• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Watch Every Move In Smash 4 Perfect Pivoted

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Perfect Pivoting has been an exciting topic in Smash 4 recently. As a movement technique, it may be very useful, but most players aren't comfortable doing it yet and aren't really sure the best way to put it to use. European Smasher Izaw has put out a video giving some examples of its applications. It also shows what each move in the game looks like attacking out of the perfect pivot's slide.

For some reason, not all moves retain momentum when used, so some tilts and smashes hold momentum while others do not. This video shows every jab and tilt, as well as other moves that gain special properties out of this technique.

What do you think? What better name for this technique can you come up with? Do you think this technique will be adopted by players? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

Really? Zaw dancing? Chat with me on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Why does Lucina go farther than Marth...

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Technique is a bit overrated, but it will change the metagame by about 10%, which is actually a lot.

Last edited:

paxinchristo

Smash Ace
Better name?

The best one that I've thought up so far is Pivot Dashing. It's similar to Wave Dashing, so there's that as well as the fact that this technique involves a dash + a very fast pivot. Makes the most sense to me.

I'm going to be sad if someone replies to this and says Pivot Dashing is already taken...

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
Is this AT going to make this game become similar to Melee standards now that this becomes wave dashing in Sm4sh?

alonecuzzo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2509-2422-6131
pretty cool... i like how you broke it down frame by frame

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Is this AT going to make this game become similar to Melee standards now that this becomes wave dashing in Sm4sh?
We have to see it better utilized first. All we can do now is tune in to S@X weekly to see how its used.

Inb4 Japan already mastered this and USA gets rekt at Apex.

Kyle B

Smash Cadet
Zaw dancing sounds weird....why that name I wonder?
Maybe SPPT (sliding perfect pivot turnaround) but I know it does not always slide so idk...

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Can we just call it anything but Zaw dancing? This "tech" doesn't constitute an ego stroke.

:093:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Can we just call it anything but Zaw dancing? This "tech" doesn't constitute an ego stroke.

:093:
How about Pivot Dancing? Simple and makes up for those attacks that slide and don't slide.

Last edited:
Perfect Pivot is short, sweet, and to the point. The name doesnt need to be a disclaimer for how moves work with it, and it doesnt have to advertise its applications either. It describes what it is, and the fact that it is a perfect pivot means that Perfect Pivot is a fine name

Plus this has been in since 64, and if I'm not mistaken, it's been known by the same name too. Why is this just now becoming a big thing?

Last edited:

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
Perfect Pivot is short, sweet, and to the point. The name doesnt need to be a disclaimer for how moves work with it, and it doesnt have to advertise its applications either. It describes what it is, and the fact that it is a perfect pivot means that Perfect Pivot is a fine name

Plus this has been in since 64, and if I'm not mistaken, it's been known by the same name too. Why is this just now becoming a big thing?
Probably because to newer players it is a new tech, and this has it's uses in advancing the competitive play I would guess.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530

Hype is weird like that.

But in reality, there were always just better options. Or...in Brawl's case, tripping.

I like the video, though I'm not sure where Zaw Dancing came from...

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord

Because if I'm not mistaken it didn't let you move this far and fast. Same with Brawl.

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Because if I'm not mistaken it didn't let you move this far and fast. Same with Brawl.
Brawl was the creator for this technique, duh.

And it had ACTUAL string combos that didn't need a tedious technique to keep the game look somewhat, okay. But, no.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Super excited after seeing :4diddy: doing :diddy: combos with bananas!! Hope to see this technique evolve!

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I don't understand the slightly apathetic attitude towards this. This is great for mindgames, spacing, and approaches, along with giving SSB4 a tech to add depth to the game.

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
Because she's faster.

-------------------

I have a feeling this technique has a high probability of being patched out in the future. It seems like one of those things that directly counters how Sakurai wanted there to not be giant gaps between more experienced players and novice players, especially since it's basically the new Wavedashing.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Because she's faster.

-------------------

I have a feeling this technique has a high probability of being patched out in the future. It seems like one of those things that directly counters how Sakurai wanted there to not be giant gaps between more experienced players and novice players, especially since it's basically the new Wavedashing.
How is she faster?

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
As far as I know the distance each character travels by Perfect Pivoting depends on how long their initial dash animation is.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
How the hell does he perfect pivot>turn around so consistently?

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Brawl was the creator for this technique, duh.

And it had ACTUAL string combos that didn't need a tedious technique to keep the game look somewhat, okay. But, no.
What do you mean duh? How does that have anything to do with whether Smash 4's perfect pivot is faster/further or not? Nothing.

Also this was in Smash 64. If that's what you mean by "Brawl was the creator".

Last edited:

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
If anyone is wondering why they are unable to do perfect pivoting at all, it may be your controller. The controller I primarily play on is physically impossible to execute PPs, I know this because I was able to easily PP on a different controller.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Perfect pivoting is more similar to dash-dancing than it is to wavedashing.

Last edited:

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
If anyone is wondering why they are unable to do perfect pivoting at all, it may be your controller. The controller I primarily play on is physically impossible to execute PPs, I know this because I was able to easily PP on a different controller.
Is it a Wii U Pro controller by any chance? So far from my understanding and experimenting it's almost impossible to do perfect pivots with either the Pro Controller/Gamepad or 3DS unless you're in training mode and have speed set to 1/2.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Perfect pivoting is more similar to dash-dancing than it is to wavedashing.
Not really, dash dancing doesn't give you a slide in either Melee nor Brawl. Also, dash dancing puts you into a dashing stance for much of the movement.

Wavedashing and perfect pivoting both allow you to perform any move (after a very brief pause) in a standing stance while sliding.

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
Is it a Wii U Pro controller by any chance? So far from my understanding and experimenting it's almost impossible to do perfect pivots with either the Pro Controller/Gamepad or 3DS unless you're in training mode and have speed set to 1/2.
Nope, the impossible controller was my old Gamecube controller. I was easily able to do it on my Pro Controller and Gamepad.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Not really, dash dancing doesn't give you a slide in either Melee nor Brawl. Also, dash dancing puts you into a dashing stance for much of the movement.

Wavedashing and perfect pivoting both allow you to perform any move (after a very brief pause) in a standing stance while sliding.
The reason why dash-dancing and perfect pivoting are very similar is because they're executed nearly the same way. The main difference is that you immediately return the control stick to the neutral position when you change direction in order to perform a perfect pivot.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Does anyone know if this works in Smash 3DS?
This actually does work in the 3DS version, as I'm doing it right now and performing Smash Attacks with perfect pivoting. The video about it not being able to use Smashes and Tilts in the 3DS version was a complete fallacy, as I can do it perfectly well.

EDIT: Works with F-Smash, F-Tilt, Dash and Up Smash so far.

Last edited:

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Why are people calling this the new wavedash? Pivoting was pioneered in smash 64, and this is nothing new.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Actually, now that I see it...you don't need to perfect pivot for the Forward Smash or Forward Tilt. You can just simply turn without it. Everything Perfect Pivoting can do anyone can do with Dash Dancing or simply dashing and turning.

It's not that tough.
And this is far from the new wavedash. It's a simple foxtrot > turn, so it's nothing new, okay?

Top Bottom