• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Marth

Silveraen

Smash Cadet
Marth? Crazy grab stuff? You must be kidding.

Marth is definitely one of the most stylish killers. For some reason I'm just never happy when I KO people with someone else.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
I'm bored.

I'll wait to see if anyone says anything of interest.

What?

Expected me to post an essay?

I'm not that predictable guys.

Edit: I have decided to do something to alleviate my boredom. Considering the extensive knowledge I have gained thanks to my research on Marth's, I'm sure what I have to say will be of value in this discussion.

Only problem is.....there isn't much for me to say that I have not already said, so I feel like I have little to actually contribute. So...I will have some fun instead.

Whenever something is brought up, I will go try to find an excerpt from a thread that I posted. I will then quote that excerpt and post a link to the original thread itself so anyone can go back to it and find out info about Marth.

You were all talking about Marth's recovery before so....here we go.

The thread that this excerpt was taken from is titled, "Marth's Weaknesses" and here is the link. http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=183759

So...what other inquiries do you all have. This is good for me too. If you have something to say or a question and I can't answer it will force me to look into his game some more. Which is something I need since I have been getting bored of him lately. I tend to get bored if I feel like a character has been taken to the limit.
You did a mini essay lol.

cman

Smash Ace
EL kinda ***** this thread.
You're right about the Marth community though, I haven't seen this dedication in many of the other boards.
It's because marth is full of so much awesome, but not very noob friendly

Anyway, it may have been mentioned, but marth seems to have a massive tipper box on the back side of his dair. Its very tough not to tipper if they are behind you. Since it doesn't auto-cancel the uses are probably fairly limited though. I guess its pretty good to know when edge guarding.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Yeah...

I think Marth is the best character under Meta Knight
Same here.Marth does have a weakness against Snake though. I bet that eventually MK will get banned OR some chars will find a way to cancel lag even more and become candidates for top tier.hopefully marth.:p:p:p:p:p:p

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
The last two posters are silly and far too optimistic.

Just saying.

Shök

Smash Champion
I agree.

Marth is lower than MK and probably High tier.

We could all brag and say that he deserves to be Top tier, but the only way he will get there is if his metagame improves a lot or we win more tournies.

Simple.

MarTh-

Smash Apprentice
The problem with marth is you cant dash into combos, except with bladedance, but that can be countered with shield :D. He's hella fun to play & can fair well again a lot of characters, I think dedede gets rocked by him too. :lick:

Lv.99

Smash Journeyman
May I say that Marth has been nerfed to the point of ridiculousness since melee. Marth has been my enemy for seven years and I remember what a good Marth looked like in Melee. All trembled in his path as grab and Ken combos approached the field. Now, if you get Ken comboed that instigates a noob and the only surefire grab combo is back throw to c-stick f-smash. And, that doesn't even work with move decay. Eh, he's not the best anymore.

Shök

Smash Champion
He Never was the best LOL

That was fox

shiek too.

he was close, but no guitar.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
MARTH?
THE BEST?!

XDXDXDXDXD

He Never was the best LOL

That was fox

shiek too.

he was close, but no guitar.
Marth has become Melee's best basically during the few months pre-Brawl, and then post-Brawl release.

Shök

Smash Champion
Marth has become Melee's best basically during the few months pre-Brawl, and then post-Brawl release.

Oh,

I see.

I was still casual back then.

My mistake.

Well, hes close again in brawl, but still not with MK and Snake.

Shök

Smash Champion
Hope not.

In tourney rankings (ankoku's list) he's tied for third but in retrospect, that's not the tier list anyway.

Top 5 is fine with me.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I woudl say top 5
Meta, Snake. and Game and watch, are better
Im not sure though whether D3 is better than Marth or worse. This is the only question for me.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
sh$@!!!!
El was right.
Marth isnt going to be top tier anytime soon.
im going back to melee.

I sucked in brawl touneys anyways.:urg:

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Marth has been nerfed from melee. his range is decreased, his knockback is decreased, and his attack speed has been decreased.

his b move is now a stab, and it's stronger and takes less time to charge, but it's not very effective in air. his side b is easier to do, but its effectiveness has been decreased significantly. The fact the his b can be used as a recovery is dumb. By the time it is fully charged, you will be below the stage and will only go far forward under the stage. You now can't do the Ken combo. I just don't think marth is a very good character anymore.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ok. People who keep talking about combos are just ****ing stupid.

Brawl isn't about combos.

His attack speed is more or less the same. Some moves got faster by one frame others got slower by a frame. His knockback is actually increased.

Let me summarize everyone's thoughts in this thread.

Marth isn't the best anymore, but I really didn't know **** about his metagame in Melee nor do I know anything about his metagame in Brawl so I'm gonna say a bunch of dumb **** that isn't true and shows my ignorance. He can't ken combo at all so he must be bad M I RITE?!

Holy **** people fail so ****ing hard.

I'm sorry, that Marth gave you people nightmares in Melee.

It's like now that he isn't top 3 people run around talking about how he isn't a threat anymore, because he beat thier ***** so badly in the past. People are just haters it would seem. I would rather Marth be more of a threat in a Smash game that's decent and not ****ty.

Have fun dealing with MK BTW, who is FAR more broken then Melee Marth could ever hope to be.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Brawl Marth is all about combos. Specifically, holding forward and pressing B four times to get a combo.

Yay! Combos!

^_^

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Ok. People who keep talking about combos are just ****ing stupid.

Brawl isn't about combos.

His attack speed is more or less the same. Some moves got faster by one frame others got slower by a frame. His knockback is actually increased.

Let me summarize everyone's thoughts in this thread.

Marth isn't the best anymore, but I really didn't know **** about his metagame in Melee nor do I know anything about his metagame in Brawl so I'm gonna say a bunch of dumb **** that isn't true and shows my ignorance. He can't ken combo at all so he must be bad M I RITE?!

Holy **** people fail so ****ing hard.

I'm sorry, that Marth gave you people nightmares in Melee.

It's like now that he isn't top 3 people run around talking about how he isn't a threat anymore, because he beat thier ***** so badly in the past. People are just haters it would seem. I would rather Marth be more of a threat in a Smash game that's decent and not ****ty.

Have fun dealing with MK BTW, who is FAR more broken then Melee Marth could ever hope to be.
I think we broke EL guys =[

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Nah.

Just sick of seeing the same **** since Marth was first unlocked in Brawl.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
I forgot to add that his counter does 1.1 times the damage of the attack that he countered and does a minimum of 8%. Ike's counter does 1.2 times the damage of the attack and does a minimum of 10%. Ike's counter is obviously better.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ok, you are clearly trolling now.

Don't be so obvious next time.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I forgot to add that his counter does 1.1 times the damage of the attack that he countered and does a minimum of 8%. Ike's counter does 1.2 times the damage of the attack and does a minimum of 10%. Ike's counter is obviously better.
You are wrong, Marth' is better, and Steel is definitely right about the frame thing, because today I hit Ike and took no damage while he was going into his defensive pose. Quit trolling.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
ike's takes a longer time to react, but with good timing, it will hit. marths is just easier to pull off

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ok, so dudes.

All the above poster does is go into character threads and post about why that character isn't good. So, just put him on your ignore list and it's all good.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
lol.

From your post I would say you only think about 3 characters are good. Hell I think you said Falco isn't good which is just preposterous.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
what i meant was that falco was nerfed, which he was. he isn't exactly bad, but he isn't as good anymore. same thing for marth and fox.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I don't know how you can compare Marth and Falco to Fox.

They have much better options then him.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
i wasn't exactly comparing them to him.

also, in some way all of the characters have been nerfed from melee thanks to the removal of many AT's, which is why i prefer melee over this game

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Also, for the record you really can't say that anyone was nerfed from the last game.

The engines are different and the focus of high level play has shifted. This game is too different on a high level to really say that someone was nerfed or buffed.

They are just different characters altogether in an all new game.

You are limited by your perception.

You said you wanted to have intelligent debates in your thread? So I assume you wish to increase your awareness. Well start with what I just said. Do that and then you can look at this game from a higher level of perception.

Top Bottom