• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Whilst he was my most anticipated newcomer for Brawl, I was disappointed with his final outcome. Felt too weird and floaty...for some reason he doesn't feel as bizarre this time round. Is he confirmed heavier or is my mind playing tricks on me?

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
Whilst he was my most anticipated newcomer for Brawl, I was disappointed with his final outcome. Felt too weird and floaty...for some reason he doesn't feel as bizarre this time round. Is he confirmed heavier or is my mind playing tricks on me?
There's definitely more weight to Wario's movement this time around, you can even hear it in his new walking sounds. His running speed has been improved, and his ground moves in general seem enhanced. He seems less like a pixie and more like an agile heavy weight fighter (as advertised in his trophy). I think the new up smash really sells that role more.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Holy hell, I went into Smash 3DS thinking "I'm going to main the Pac and the Kong." While I use both, Wario of all people is my new main. I didn't even use him in Brawl! Now I'm haunting For Glory with my newly added member of the Pink Crew.

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
According to Wario's tips, you can pick up his bike parts after the bike shattered. Do you guys think it's a Wii U only deal?

Twewy

Smash Lord
I ate one of the pieces after my bike exploded, somehow. Maybe you need to catch them mid-air.

D

Deleted member

Pretty disappointed that they cut the Shoulder Dash from Wario's moveset, since that's his iconic move, and while not on par with Link's Spin Attack or Samus's Missle, it meant a lot to me because that move defeated many an enemy from the Wario Land games.

But, at least Wild Swing-Fling survived, though I still miss the most iconic vestage of Wario Land.

Why, Sakurai, do you hate Wario Land? The franchise made Wario such a beloved star.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
Hey there Wario mains, I had a question and wasn't sure where to ask it.

I ran into a really crazy Wario a few hours ago that had this really crazy movement, but I didn't see anything like that in his moveset. I should have recorded it, but the closest thing I can compare it to is this:

/watch?v=9UQEJIZPxh8

Did you guys already find some new tech?

Rakurai

Smash Ace
It's not really a tech so much as it is a glitch that occurs when Wario tries to DI/vector/whatever straight up.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Seems Wario got nothing but buffs! He heals by eating, doesn't fall off the bike, has stronger moves and kill potential... was he nerfed in any way? I guess you cant pick up the bike parts but according to the above conversation its...undetermined...?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Seems Wario got nothing but buffs! He heals by eating, doesn't fall off the bike, has stronger moves and kill potential... was he nerfed in any way? I guess you cant pick up the bike parts but according to the above conversation its...undetermined...?
Fair not auto cancelling in a short hop is a huge nerf.

Also fsmash is not as good as Brawl and aerial movement is slightly worse.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Fair not auto cancelling in a short hop is a huge nerf.

Also fsmash is not as good as Brawl and aerial movement is slightly worse.
Ahh, well I guess he's rather balanced then! They did a really good job with that this time around! Guess Wario's ganna be another character that may favor ground play. And he can edgeguard with the bike now too, right? It has a hitbox after you jump off?

Rakurai

Smash Ace
The bike doesn't have a hitbox while it's airborne if Wario isn't riding it.

It's also lame that the Burying Bike is the only one that will actually stay on the level if you jump off it immediately after getting on, whereas you need to edge crash the other two to keep them from sliding off.

Makes it less convenient to use as a throwing weapon.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
According to Wario's tips, you can pick up his bike parts after the bike shattered. Do you guys think it's a Wii U only deal?
I checked. It speifically says you can't.

On the other hand, it does mention that eating the parts build up the waft.

Cheers

Smash Apprentice
How do you guys feel about wario so far? Do you think he's better or worse coming from brawl? Haven't purchased the game yet so I wanted to ask here lol.

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
Wario is really good in this game. Basically the same Wario from brawl but better. The only thing that bothers me about him is his new f-smash and the 3ds controlls. I'm not sure if the new f-smash has a slower start-up lag than the old, but it sure seems that way. The 3ds controls bother me because a c-stick would help me in certain scenarios and the fact that I occasionally use the neutal/down special instead of my side special. (this especially hurts me when I play as jigglypuff)

I can't wait to play as him on the Wii U. I'm strongly considering maining Wario again.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Well, I did my first seven For Glory matches with Wario today, and the bike feels like it's as good of an approaching tool as I was hoping it would be. I mostly used it as a pseudo projectile of sorts to pressure my opponents into doing something, then responded accordingly. It really helps against Duck Hunt in particular, as it sends the can flying too far for it to be a threat and gets rid of the clay pigeon.

The only match that made me sweat a little was against a Yoshi, who was a bit of pain due to the range advantage he has with his air game.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
He feels really sluggish in this game to me. Lack of c stick hurts.

D

Deleted member

Other than the new Forward Smash, I've enjoyed Wario, actually. Wario can't fall off the Wario Bike on his own, although I've found it a touch harder to get off the damn thing, but maybe it's me.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Other than the new Forward Smash, I've enjoyed Wario, actually. Wario can't fall off the Wario Bike on his own, although I've found it a touch harder to get off the damn thing, but maybe it's me.
It's not just you. Feels harder to get off it.

Now maybe it's just me, but the bike seems nerfed. A friend of mine who I used to drive crazy with it can now destroy it with no problem most of the time now.

Hyper

Smash Apprentice
The bike was buffed and nerfed.
We can't jump off it while doing a wheelie off stage now, the bike breaks while we're on it and, it's easier to hit us on the bike.

However the bike comes out much faster in the air now and is stronger in knockback now.

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
I checked. It speifically says you can't.

On the other hand, it does mention that eating the parts build up the waft.
Ah, my mistake then.

It's not just you. Feels harder to get off it.

Now maybe it's just me, but the bike seems nerfed. A friend of mine who I used to drive crazy with it can now destroy it with no problem most of the time now.
In my experience the bike is infinitely better now. The fact that it retains a hitbox when you jump off of it alone makes it way more useful. Also, the speed in which it can travel now and the fact that you can combo the bike blows into each other make it why better for general purpose ramming. It improves approaching tremendously, and that is huge for Wario.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of said bike, what are its weaknesses? It might be lag, but I can't seem to shield against it in time in for glory mode. The thing comes out too fast.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Bike is such a SOLID move on the ground now. So much versatility and control.

Been playing For Glory exclusively with him now and that bike just eats through your usual FG player tactics. Best thing is when they finally learned that they can just jump over it, that's when I take out the waft and kill. So good.

Unfortunately I rarely ever netted a kill with the wheelie. Shame, because it's satisfying when it hits. :<

EDIT: Btw I found that roll dodge cancel grab is very useful for Wario and his spacing. It greatly improves his grab range and makes his throw game that much better. I like to mess around with UThrow -> BAir and I always hit with it since they either try to air dodge or hit below them lol.

Last edited:

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
Ya, I'm also finding Wario to be a really solid option on 1 on 1 for Glory too. Use him exclusively and I'm very happy with the results.

My favourite thing is to reverse the match momentum with the bike. A great way to catch people by surprise is to pull out the bike after your hit and are in the air but close enough to the ground for your bike to start up on the ground and ram anyone in your way. It catches people who are trying to chase you down unawares a lot.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I only recently realized that Wario sometimes emits a yellow flash when he's able to take his bike out again.

This seems happen when the bike either despawns from remaining on the stage too long, or if it falls off the stage. Destroying or eating the bike has no such effect, presumably it's obvious that you can produce a new bike at that point.

For that matter, I'm glad that there's absolutely no delay in taking out a new bike once it's destroyed or goes out of bounds now.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Holy crap is that what it is? I always thought it was just a pointless indication that the waft is charging....

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
His new forward smash is slower, his aerial movement is more sluggish, and Wario Man is pretty much useless.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Air movement is still really fast, he just doesn't have like triple the aerial acceleration of every character.

Largely why I prefer Brawl Wario, to be honest.
DAir and FAir not auto cancelling anymore are the biggest nerfs imo. (tires wouldn't be as useful without glide tossing anyway)

Last edited:

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
Did they remove Wario's ramming elbow move!?!? WHYYY!!?!?!?
That's a REAL MOVE from the Wario Land games x_x so stupid if true...

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
RosaLuma is an ANNOYING match up. Bike can't even punish her rolls.
Easily the worst match up in my experience, and that's mostly against players who are only decent with her. Luma meses up my
camping.

And yeah FSmash got replaced. I don't like the new one. :/

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Being able to get follow-ups off of a late nair hit from 0-100% depending on the character is really nice.

Especially since the waft is included among them.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Being able to get follow-ups off of a late nair hit from 0-100% depending on the character is really nice.

Especially since the waft is included among them.
NAir follows up are so fun to do here. I never really thought of the waft though. There's so many waft set ups lol.

This character is too fun.

Last edited:

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
This could just be because most people online don't play well, but I'm getting the sense that Wario is one of the better characters in the game. He's small, heavy, very mobile, and does not have nearly as much trouble killing as most characters in the cast. His only issue is still his approach, but even that is better thanks to biking and the ability to jump off it (which keeps its hit box).

I dunno, I'm just finding a lot of success with him. Anyone else feeling it too?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Very successful with him online here.

My ROB and Mac are sooo bad in comparison. :<

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I'll be getting online next week. So far I've progressed enough to where I can beat level 8 computers consistently. I still need to unlock his custom Up+B moves because he's a great edgeguarder but I need more distance from that up+b after chasing people out.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Isn't the bike enough to recover? I never really SD'd trying to gimp.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
You can go underneath most levels using just the bike, so it should be more then enough as long as you tilt it backwards first.

Corbyn Doty

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5429-9252-3234
Hey! so far wario seems pretty strong to me, his bite seems MUCH easier to land. I was curious if someone could list some good combos, or followups? I read something about waft setups?

Rakurai

Smash Ace
The bite has lower start-up and ending lag, but the hitbox on it is smaller and has less priority.

It can't even stop attacks with little disjoint like Sonic's Spin Dash reliably anymore, which is pretty depressing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom