• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Experimented with tires? Tires give Wario a lot more range to play with, definitely helpful in this matchup. Marth's sword really slices through tires with no mercy, so they will have to be conservative and well placed to do any good. Marth also has an awesome UpB OoS, so shield traps will be less likely (although you can predict the UpB, shield and punish for a mixup). Using tires defensively will also help your chances of not getting grabbed. Don't fall into patterns, or you will be punished if they're smart.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Sup Mike. Tell these fo's that Marth beats Wario. They don't know... they just don't know.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
Marth beats Wario, that's no secret. but some find the MU easier than others. I think 60:40 though, maybe 55:45 at best

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It's not even. He has a sword, grab release to kill move/damage, frame traps on our approaches, strong OOS game, and plenty of stuffing range while grounded.

Wario would have to do a LOT of work for it to be even. A lot. You are already having to play harder than the Marth guy. Baiting with airdodge, running up trying to PS, going out of your way to spawn tires, etc. All he has to do? Watch what you do, and don't let you get away with anything stupid. SH delayed Fair or Nair, Pivot grab, etc.

I wanna be optimistic about it, but it just isn't an even matchup.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I don't think it's an over exaggeration at all. Frankly I think the MU is borderline hard counter, like 65:35.

SAX

Smash Ace
Yeah It's definitely in marth's favor. But It's not a hard counter.

I agree with 55:45 Marth favor.
I played HR's marth for a bit, I got 2 stocked once, then the rest were close one stocks.
I still stand my ground for 55:45 lol. Marth definitely has a clear edge, but nothing that seems impossibly overwhelming. I think i would prolly beat his marth if I was a better player at this game. But HR is lightyears better than me at this game lol, and I almost beat him... with a character he plays often... not sayin he's like mikehaze or anything, but he's still hecka smart.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
yeah it's definitely in marth's favor. But it's not a hard counter.

I agree with 55:45 marth favor.
I played hr's marth for a bit, i got 2 stocked once, then the rest were close one stocks.
I still stand my ground for 55:45 lol. Marth definitely has a clear edge, but nothing that seems impossibly overwhelming. I think i would prolly beat his marth if i was a better player at this game. But hr is lightyears better than me at this game lol, and i almost beat him... With a character he plays often... Not sayin he's like mikehaze or anything, but he's still hecka smart.
why can't yall go on days i can :(?!?!?!?

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
It's 60-40 Marth's favor. Wario needs to outplay his opponent. Now let's move onto a new topic, I don't think the Q&A thread is for MU discussion.

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
Can someone explain to me how Grab releases work in Brawl? I just know that you just pummel then let them go, and you can grab again. How do you get a ground release, and how do you get an air release?

SAX

Smash Ace
Can someone explain to me how Grab releases work in Brawl? I just know that you just pummel then let them go, and you can grab again. How do you get a ground release, and how do you get an air release?
Grab releases are determine by a couple of things.
If warios feet are touching the ground, you'll get ground released, if he's in the air, you'll get the god awful air release. However, if wario is touching the ground, but you mash out or press something that makes you jump, you'll air release. Also, you can force a hound release by consistantly pummeling very quickly while grabbing someone.

Hope this helps

:phone:

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
Thanks that helped a whole bunch. So can people get a ground release on you for sure as long as they are pummeling really fast?

SAX

Smash Ace
Thanks that helped a whole bunch. So can people get a ground release on you for sure as long as they are pummeling really fast?
That is correct.
That's why its so easy to abuse the extra lag ness and Lucas get from ground releases. Even if they press jump, you just spam pummel really fast and they ground release every time.

SAX

Smash Ace
So can they get released until the edge of the stage with every character?
yup. Pretty dumb lol.
Some characters like charizard and marth have an infinite where they don't even have to move. Their grab range is so quick and big, they can stand there and pummel them until 999%

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
No, it is not particularly hard to avoid Yoshi's grab, as most likely it will be a pivot grab. You can avoid it easily by staying out of range, and be careful of shorthop approaches because his pivot grab can get you.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It's not hard to avoid it, but it's something you always have to remember when playing against him.

Zelderu Maryoto

Smash Apprentice
Is it possible for Wario to spotdodge to avoid King Dededes chain grab? I've done it a couple of times, though it was on Wi-Fi, so does it work offline as well?

Zelderu Maryoto

Smash Apprentice
LMAO you cant possibly be serious about this? >__>

w/e, I'll still answer. Like with every other spotdodge, there is a small amount of time when Wario IS vulnerable. After the invincibility, there is a 5 frame duration when Wario is vulnerable while the spotdodges ending animation is still on (2-20 / 25 Wario). In general, it's a pretty bad idea to avoid CG's by spotdodging. You'd rather want to space well with Bair than wait to get grabbed while spotdodging.
No, I mean while getting chain grabbed. For example, if King Dedede is chain grabbing Wario, does Wario have time to spotdodge between two grabs?

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
No, I mean while getting chain grabbed. For example, if King Dedede is chain grabbing Wario, does Wario have time to spotdodge between two grabs?
No. You cannot escape the CG by spotdodging if the DDD is doing it right. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a CG anymore and somebody would probably have discovered this way earlier.
The fact that this has happened to you on WiFi pretty much clears it up. Buffering the running CG is harder to do under lag (unless you're used to it).

Zelderu Maryoto

Smash Apprentice
No. You cannot escape the CG by spotdodging if the DDD is doing it right. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a CG anymore and somebody would probably have discovered this way earlier.
The fact that this has happened to you on WiFi pretty much clears it up. Buffering the running CG is harder to do under lag (unless you're used to it).
OK, then, that's what I wanted to know.

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
Chaingrabs are chaingrabs... They are so good. They are one of the only true combos in Brawl that can't be escaped.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Recovering High usually is best. Recovering low limits your options most of the time. The only times I usually recover low, are when someone covers the high option well like MK who just Shuttle looped me, touched ground and is already jumping up offstage.

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
High is the best, because you have so many more options, and the bike can protect you a little bit from someone trying to gimp you. Low is usually not a good option, especially against a good gimper like MK or ZSS.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
When you have a fart, that opens up more doors for your low recovery. It could potentially scare them into not punishing you knowing they can get stage spiked by the attack.

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
Fully charged waft gives Wario one of the top recoveries in the game combined with the bike. It gives him so many options, and keeps him really safe.

BPx

Smash Lord
I'm sure you guys are just playing actual MK mains, but I really haven't had too much of a problem with the MU. I've beaten a few MKs in tourney, and I feel like Wario could have it a lot worse. The MU just sucks because you have to play so defensively. Literally nothing Wario has actually beats MK (exaggeration), so you have to find creative ways to play the MU, be it tires/baiting/good wafts.

Next time I play with Domo, I'll try to get a few sets recorded. He is probably the best MK who actually lives in the same region shrug. All I know is every time people pull pocket MKs, I beat them :/

Top Bottom