash, Green Missile, Burning Dropkick, and Monkey Flip. The first three listed special moves are very similar to each other while using smash input on the fourth one increases the horizontal distance traveled. Besides, smash input changing the properties of certain attacks isn't new. It can affect the damage of thrown items and the speed at which they travel.

Donkey Kong's cargo throw originates from the Donkey Kong Country series. The developers didn't decide to give him a cargo throw arbitrarily.

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Banning Dark Pit would be better than banning 2321 Wii Fit Trainer since there's fewer differences between Pit and Dark Pit than there are between 2321 and 1111 Wii Fit Trainer.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I know it's the result of frustration in a subjective debate, but the "ban DP, ban Needles, ban etc" as it's comparable/better/worse/whatever than banning "my character with customs" is not going to produce any opinion-changing sympathy.

Last edited:

shadowmm151

Smash Apprentice
I'm not saying ban one custom. I'm saying ban all of then.

All those moves are standard. HSB is a custom that gives Pikachu an unnecessary buff and is just crazy. All the top players seem to agree that customs are terrible and need to go after EVO and I agree.
You mean all the top players who MAKE MONEY at tournaments agree customs are terrible?! Unbelievable! Seriously, be reasonable, of course the top players wouldn't want customs if it cut into their winnings. It's more to learn for them and they can't get around unlocking them now. For example, look at the melee diehards, many of them have stuck with melee instead of moving to smash 4 right? Name another fighting game where an earlier version is still used. You can't. Now in melee's case a large part of it is because it's more aggressive fast paced game and a different style, but that isn't the only reason. Do you think someone like Mango or PPMD who is already top of the bunch wants to sit down and learn a whole other meta with 50+ characters when they're already making money at nearly every tournament they go to? NO! Why would they? Now forgetting melee and moving back to smash 4, obviously the top players in smash 4 will be against customs because there are going to be more competitive characters in play meaning they'll need to focus on more MUs beforehand which will be additional work and not a guaranteed paycheck. This is fact. Top players should definitely be heard, but when it comes to any rulesets that can affect their money, the ones who win need to be left out. And to be fair, I don't think there's anything wrong with that mentality since the top players still did well overall. They adapted because they were the best.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Banning Dark Pit would be better than banning 2321 Wii Fit Trainer since there's fewer differences between Pit and Dark Pit than there are between 2321 and 1111 Wii Fit Trainer.
Every single Wii Fit Trainer has the same normal attacks. The three clone characters have some differences in their normal attacks, although Dark Pit has only one. His strong side attack deals less knockback. However, he has a different final smash,and most of his special moves have slightly different properties from Pit's special moves.

As I said before, people should not state that banning custom moves is banning characters because the comparison is fallacious. That comparison is similar to arguing that there are 4135 characters in the game.

Last edited:

Illuminose

Smash Ace
Anyone who thinks top players are lazy about customs or don't want them "affecting their winnings" is full of ****. Top players prepared for EVO a lot and that includes customs, to pretend otherwise discredits them. It's actually just, y'know, an educated opinion formed by playing with customs on and off at top level and exploring both metagames. ESAM is one of the most ardent anti-customs players, yet he was using 2311 Pikachu. Dabuz is anti-customs, yet he was using 2311/1311 Rosalina. Abadango is anti-customs, yet he was using 1211 Wario. Nakat is anti-customs, yet he was using 1131 Fox. 1111 is Sheik's best set outside of the Rosalina matchup (in which 2111 is), that's not just people deciding against using customs. ZeRo actually prefers Diddy's normal Up B personally, which is fine. To suggest that these players haven't experimented with and explored customs, including customs matchups, is silly.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Anyone who thinks top players are lazy about customs or don't want them "affecting their winnings" is full of ****. Top players prepared for EVO a lot and that includes customs, to pretend otherwise discredits them. It's actually just, y'know, an educated opinion formed by playing with customs on and off at top level and exploring both metagames. ESAM is one of the most ardent anti-customs players, yet he was using 2311 Pikachu. Dabuz is anti-customs, yet he was using 2311/1311 Rosalina. Abadango is anti-customs, yet he was using 1211 Wario. Nakat is anti-customs, yet he was using 1131 Fox. 1111 is Sheik's best set outside of the Rosalina matchup (in which 2111 is), that's not just people deciding against using customs. ZeRo actually prefers Diddy's normal Up B personally, which is fine. To suggest that these players haven't experimented with and explored customs, including customs matchups, is silly.
There actually is irrefutably ignorance even at the top level. People like MVD, Seagull Joe, and Ally always hated customs yet clearly never played them enough to justify said opinion. They started with that opinion but never really proved it to themself or others.

The evidence for this is all of them at one point stated their respective characters customs were non-viable garbage, or strict downgrades, and now we're considering some of those specific customs almost or actually controversial.

Players like ESAM and ZeRo who clearly have experience to back up their opinion are totally justified in such, but don't give ALL top players the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

verbatim

Smash Ace
Can we talk a little bit about this "at the top level" mentality. People who play this game as a second or primary job, and do it at an international level are extremely good at what they do. Whether or not they used them, everyone who placed top 8 at EVO were prepared for the custom meta game and performed exceptionally well, including Abadango, who came from a country with next to zero custom exposure and beat the best Pikachu and a top tier Sonic with customs in his journey to 4th place.

With all that being said, there are a LOT more than 8 people who care about Smash 4 as a competitive scene, and they have a huge variety of opinions on customs. This discussion is still going on because it's a hard one. There are jank customs, and it's time consuming to account for them in addition to unlockable/dlc characters and stages, and there are characters who go from borderline unplayable at a top level to competitively viable (Wii Fit Trainer in top 32), as well as a second layer to the counterpick metagame with customs on. Some people want no customs, some people want all customs, some people want some customs. It's an important argument that needs to be had, even if we ultimately end up doing both (Apex customs off Evo customs on is actually a pretty nice compromise on an issue where no solution is going to appeal to every party).

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Is it really fair either way? No matter which way we go, we're essentially "Picking and choosing" who gets to be viable and who doesn't. Customs on? Then characters like :4palutena: and :4dk: become more viable and, on the opposite side of the spectrum, characters like :4jigglypuff: and :4zelda: get indirectly nerfed and become less viable. Customs off? Characters like :4jigglypuff: and :4zelda: become more viable, and characters who rely on customs for viability like :4palutena: and :4dk: become less viable. Do you see the problem yet? . It's not exactly fair either way, someone gets hurt, no matter which path we go, neither side has the moral upper ground. I'm against customs, for really just one reason, and it's a meager, pathetic if you will, reason. It's that I'm selfish, I want my main to be as viable as possible. I really wish all characters were just as viable as one another, but that isn't the case sadly, so, even though I feel sympathy for all the mains out there of characters who suffer without customs, I'll prefer to play without customs, merely to benefit myself by making sure my character doesn't become Hyrule tier yet again. I won't be outraged if customs became the standard, but I'd be a little upset, because it would mean that, once again, my character will end up near the very bottom, again, and as someone who played Brawl a lot as a "low tier", I really hate the sound of that. Sorry, but if stomping on other's viability is what it's going to take to remain at least somewhat viable, then so be it. If only every character was perfectly viable, this would never be such a problem in the first place.

verbatim

Smash Ace
I don't think Jigglypuff and Zelda (or Metaknight) lose ANYWHERE near as much from customs on as certain characters gain from them. No one goes from viable to unviable when customs are turned on, but many go unviable to viable when they're turned on. This isn't even counting the Mii's, who IMO should get a separate discussion revolving their tournament legality. I don't main any of them, but I feel horrible for Mii players who have to go out of their way to find out whether they're locked to 1111, xxxx, or flat out not allowed to play their character at EVERY SINGLE tournament they attend.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
If your character isn't viable to begin with, becoming worse in customs isn't really a valid concern.

Jiggs and Zelda are irrefutably non-viable in default.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
It's not even necessarily about viability. It's about having ACCESS to your mains. You can still play 1111 Jiggs man! But I will never get to play Lightweight Palutena in non-customs, ever.

[Deuce]

Smash Journeyman
I also motion to ban clones until all characters get clones.

All characters need to have identical options available.
To play devil's advocate these aren't really comparable. Clones are individual characters unto themselves. The exclusivity of customs is a real issue which is why I don't agree with the premise of picking and choosing which customs to ban.

Imagine if in melee only fox and marth had the option to have custom moves that were superior to their defaults. No one would be clamoring to allow them to use these moves. Its a case of the ends justifying the means, and as time has gone on, the controversy behind these means has only grown.

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Imagine if in melee only fox and marth had the option to have custom moves that were superior to their defaults. No one would be clamoring to allow them to use these moves. Its a case of the ends justifying the means, and as time has gone on, the controversy behind these means has only grown.
Isn't it more like if in Melee everyone but Mewtwo, Roy, and Ness had "superior" custom moves?

[Deuce]

Smash Journeyman
Isn't it more like if in Melee everyone but Mewtwo, Roy, and Ness had "superior" custom moves?
No, I specifically chose top tier characters to illustrate the fact that many are behind this because of the circumstance that quite a few of the lower tier characters have good customs that bring them up. If it were higher tier characters that were heavily boosted, not as many people would be backing it.

Edit: Especially given the exclusivity scenario (some characters having it, some not)

Last edited:

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
No, I specifically chose top tier characters to illustrate the fact that many are behind this because of the circumstance that quite a few of the lower tier characters have good customs that bring them up. If it were higher tier characters that were heavily boosted, not as many people would be backing it.
Good comparison. The difference is that if lower tier characters tend to be the ones with superior customs, the general power of the cast moves upward, and the balance is made better.

If only top tiers have worthwhile customs, the gap is increased, and the balance of the game is made worse by their inclusion.

I play Pit, who receives little to no benefit from customs, but I'm in favor of customs because they increase the general power of the cast, and in my opinion that makes it a better game.

[Deuce]

Smash Journeyman
Good comparison. The difference is that if lower tier characters tend to be the ones with superior customs, the general power of the cast moves upward, and the balance is made better.

If only top tiers have worthwhile customs, the gap is increased, and the balance of the game is made worse by their inclusion.

I play Pit, who receives little to no benefit from customs, but I'm in favor of customs because they increase the general power of the cast, and in my opinion that makes it a better game.
Yep, that's one of the main pro-customs positives. The distinction I was originally making however is that it is the general power of a section of the cast moves upward, as all DLC remain without access to customs, and looks to proceed in that continued pattern for future releases.

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
Palutena's offensive isn't completely oppressive with lightweight (even with the glitch), but she becomes far more mobile than Sonic with her custom specials. The problem with lightweight isn't "she might approach me with all that speed!", its the obvious run away factor that lets her ignore disadvantaged and neutral vs most of the cast simply because they cant catch her.
She has to approach somehow. Her ranged moves (Autoreticle and Explosive Flame) are both easy to punish since they take a long time to do. She has no spammable projectiles. If she's in light weight, she's looking for a grab. I've never seen a Palutena player go for a time out, but I'd like to see someone try it. They won't win.

Super Speed is an amazing move, but it is vulnerable. The hitbox on it is tiny. It's more of a fast mixup game, since she can jump out of it or do her dash attack.

I do think Palutena not getting customs is a huge tragedy. Her default down b is just objectively terrible. Her lightweight seems to be her design. She does not make sense as a character without it.

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Stuff about top players being lazy
Stop. Top players are at the top for putting their life and soul into this game. They do not hate customs because it "poses a risk". Let's check out Top 32 at EVO and see how many top players we find carried by Customs!

http://shoryuken.com/2015/07/19/evo...argest-fighting-game-tournament-in-the-world/

Oh.

Also suggesting Melee players don't play Smash 4 because they don't want it to cut into their winnings blows my ****ing mind, Melee players don't play Smash 4 because the game shares a title and controls and that's it. Melee is the only older game still played by the FGC because no other game in the series plays remotely like it. We need to stop pretending top players' opinions are irrelevant because they're all super selfish or something. It's an insult to the players who take this game we love to the next level.

I'm not sure how much I agree with "low tiers become much better". Okay, Palutena goes from bottom tier to high tier for sure. Everyone else gets gradual increases which in my mind are similar to top tier increases. Ike gets Close Combat, Sonic gets HSD, y'know? I mean everyone gets better (...Jigglypuff and Zelda excluded) but increasing everyone doesn't magically equate to more balance among the cast.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Top of the food chain, like anywhere and any context, will become complacent. Top players already have great smash skills and feasibly have not "struggled" in Smash in a very long time against anything, and things that come in the way of that will have the natural response you would expect.
It is absolutely no cake walk to become a top player, but when you suddenly throw extra requirements in terms of match up knowledge and skillsets, if it doesn't come easily there will be rejection. If the entire community around them endorses their rejection they become solidified in that stance. Unavoidable.

Top players will do what it takes, but the long term message spread has been "customs won't last after evo". So for a majority of top players thinking medium term, they're definitely unwilling to defer vanilla investment for customs as it would put them behind for the foreseeable future once Evo passed. They never had a reason to commit to it and likely never will. Several players who invested fully with customs are now in limbo, their skills won't be 1:1 parity with non-customs and they may struggle to catch up, to top it off the response of "abusing customs to do well, hence why they do poorly without" will be widespread.

It's never been a fair fight here.

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Every single Wii Fit Trainer has the same normal attacks. The three clone characters have some differences in their normal attacks, although Dark Pit has only one. His strong side attack deals less knockback. However, he has a different final smash,and most of his special moves have slightly different properties from Pit's special moves.

As I said before, people should not state that banning custom moves is banning characters because the comparison is fallacious. That comparison is similar to arguing that there are 4135 characters in the game.
Dark Pit only has 3 differences from Pit. His forward tilt has less knock back, his arrows are slower, do more damage, and have less control, and his Electroshock Arm sends opponents at a different angle than Pit's Upperdash Arm and they have more hitlag since it's an electric attack. 2321 Wii Fit Trainer also has 3 differences. Her Sun Salutation Shrinks instaed of growing, deals more damage, and doesn't heal her. Her Header now deals more knockback, goes at a different angle, and disappears faster. Jumbo Hoop has less vertical recovery, but more horizontal recovery, and it also has a larger hitbox. 2321 Wii Fit Trainer definitely has more (meaningful) differences than Pit and Dark Pit do (as Pit and Dark Pit have like different taunts, victory animations, final smash, ect. but none of those have an effect on gameplay).

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I was on the fence/indifferent, but I'm now actively a customs supporter.

Long story short, I feel like most of the top characters are "playing customs" when everyone has access to just their default specials. Having extremely strong advantaged state, extremely safe disadvantaged state, having incredible options in neutral, meaningful conversions off a grab...The top dozen characters or so are already playing a different game, and customs just makes it so that more characters are playing the same game as they are.

Balance is inevitably a factor when you talk in terms of that, but my reasoning is not "it buffs baddies and doesn't buff goodies as much." It's more like the things that people say are "jank" are already seen in spades in non-customs already, and as influential as they are on the metagame, I'd rather more characters have that available to them than fewer if we have the option. Again, as always, I'm a fan of adding more options for every character.

Last edited:

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Dark Pit only has 3 differences from Pit. His forward tilt has less knock back, his arrows are slower, do more damage, and have less control, and his Electroshock Arm sends opponents at a different angle than Pit's Upperdash Arm and they have more hitlag since it's an electric attack. 2321 Wii Fit Trainer also has 3 differences. Her Sun Salutation Shrinks instaed of growing, deals more damage, and doesn't heal her. Her Header now deals more knockback, goes at a different angle, and disappears faster. Jumbo Hoop has less vertical recovery, but more horizontal recovery, and it also has a larger hitbox. 2321 Wii Fit Trainer definitely has more (meaningful) differences than Pit and Dark Pit do (as Pit and Dark Pit have like different taunts, victory animations, final smash, ect. but none of those have an effect on gameplay).
However, the 2321 Wii Fit Trainer has exactly the same regular attacks, the same animations for winning and losing, the same taunts, and 2321 Wii Fit Trainer's moveset can be reverted to the default if you wanted to do that. Here are the reasons for why I believe that this argument shouldn't be used. The first reason is that the argument is trying to redefine the definition of a "character", so it is purely a semantic argument. The second reason is that if this argument is taken to its logical conclusion, then you're arguing that there are 4135 characters in the game, which is a ludicrous argument. It only needlessly complicates things.

Long story short, I feel like most of the top characters are "playing customs" when everyone has access to just their default specials. Having extremely strong advantaged state, extremely safe disadvantaged state, having incredible options in neutral, meaningful conversions off a grab...The top dozen characters or so are already playing a different game, and customs just makes it so that more characters are playing the same game as they are.
Just because the top-tier characters have great default special moves doesn't mean that they're "playing customs". In fact, this argument doesn't even make sense at all. Besides, the high-tier characters' default special moves have greater chances of being balanced by patches than any of the problematic custom moves do.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Just because the top-tier characters have great default special moves doesn't mean that they're "playing custom". In fact, this argument doesn't even make sense at all.
A lot of the stuff I find obnoxious in customs is the same stuff I find obnoxious in non-customs. The things I don't like about this game are prevalent no matter what we do about customs, but I find that customs does make it more interesting and mitigate some of my issues.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
A lot of the stuff I find obnoxious in customs is the same stuff I find obnoxious in non-customs. The things I don't like about this game are prevalent no matter what we do about customs, but I find that customs does make it more interesting and mitigate some of my issues.
What do you have to say regarding logistical issues? Imo, these should be addressed first and foremost before any subjective gameplay nonsense.

Top Bottom