• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Watch Every Move In Smash 4 Perfect Pivoted

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
What do you mean duh? How does that have anything to do with whether Smash 4's perfect pivot is faster/further or not? Nothing.

Also this was in Smash 64. If that's what you mean by "Brawl was the creator".
Yes, you're right my apologizes, forgot about 64 technique the father of it all. <3

My point is 64 and just like Brawl didn't need techniques like this to make the game look entertaining. That was all I meant. Now many want to learn about this technique.

Took me a while to master Perfect pivot but it was worth it for style points. Now Smash-4, it's needed in-order to 'try' to keep up with the rest of the franchise series, Super Smash Brothers (SSB).

Last edited:

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
To all those asking about "why" this is getting popular... although this was in every Smash, it's now becoming far more useful because of the lack of movement options in Smash4 and because Smash4 has the offensive potential but lacked a faster movement option and spacing tool. THAT'S why it's big right now. Use your brains, now.

And ZAW Dancing? For real? Why not call it Pivot Dancing or something. That's just some hardcore ego-speak.

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
Is it a Wii U Pro controller by any chance? So far from my understanding and experimenting it's almost impossible to do perfect pivots with either the Pro Controller/Gamepad or 3DS unless you're in training mode and have speed set to 1/2.
The 2 controllers you have just listed make it easier than any other controller because the radius of the pad/stick is so small. I can do it on both without practice. Not consistently but it is doable. I am questioning his ability to do this though. I mean come on, 2 1 frame inputs and returning to neutral to go back into 2 1 frame inputs without error?
There are only a few characters that really get mileage out of this anyway Fox, Falco, Marth, and Shulk

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
The 2 controllers you have just listed make it easier than any other controller because the radius of the pad/stick is so small. I can do it on both without practice. Not consistently but it is doable. I am questioning his ability to do this though. I mean come on, 2 1 frame inputs and returning to neutral to go back into 2 1 frame inputs without error?
There are only a few characters that really get mileage out of this anyway Fox, Falco, Marth, and Shulk
That's good at least, I was afraid it'd play into how well my mains do and that like Wavedashing without it I wouldn't have much hope in the competitive scene.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Interesting... But it really shows how minor the whole thing is overall. This really effects like seven characters to a significant degree from what I've seen. It's just a whole lot of effort for not much. And it buffs Diddy, AND it at large is a defensive option. The only reason people are applauding the thing is because "defense movement option" and "tech."

Also, just call the whole thing backstepping for christ's sake.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I can't see this advancing metagame too much.

You don't need to perfect pivot for forward tilts. The inputs are a little extreme to use in fast-paced competitive play I'd think.

JB IV

Smash Cadet
Perfect pivoting is kinda long with 5 syllables. I'd hate for commentators to shorten it to PP. I already get weird looks when randoms overhear the commentary hype on a PPMD match when the commentators leave off the MD.

Jinx129

Smash Ace
NNID
Jinx129
3DS FC
3368-3418-9942
I don't get it. You need to use the c-stick for both directional inputs? If so, having it set to attack doesn't pull out a dash for me! Can someone clarify which stick is used for what here? Thanks!

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Bowsers U-tilt, d-tilt, usmash, dsmash, grab, taunts, and side-special all carry momentum. jab does not

only1Z

Smash Champion
Perfect Pivot is short, sweet, and to the point. The name doesnt need to be a disclaimer for how moves work with it, and it doesnt have to advertise its applications either. It describes what it is, and the fact that it is a perfect pivot means that Perfect Pivot is a fine name

Plus this has been in since 64, and if I'm not mistaken, it's been known by the same name too. Why is this just now becoming a big thing?
This was really strong in Ganondorfs neutral game for SSBM since it sped him up from running away and his jab interrupted a lot of moves that would be incoming.

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
No one will call this Zaw dancing named after yourself lol. Its just framperfect pivoting, and boost pivoting.

HyruleSmasher

Smash Cadet
:idea:Im buy a new 3ds for smash is it possible to use perfect pivoting with the hand-held console version????:4link::4zelda:

Last edited:

DashBlue

Smash Rookie
I disagree on the name "Zaw Dashing"
I actually don't even like the name "Perfect Pivot" either..
Can we just call it Quickstep? This tech looks like you're dancing, plus we already have Foxtrot, so it fits nicely. In dancing, Quickstep looks like you're gliding on the ground, I feel this name is more appropriate.

Fancy

Smash Cadet
NNID
FancyChicken
I disagree on the name "Zaw Dashing"
I actually don't even like the name "Perfect Pivot" either..
Can we just call it Quickstep? This tech looks like you're dancing, plus we already have Foxtrot, so it fits nicely. In dancing, Quickstep looks like you're gliding on the ground, I feel this name is more appropriate.
Perfect Pivoting is the most appropriate name for it, since that is exactly what it is. However Zaw Dashing is a horrible name, and doesn't really deserve a different name than Perfect Pivoting IMO.

dbwithlemon

Smash Apprentice
Maybe I'm missing something, but why does this require the C-stick to be set to attack? The controller input doesn't use the C-Stick, just the regular stick.

cpulord

Smash Rookie
Perfect Pivot is short, sweet, and to the point. The name doesnt need to be a disclaimer for how moves work with it, and it doesnt have to advertise its applications either. It describes what it is, and the fact that it is a perfect pivot means that Perfect Pivot is a fine name

Plus this has been in since 64, and if I'm not mistaken, it's been known by the same name too. Why is this just now becoming a big thing?
if it doesnt have to be anything then i think we should call it james4dlc yeeah its more fitting isnt it

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Just call it a wavedash. This is closer to wavedashing as it appeared in Tekken and MvC3 than what was happening in Melee.

Zaw Dashing? What is this, the first few months of Brawl?

Hiino

Smash Rookie
Maybe I'm missing something, but why does this require the C-stick to be set to attack? The controller input doesn't use the C-Stick, just the regular stick.
Izaw uses the C-stick (set on attack) to input tilts, because it is easier than having to input three different directions on the directional stick in the span of a few frames

R.O.B. the Red Rocket

Smash Rookie
NNID
thealmightygrunt
3DS FC
4227-3377-8582
If anyone is wondering why they are unable to do perfect pivoting at all, it may be your controller. The controller I primarily play on is physically impossible to execute PPs, I know this because I was able to easily PP on a different controller.
it requires timing, it might not be the controller

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
The reason why dash-dancing and perfect pivoting are very similar is because they're executed nearly the same way. The main difference is that you immediately return the control stick to the neutral position when you change direction in order to perform a perfect pivot.
I think the effect of something matters more than the execution when determining similarities. Are a sniper rifle and pistol similar because they use the same trigger, or a pistol or revolver the similar because they have the same effect? Pick one.

Also i guarantee that Sakurai will patch this out anyways, because he wants a smaller gap between pros and starters, and this is pretty much Wavedashing 0.9.

Last edited:

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman

Because people want to cling so badly to the idea that "This is a competitive game!" that they'll find anything that looks neat and call it an "advanced tech". The truth is that the game isn't that technical and Smash will never again have the same depth to its play like in Melee.
People have the need to take Sm4sh seriously instead of taking it for what it is: just a diversion meant to have fun.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Because people want to cling so badly to the idea that "This is a competitive game!" that they'll find anything that looks neat and call it an "advanced tech". The truth is that the game isn't that technical and Smash will never again have the same depth to its play like in Melee.
People have the need to take Sm4sh seriously instead of taking it for what it is: just a diversion meant to have fun.
I really really hate this mentality.

Anything is competitive so long as there are people willing to compete for it.

Whether or not you like the game is up to you, but there is no need to bash it or make claims as to what "it is"/"What it was meant to be".

Last edited:

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
Maybe they do because they like the game, and feel it is worth playing competitively, even if it doesn't have the "technical depth" Melee had.

I am getting tired of crap like this showing up all over the place where people denounce this game's competitive nature just because it's not like Melee. Smash 4 will always be a more defensive game, and people can take that as seriously as they like because they enjoy the game, and people clearly enjoy watching it. There's nothing wrong with embracing it's differences and seeing value in them.

Instead of coming to Smash 4 based threads to give us your evangelist gospel, stay on the Melee side of the street if you have nothing to actually contribute outside of baseless conjecture, because all you're doing is increasing the divide between Smash 4 and Melee players and making Melee's fanbase look like a bunch of toff nosed snobs from the exclusive club down the street.

Last edited:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I prefer the term be called Pivot-Dash simply because it's 3 syllables and rolls off the tongue better.

Nix

Smash Rookie
If this tech gets utilized fully it might just help in Marth's mindgames/spacing game greatly. And since he has a tipper range it can be really useful.

Although I'd love to see someon do it with a different button maybe like Z. It seems harder tho, maybe even impossible.

♥ Rd0Lg ♥

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rider0fLightning
3DS FC
0989-1743-4601
Zaw Dancing? It's a perfect pivot. Just like wavedashes, perfect pivots can be sloppy, but will still have a similar effect.

Top Bottom