• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Anyone have tips against Rosalina? She's by far the worst match up for me.

It's not uncommon for me to two stock someone's characters in For Glory until they pick Rosalina and it gets stupid close. Everything she does is so safe (AND THAT ROLL) and Luma ruins my camping. :<

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman

It's not uncommon for me to two stock someone's characters in For Glory until they pick Rosalina and it gets stupid close. Everything she does is so safe (AND THAT ROLL) and Luma ruins my camping. :<
Ya she's a pretty bad MU, and what's worse is that she can grab release you into her ko moves (uair, usmash). But there ARE things you can do.

Unlike most characters, Wario can consistently throw Rosalina without getting punished by her Luma since his back throw has a hitbox. Not only that, hitting the Luma with the backthrow often kills it. When Rosalina has no Luma, she is total bite bait since her body is so big. She's also incredibly light, so upsmash and waft kill very early against her, and since they hit both sides they have a better shot at punishing her stupid roles.

Best way to approach is to bike jump at her. A lot of Rosalina's like to punish Wario as he rides towards him and tend to attack the bike even when he's not on it, use that as an opening. Pivot ftilt is a good spacing tool too, and fair is probably the best aerial you can use to keep her out.

It's still a rough match up, but there are things Wario has on her as well.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Isn't the bike enough to recover? I never really SD'd trying to gimp.
I get enough from the Bike horizontally, but when I go super low for KO's I sometimes come up short. I still haven't tested that higher vertical recovery so it might not end up being worth it.

Hyper

Smash Apprentice
The bite has lower start-up and ending lag, but the hitbox on it is smaller and has less priority.

It can't even stop attacks with little disjoint like Sonic's Spin Dash reliably anymore, which is pretty depressing.
Are you sure about the Spindash? my friend mains Sonic and I haven't lost to Spindash with bite yet.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yeah I know I faced a Sonic and biting the spin dash wasn't difficult.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
It can stop the spin dash, but I've also seen it clash with it due to the lack of grab armor, meaning Wario will get hit and do the grab release animation instead of biting Sonic.

What I'd really love to know is whether or not it can stop Pit/Dark Pit's side B, because I'm getting really sick of people spamming that move online. It's difficult to punish if there's any input lag, and you can't hit them out of it due to the super armor.

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Hey Guys, I found out a few things about Wario wich I wanna share. Apologies if these were already mentioned elsewhere.

The bite prioritizes items over players, causing it to eat items first if the opponent is standing really close to them. This also affects Wario's bike, so beware.

Speaking of eating bikes, you can smash the bike and try to gobble up some pf the parts for 1-3 points of healing, max. Not very useful, but interesting.

This game also gives visual cues for regaining your bike (a small yellow flash) and for a fully charged waft (bigger and brighter flash followed by brown flashing).
The bioeflash can be misleading however. Using the bike as recovery and grabbing the ledge will cause the flash to appear, the bike becomes available only after touching the ground again.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion

She pretty much has no bad matchups from what I've seen. For Wario, I've had success by playing defensively and grabbing a lot. Not nearly as fast or fun, but it's necessary for survival.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Is it me or does Wario's dair have a spike property?

It's so weird. I actually managed to spike people with it, but only if the first hit is the only one that connects. Also happens when it trades, the other gets spiked from the first hit of it.

EDIT: Or a semi-spike idk

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
It does have a really weak spike on it.

I kind of wish they gave the Wario Waft a sweetspot directly under Wario that meteor smashes so he could have a true meteor smash.

Cheers

Smash Apprentice
The best use of the Wario Waft I've seen in ages.
LOL. I was actually wondering what causes wario to move like that. Is it due to the bike or is it something else? I SD'd a couple times because of it haha.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Just hold up after Wario gets hit by something and watch him casually defy the laws of physics.

I really need to get used to abusing that while it's around...

EDIT: Apparently, you don't need to be holding straight up to do this. Basically, any directional input that's even slightly upward will make Wario fly in the direction you hold, which means you have a lot more control over the glitch then I was initially thinking.

It also can be used in conjunction with normal directional influence as well. You only need be holding in a direction as Wario reaches the end of his normal launch trajectory.

Last edited:

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
So how does this work exactly?
Wario's physics are freaking crazy. Do people know how to fully utilize this maneuver?

Cheers

Smash Apprentice
So what combos are you guys generally using? Looking for combos from low to high percents also combos that preferably combo into waft.

I'm not sure it's just me getting to used to the controls. But I STRUGGLE landing kill moves with wario aside from using his waft and fsmash lol. How do you guys usually land Usmash and Dsmash?

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Wario's up smash has a silly amount of priority, and can stuff practically any approach from above.

I just use his down smash to punish dodge rolls or after sidestepping something, since it's probably his fastest option other then a grab.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
BAir is a solid kill move as well. It autocancels on a shorthop but the timing is a little strict.
DAir kills as well, especially off stage. FTilt can kill too.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
He's so damn expressive in this game I love it.

Also more Warioware inspired. He fits in perfectly with Kat&Ana and Ashley here.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Look forward to using him in HD. Shame he still feels overall nerfed though.
The only things that actually feel like nerfs to me are the increased dair lag, reduced bite priority, lowered uair knockback, and no bike tires.

Everything else feels improved or the same.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
The only things that actually feel like nerfs to me are the increased dair lag, reduced bite priority, lowered uair knockback, and no bike tires.

Everything else feels improved or the same.
He feels slower in the air too. Not a fan of the new forward smash either, and losing the power of the clap and bike tires hurts.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Slower NAir, I belive. Also he's not slower, his aerial acceleration is just significantly lower.

Up Smash is a biiiig improvement though. I'm honestly unsure whether he's nerfed or buffed overall. He feels the same, yet different at the same time.

I do like Brawl Wario better.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I think I like Smash 4 Wario better because of his stronger ground game.

The faster f-tilt, new up smash, and tripping dash attack are all really nice.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I like the improved ground game a lot, I just miss zipping left and right in the air. :< He can still do that I suppose, but not to the same extent as in Brawl.

I'm still getting used to the new Wario. I thought he was sluggish at first, but the more I get the hang of him the faster he feels. It just takes time, but it's a fun experience. I've been rotating through characters every time but I always come back to Wario anyway.

Last edited:

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
Ya, while Brawl Wario was a ton of fun (because he moved like a magic stinky pixie), he didn't quite feel like Wario. This game has Wario feeling more weighted (or just actually affected by gravity), but with much greater land speed to compensate. His ground game in general is definitely better, and his animations are far more fluid and less G&W-like. I also love his new and improved bike, how expressive he is, and the new item swallowing mechanics.

However, what Brawl Wario had over this one is that amazing FSmash. Not only is it an iconic move that fits Wario, it was also a ton of fun to use (and much better competitively). Also his jab had a way better hitbox that could actually consistently hit the opponent, and honestly, not being subject to the laws of gravity is fun no matter what even if it doesn't entirely fit Wario's character.

I totally understand those who prefer Brawl Wario, but personally, I prefer the air...and Smash 4 Wario because he looks and feels more like Wario and how he'd actually fight.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Ya, while Brawl Wario was a ton of fun (because he moved like a magic stinky pixie), he didn't quite feel like Wario. This game has Wario feeling more weighted (or just actually affected by gravity), but with much greater land speed to compensate. His ground game in general is definitely better, and his animations are far more fluid and less G&W-like. I also love his new and improved bike, how expressive he is, and the new item swallowing mechanics.

However, what Brawl Wario had over this one is that amazing FSmash. Not only is it an iconic move that fits Wario, it was also a ton of fun to use (and much better competitively). Also his jab had a way better hitbox that could actually consistently hit the opponent, and honestly, not being subject to the laws of gravity is fun no matter what even if it doesn't entirely fit Wario's character.

I totally understand those who prefer Brawl Wario, but personally, I prefer the air...and Smash 4 Wario because he looks and feels more like Wario and how he'd actually fight.
This man speaks from the bottom of my heart. :D

The only thing i really miss is the Fsmash, the rest of the changes is great in my opinion. especially the new bike mechanics allow for some nice shenanigans and I like that.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
The super armor on the old forward smash was really nice, but at least the new one has enough KO power to help make Wario feel more like a traditional heavyweight.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
I picked up Wario randomly in For Glory, and I've got to say: Are you people sure this guy's been overall nerfed? I feel like I've been riding a free-wins train with him in 1v1 all day, what with the more useful specials and great tilts this guy now has.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I picked up Wario randomly in For Glory, and I've got to say: Are you people sure this guy's been overall nerfed? I feel like I've been riding a free-wins train with him in 1v1 all day, what with the more useful specials and great tilts this guy now has.
I find him overall better too. In Brawl, comboing was good, the bike was good for a hit or two before ya fall of it, and killing needed to be precise whether it was with the waft, clap, or foward smash. I also prefer to have a spike.
But now it seems a lot easier to kill with foward smash having more range, more control over the bike, new up-smash, faster down-tilt.
I hear this stuff about how his nair is worse, but its still good and can easily start combos so... To me, at least, Wario seems like Brawl Wario with more contol and kill power.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
More control? Eh, I don't know. Definitely not in the air anyway.

Definitely more control in regards to the bike, though.

Is NAir a good OoS move anymore, anyway?

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
If Wario ends up being low tier I will be very confused. His momentum glitch is so crazy that you can recover from everywhere, approach your enemy in interesting ways and even air grab them offstage (lol lil mac). He has strong attack, fast air movement and overall solid attacks.

I wonder how Wario would be like with his Momentum Glitch+ all his "Heavy" Special attacks except for the air grab

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
Have any of you had fun using the new Bike Smash attack?

Do a wheelie then slam the bike ontop of someone. Got some great Kos from that!

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
Apparently Wario can DACUS after his dash attack has already connected, like Falco could in Brawl. Seems like it can't combo, but might be usable against shields/in teams. Was this known?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Apparently Wario can DACUS after his dash attack has already connected, like Falco could in Brawl. Seems like it can't combo, but might be usable against shields/in teams. Was this known?
Yeah. Won't know how useful it is until the Wii U version is out, though.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I feel dumb for not realizing until now that you can end a wheelie early by pressing down.

It makes connecting with it so much easier, though it's still rare to find opportunities to get one off..

Top Bottom