• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wafa? Wefe? It's WiFi baby!

ChozoChampion

Smash Apprentice
i wonder if you will be able to use unlocked charactetrs if the people your playing don't have them unlocked?

RicanThunder

Smash Cadet
One word - AWESOME - everybody knew that they needed to use wi fi for smash but now that its confirmed I am even more pumped than ever. Picking your own icon, kicking the crap out of the sandbag. WHOO - and you even get a preview of what the icons are for when your playing the game at the bottom. Gottem

NukeA6

Smash Master
Alright we got the better Adventure mode and now Wi-fi connection. What else would Brawl need (besides characters)?

This may turn out to be my dream game. In fact, it already is.

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord
Holy cow!!!! Best update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow, I'm glad that Nintendo Rep was wrong!!!! When are gonna start exchanging Wii numbers?

WaterTails

Smash Lord
Squirtle icon FTW!

Also, Left will bo ZOMGOWNED!

Right will be ****, You killed me!

Down will be Suxxorz, 4-stock or OOPS (I SD a lot!)

Bli33ard

Smash Journeyman
YESSSS!!! When did this get released? I got ready for school (8:30AM) and I'm in UK, it still hadn't uploaded!

YAY!

Wolfblade

Smash Lord
This update is god!

Slow down or not, this it'll be amazing to smash with people whenever you want. I wonder if the level select online will be like mariokarts? For those who don't know, first off, you suck and go buy it now! Secondly everyone votes for a level and then the computer randomly selects one.

Oh geez... I thinking I'm tearing up.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
This is another one of those updates that is well speaks of Munchlax (not that it's lame)but rather there are some hidden things to be seen. I'll dub these updates "update resolves" as they may reveal hidden or lesser important things in the updates rather than one concrete idea. so lets go through the homeless runthrough.

1: the game is confirmed as wifi

2: There will be four taunts (or rather one taunt asigned four speech bubbles for wifi mode)

3: They complete starter roster has been given (or at least what we should consider at this moment). There is a possibility that Sakurai could have edited out the other starters or that The pics work like wii channels and can be moved. However for the sake of reasonability and analysis we should assume at this time that the complete startup roster is a total of 18.

4: If #3 is correct than this proves that Shiek is not Zelda's transformation (as Zamus and the starter pokes are shown). this however doesn't completely disprove her as a character entirely (she may be unlockable).

5: Mii's are confirmed to be in the game in some form. So the fact that you can scroll far down means nothing (they can all be Miis)

6: Also the Miis in my eyes look a little more graphical boosted (though my eyes could be tricking me). However it is though, The graphical boost to the Miis means alot to their involvement in the game.

7:For some reason the AC symbol is nowhere to be seen (take this as you will)

8: I (as well as anyone in the far Eastern Countries) get screwed in the wifi department once again.

9: If I was a moderator (or had the power if you will) I would be slaying Mic's article left to right with the power of proper spelling and grammer

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord
Question, is this gonna be like Metroid Prime 3 will people who are already added on your Wii friend list will be added to your game? Or will it be like Strikers with a new separate FC?

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Did... did I just cry?

Ok, first things first. When Brawl comes out every needs to go to the regional tourney section and share each others friend codes. Second, Ridley. Third, Ridley Ridley Ridley ... sonic... ridley

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
Theres one thing I hope Online will have. In the update, there has been said that there will be more revelead. I hope that the stages aren't entirely random. Though that's not such a big thing, I really care for an items toggle on or off.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
i was very exciteted about today's update. online is something i've been looking forward to since smash was first unveiled at E3 2006, and now we can put those doubts to rest

sad there are some limitations, but it's online, and that's good enough for me

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Hey Colb

Of course now 10,000 wifi topics are going to pop up all over =/

It will be worth it though when I get my chance at fame, fortune GLORY! SPARTANS, TONGIGHT, WE DI... sorry
haha, DI

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I know I'll be offering a lot of 1v1s. Not only will the connection be better that way, that is the real way to get better. :)

Florida

イーグランツ
I know I'll be offering a lot of 1v1s. Not only will the connection be better that way, that is the real way to get better. :)
You're actually one of the people I wanna play most, your Young Link in Melee was genius!
I wonder how well of a connection I'll get from Cali to Idaho...

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Well, I just hope my connection remains solid all the way through Brawl. So far, my Strikers experience has been stellar, but school has caused a spike in Internet activity, thus causing lag spikes.

I'll play when I can! I look forward to playing everyone! ^_^

And dang, only 64 friend slots? Maybe everyone should make a signup list. XD

Salaad

Smash Ace
Theres one thing I hope Online will have. In the update, there has been said that there will be more revelead. I hope that the stages aren't entirely random. Though that's not such a big thing, I really care for an items toggle on or off.
In one of the pictures it shows that Player 3 is choosing a stage. Maybe it IS random. WHO CARES?! FC's FTW!!!!

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Well, I just hope my connection remains solid all the way through Brawl. So far, my Strikers experience has been stellar, but school has caused a spike in Internet activity, thus causing lag spikes.

I think the regional zones already made 'em =/

oh well, might as well use em.

Chaudgobay

Smash Apprentice
the 100th update was so nice

everyone hoped the brawl have wifi, now the confirmation of this is wonderful

why december is so far
=(

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277

i am looking forward to fighting a master in person

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
In one of the pictures it shows that Player 3 is choosing a stage. Maybe it IS random. WHO CARES?! FC's FTW!!!!
Brawl's Wi-Fi will most likely work like Mario Kart DS' Wi-Fi play did. Everyone chooses their character and then vote on a stage. The most requested gets the play.

Or, it could work like a chance system. For when a stage is picked, it gets a 25% chance out of a possible 100%. Two people picking the same stage gives 50%, three gives 75%. That, to me, is a better system.

altir

Smash Apprentice
on the 3/ 64 delema, it could be showing the first 3 of the 64 friends he has. did anyone notice the arrows in the icon screen's background. could be the taunt message select screen.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Probably as good as could have been reasonably expected.

I have a pretty strong feeling that "With Anyone" mode will be 4v4 X minute Time Mode only, with no customization aside from voting on a stage. Probably with all items on, unless they impact the lag a lot, in which case they could just as easily be always off. (I really hope that it doesn't use the Mario Kart voting system though...if two people like the same stage, and neither of the other two do, you'll get the bad stage every single time unless the other two agree on a second option. It should be random, weighted by number of votes, so two votes means two chances to be chosen.) The way Sakurai is talking, lag might be catastrophically bad (by Smash standards, anyway), though he may have just been being paranoid about it. And with no background ranking system, who knows what the odds are of ever playing anyone near your skill level (whatever it may be) are? I'm keeping my expectations low on this one.

"Friends mode" looks like it should be fully customizable, or at least very nearly so. Lag is probably the only thing that can screw it up, and we don't know how bad that'll be. So, overall good news there.

Honestly, the thing that draws my attention the most is the icon bank. What if those 18 characters are the only ones you start with? You could never fit all the deserving prospective newcomers as secret characters, unless the unlockables outnumbered the starters, which seems unlikely. However, assuming that the franchise icons are at the start of the list and there is only one more row above the current position, that leaves room for 15. This is strange, because there are only 12 franchises represented by the current characters! Even if you assume the Smash icon and maybe Animal Crossing icon are up there, you still haven't caught up. And I don't know if Sakurai would have rearranged the whole thing with Photoshop...the closest thing we've seen to anything like that was when he blurred out the character select screen. I do not know what to believe!

Toologist

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Toologist
3DS FC
0963-1281-8162
I'm glad Sakurai confirmed wi-fi a week before I leave... *points to sig*

Now I need to gather as much friend codes as I can.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
I'm just happy that I wont always have to fight computers.... I want to learn to be amazing, not good at messing up AI.

Though, I do hope for a choice for 1on1 random battles. I also hope you can play stock matches.

Man, I also wonder what will happen with locked characters. Will it be like strikers? (you can play locked characters on wifi from the get go) Or will it be like MetroidPHunters?

I hope every character, item, and stage are able to be used in wifi, otherwise we'd have epic fail on our hands. I do wonder if Captain Falcon and Ness will be unlockable again. My guess is that he covered their icons up with miis untill he's ready to show them.

So many questions!!!
graaa!!!
just show me more Ice Climbers stuff!

hidden

Smash Rookie
What would happen if you taunttalk in the air? Would you still be able to say your text in that case without waiting for the animation?

Top Bottom