• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Marth

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Have you played any good Marth's?

It goes both ways my good man.

The important thing is that both personal experience AND analysis play a role in understanding match-ups.

And for the record there are ALOT more good R.O.B's then good Marth's.

If you look over what you said, it's very broad and some of the info is just incorrect.

You can't make blanket statements that aren't true.

And YOU might not have any trouble in the match-up but it seems like the R.O.B community as a whole as well as the Marth community agree on the match being close.

Evidence of this is the tournament loss thread you made and a few Marth vs ROB threads that were made by Marth mains who had trouble vs R.O.B

Both sides acknowledge that it's a close fight whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

I already covered the recovery thing before.

As for Marth making it back, how hard is it?

You talk as though R.O.B is getting 30% gimps left and right. He isn't. Not against a good Marth. He really doesn't have the tools or the speed for that.

R.O.B is certainly a better gimper, but Marth isn't so easily gimped thanks to that up b.

Now if Marth is forced low then yes he is pretty much gone, but that won't happen that often. Certainly not enough to say that gimping is the main factor to look at in the match-up. Generally a Marth would only have to DI up when knocked off the stage and then use a fully charged neutral b. If he is mid level then it favors R.O.B more but he can still get back. But generally yes overall gimping does go to ROB.

ROB certainly can't come back on his own pace.

What part of..."if ROB goes past the ledge and tries to land on the stage he is in bad position" is actually arguable?

This isn't anything I'm pulling out of nowhere. It's fact.

If Marth is on the ledge ROB must up b far enough away that he can avoid getting hit, but this gives Marth ample time to prepare for when ROB wants to land. This means the situation is in Marth's favor. So even though Marth won't get alot of gimps through edgeguarding, the edgeguarding situation in of itself allows Marth to put ROB in a disadvantageous situation when he tries to get onto the stage.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
ROB does well against Marth; the only time a decent ROb player has lost to a Marth has been when that Marth has just been a really good top player in that region. Meep, BarDull, B0A, Neo... it is rare that a good ROB loses to a Marth because he has a pretty strong advantage. They MAYBE go even on the stage, but off the stage it's completely in ROB's favor at all times.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
If Marth put ROB off the stage it's his advantage and vice versa.

You haven't given anything to prove that it's a strong advantage for ROB.

All you have talked about is edgeguarding which is just one situation in gameplay.

lol.

You need to come to EC son. Problem is all the good R.O.B's are on WC and MW and the good Marth's are on EC. Bardull and Hugs should play but I think they are in different parts of Cali.

And I could argue that it's Marth's advantage on stage since he punish pretty much anything ROB tries at close range.

I could also argue that Meep is more or less on the same level of ChozenOne and Nackers.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Texas doesn't have any really good ROB players :(. We do have Roy_R though >_>.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Man..I just got done play Soul caliber IV at my boys house.

The game is amazing.

Back on topic: Blah, let this debate die.

Let's keep the ball rolling guys.

Anymore questions?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Hmmm.

Knowing you Ankoku you have already researched this so plz don't hold back.

What have you discovered?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Marth's tipper range seems to be more at the range of just inside the tipper area, or rather that it requires you to land a tipper on a character's center of gravity now rather than anywhere. I've hit people for tipper hits at a shorter range than I've hit people for non-tippers, and it confuses the hell out of me.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You are indeed correct.

It seems like Marth has to land a tipper on the actual body of the character for the most part.

And it also seems a characters hurtbox does not fully extend to the entire length of that characters limbs which can be annoying when you want to land a tipper.

Also sometimes if you aim to tipper a specific part of the body, often times Marth's sword will actually hit a different part of the body so you won't get a tipper. Like say you want to hit someones head with a tipper but the inside of Marth's sword makes contact with a characters shoulder or something before you can tipper the head and you get a non-tipper instead.

This just reinforces the fact that Marth is about 100% precision at all times.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Texas doesn't have any really good ROB players :(. We do have Roy_R though >_>.
I don't main ROB at all, but when I play him against Marth it seems like such an easy matchup. I've 2 stocked Santi's Marth twice in tournament with ROB and was close to 3 stocking both times. I played RoyR with ROB in friendlies and although I was winning our match got interrupted. I've 3 stocked several mediocre Marths in tournament with ROB, including DMK's friend (AcidJazz?) and fear.

I can't wait for a real national tournament :(

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I don't main ROB at all, but when I play him against Marth it seems like such an easy matchup. I've 2 stocked Santi's Marth twice in tournament with ROB and was close to 3 stocking both times. I played RoyR with ROB in friendlies and although I was winning our match got interrupted. I've 3 stocked several mediocre Marths in tournament with ROB, including DMK's friend (AcidJazz?) and fear.

I can't wait for a real national tournament :(
Lee, I played with AcidJazz and 3 stocked him with like 8 characters. Santi's marth is also horrible. His TL is pretty good though. Fear is so bad that I 2 stocked him with climbers without grabbing him once(I didn't try to).

Those Marths are nothing. Play Roy_R in tournament with ROB.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I will as soon as I get the chance. Haven't been able to go to a tournament in over a month :(

He will succumb to my Ganon
We should carpool to the tournament this sat.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Only two.

Squirtle and Wario. Against Squirtle Marth can do as he pleases. He can do anything to Squirtle. Against Wario Marth has less options, but he can still get tippered F-smashes for easy kills.

This isn't really as threatening for other characters that Marth can grab release. In training mode the hit counter list alot of things Marth can do after releases as true combos, but in reality this is misleading because a human opponent can actually get away before he can do anything. It's the most effective on Squirtle, Wario and MK in that order.

Marth can actually Dolphin Slash MK for a kill, but that's certainly not as good as being able to tipper an f-smash on Squirtle and Wario.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Oh, yeah that's the ground release.

I was talking about the jump release.

Marth can nail tippers on Ness with the ground release. Maybe Lucas too, but I have to go and check.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I think he can grab release combo Meta Knight, Wario, Ness, and Lucas. I wasn't aware of Squirtle, but if EL says it I'll take his word for it.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
I read the info about grab release, but it seems that if they spot-dodge after it, you have to predict it or you won't get any guaranteed hit. Is this true? How would you deal with spot dodges?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I read the info about grab release, but it seems that if they spot-dodge after it, you have to predict it or you won't get any guaranteed hit. Is this true? How would you deal with spot dodges?
You can't spotdodge in the air ;).

Kel

Smash Master
Hmmm.

Knowing you Ankoku you have already researched this so plz don't hold back.

What have you discovered?
If space yourself against an opponent to where you think it should be a tipper and press pause you can see that this reason is because Marth swings in 3D now. Marth's sword swinging animation is misleading because it's more prominent at 45 degrees and cups back in towards Marth past that point. You can use pause during one of these "should have been a tipper" situations to see what I'm talking about with the camera angle.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
One annoying thing about Marth is that he is one of the characters unfortunate enough to retain his up b lag if he used his up b to grab the ledge. So the next time he lands on the ground he will get that up b lag.

It really really really sucks.

Good thing you can get rid of the lag by doing a SHFF aerial. But sometimes you forget all about the lag and it messes you up at crucial times in battle.

Which really really really really sucks.

On a completely unrelated note, I decided to talk about something other then match-ups.

This is a change of pace, but it should spark some discussion.

Marth has a frame trap with his d-tilt. Most moves in this game when they hit the shield, the defender has an advantage. Not so with Marth's d-tilt thanks to the IASA frames. The IASA frame is on frame 21, when Marth draws his arm back.

Ankoku actually did some work in the Marth forums, to look over which moves Marth had that were safe on block, and he calculated how much disadvantage some of Marth's moves gave him on block.

HIT + SHIELDSTUN - SHIELDHITLAG - TOTAL = ADVANTAGE

Here is the data for d-tilt.

TOTAL: 22
HIT: 7
SHIELDSTUN: 12
SHIELDHITLAG: 5
ADVANTAGE: -8
VADVANTAGE: 4

VAdvantage is just virtual advantage meaning that most opponents have normal human reaction time which is 12 frames so when you add 12 frames to -8 you get positive 4. If they expected the attack then they could react almost frame perfectly so then you would still have -8, which is still really good and enough for the frame trap.

The way the trap works is simple. Basically, when you hit someone's shield with a d-tilt when the IASA frames are utilized, Marth can react to almost anything an opponent tries. Why is this? Because to do anything from shield takes more then -8 frames of disadvantage that Marth has from hitting a shield with d-tilt.

Rolling from shield can take 20 frames or more depending on the character, and when they come out of the roll they are vulnerable. Not even Lucario can get out of the trap with a roll. SH from shield would take about 6 frames plus the added frames of doing an aerial in which case Marth has enough time to stuff it with an f-smash or f-tilt or shield and retaliate. Shield drop takes about 4 frames and then to do an attack takes additional frames and again Marth has enough time to shield or stuff your action. Rolling away and SHing away are the best methods of dealing with it. Still, SHing away puts the opponent in a slightly bad position since they are in the air and still somewhat close to Marth. Rolling away is better, but the battle is merely reset to neutral. Still, it's better then getting hit. A spotdodge can be waited out and punished.

Some characters are basically screwed if they get trapped. Samus's roll is too slow and Marth outspeeds her at close range.

Other characters like say MK while still at slight disadvantage, have the tools to get out of the trap.

Marth is not the only character with a frame trap, but his is one of the most effective and it's very easy to set-up. And thanks to his Dancing Blade he has a great move to compliment the trap. When ever an opponent makes a wrong choice Marth has a move that is a great damage racker and all 4 hits will regenerate his other moves.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Synopsis:

Marth has a similar feel to Melee, but almost a completely different flow. His moves are all powerful, especially when tippered, and it seems that Marth has an answer in most situations. Despite this, Marth's poor recovery and lack of range when compared to most of the other characters at tournament level play can often lead to him having to work twice as hard as other high level characters. This puts him at a disadvantage at low level play. However, his strengths are all solid and his weaknesses are fairly shallow, which leads him to being a strong character choice for veteran smashers. With the ability to get absurdly low % KOs with tippered attacks, several attacks and setups out of shield, and his over-b combo attack giving him an easy and safe damage dealer, Marth is not a character to be taken lightly.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Long story short: Just ask Emblem Lord.

All posts after this are general discussion.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
All posts after this are general discussion.
So what weather conditions and specific alignment of the stars play best for Marth? :p

Royal Blue and White Marth for god tier, agreed?

Anyway,

For me as a Marth main, I love to play Marth, he is 95% of my game playing.
However, as EL said he doesn't really have any disadvantages nor advantages.

Let's say I play Marth against someone who's reasonbly good, but let's say not better than me. I will find it extremely hard to ever ever obliterate the opponent, that is 3 stock or similar.
Then let me pick another character, one that I have little experience (compared to Marth) with and what have you, like, Fox or Falco. The skill difference is a lot easier to abuse and makes for generally very quick and easy matches.

Against similar skilled opponents those Fox/Falco usages will get me owned, but when I go back to Marth and win, it's at a similar point of play compared to the lower opponent. That is, no obliteration, just 'keeping up'. :dizzy:

gallax

Smash Hero
you guys started off with such a nice synopsis for each character, yet it seems to be dwindeling more and more. i know there is more that cold have been said.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Emblem Lord! What does it say about Marth's power lev - *gets a tippered F Smash in the face*

Marth may now have an oversized bread knife for a sword but he's still an amazing character. Just about everything of his got better :o He's crazy fast and a crazy comboer. It's a shame they didn't give Marth better recovery...oh wait they did but he's called Meta-Knight :p

So Emblem Lord...who has the advantage over the other? Peach or Marth?

*runs away for dear life*

Shök

Smash Champion
XD

Someone's got guts. :ohwell:

Marth is not as fast as he was in melee, and his combo ability is not as gret as MK's, but he's still a strong all around character and a good char choice.

But He's not that great against Snake, ROB, MK and D3, but those seem 2 be his only BAD matchups.

And I'm not saying he Pwns everyone else.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
XD

Someone's got guts. :ohwell:
Lol was that aimed at me? I'm a 08'er scrub it's not like people care ;) I hope... :embarrass

Marth clearly has advantage over Peach.
*goes into a berserker rage and has a giant discussion that invevitably kills the thread*
Wel if your interested, we've rated the match up 60-40 in Marth's favour :p Looks like you win Emblem

Did Marth's counter get improved? It seems to be better than it was in Melee..

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Marth's counter is much improved.

Does 1.1 times more damage in return and if the attack is weak it will always deal 8%. Does a little less knockback then the attack it countered. Can only kill if it counters a killing blow. Activates on frame 5 so it can be stuffed on frames 1-4. Marth will turn around to attack if he counters anything that hits his back.

He is invincible throughout the counter slash animation.

Counter frames last quite a bit. Maybe around half a second, but that's just a guess. Half a second would be 30 frames so around there.

Marth can counter things that don't have a hitbox like Dedede's suck for example.

HRNUT (Honey Roasted)

Smash Master
There are no Marth's in texas that even compare to Roy_R. You are not playing anyone good Lee.

I played Inui at Fast and almost 3 stocked him with ICs >_>. I can't even take a match from Roy_Rs marth with ICs anymore :(. Most Marths don't compare lol.

Edit:

Marth seems to **** Falco :(.
you didn't play my marth at fast...i think that you should've

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Marth's counter is much improved.

Does 1.1 times more damage in return and if the attack is weak it will always deal 8%. Does a little less knockback then the attack it countered. Can only kill if it counters a killing blow. Activates on frame 5 so it can be stuffed on frames 1-4. Marth will turn around to attack if he counters anything that hits his back.

He is invincible throughout the counter slash animation.

Counter frames last quite a bit. Maybe around half a second, but that's just a guess. Half a second would be 30 frames so around there.

Marth can counter things that don't have a hitbox like Dedede's suck for example.
Sounds very interesting...it's properties are somewhat different to Peach's counter. It can counter DeDeDe's swallow? That's odd considering Toad can't do it...surely it's unwise though due to the fact if DeDeDe keeps using swallow, he'll get you anyway?

And for the killing thing, say Marth is at 300% damage and Snake is at 0% damage. If Marth counters a fully charged F Smash, would it kill Snake or just do the damage/knockback of his fully charged F Smash

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
It would deal a little it more damage then the original damage of the F-smash back to Snake.

The damage isn't dependent on how much damage Marth has.

Ulevo

Smash Master
It should be mentioned that Marth from a grab has a reliable way to give around 30%+ damage half the time from 0% on probably every character in the game from a simple throw. Usually by either using FThrow to FSmash or stuttered FSmash, or DThrow to FSmash. Dancing Blade could also work. For example, DThrow to FSmash on Meta Knight below 7% does a guaranteed 27%. I haven't tested everyone and compiled a list, but I know from experience that I've been able to consistently tipper an FSmash every time at the start of the match. TL, Space Animals, Meta Knight, Snake, you name it.

Also, random timbit, Marth can KO Meta Knight from a Grab Release to sweetspot Dolphin Slash at 133% guaranteed from anywhere on Final Destination.

For other random statistics or other general information, this guide wouldn't be a bad place to look. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=172592

Top Bottom