• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

Muzga

Smash Ace
Anyone who's good at the game got any problems with the stage list?
Yeah it sucks captain benchmark
Pretend your opinions matter more please
EDIT: You suck at taking feedback. If you dont want it then dont ask for it

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Where? What'd I miss? Stagelist?

Man, I really isolated myself during thsi assignment v.v

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Sorry Pete but your list is unacceptable_ I fail to see why it is necessary to allow stages that have otherwise been banned in previous tournaments for obvious reasons_ Keeping a set list of stages across te board is a much more prefferable choice for tournaments otherwise you cause confusion and unecessary debate over something that has oterwise been accepted by the community_

I can understand your choice to attempt making oter stages viable but those stages have been banned for a reason and going into this discussion again is futile_ The starters here once a problem which has found a comfortable solution, now leading to an overall agreeable stage selection list which is deemed as fairer and much more viable than previous iterations_

I won't be attening your tournament as I'll be busy, but personally wouldn't pay to use your suggested stage list_

Pete278

Smash Lord
And yet you either haven't tried the majority of those stages in a competitive environment, or had them banned for a reason that was unacceptable? Change to improve variety isn't bad by default on a small-scale stage like this, and if people did the same thing you're doing now to Trav's tournaments (which are attempting to improve variety), then the stagelist would've stagnated down to a 3-starter list. Could you provide an argument for the stages you find least acceptable? I will, of course, remove any stages with proper backing.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Hey guys, just dropping in to say hello to Caotic and Micky

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
I was on TeamSpeak with Pete when he made the list and personally found no problem with it. I may even adopt it for my next tournament (you know I love trying new things). If you're violently opposed to something then bring forth the points why it should be banned, if you can prove it comprehensively it will most likely be removed otherwise if that does not convince me then abuse it in tournament to the point where I can no longer maintain it should be legal. Remember the burden of proof is upon those wanting to ban something not keep it.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
ahh so nice and peaceful around here without gaylzi

oi alzi, if you agree that you're gay and should have your name changed to gaylzi, dont post untill at least tomorrow

if you guys want feedback from people who arnt involved in your smash scene and therefore have no real reason to give their opinion, post up this allerged 'stupid' stagelist

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Starter:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1
Halberd

Counterpicks:
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Green Greens
Hanenbow
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokemon Stadium 2
Port Town Aero Dive
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Melee)

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
that is a good idea, and I can apprciate the thought behind it, however the counter argument of course, is that that idea has been tried out the world over and they've all come to the same conclusion more or less.

yoshi's island (pipes) has never been borderling though, green greens promotes heavy camping and the explosive blocks (and normal ones that you can hit and survive where you would normally have died) are a level of unpredictable luck that adds too much random chance to matches, the apples are the same, but to less of an extent, port town aero dive is too disruptive, again the cars and stage changing (wrong place at the wrong time can easily get you killed) add too much random chance

luigi's mansion has a whole page full of unfair tactics and advantages, although if not abused its not really that bad of a stage, norfair same thing

Pete278

Smash Lord
Pipes was voted counterpick/borderline in the last stage vote, and therefore is borderline. Promoting heavy camping is not a bad thing, as camping/turtling isn't the devil, and is simply the antithesis to rushdown. Not all stages have to be rushdown-favouring, and if FD is banned, the options aren't too wide for non-projectile based camping strategies, which is a bad thing, even if it may make the game more exciting to observers. I don't think Port Town is really viable either, but its worth giving it a shot.

For the last bit, define 'unfair'.

Pete278

Smash Lord
It means that if both characters can do the 'unfair' actions, then they aren't unfair. Majority of characters can abuse the solid floor in Luigi's and the ledges on Norfair, and the ones that can't are already unviable.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
you misunderstand, it doesnt mean anything in that its not a solution to the problem, saying that unfair actions arent unfair because the other player 'can' do them (read: just so happens to pick the same character) is silly.

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
In other news Im here to post

Tails is going to The New Port in fremantle as a going away thing on wednesday, so people who are over 18 should go see him :p Plus Ill be there!

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Luke has made pretty clear a few arguments that do not need repeating_ I'm in agreement with him on this topic and thanks for clarifying it_ As Luke mentioned, I can also appreciate why you are trying this but it won't prove anything except what's already been proven wrong with it_ The stages have been tried, tested and found unsuitable for tournament use_ I wouldn't be against them otherwise_ If you still require evidence i'm sure posts will be dug up and linked on this, although i doubt the discussion should be taken that far_

Marteh when is Tails leaving_?

Pete278

Smash Lord
you misunderstand, it doesnt mean anything in that its not a solution to the problem, saying that unfair actions arent unfair because the other player 'can' do them (read: just so happens to pick the same character) is silly.
Characters that can't combo off the roof (which are really few and far between) can still use the roof to survive alot longer than they would normally. Its not like only one character can abuse the stage.

EDIT: Also, rabble rabble rabble.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I'm talking alittle more generally then abusing the roof on luigi's mansion (although that is one of the problems)

MTGod

Smash Champion
It means that if both characters can do the 'unfair' actions, then they aren't unfair. Majority of characters can abuse the solid floor in Luigi's and the ledges on Norfair, and the ones that can't are already unviable.
Characters that can't combo off the roof (which are really few and far between) can still use the roof to survive alot longer than they would normally. Its not like only one character can abuse the stage.
So make Bridge of Eldin legal - nothing's stopping both players from picking D3 and abusing the walk off... Better yet, make all stages legal; everyone has access to the same character list and are playing on the same stage, so nothing is unfair...

/sarcasm :p

And also, because characters are "unviable" does that really give you a right to disregard them when making decisions like this??? Doing so will only make these characters more unviable, so you're essentially making the very problem that you complain about regarding Brawl worse...

Anyway, can't come to the New Port - working league that night :( TELL HIM TO COME TO FOTO ON THURSDAY FOR AT LEAST A COUPLE OF HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GRAAAAAARHHH!!!!

Pete278

Smash Lord
I'm talking alittle more generally then abusing the roof on luigi's mansion (although that is one of the problems)
Then raise some more points. I can't argue against evidence you don't present.

EDIT: At Jesse, the unviable characters I'm talking about are pretty much unsalvageable in their current states, and attempts to save them would weaken the competitive nature of the game. For instance, there's nothing in the game that could let Zelda win a national, and trying to bend the rules to let her so would be futile. Thus, the best course of action for variety would be to increase the stage list without neutralizing the low tiers that are viable, which the stages that I'm in favour of don't do. For instance, Green Greens, being a bad stage for MK, allows alot of low tier characters to actually counterpick against MK, as opposed to before we're they'd be forced to go to a stage which was easily in MK's favour.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Hanenbow is most definitely a banned stage.
For good reason.

Your stage list otherwise is very liberal and if that is what you are aiming for I am all for it.
Overswarm would be proud.

Except for maybe YI Pipes.

And green greens is a mad legit stage, I so want it back as legal in singles ;)

Pete278

Smash Lord
There's a guy I want to play Samus in singles, because its hilarious and timing people out with a bad character is funny. That's mostly why I'm leaving it for testing, since I doubt anyone here has the guts to abuse it and be punched in the gut by Techno.

Pete278

Smash Lord
All the people who would abuse it probably won't be able to make it, though, and everyone else here plays with a false sense of honour.

EDIT: Plus, it'll probably be proven broken and dropped anyway. I don't exactly plan on keeping it in due to some sort of nostalgic attachment or some such, don't get me wrong.

Tails.

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, as Marty has told you all im having a goodbye gathering in fremantle, 7pm at Little creatures then we will hit up newport till late, all of you are welcomed to come itd be awesome to see you all before I head off, if not all the best guys.

Top Bottom