• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

West Coast Smash League

Chosenl

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the reminder! If anyone can bring set ups: tv's, wii's with Brawl and Melee with MEMORY CARD,:
that would be awesome! Anyone who can bring parts the set ups will get a free meal with a VIP pass to all booth set ups (good for 1 use at each booth). Also, if anyone brings a full set up, they'll get free food, free venue entrance, and a VIP pass to all booths.

Irow

Smash Ace
You can scrape me all day long, I can get better that way.

I keep on airdogding, and it's ****** me.

Oh my God, my house is gonna be full of epic awesomeness when you guys are here.

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
@aznforce: lmao, if I'm not good enough for P, you are definitely not. I'm not implying that I'm good either. I suck at Melee

Charoo

Smash Champion
so, shouldn't me and ss get all of the prizes for going double falcon in teams?

oh yeah, I'll bring a set up if I go.

Race

Smash Lord
I'll bring peanut butter and ladies if I go. . .which I prolly will

I hope there is a 3s booth

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
sounds like it's going to be a disaster to me, no offense. 2 days is extremely ambitious to run 4 separate tournaments. Brawl singles alone took the ENTIRE day with 48 TVs at Axis, and this was without pools. You can't seriously expect to run Melee and Brawl singles, with an enjoyable format in the span of half a day. The entire second day for both doubles events sounds reasonable, but I strongly feel that your going to need at least another 10 hours to run a successful singles tournament. Until proved otherwise, I'm just going to stick to tournament hosts that have experience running successful large scale events. This of course isn't to say this can't be successful, but I learned my lesson from Axis.

Chosenl

Smash Apprentice
I know what you mean AzN Lep. I was at Axis too. The problem was that people reported false matches, and late matches started 30 minutes after they were called @_@; We will be very strict with match attendance by using the Mage DQ rules. They'll only have 10 minutes to get to their stations. If not, then too bad they weren't listening!!!! Also, its BOTH player's responsibility to report the matches. If someone reports a false win/lose, then their opponent better say something about it. If that happens and you don't report the false result that was reported, then too bad. We are very strict on time, and if you don't report your match, then we'll take your opponents word for it or DQ both people. I might take Melee Doubles out of the tournament just because they're isn't that many people entering.

Irow

Smash Ace
If it's small, then we could probably run it after Brawl Singles. That will take the longest, I'm sure.

And there is no way we could fit in any of the other events. If time allows, then Melee doubles should be a go after the Brawl Singles.

And I doubt there are going to be 300 people.

SuperRad

Smash Master
i think this could be run in two days without many problems. you have to be able to crack down on people. use the TV feature in tio. get as many people that you can trust to help. set stern disqualification guidelines (15 minutes after your match is called you forfeit or something).

does anyone know if the dorms at SFSU close before this? I could probably crash with my friend that weekend...

Chosenl

Smash Apprentice
Its a two day event. Someone suggested having Brawl Singles run for 2 day X_X; I don't see how that works, but its best to have Brawl Singles on the first day, with Melee doubles coming after.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
i will be glad to help. be strict on the timing and this shouldn't be a problem. the problem is TOURNAMENT HOSTS ARE NEVER STRICT.

you have to be strict as ****. ***s will immediately jump on a just-finished tv to play friendlies / money matches. (i am usually one of those ***s.) i'm sure other smashers will be glad to help it run quickly.

Chosenl

Smash Apprentice
Our Master of Ceremonies has that job of being strict since he'll be announcing matches.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
So more or less when will the date/time/and rotation of the tourneys be official?

aznforce817

Smash Lord
You can also do Loser report matches. No winner, only loser. cuz its much harder for someone to say... I LOST instead of.. I WON YAY! I totally 4 stocked ZHU! :p

Check the entrant count as well, im guessing that you'll have more tv's running brawl than melee cuz thats usually how it is nowadays.

replicate

Smash Lord
if you were worried about reporting false matches why would you have the loser report it

the winner wouldn't go up and lie about losing

and if you're going to use the mage's DQ rule, you'd better have a LOUD pa system
I'm always paranoid about getting dq'd in tournaments, especially if you can't hear your match being called in the first place

aznforce817

Smash Lord
no the person who lost would say I LOST. no one would ever say i won when reporting the match.

get what im trying to say :D at my tournament i tried reinforcing that, but i didnt announce it at the beginning so only a few players did it.

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
I definitely agree with Rep on this one. You should have a loud *** PA System so I'll be able to hear my match called from the other end of the venue. Getting DQ'ed from a tournament with such a high entrance fee simply b/c I couldn't hear my name is dumb.

Marceux

Smash Journeyman
There are a lot of things that should be done correctly, yadda yadda yadda.

I don't think anybody remembered this or mentioned this about axis but there were around 40+ tvs but they weren't all used at once because they called matches in waves. Like at one point, 1 hour went by BEFORE matches were called.

einthesuperdog

Smash Journeyman
Didn't he mention that each station will have it's own judge/ref? If that's the case then couldn't those people be the ones reporting match results? Might be hard to find 50+ reliable people to ref for you though.

EazyP

Smash Ace
There better be a 3s booth
Yes

ALSO THIS IS DEAD SERIOUS IF I GO HOPEFULLY SOMEONE DOES THIS

If any of you, ANY OF YOU, have a Sega Saturn, BRING YOUR SATURN and I will bring my copy of Street Fighter The Movie The Game for SEGA SATURN

Yes the ****ty one with JeanClaud Van ****ealksdjf;a as Guile

I has no Sega Saturn but I'm sure people would come in DROVES to play the game

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
This sounds amazing. Norcal might not have tournaments as often as other places, but Norcal ***** at having HUGE tournaments lately.

that destiny match thing sounds fun. Edrees, play me in tournament!!!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Naota has a strange relationship with his brother's girlfriend, who has magenta hair and smokes. She has cute lips and cute legs, but because of her personality and her smoking, he's not really sure if he likes her.

einthesuperdog

Smash Journeyman
Naota has a strange relationship with his brother's girlfriend, who has magenta hair and smokes. She has cute lips and cute legs, but because of her personality and her smoking, he's not really sure if he likes her.
Uh, non sequitur? I always liked how his friends refer to her as "Naota's wife"

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
What was the name of that other girl? The one who you hesitated in saving because her panties were showing. She acted too mature for her age. She was really cute too.

Man, how does it feel for robots to grow out of your head? That must suck.

mio

Smash Ace
I also don't want to end up wasting my precious school money for something that's gonna end up like Axis. And since we still don't know the details of this thing, I'll go ahead and make my suggestions:

-Make it clear when you are going to start, and start at that time. If people aren't able to register because of it, then that's okay because time is the most important factor in such a wide-scale tournament. It's the entrants' responsibility to come on time, it's your responsibility to keep things moving as quickly as possible.
-Use TIO and its TV assignment function, PLEASE.
-Even with the TV assignments, you will probably still lose track of TV availability at some point. Have at least two people ready to go scout the venue so they can verify TVs that are free.
-Keep Melee registration/brackets sepearate from Brawl registration/brackets. Try to have two of everything so that you don't have to do all your work in at one main station (people will swarm you).
-The WINNER of each match must confirm his own victory immediately after he wins. If he doesn't, then it's his fault for whatever record is made for him.
-Like everyone said, you need a PA system that can be heard throughout the entire venue. If you could get it outside, that would be even better. Hearing matches is a big issue at major tournaments.
-When people tell you they're gonna leave or go eat, write down their names, the time that they leave and how long they think they'll take. Then give them a little extra time to get back to their matches. You will probably have to disqualify a lot of people, but the ones who let you know beforehand should be able to keep their place.
-If you have a projector, don't use it on the "big boy" TV, because spectators are not your priority... organization is. People will be dying to see their bracket position ALL DAY, and if you just have a small computer screen then people are going to be crowding your bracket station like there's no tomorrow. I think you should have 2 of them so you can show brackets for Brawl and Melee at the same time. If you really want to show matches on them then get 4.
-Offer some sort of stipend for bringing set ups. It's a drag bringing your **** for a bunch of strangers to play on for an entire day, so offer some kind of motive/reward for it. This will ensure that you have plenty of set ups and it will make everyone happier.
-Make semi-finals and finals 3/5 games.
-Give players like 10-15 extra minutes if they need a break for back-to-back matches.
-Ask Race about getting food that is amazing and will sell out.

That's all I can think of right now but these things are extremely important.

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH MY GOD

I've been waiting for a major melee event for a minute dude

I'm going to this, no question about it.

I need a **** *** partner. HugQ or Lovage, you guys get dibs. Team with meeee :)
Youve tried the best
Now try the rest

Team with me P, I can make your wildest dreams come true

And to chosen, if there are no melee doubles...... I will cuuuut youuu:mad:

Top Bottom