• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wanting to make a PM Build Creator website, looking for information, help, etc.

wauterboi

Smash Rookie
Hello, my name is wauterboi. You may have seen a previous thread in which I wanted to make a barebones Project M installation that had ASL set up for every possible stage. I've since moved on past that, and I've been looking to do something a little grander in scale.

You see, I believe that there's a lot of work that goes into preparing an SD card of Project M with extra mods installed, so I was thinking of making a website called Project Chaingrab. The goal is to eliminate the hassle involved with creating your own personalized builds.

In short, you select the maps you want from a repository of maps tagged for their size, whether or not they're competitive, etc. Then you pick a fighter pack, gameplay mods, etc. I have a general idea as to how this is all possible except for when it comes to injecting images into the various game files. Handling the files in the directories themselves and doing hex-editing to mess with ASL and what not doesn't seem like an issue, but everything that requires BrawlBox's GUI is.

I've done some searching and I've come to the conclusion that there just aren't any command-line options for replacing SSS and CSS icons. Everything's got a GUI. That's really the only road block that I have that I just don't have a solution for without having to delve into programming that I'm not familiar with.

Is there any other way I'd be able to approach this? I'd love to make this a website project for me to stew over for the next few months outside of college and my first real application of web development (Ruby on Rails + Linux) to a community and game I enjoy.

Thanks!

wauterboi

Smash Rookie
Taking humans out of complicated processes should be the goal of any project. If everything from ASL to renaming files was automated, then there would be a lot less problems and it would be a lot more inviting.

Right now I'm trying to see what editing Brawl's files was like before BrawlBox. Not finding anything!

Last edited:
Top Bottom