• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vote for Smash 4 at EVO 2015!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
It's difficult to do two games when there are a lot of other games. Plus, Smash takes longer.
Most of the time is takes longer is because of bad organisation between players. and I'm sure the EVO Tos would be willing to listen to enough voices.

Einyuri

Smash Cadet
You're all mad.

Why is there such a divide here? Why can't we ban together to ask for both games?
It's just that there are some people that like their game to be showed more than another. Where they come from is understandable. I mean, if there was a choice between your favorite game being shown or another which would you pick?

But I see where you're coming from and I agree. So long as it's Smash at EVO then I don't mind at all.

But there is an obvious divide between Smash games, that much is true unfortunately.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Both would definitely be best, and that will probably be what will happen. The poll won't directly affect what gets put at Evo but is rather there in interest to see what people think. And I think Smash 4 should be shown support.

D

Deleted member 245254

Reading the comments of that article really makes me hope that many of those posters aren't users here, because I would be ashamed to be supportive of a community that houses such spoiled and ignorant brats.

Not only did the entire community band together to get Melee back in to EVO a couple of years ago, but Nintendo went all out in their support of the competitive scene riding the release of this game...and you want to turn around and spit on all of the people including Nintendo themselves, and throw their game out to slaughter before it even gets its time to shine? Just pathetic. It's this kind of stuff that creates the divide, because there's inevitably going to be a large amount of people that can't possibly be so damn selfish.

Last edited by a moderator:

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
spoiled and ignorant brats.
Nintendo went all out in their support of the competitive scene riding the release of this game
you want to turn around and spit on all of the people
Just pathetic.
throw their game out to slaughter before it even gets its time to shine?
can't possibly be so damn selfish as the Melee people seem to be.
rofl, 10 more years
>I think I died reading that out loud with the italicized words
>who are you actually even talking about?

D

Deleted member 245254

rofl, 10 more years
>I think I died reading that out loud with the italicized words
>who are you actually even talking about?
The people in the comments of the EVO article, I thought that was made pretty clear by me directly naming them as my target in the post you haphazardly truncated.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
While I definitely like Smash 4 more as a game I still voted Melee, I believe it's in the community's best interest to not cause a humongous divide between the Melee and Smash 4 fans this early, and replacing Melee at its biggest tournament of the year will surely do just that. Meanwhile it doesn't hurt to give Smash 4 time to develop before throwing it out on big scenes like this, I don't believe it can be as entertaining so early in its lifespan, it'll need one or two years on its back first.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
While I definitely like Smash 4 more as a game I still voted Melee, I believe it's in the community's best interest to not cause a humongous divide between the Melee and Smash 4 fans this early, and replacing Melee at its biggest tournament of the year will surely do just that. Meanwhile it doesn't hurt to give Smash 4 time to develop before throwing it out on big scenes like this, I don't believe it can be as entertaining so early in its lifespan, it'll need one or two years on its back first.
It 8 months after the game is released, for the Wii-U version. That's plenty of time for people to figure some things out. When ever another fighting game gets a new game the old gets replaced wuth the new no matter how early it is. Smash 4 should be given a chance.

I'm not even saying to replace Melee. But Smash4 is the new game and it should be given the chance to shine.

ferioku

Smash Ace
Warning Received
All these melee drones are idiots, they get all happy when Nintendo sponsors them, but bash their game. Ungrateful!

Tried my best not to say something out of line, but I couldn't help myself.
I love melee, but hate the community. They are the ones ruining everything. If they continue to bash Smash 4 and ruin Smash 4, I'm sure Nintendo will stop supporting them. Won't bother me in the slightest either way...

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Melee is boring af.

I dunno what's so fun about watching two characters speed around like race cars until one gets knocked off the stage at 30% and is edgehogged.

#not hype

Smash 4 is it's own game, anyone who thinks it is Brawl v2 is clearly an idiot or a troll lol.

Crabman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pipopolus
Looks like ssb4 is making a comeback, it was at 47% when I voted. I think there's more ssb4 fans then there are melee fans, we just need to make sure all the ssb4 players know about evo

AIM0001

Smash Lord
The Wii U version isn't even out yet? Has enough pros even played it to determine if it's EVO ready? That being said I would love to have Smash 4 in.

Braggins

Smash Apprentice
Evo is not the right place for Smash 4 to get the exposure you want. It could be a negative thing for the game and the smash community in general to put it on display in that kind of environment. It took years for the fighting game community to even come around on Melee. I think some of you have this idea that all Smash 4 needs is a chance and if it gets into Evo it will show everyone how good the game is and create all kinds of hype but if anything the exact opposite will happen. I'm sorry and I'm not trying to hate on your game but based on what we have seen it is highly likely that community is not going to like this game and all featuring it at Evo will do is highlight the problems and reaffirm everything the fighting game community has always thought about Smash. I know you guys are excited about this game but given what people expect to see at Evo this game will likely be a huge letdown as far as the actual matches. If you want there to be any chance for this game the last thing you should all want is to create a chance for the game to get exposed in a sense before the smash 4 community has a chance to try to advance the game to a point where it is watchable (assuming that is even possible). Even if they use a good rule set this could be just as bad if not worse than when Brawl was at Evo and could lead to that community disregarding us again like they traditionally have. If Smash 4 has any kind of future as a competitive game it should have to earn its place in the competitive community instead of just being forced like Brawl was because it is the new game. That literally almost destroyed the community. If the game is released and people figure out new stuff and it turns out to actually be a good competitive game then so be it. However, I don't see why we should force a completely unproven game that was specifically designed not to be a competitive game to represent Smash at the biggest competitive fighting game tournament in the world when Melee has already proven itself as a competitive powerhouse that gets as much hype as any game featured at Evo. Smash 4 is going to get its shot and I'm positive all Smash events of any consequence will be running it and giving it a chance to shine and if it is a good game it will get its due credit. Ideally Smash 4 could be run as a side event at Evo to get the game exposure but Melee is the main reason ANY Smash game is being invited to Evo so it would really send a bad message to exclude it for Smash 4 at the biggest and most hype tournament of the year.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I go to Evo all the time. I saw Melee at Evo 14, and while it was fun I think I'd like to see and compete in 4 this time instead. I love melee, a lot, but I'd rather see the new game right now.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Melee is boring af.

I dunno what's so fun about watching two characters speed around like race cars until one gets knocked off the stage at 30% and is edgehogged.

#not hype

Smash 4 is it's own game, anyone who thinks it is Brawl v2 is clearly an idiot or a troll lol.
Brawl is boring af.

I dunno what's so fun about watching two characters move around like turtles until time runs out or someone gives up.

#nothype

Smash games are fun to watch no matter what title it is. Anyone who hates on a specific one of them is clearly an idiot or a troll lol.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Definitely going to vote for Smash 4. It outright deserves a full try. Regardless of how it goes.

Meelow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meelow
Guessing a horde of Melee Evo fans found the poll, Melee has 3000 more votes.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I'm a Melee>Brawl guy and even I'm hoping that something knocks Melee off of its high horse.

I just don't have fun at all watching a 13 year old game. If it was PM instead of Melee then sure go for it but ugh.

Braggins

Smash Apprentice
A game doesn't maintain a community for 13 years without being extremely good. The Smash tournament scene almost completely died because of Brawl but in 2015 Smash is going to be represented at Evo because of Melee. Not because of Smash 64 or Brawl or the unreleased Smash 4. Smash hasn't traditional been represented at Evo at all and Melee didn't earn its spot just to pave the way for what is basically a completely unrelated game (from a gameplay and design standpoint) to be gifted its place just because it happens to technically be from the same series. It obviously would not be wise move for the sake of the community to basically cancel the most hyped tournament of the year for the game that is currently carrying the competitive smash scene to feature a currently unreleased game that was specifically designed to not be competitive. At the very least you have to admit that we currently do no know how good Smash 4 will be as far as watch-ability and tournament viability so it is honestly really presumptuous to assume that Smash 4 should take priority at of all places Evo. Smash 4 is going to get its chance to shine if it is a good enough game. The Melee community in general isn't against the new game and it will be at all the big Smash events along with all the other games. If people want to play it and watch it and go to tournaments for it they will. If the game is good enough it will thrive.

Last edited:

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Reading the comments of that article really makes me hope that many of those posters aren't users here, because I would be ashamed to be supportive of a community that houses such spoiled and ignorant brats.

Not only did the entire community band together to get Melee back in to EVO a couple of years ago, but Nintendo went all out in their support of the competitive scene riding the release of this game...and you want to turn around and spit on all of the people including Nintendo themselves, and throw their game out to slaughter before it even gets its time to shine? Just pathetic. It's this kind of stuff that creates the divide, because there's inevitably going to be a large amount of people that can't possibly be so damn selfish as the Melee people seem to be.
Remember, the Melee community worked hard to wriggle its way into the competitive spot light. Melee's meta game grew rapidly during its five year journey to MLG 2006; hallmark competitive techniques were being discovered left, right, and center as Melee established its self. This development was built on the shoulders of community leadership.

What has Smash 4 or its community (which has no face yet) done to deserve a spot at the world's largest fighting game tournament?

Right off the bat, Smash 4 is shaping up to be a lot like Brawl. The greater Smash scene arduously and decisively repudiated campy Smash Bros., so Smash 4 has the marked duty of proving its self negatively, that is, prove that it's not like Brawl. And before anybody starts shouting burden of proof, I can indeed cite mechanical facts which show Smash 4 has the same campy qualities as Brawl. The Smash 4 community's best bet, in my opinion, is to find deep complexity in character balance. That may, firstly, never happen, or will probably take time, maybe even five or more years. This is why I don't think Smash 4 deserves a spot at EVO 2015.

I find it funny that you call Melee supporters spoiled. You paint a picture in which the Melee community depends on Nintendo even though our esteemed parent never acknowledged us up until this past year. Really, Nintendo is like the truant father who only bothered to show up when his child, the Melee community, proved it could score him some extra cash (see the madly promotional E3 tournament.) The Melee community's success is its own. Clambering for Smash 4 OVER Melee at EVO 2015 is a way more spoiled proposition than wanting Melee OVER Smash 4. As I've said, Smash 4 is unproven and resembles its red-headed predecessor. As it stands, if the Smash 4 community makes it to EVO 2015 , it will be the only blatantly leeching party, seeing as its only evidence of success is its older brother's. In keeping with the dysfunctional family analogy: Smash 4 pining for Melee's position is like the naive Fredo taking aim at his veteran brother, Michael. Watch The God Father Part II to see how that turns out.

Last edited:

Braggins

Smash Apprentice
I find it funny that you call Melee supporters spoiled. You paint a picture in which the Melee community depends on Nintendo even though our esteemed parent never acknowledged us up until this past year. Really, Nintendo is like the truant father who only bothered to show up when his child, the Melee community, proved it could score him some extra cash (see the madly promotional E3 tournament.) The Melee community's success is its own. Clambering for Smash 4 OVER Melee at EVO 2015 is a way more spoiled proposition than wanting Melee OVER Smash 4. As I've said, Smash 4 is unproven and resembles its red-headed predecessor. As it stands, if the Smash 4 community makes it to EVO 2015 , it will be the only blatantly leeching party, seeing as its only evidence of success is its older brother's. In keeping with the dysfunctional family analogy: Smash 4 pining for Melee's position is like the naive Fredo taking aim at his veteran brother, Michael. Watch The God Father Part II to see how that turns out.
Exactly. The only reason Smash 4 even has a chance to be at Evo now or in the future is the work and dedication of the Melee community to re-establish Melee as a tournament powerhouse and put smash in general back on the map. It has nothing to do with the other games or the series in general. Evo's purpose isn't to show off Nintendo's newest smash game. It is a tournament to showcase the best fighting games and players in the world and Melee earned its inclusion. Now the Melee community is apparently supposed to step aside (again) and let Smash 4 become the face of the series for no reason other than it is new and to give it a chance despite it being completely unproven and based on a game and design philosophy that almost completely destroyed the perception of the smash series as viable tournament games. Somehow in this scenario the Melee community is selfish and unreasonable for wanting to be rewarded for its own success rather than forcing and facilitating a transition to Smash 4 by losing their hypest tournament of the year and giving the Smash 4 community the spot they have earned at the biggest fighting game tournament in the world. It is pretty unbelievable really.

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Brawl is boring af.

I dunno what's so fun about watching two characters move around like turtles until time runs out or someone gives up.

#nothype

Smash games are fun to watch no matter what title it is. Anyone who hates on a specific one of them is clearly an idiot or a troll lol.
-_- Please don't embarrass yourself like that. If people don't like watching Smash, they aren't idiots, they just hold a different preference than you.

Not only did the entire community band together to get Melee back in to EVO a couple of years ago, but Nintendo went all out in their support of the competitive scene riding the release of this game...and you want to turn around and spit on all of the people including Nintendo themselves, and throw their game out to slaughter before it even gets its time to shine? Just pathetic. It's this kind of stuff thatcreates the divide, because there's inevitably going to be a large amount of people that can't possibly be so damn selfish as the Melee people seem to be.
You've really done goofed on this post, Zipzo. Calling people spoiled for not accepting something that's being shoved down their face? I'm sorry, but no. The Melee community, love it or hate it, are not spoiled brats, they are a group of people who have worked hard to make it where they are now. Not long ago, they were the laughing stock of the Fighting game community, but due to their efforts in getting their game, and scene exposure, they've managed to show people Smash is a competitively viable game. The only reason Smash 4 has any chance at being at Evo is because of their efforts. They shouldn't be forced to pick up the flavor of the month just because Nintendo wants them to. Smash 4 needs to earn its spot on Evo, it needs to prove its a competitively viable game to the community, not be shoe horned in just because its new.

Last edited:

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
-_- Please don't embarrass yourself like that. If people don't like watching Smash, they aren't idiots, they just hold a different preference than you.

You've really done goofed on this post, Zipzo. Calling people spoiled for not accepting something that's being shoved down their face? I'm sorry, but no. The Melee community, love it or hate it, are not spoiled brats, they are a group of people who have worked hard to make it where they are now. Not long ago, they were the laughing stock of the Fighting game community, but due to their efforts in getting their game, and scene exposure, they've managed to show people Smash is a competitively viable game. The only reason Smash 4 has any chance at being at Evo is because of their efforts. They shouldn't be forced to pick up the flavor of the month just because Nintendo wants them to. Smash 4 needs to earn its spot on Evo, it needs to prove its a competitively viable game to the community, not be shoe horned in just because its new.
Ah guess Street Fighter, Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat X, GGXRD better earn that spot too huh? They gotta fight to get in too right, that's what you typed here.
Other fighting games get the VIP free pass and for some reason Smash 4 needs to prove itself. Nice double standards there dude.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Ah guess Street Fighter, Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat X, GGXRD better earn that spot too huh? They gotta fight to get in too right, that's what you typed here.
Other fighting games get the VIP free pass and for some reason Smash 4 needs to prove itself. Nice double standards there dude.
Uhh, yeah, they do have to work for it, but because people are already wanting them in. VF 5 was a great game, but people didn't want to play it. Like I said this is a COMMUNITY event, that's why those games you mentioned are going to have better shots at Evo, because people are already convinced into playing them.

D

Deleted member 245254

I'm sorry but there is enough precedence with EVO to confidently say that a game doesn't really need to "prove its worth" before it gets a chance at EVO lime light.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Clash' Tournaments Smash 3DS invitational begs to differ with that 'can't be entertaining' bit...

The fact that you're calling Smash4 the 'flavor of the month' tells me all I need to know, you don't like Smash, you like Melee. Smash4 should be given a chance at EVO this year to help it develop a competitive scene, we've already seen slow matches, fast matches, rushdown matches, camping matches with the few tournaments that are up on YouTube, nobody should be questioning that Smash4 IS competitively viable, especially because it's the first game in the series to be developed with the competitive community in mind, just let that sink in...

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Clash' Tournaments Smash 3DS invitational begs to differ with that 'can't be entertaining' bit...

The fact that you're calling Smash4 the 'flavor of the month' tells me all I need to know, you don't like Smash, you like Melee. Smash4 should be given a chance at EVO this year to help it develop a competitive scene, we've already seen slow matches, fast matches, rushdown matches, camping matches with the few tournaments that are up on YouTube, nobody should be questioning that Smash4 IS competitively viable, especially because it's the first game in the series to be developed with the competitive community in mind, just let that sink in...
Uhh, no. I love Smash 4, but in the context of a competitive circle, its currently a flavour of the month kind of game(like Sfxt was). Also if it were up to me, I would have Smash 4 at Evo. But you need to realize, Evo is a community based event, its up to the community to want it at Evo, and how things are going, I am confident it will. My point isn't that Smash 4 doesn't deserve to be at Evo, but that don't be butthurt if it doesn't, as the communtiy will have spoken. If you want Smash 4 at Evo so bad, enter, and help contribute to the effort, its how Melee got in, and Smash 4 must earn the right all the same.

Last edited:

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I'm sorry but there is enough precedence with EVO to confidently say that a game doesn't really need to "prove its worth" before it gets a chance at EVO lime light.
I don't think there have been many fresh games at EVO that have been openly developed as non-competitive fighters. New Mortal Kombats, Street Fighters, and Tekkens get free passes because there are dozens of entries between those series, and almost all of them have been developed with competitive game play in mind.

Recall Brawl being ridiculed out of EVO 2008. You could blame that on the items and you could also blame it on an undeveloped meta game. However, it's pretty obvious that fighting games with infrequent player interaction aren't appreciated at EVO. I can almost guarantee you that Smash 4 won't receive a warm reception at EVO, especially if its played like the E3 invitational grand finals. The campy style Zero used to win (and the questionable decision to wear a scarf) made the Smash community hate on him. At a tourney like EVO, that play style would funnel so much spite against Smash 4 that it may be better for the community to rely on stuff like Nintendo sponsored events (see Pokemon VGC) for now. Should Smash 4 prove to be an exciting competitive game in the future, then it should by all means get a spot at EVO.

Also, as I mentioned in my other post, there's no way Smash 4 in its current state deserves to be at EVO over Melee.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Brawl is boring af.

#nothype

A Melee match that takes 1 min due to edgehog "skills" or a slower 3-4 min match where the players actually fight...hmm...

I don't enjoy watching Melee or Brawl anymore, so here's hoping the new game is featured.

Last edited:

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
Why the **** can't you have both? I voted Smash 4 because I'm interested in seeing how it would turn out in tourney form.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Seriously, ew at Melee winning. Smash 4 is new, it deserves a shot. If it's crap, we can go back to Melee, but it deserves to be tried out first.

Eastmangoboy

Smash Rookie
I want to vote for Smash 4, but....

Smash 4 was made with intention of not being competitive. Looking at the 3DS tournament and E3 invitational suggests that. The Hungrybox vs. Zero finale made me cringe... especially when Zero was running down the clock to get a better chance with Sudden Death.

I really want a new Smash to take the reigns as the game to be featured at competitions like Evo. New, more usable characters, better graphics, and just a change of pace? Yes please! However, Smash 4 does have to prove with game mechanics that it can be viable.
I doubt Smash 4 will be like Brawl with things like Metaknight (overall horrible character balance), tripping, and super campy gameplay. However, Sakurai's dislike for competitive play and enthusiasm in getting even your mom to play Smash makes me think he didn't change much from the E3 invitational.

Last edited:

ferioku

Smash Ace
Well, looks like Smash 4 isn't going to make it. Melee supporters will continue to bash the game even when they are getting another chance at EVO, I guarantee it will happen. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom