• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedash - DISCONFIRMED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
what the eff am I supposed to do if I've used up my second jump and am heading down right towards Ike charging up a smash??? momentum airdodge = lose. unless they reduce the lag time on certain recovery moves by a LOT then this is going to force players to go under the stage to use their upB. this limits recovery mindgames so much.

auto L cancels, auto sweetspotting, and now this...
Auto L cancels? I doubt it.

There wont be a serious competitive scene for brawl if L cancelling is removed, not many tournament players are stupid enough to stop playing melee for that.

I highly doubt theyll make L cancelling automatic

theyve already made crouch cancelling autmatic, along with grapple recovery, and neutral jab, so who knows.

This game sucks so bad. It's like its not being designed for multiplayer at all. Yay for the subspace emissary, time wasted on what should have been them seriously thinking about what they were doing to the gameplay, the lifeblood of smash.

Cry more, nobody gives a **** if your life revolves around a game. This is as bad as people believing in the value of e-credentials. Go out.
I don't know who you're talking to (Ill assume me, since you're one of those kewl kids who are cool cuz they insult me and go to 4chan)

But where did I say my life revolved around this game? I just said it was my favorite game, and truthfully I will admit that at least 90 percent of my gaming has been devoted to melee over the past 2 years, but lol I spend so much more time playing music. Go on, make a birthmark joke. I don't care anymore.

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
:) No you don't. Everything Im known for is a lie, the only thing consistent with my reputation is that I hate brawl.

I hate brawl because I love melee. Maybe a little too much but when it comes to melee, I'm about as far from a tourneytard as you can get.

To anyone that still plays melee : I will play you items on, items off, any stage, any character, any setting, but I dislike handicaps for obvious reasons.

I love melee, and it's dying. This makes me extremly sad since melee is hands down my favorite game, and I expressed my sadness in anger (10 months ago now, and counting. What a memory you guys have!) which was a mistake.

As for wavedashing, lol I used to care but I don't anymore. Brawl will just suck even more without it but even wavedashing cant save it.

Brawl's tournament scene will replace melee's. This is why brawl sucks to me.

Wavedashing? Who cares. My favorite game is being destroyed.

Can you beat mew2king? That's why. 98% of the smash training has many many many more years of training to go before they are actually even scratching the surface of melee's TRUE potential.

I've been working at it for two years, and Im still probably only playing 75 perecent of the true game.
hey Dylan, good to see ya back...you hate brawl for the same reason i used to hate melee back when ssb64 was king. In time, you'll love brawl too. just wait itll grow on ya

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
NO WD! Smash is ruined forever, no one should buy it. If you can't abuse a physics engine then the whole game is teh suck. Everyone should boycot the game because the game is only for Johns, scrubs, and noobs now. What a crappy game, I can't believe how bad it's going to be now. At least there's still edgehogging, I can still be cheesy and call myself a pro, but what's the point, my life is over without wavedash. Sakurai should just cancel the whole project, he's a jerk. waaaaaaaah.
I compeletely agree. While we are at it, we also should get rid of the 4 player option and items because I and some other like minded people don't like to play that way and so no one should play that way. I think this game should be reduced to a single button since that would make everything fair and there is no way there could be exploits in the engine.

<_____________________________________________________________<

I am definitely going on random matches online now.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Can you beat mew2king? That's why. 98% of the smash training has many many many more years of training to go before they are actually even scratching the surface of melee's TRUE potential.

I've been working at it for two years, and Im still probably only playing 75 perecent of the true game.
Who's stopping you from playing Melee? You can play Melee for the next 20 years for all anyone else cares. We'll be playing Brawl.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I can see the hatred in this thread. If wavedashing's gone, I'll just find another way to beat the anti-wavedashers.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Look, wavedashing or no wavedashing, can't we all just get along? The only thing that really matters right now is CF BETTER BE IN BRAWL or else I'm going to punt a baby. I mean, brawl just won't be fun for me, because my friend won't be able to falcon punch, stomp, and knee people, and we get so much joy out of that.

But back to the topic at hand. IMO anything that is added/removed to the game to prevent imbalance (compare competitive smash to competitive melee and you'll see what i mean) makes the game better, and anything added/removed to make the game easier (like homing edge grapple and not being able to roll off the edge) makes for a worse game. This is by competitive standards of course, and I am competitive. But if you have a frontal lobe, then you'll learn after the first 20 suicides that you shouldn't roll off the edge, and if you don't, then you should stop playing video games and go to school for once in your life. Ergo a competitive game will likely be fun for the casual gamer. Since Smash is already fun for the casual gamer AND the competitive gamer, they should work to make the competitive aspects work better. And making things easier ruins that.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Who's stopping you from playing Melee? You can play Melee for the next 20 years for all anyone else cares. We'll be playing Brawl.
How thick are you? If no one's competing in melee, then how the **** am I supposed to play it?

Obviously Im going to still play it with demon_machine and his sister. They're all I have left. I guess the metagame for melee will shrink down to 3 people, and I'll become the best in the world and anyone whos up for it can challenge me to a money match. And Ill likely win because of what brawl is gonna do to your smash skill.

Anyhow, im done sounding arrogant. Like I said, the COMPETITIVE SCENE for melee is DEAD. Im mourning the death of my favorite game.

RIP melee. I hardly knew ye before you were ripped from my hands just as I was starting to realize the true depths of your awesome potential after playing for over 3 years, 2 of them playing for real.

I will miss you.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Look, wavedashing or no wavedashing, can't we all just get along? The only thing that really matters right now is CF BETTER BE IN BRAWL or else I'm going to punt a baby. I mean, brawl just won't be fun for me, because my friend won't be able to falcon punch, stomp, and knee people, and we get so much joy out of that.
QFT.

CF doesn't need the sissy wavedash. He just knees people in the face.

Edit: MM Dylan? :p

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Cry more, nobody gives a **** if your life revolves around a game. This is as bad as people believing in the value of e-credentials. Go out.
Go get shot. Seriously. That is the lamest point you could possibly make, and you need to go shoot yourself in the face to prevent your stupidity from spreading like a virus.

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
without wavedashing it just wont be smash MELEE.
fixed it for ya.

SSB64 was fine and competitive without it...

you guys will get used to brawl and like it one way or another.

Dylan, just let out all you're anger now, in time you'll like brawl.

It took me a while to except melee, but now i like it almost as much as ssb64

hojiky

Smash Cadet
How thick are you? If no one's competing in melee, then how the **** am I supposed to play it?

Obviously Im going to still play it with demon_machine and his sister. They're all I have left. I guess the metagame for melee will shrink down to 3 people, and I'll become the best in the world and anyone whos up for it can challenge me to a money match. And Ill likely win because of what brawl is gonna do to your smash skill.
to our "smash" skill? brawl = smash. melee is not the be-all end-all of smash. it's just melee.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Man 4p items are like teh ownage and make the game more fairer and add more migranes. falcon is mad def not second in hyrule item tier list cuz its all even.

bastula

Smash Apprentice
NNID
secretanchitman
3DS FC
0130-1885-4238
Switch FC
SW-2373-3239-8999
cmon guys. seriously...its just a video game. sakurai cant be doing EVERYTHING you guys want (and it shows). if wavedashing is in, great. be happy. if it isnt, stop complaining and play the game without it, like most of the smash players out there.

wavedashing will NOT make/break the game. im telling you this right now.

Sandwich

Smash Ace
Besides. It's going to be awhile before Brawl warms up for competitive play.
I'm hoping for FFAs to become a bonafide tournament section, though.
But that's beside the point. After Brawl, it's going to go Halo 2. Still played like hell. Don't believe me? Look at MLG. They won't possibly be playing H3 till like, next year if my statistics are right.
There's plenty of time to Melee nubs, Dylan.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Man 4p items are like teh ownage and make the game more fairer and add more migranes. falcon is mad def not second in hyrule item tier list cuz its all even.
You can't use mindgames!! They're not in the instruction manual. It's a glitch! :laugh: (Thanks, NES n00b) But seriously, I'm going to wait for tomorrow.

NES n00b

Smash Master
wavedashing will NOT make/break the game. im telling you this right now.
No, but what I am really worried about is the new dodge system. Maybe I don't like change, but I just don't like how the mechanic SEEMS to work.

I also hate the amount of people that want it removed for all the wrong reasons.

Edit: No Melee. It is dead. People are waiting for Brawl. <_<

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
:) No you don't. Everything Im known for is a lie, the only thing consistent with my reputation is that I hate brawl.

I hate brawl because I love melee. Maybe a little too much but when it comes to melee, I'm about as far from a tourneytard as you can get.

To anyone that still plays melee : I will play you items on, items off, any stage, any character, any setting, but I dislike handicaps for obvious reasons.

I love melee, and it's dying. This makes me extremly sad since melee is hands down my favorite game, and I expressed my sadness in anger (10 months ago now, and counting. What a memory you guys have!) which was a mistake.

As for wavedashing, lol I used to care but I don't anymore. Brawl will just suck even more without it but even wavedashing cant save it.

Brawl's tournament scene will replace melee's. This is why brawl sucks to me.

Wavedashing? Who cares. My favorite game is being destroyed.
That's a rather stupid viewpoint. The game hasn't even come out yet. You have no proof on ANY of your statements.

It's even more stupid to think that melee is being "destroyed" it's being upgraded into a new version. I hate the noob friendliness as well, but it's still a ******** viewpoint to think that a new version of a game "DESTROYS" the old one.

In the case of the upgrade from the original to melee it received drastic engine upgrades from the original. Brawl is in turn receiving similar upgrades and more content, allowing it to become a much better version of melee, that shall in turn replace it as melee replaced the original.

Would you play the original now that the vastly upgraded melee is out? NO! It doesn't compare! There's still the oddball who continues to play either because they liked it better or they were incapable of upgrading, but overall, nobody plays the original game anymore.

It's like upgrading from internet explorer to Firefox. Would you actually go back to using internet explorer after experiencing Firefox, except when you're forced to?

BDAOutlaw

Smash Apprentice
It's pretty mug that wave dashing isn't in brawl and that its been noobed up so that people don't have to work so hard to do advance techs like L Cancel or ledge hog. I might just main CF since I enjoy the speed, or even marth. Missile Canceling has probably been taken out also so :p Samus will have to step down. But maybe I'm jumping to conclusions to fast.......................................................................

NevaMind I'll wait till the game comes out then decide or decide when I see how WICKED looking CF is in brawl.

Stak

Smash Cadet
The way I see it, Brawl isn't Melee 2, it's Smash 3

Does it really matter whether or not you can still use a physics exploit

No, because there will be new strategies and techniques to form

Well that and it's going to be great fun, from the looks of it

Sandwich

Smash Ace
It's like upgrading from internet explorer to Firefox. Would you actually go back to using internet explorer after experiencing Firefox, except when you're forced to?
Stop mocking me for using AOL.

User33

Smash Journeyman
*Dies of laughter at how pathetic the pro-wavedashers are*

You won't buy this game, and hate it because you can't abuse the physics of a game? I think you people need to get out of your parent's basement and do something productive, rather then cry about something that really, nobody cares about

BentoBox

Smash Master
Auto L cancels? I doubt it.

There wont be a serious competitive scene for brawl if L cancelling is removed, not many tournament players are stupid enough to stop playing melee for that.

I highly doubt theyll make L cancelling automatic

theyve already made crouch cancelling autmatic, along with grapple recovery, and neutral jab, so who knows.

This game sucks so bad. It's like its not being designed for multiplayer at all. Yay for the subspace emissary, time wasted on what should have been them seriously thinking about what they were doing to the gameplay, the lifeblood of smash.

I don't know who you're talking to (Ill assume me, since you're one of those kewl kids who are cool cuz they insult me and go to 4chan)

But where did I say my life revolved around this game? I just said it was my favorite game, and truthfully I will admit that at least 90 percent of my gaming has been devoted to melee over the past 2 years, but lol I spend so much more time playing music. Go on, make a birthmark joke. I don't care anymore.
Do you even read what you post? You are so self-conceited. You're the one bashing on a game and crying over forums because time you've spent mastering a game is going to waste. Cry me a ****ing river. What were you expecting in the first place from devoting yourself to that point?

Because self-quotes are awesome:
People are so quick at dismissing all the new possibilities that will come along with the new and improved physics and keep looking at it as if all the devs ever did was remove elements from Melee without ever adding anything. Such a mindset is sad to witness. They removed directional airdodging; they've improved aerial combat in ways already explained and acknowledged by all, and people are STILL whining about how they screwed things up and removed depth from the game? Please do explain.
Sorry if Brawl isn't going to be a Melee2.0. That would defeat the whole purpose of designing a new game in the first place. It seems like you can't, nor are willing to adapt to any changes so no matter how you look at it, you lose.

But sure, don't buy the game, we don't care.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
to our "smash" skill? brawl = smash. melee is not the be-all end-all of smash. it's just melee.
Yeah but melee requires you to like... PRESS BUTTONS to do things. Brawl decided that things like holding down, pressing L, and airdoding before hookshot recovery were all too difficult for the delicate smash players.

Streetfighter is like 30x more technical and button precision requiring than smash, it gets left alone. A bunch of scrubs complain because they lose, blame it on techniques, and they get removed because nintendo knows where the money is my friend, and it's not in people who actually know how to play this game, ie : could beat you every match, and probably still will in brawl. Its the casuals. Melee sold over 6 million copies, and probably only 100 000 of them or less to real players.

Whatever, see if im right when the game comes out. I predicted all this 10 months ago, that brawl would be a watered down ****ty version of melee gameplay wise, with all the bells whistles, and extra characters and stickers that please people who buy games for reasons other than gameplay.

Called, your friends.

Or do you not have any?
Yay, 3 person smash tournament!

Oh wait. that's not 100 people at all, nor are my friends the best players in canada. You fail.

Would you play the original now that the vastly upgraded melee is out? NO! It doesn't compare! There's still the oddball who continues to play either because they liked it better or they were incapable of upgrading, but overall, nobody plays the original game anymore.
See what I mean about the brawl forums everyone?

You dont KNOW ANYTHING. HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE STILL PLAY SMASH 64, EVERY DAY, ITS ONLINE, THERE ARE STILL TOURNAMENTS.

And how dare you call melee a vast upgrade to 64, they're entirely different games and both worthy of the devotion it takes to become the best.

personally, I still play smash 64, infact due to online, I sometimes play more smash 64 than melee.

Im being forced to quit melee anyway, no one to fight against so why even bother.

Sandwich

Smash Ace

QFT.

Evilagram said:
Called, your friends.

Or do you not have any?
Of course. Everyone has them.
-CoughcoughKencoughcough-

NES n00b

Smash Master

If you simplify the game, the less chance for depth and less chance of new strats/techniques.

I am not saying there won't be thing found. It just has a less likely chance of having more depth as Melee if everything is simplified.

Edit: WTF? I am buying the game. I am just don't get why everyone is like "it is better to remove stuff and accuse people of cryingz about depth being stripped without much reasoning."

Tingle_Stole_My_Pants

Smash Apprentice
So it's gone. And? I always complained about how overrated it was. If one little trick already has so many people bemoaning about 'going back to casual' and 'how will the pros play now', you obviously don't know what it really means to be the best. WDing never was a neccessity, it was just another tactic. If somebody can't be a pro player without one skill, then there is something wrong here...

I don't see how this game is going to be 'kiddy' because Mr. Sakurai is stressing ease of use this time around. Do all up-B's aim for the ledge? I thought it was only the Tether Recoveries. Either way, how's that going to make this game too n00b friendly? The way I see it, I can focus more time and energy to working on my combo game and figureing out the new techniques instead of worrying so much about getting back to the stage all the time. You know, as in "only the best can string together a 0-82% death combo with 6 hits in the heat of battle using Ike." That's not a good thing?

Either way, let's just wait to see what time brings before getting all upset. Maybe it's gone, and maybe not. Maybe keeping it would be the better choice, and maybe dropping WD will juggle the playing field around a little bit and make SSB Brawl an all-new experience.

I wonder if Mr. Sakurai would enjoy watching how everyone adapts to the new environment of Brawl?

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Serious question here... for the people that dislike Wavedashing so much and all that.

I play in tournies and such, but i'm in no way against having fun in the game, the best times i've had are in free-for-alls on giant melee with 2.0 damage ratio with some of the best on the east coast, it was outta control.

Anyways

If you can't wavedash.. and you don't play with people that wavedash and/or play competitively... which many people in the brawl forums have admitted

Why do people so badly want it removed?

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
When did dylan ever say he was good at melee? Thats the whole point, both me and him JUST got good, as in good enough to COMPETE without being 4 stocked every match by the power ranking dudes.

We put two years into melee, and for what now? No more tournaments ever. Excuse me if that pisses the living **** out of me, im suprised Im among the only ones that are pissed about this.
Do you think maybe you might be wrong? So you put two years into it and are now you think you're good, who's fault is it for coming so late into the tournament scene, Nintendo? No. You're just mad because you piddle away two years of your life for a tournament scene that will start to show a decline. And if you are not that good you (and Dylan) need to drop the scrub comment because then you're on par with any scrub I know.

And incase you haven't notice, brawl even if hypothetically it has wavedashing, itd still ****ing suck.

LOOK AT IT. just LOOK at brawl. Tell me its not a simplified, wii'd out, nubbed out ****tier version of melee with 50x the flash and 50 times less gameplay.
Hello? Anybody in there, that is what Smash has ALWAYS been about. It is a simplified fighting game, get that through your thick skull. Yes it looks nice, but until you actually play the game and played it long enough to determine its competitiveness, please do us all a big favor and shut the **** up.

Automatic this, automatic that, gliding, moves that leave behind recovery items and springs, zamus is a ****ing item, and who the hell knows whether or not the smash ball can be turned on or off, or if it even will be in tournaments.
Oh noez!!!1! You'll have to adapt to new game play techniques, what a revelation.

Melee is dead, but I'll keep playing it with the only 2 people I have left to play it with. I step out of the competitive smash scene and into the casual scene, and it bothers me. But at the root of it all, at least I'm still going to have someone to play my FAVORITE game with, and not some watered down **** imitation that has you all brainwashed.
Go ahead, but stop throwing a ***** fit when very few care.

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
I hate you. :)
:(

I herd you liek musics.
Mm I luv them :)

I don't think Melee will die as fast as you think. Maybe in a couple of years. But if it dies before its time, then count me in the group of people that will still play it for a looooong time.

And maybe in some years a really smart guy will think of an effective way to play Melee online. Then it will live forevar. One can dream mirite?

I don't hate Brawl tho. I'm really excited for this game. I don't really think Sakurai is stupid enough to destroy Brawl's competitive potential. I have faith.

And last, but not least, a kitty smokin teh weed:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Lol @ anyone who has the same opinions on the wavedash that I had 8 months ago. I've long since realised its not really that important.

its a great technique, IF, its out (nothing confirmed yet, remember) than thats a shame because it didnt hurt noobs, and it was such an amazing way to speed up the game for people who put their time into learning the true depth of the game.

The problem is, most of you don't understand melee. You don't understand how complicated smash is, because you've never gotten into the mindset of wanting to become the BEST, and competing with the best makes you realize just how complicated a seemingly simple game is.

You people are too ignorant. I cant take it, and I wont discuss anything with a bunch of dimwitted fools. I am leaving the brawl section for good.

I need this account for a few more weeks since I have my (last) tournament coming up on saturday and ill wanna post in the results thread. So mic if you were thinking of banning me over nothing, please don't. IP ban me in 3 weeks for all I care, smash is dead.

Good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom