• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Part of me wishes that the Bomb was the series icon instead of the generic "W" (which isn't even stylized, when it normally is). Only thing about it is that it's Warioware exclusively, when Wario Land is (supposedly) part of the series.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Part of me wishes that the Bomb was the series icon instead of the generic "W" (which isn't even stylized, when it normally is). Only thing about it is that it's Warioware exclusively, when Wario Land is (supposedly) part of the series.
However Wario has been using a mix of Wario Land and Wario Ware content, and that probably wont change such as his two attires.

I also see you mained him in Brawl, @ Spinosaurus Spinosaurus just how often did you find yourself using the Waft?

For me I only do it just to get some extra air then follow up a spin, it not much, I think I'd rather see a bit more air with his double jump.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
However Wario has been using a mix of Wario Land and Wario Ware content, and that probably wont change such as his two attires.

I also see you mained him in Brawl, @ Spinosaurus Spinosaurus just how often did you find yourself using the Waft?

For me I only do it just to get some extra air then follow up a spin, it not much, I think I'd rather see a bit more air with his double jump.
If I have it at full charge, then it's my primary punisher or my go-to kill at low percentages, and it's also very good tfor keeping the opponent pressured. I sometimes use it earlier than that for a surprise. I don't normally stall for it though, since I tend to play the pressure game with Wario, so I don't use it often because I normally only have it fully charged once or twice in a match, and I rarely ever use it for the extra recovery because the bike covers a lot of vertical distance as is.

Out of his special moves it is the one that I'd rather let go of, but even then I like it a lot as it's another move in Wario's few KO options, which is why if he gets a new down B it ends up being a good KO move.

That said, I doubt Wario will receive any major changes. Maybe different properties, but as it stands, Brawl Wario's design is perfect as is. It just needs some tweaks, mainly a little better range and more KO options, otherwise he's perfectly fine. The beauty of his design is that he can adopt many playstyles because of the utility of his moves. I dislike pandering, so I don't want to see something like the shoulder bash as a special if he didn't need it before.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

If I have it at full charge, then it's my primary punisher or my go-to kill at low percentages, and it's also very good tfor keeping the opponent pressured. I sometimes use it earlier than that for a surprise. I don't normally stall for it though, since I tend to play the pressure game with Wario, so I don't use it often because I normally only have it fully charged once or twice in a match, and I rarely ever use it for the extra recovery because the bike covers a lot of vertical distance as is.

Out of his special moves it is the one that I'd rather let go of, but even then I like it a lot as it's another move in Wario's few KO options, which is why if he gets a new down B it ends up being a good KO move.

That said, I doubt Wario will receive any major changes. Maybe different properties, but as it stands, Brawl Wario's design is perfect as is. It just needs some tweaks, mainly a little better range and more KO options, otherwise he's perfectly fine. The beauty of his design is that he can adopt many playstyles because of the utility of his moves. I dislike pandering, so I don't want to see something like the shoulder bash as a special if he didn't need it before.
Thoughts on maybe some sort of Waluigi color scheme, I'm all for it personally, but it doesn't exactly have to be a Waluigi color sche as it could be a reverse Waluigi color scheme, like how he the Mario, or even the Wario Woods color scheme, that's pretty much what'd like to see, yes I'm hoping for a purple color swap.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Thoughts on maybe some sort of Waluigi color scheme, I'm all for it personally, but it doesn't exactly have to be a Waluigi color sche as it could be a reverse Waluigi color scheme, like how he the Mario, or even the Wario Woods color scheme, that's pretty much what'd like to see, yes I'm hoping for a purple color swap.
Sure, I wouldn't mind it for his classic outfit, but...

Obviously his blue, green and red colors can't go (two of which are based on characters. red - Mario. blue - Captain Syrup.) can't go, that means his Gameboy and "sailor" (what I'd like to call it) colors are what it would replace, but I'm personally fond of both (Gameboy color is my go-to for the classic outfit), so I'd rather not see them go.

Then again, I just remembered team colors aren't a thing anymore, but I don't think green should be replaced, for tradition's sake. Waluigi color is more perfect for Luigi imo. Green and "sailor" Wario aren't based on anything, but they look great. EDIT: Though you could argue the green color is based on the green color scheme the Gameboy screen used to have.

I think Wario has very solid color options, both Warioware and Wario Land costumes. Though, I wouldn't mind a purple/pink color scheme for his Warioware costume, referencing Wario-Man, regardless of it being his final smash.

Personally, I just want Wario's design to be updated. He looks TOO stubby and deformed in Brawl. I think Wario never really translated properly to 3D because he looks best in 2D, but I think Smash could do it provided he doesn't look deformed again. I want him taller and much more toned.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Sure, I wouldn't mind it for his classic outfit, but...

Obviously his blue, green and red colors can't go (two of which are based on characters. red - Mario. blue - Captain Syrup.) can't go, that means his Gameboy and "sailor" (what I'd like to call it) colors are what it would replace, but I'm personally fond of both (Gameboy color is my go-to for the classic outfit), so I'd rather not see them go.

Then again, I just remembered team colors aren't a thing anymore, but I don't think green should be replaced, for tradition's sake. Waluigi color is more perfect for Luigi imo. Green and "sailor" Wario aren't based on anything, but they look great. EDIT: Though you could argue the green color is based on the green color scheme the Gameboy screen used to have.

I think Wario has very solid color options, both Warioware and Wario Land costumes. Though, I wouldn't mind a purple/pink color scheme for his Warioware costume, referencing Wario-Man, regardless of it being his final smash.

Personally, I just want Wario's design to be updated. He looks TOO stubby and deformed in Brawl. I think Wario never really translated properly to 3D because he looks best in 2D, but I think Smash could do it provided he doesn't look deformed again. I want him taller and much more toned.
I think we could do without the brown one, the GB color scheme, I think his pants need to be darker after all, they're supposed to be black, definitely need black pants on Wario, just sayin.

They could maybe even add that Wario's Woods color scheme, who knows, I think we could see a additional color.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I think we could do without the brown one, the GB color scheme, I think his pants need to be darker after all, they're supposed to be black, definitely need black pants on Wario, just sayin.

They could maybe even add that Wario's Woods color scheme, who knows, I think we could see a additional color.
Wario's origin is in the Gameboy, so I'm completely against getting rid of that color. It's my favorite anyway. :p I'd like a purple color but idk what to replace for his classic look, but for his biker look I could do without the white or green one.

TeamFlareZakk

Wario's origin is in the Gameboy, so I'm completely against getting rid of that color. It's my favorite anyway. :p I'd like a purple color but idk what to replace for his classic look, but for his biker look I could do without the white or green one.
Tbh, of the Warioware attires, I only liked the default, yeah I see how the GB color scheme has its sentimental value, I just would like them to make the pants black so he doesn't look like a sailor, after all, the only colors in the GB are black and white.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
That is excellent idea, I forgot there was a Wario Ware Bomb, its perfect, its a Wario product, its something iconic for Wario to use, its more iconic than gas, admit it.

I can see it now, Wario throws this bad boy yelling FIRE, AHAHAHAHAHA, like he does in Mario Kart 64.

AHAHA, Wario always wins!
I'll be honest, I thought the Bob-Omb idea was stupid, but this... oh my god yes. To go along with his unorthodox playstyle, maybe it could detonate after a random interval, to mess with people. You'll never know if it's safe to throw back or not.

It had better be an item at least.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I really hope the reason we haven't seen Wario yet is because they've been spending so much time designing his expressions.

He better look ****ing great once we see him.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I really hope the reason we haven't seen Wario yet is because they've been spending so much time designing his expressions.

He better look ****ing great once we see him.
This is what I'm hoping for as well.

God damn the potential for Wario to bring the GLORIOUS expressions.

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
I dunno if this is weird but this is what me and my friends call the wario shades for years. I hope its not weird:

Yellow: Wario
Red.: Mario Wario
Blue: Twink Wario
Green: Luigi Wario
Brown: Butterscotch Wario
White: Captain Wario

I hope they keep butterscotch Wario, he's great

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
What are the odds Wario would be revealed tomorrow?

I'd honestly be more excited for that than any newcomer lol.

JabbatheHutt

same if hes not shown ill be pissed. sick of him being absent from all this promotiional posters and stuff

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I s'pose that little Wario moment at the beginning of the Digital Event means something.

Not that there was any doubt about it, but it just appalls me that we have yet to see him in Smash 4.

JabbatheHutt

Him and Ganon being there meant something defff. ALl other characters in the robot chicken skits were smash characters

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I think the fact that Wario and Ganondorf were at the Robot Chicken thing was a hint. Also the Star-Fox and Mother 3 could also be hints at a returning Falco and Lucas, just saying.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Not counting on it. Expecting July for his reveal, or rather feeling it.

I'm not sad though. E3 was awesome all around and I'd rather the big oaf gets revealed on his own so he doesn't get overshadowed. :]

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I'm almost convinced he's gonna be unlockable now. I feel like the starting roster has been solidified now and if they add any more, it's gonna be Ice Climbers, Lucas or Meta Knight (who might also end up being unlockable for the sake of there already being two starter Kirby characters.)

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
There's no way he'll be unlockable. He's just too iconic for that.

Plus I don't think the time of their reveal has anything to do with whether or not they'd be unlockable, especially since the veteran reveals seem mostly tied to something related to the character, Marth and Ike being the only exception. Secret characters are likely not a thing anymore because of amiibo (would be pointless if the secret character is displayed publicly anyway), so I really doubt he'll be a secret, or any character really.

Last edited:

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
There's no way he'll be unlockable. He's just too iconic for that.

Plus I don't think the time of their reveal has anything to do with whether or not they'd be unlockable, especially since the veteran reveals seem mostly tied to something related to the character, Marth and Ike being the only exception. Secret characters are likely not a thing anymore because of amiibo (would be pointless if the secret character is displayed publicly anyway), so I really doubt he'll be a secret, or any character really.
He was unlockable in a few Mario games, namely Mario Kart 7.

I wouldn't rule it out so quickly. If there aren't unlockable characters anymore, that would mean that there have been a LOT of cuts, assuming we're not getting 10-15 more characters in the next two months.

EDIT: Also, did anyone else notice that Mario stole Wario's blue palette swap? What do you think Wario's will be now?

Last edited:

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
After how poorly he was implemented in Brawl I'd really only care to see him back if he got some major overhauling.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
He was unlockable in a few Mario games, namely Mario Kart 7.

I wouldn't rule it out so quickly. If there aren't unlockable characters anymore, that would mean that there have been a LOT of cuts, assuming we're not getting 10-15 more characters in the next two months.

EDIT: Also, did anyone else notice that Mario stole Wario's blue palette swap? What do you think Wario's will be now?
I think there will be unlockables, they just won't be secrets anymore. We'll probably know every character before the game, but that doesn't mean none of them could be unlockables. Although with the pace the reveals are going at this rate, who knows?
Either way, Wario represents his own series, and it's not obscure enough to be unlockable if you ask me. (Unlike G&W and ROB)

And yeah, it's weird. It's my least favorite of his classic colors but I don't want it to go lol.
After how poorly he was implemented in Brawl I'd really only care to see him back if he got some major overhauling.
sigh

Last edited:

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
Poorly implemented? He could have been a bit better, but I thought he was pretty good in Brawl.

I could see him getting some slight changes, but the only character that needs a major overhaul is Ganondorf.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
He's fine. He doesn't need any changes, just some slight tweaks.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
What the hell does this mean? What was the value in typing out "sigh"?

Poorly implemented? He could have been a bit better, but I thought he was pretty good in Brawl.

I could see him getting some slight changes, but the only character that needs a major overhaul is Ganondorf.
His model and proportions were off
Unlike other characters he didn't feel reminiscent of how he did in his own games.
His moves (barring the bike) are based off nothing:

Farting - What the hell is this ****?
Generic recovery move - he has better to draw from
Bite: where the hell is this even from? Is Wario a biter? I've played Wario Land 1-4, Shake It and World no biting...
His normals: What happened here?

For some reason they decided to make him completely weird and choppy claiming its based off of WarioWare, except I played Wario Ware and the bike and outfit are where the influence ends. There are very little moves in WarioWare to draw from, they just messed up so bad.

I am also thoroughly convinced someone has a fetish for his ass, he has a farting win pose, move and Wario would never just wave his ass out as a taunt, when you do see him do something like that he's not doing it on purpose like in Wario Land Shake It.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
How about the pyramid from Wario Land 4?
That's actually what I was thinking. Wario Land 4 is my favorite game, so wouldn't mind that.

Hopefully we get something out of Wario Land anyway, I don't care what it is. A better Warioware stage too, that has more variety in Microgame hazards with the only reward for successfully avoiding them is, well, that.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I like the Shake It version better. (EDIT: Wait no I'm thinking Greenhorn RUINS lol) But god yes, Smash needs something jazzy.

And Wario can bring the jazz.

Last edited:

JabbatheHutt

I also think a stage based off the Pinball level of Wario land 4 would be great. OR a level maybe in Smash run where you have to fly an owl through a spike maze like in WL2

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'd say the best Wario Land stage is probably Wario's Castle. The first stage in Wario Land 2, in particular.

Could possibly have some other inspiration from other Wario Land games. Captain Syrup could potentially break in with her goons as a boss, or have the frog portal (WL4) appear and the Golden Diva comes out of it. There's also Denpu and Rudy the Clown, but Captain Syrup is obviously the best choice.

I also think we should get an improved Warioware stage. There's a LOT of potential there, and I feel the Brawl stage fell short. I like it a lot as an idea but it lacked variety in microgames and the "rewards" are out of nowhere and stupid. Where did they come from, anyway? The reward for winning a microgame in Warioware is not losing a life. Here successfully avoiding the microgame hazard is a reward in itself.

Last edited:

JabbatheHutt

Too many castles... needs to be unique and Odd...... Maybe Diamond City. Havent had a city levels since Melee

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Don't think we ever got a proper castle level actually. It's always been OUTSIDE of one, not INSIDE, but eh.

Diamond City could be good, yes, as long as microgames play a part.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Project M handled Wario perfectly.

The lack of Wario Land moves implemented in Brawl Wario made me uninterested in the character though when I play P:M, I'll play Wario in friendly, non-serious matches.

If the likes of Bowser and other characters are getting revamped movesets, I hope Wario is a veteran to consider for this process and receives Wario Land inspired moves with a side of WarioWare to go along with it.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Wario NEEDS a change. Being my favorite game character ever, I was disappointed when I played him in Brawl.

His movements... oh god, the MOVEMENTS! It's like Game & Watch 2.0. And I understand that this style is from Wario Ware, and I understand that the Wario Ware is higher than the Wario Land series now, but that's not how Wario is supposed to be!! Wario isn't supposed to have around 2 frames on his walking animation, walking sideways, and looking like he is just sliding across the ground, with only 1 facial expression. Wario is a treasure hunter, a treasure hunter with his famous yellow and purple clothes, using Dashing and Ground Pounding to reach his goals. Look at how Wario moves and looks in the Wario Land games, the Mario sport games, Mario Kart 8 - THAT is Wario. Being full of greedy facial expressions, walking like Wario is supposed to do, using Bob-Ombs, shoulder bashing, etc. instead of having 2-3 frames on many of his moves, having Game & Watch styled animations, and not seing much from Wario Land. He feels like a frozen character in Brawl. I have nothing against Wario Ware or the Wario Ware outfit, but how they represented Wario in Brawl when it came to the animations, movements and attacks - is just... not Wario.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Guys, we're simply fans of the character, we don't own him. We can't decide who "Wario" is, because that's silly. His own creators see him as a zany CEO of a video game company now, and there's nothing you can do about it. Warioware Wario is just as "Wario" as Wario Land Wario is. Moreover, Brawl Wario is a fine character. It was a good direction to take for him, and he represents an unpredictable and charming playstyle no one else has. Wario is my favorite character as well and I couldn't be happier with Brawl Wario. You DON'T have to like him, but don't say it isn't "Wario".

Let's stop these silly Warioware vs Wario Land arguments, especially when he gets revealed. It gets us absolutely nowhere.

Last edited:
Top Bottom