• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Villager Video Thread

HowaitoKumaSan

Smash Apprentice
Went to my first offline tournament in quite a while (no thanks to work grumble grumble). Beat a Bowser Jr. on stream, but lost to my region's ranked Shiek badly. Made me realize I don't know the Shiek matchup at all, and one of the other ranked guys I know was telling me afterwards that there's no real easy way to fight Shiek as Villager. Any advice would be fantastic.

As for the footage: http://www.twitch.tv/showdownsmash/v/4012345

Bowser Jr. fight is around the 1hour40minute mark.
Shiek fight is around 2hour3minute mark.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Went to my first offline tournament in quite a while (no thanks to work grumble grumble). Beat a Bowser Jr. on stream, but lost to my region's ranked Shiek badly. Made me realize I don't know the Shiek matchup at all, and one of the other ranked guys I know was telling me afterwards that there's no real easy way to fight Shiek as Villager. Any advice would be fantastic.

As for the footage: http://www.twitch.tv/showdownsmash/v/4012345

Bowser Jr. fight is around the 1hour40minute mark.
Shiek fight is around 2hour3minute mark.
fighting sheik? good luck.

lol, that's it.

Ironically nair is good vs Sheik, I'd fight a Sheik head-on. Our aerials have hgiher priority, and come out just as fast, and she can't deal much damage from close-range.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
(is it too early to post more villy viddies?)

son... dont you be taunting till you see that blast zone go blasting by me blasting by the blast zone.
(i love teching the bottom of the stage, makes me feel so epic)

Last edited:

skillskillfiretruck

Smash Journeyman
Just won my 13th smash 4 tourney primarily with Villager.
here is the twitch stream: http://www.twitch.tv/perthsmash/b/651479820

Interesting times to check out of the stream save-
1:41:23 Pretty sick games with my villager against Ziv's Jigglypuff.
at 1:45:55 I lose my first stock, but notice the gyroid coming back onto stage as I respawn.
Usually I get saved by spawning the gyroid cause it stops my momentum, it even made the summoning sound, this is quite rare.
I lose my second stock to a rest's invisible frame(s) trading with my nair. heaps nice. Next game is nothing special.

Grandfinals at 2:59:11 There a few times where Polaroid's Link sweets spots the ledge to avoid the bowling ball. Pretty nice thing that a lot of people need to know about.
Pretty much- leave enough space, and auto snap onto the edge sort of thing, but also being level or a bit higher with the ledge.
If I read that however, I could go for another move such as dair or nair.
Here is a sweet spot recovery by the Link against bowling ball: 3:13:40.
3:30:35 The watering can water reflects Link's bomb; interesting.
3:37:04 is another good Sweet spot recovery by Link against bowling ball, where he also manages to hit me once with his up+B.

cree318

Smash Cadet
NNID
cree318
3DS FC
0301-9783-2199
From the 4/7/15 Smash 4 at Xanadu

One of the most hype match I've ever played. Villy dittos are just so amazing!

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo

This is really hype. How do you use Down air so well?

I need to use Jab more.

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
Repost due to new, High quality video links. I was wondering If I could receive input from you guys, so I can improve and use all of Villager's tools.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7wlQW0MLkIyqC-AN3iS-mwJ_-PCzJ9fO

There are 4 matches.

Villager vs Shiek (in BF)
Villager vs Shiek (in Town and City)
Villager vs Diddy (Delfino)
Villager vs Mario (BF)

I hope it's interesting to watch, I have a long way to go before I ''git gud''.

Thank you and have a great day.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766

As my wii u can no longer access the internet, i am forced to scout my 3ds for replays

(Darn mewtwo glitch)

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051

Hype
noun
noun: hype
extravagant or intensive publicity or promotion.
this battle

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
Am I improving? (HQ Video)

(If anyone has critique, please share it so I can improve, thank you!)

Last edited:
Not tournament stuff and not offline but I finally managed to get some plays recorded thanks to @Locuan! Watch them here and criticise me because I wanna improve -

http://www.twitch.tv/locuan/b/653779911 (Villager play begins at 22:50, ignore my terrible WFT at the beginning)

http://www.twitch.tv/locuan/b/653789214 (Villager play ends at 10:32, after that its just Mewtwo stuff)

Locuan already told me I should play less aggressively with custom Villager, which I should considering I'm playing as though I had Sheik's aerials. Also I need to stop overestimating UTilt's vertical range, lmao

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
Not tournament stuff and not offline but I finally managed to get some plays recorded thanks to @Locuan! Watch them here and criticise me because I wanna improve -

http://www.twitch.tv/locuan/b/653779911 (Villager play begins at 22:50, ignore my terrible WFT at the beginning)

http://www.twitch.tv/locuan/b/653789214 (Villager play ends at 10:32, after that its just Mewtwo stuff)

Locuan already told me I should play less aggressively with custom Villager, which I should considering I'm playing as though I had Sheik's aerials. Also I need to stop overestimating UTilt's vertical range, lmao
I just want to say that I wish I was as creative as you with the character. How do you use D-tilt so well without getting punished?

Another thing is that your spotdodges are on point, but I can't spotdodge myself for some reason. I usually don't know when to do it without getting punished.

Even though I can't give much advice because I'm probably not in the position to give you advice, You should (try to) fire a lloid whenever you get launched. The Side b stops your momentum and helps you survive.

So whenever you get launched, spam side b and when you stop, hold the stick towards the stage to avoid going into the blastzone accidentally. You can also do side b towards the blastzone to allow the side b to respawn; Like @zeezee does.

This trick helps me survive at really high percent and it applies to gimps and other things (when there is too much lag to tech, this may work instead of the usual airdodge many people do).

I'm uploading some tournament matches I played this weekend.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNX4AF-_45VpolXcsSi-nVTi9adru8b-9
(I'm uploading them)
I will appreciate some tips about my villager style
I'm analyzing these videos so hard. How do you land so many D-tilts? Is the move really good as a way to accumulate damage?

I want to believe that the reason you can link so many fairs is because it's offline, not because of autocancels, which I already learned.

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Alright. Everyone asked for it. So I decided to start a series were I challenge @zeezee to Smash duels. Enjoy the first round! I shall upload the second round next week!

Anchor: 0
Zee: 1

Last edited:

Kohak

Smash Apprentice
Here are some matches from an invitational I attended. Won some, lost some. Any advice?

Rexy D

Smash Rookie
Hey y'all. Here's a couple videos of me playing from the NorCal weekly, Come on and Ban.

Crow did a really good job of calling me out for recovering low :'(

Any tips would be appreciated!

Last edited:

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Alright. Everyone asked for it. So I decided to start a series were I challenge @zeezee to Smash duels. Enjoy the first round! I shall upload the second round next week!

Anchor: 0
Zee: 1
No offense bro...But you got bopped lol.

I probably wouldn't do any better though.

ChuteTheMessenger

Village's Strongest Hitman
Hey y'all. Here's a couple videos of me playing from the NorCal weekly, Come on and Ban.

Crow did a really good job of calling me out for recovering low :'(

Any tips would be appreciated!
Re: final match vs Peach. Crow won because he adapted. He was playing more patiently, making less mistakes, and baiting with dash shields + fadeback float into fair. On the last set, when you both were going toe to toe first stock and Crow had just closed your percent lead with two fairs, that would have been the perfect time to mix it up. Instead of dash away and b-reversing the Lloyd, dash behind him then b reverse Lloyd. Or, dash past him then turn around nair. Also, when you see him approaching with floating dair, full hop dair. Generally, SH dair is not a good approach or response against Peach because she has so many powerful OOS options to beat you out or trade when you're in her space, but mixing it up with full hops and creative angles is a good way to get in your opponent's head. Also, when you see her fadeback float to bait you so she can land a fair, run up and SH upair into another upair.

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Finally able to upload wii u vids after mewtwos glitchy release.

Take a look at these wonderful villager moments

funny thing happened with this ko punch. Lol

Boom! Tech a stage spike and punish the ledge regrab in the most spectaular way possible.

Lemme just snatch that bowling ball whilst my lloid covers my snaching

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i doth apologize for thine posteth of the doubling kind
but on a random for glory match i met @AceStarThe3rd

so i just wanted to leave you a shout out cuz i follow your youtube channel :)

gg by the way ( i was villager)

Last edited:

De Wolfe

Smash Cadet
Hey, I heard a Villager player won the recent 'KVO' tournament in japan. Was apparently one of the biggest Smash events Japan has had recently. Are there any videos of the tournament floating around?

Edit:

The Villager player was Ranai. Found the archive for the tournament

http://www.twitch.tv/shi_gaming/b/655977080

He managed to beat a ZSS and a Sonic in top 3 according to Eventhubs results which is impressive, although the archive doesn't seem to show Grand finals or Losers Finals.

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
yes, i planned releasing the pocketed boomerang and using its return windbox to pull the link over the edge so i could up air him.

oh my gosh, this guy was spamming flip kick so much (and down air). i played this guy for a lot longer than i should have. but this is the only replay i saved.

tried going zero suit against him later, but i think my villager vs zss is a better matchup than zss vs zss.

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
Hey, y'all. I've been a diehard Villager main since the demo came out and words can't even describe how much I love him. I've also been lurking around Smashboards since release, and now I've made a montage video! I hope you like it, and now that I'm no longer a lurker you can expect a lot of posts from me.

It's basically a lot of trees. One of the keys to mastering Villager is to know your tree mindgames. When to go for grow KOs (against Sheik, Fox, etc.) or how to bait the opponent into thinking you won't chop it down just yet (like when I jump up and launch a Gyroid as a distraction).

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I usually launch gyroid over the tree to block jump overs. But the occasional tree into lloid is also fun.

Nice sound effect.

And up air strings all day!

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Nice vid! And welcome to the Villager boards, enjoy your stay. :)

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
I usually launch gyroid over the tree to block jump overs. But the occasional tree into lloid is also fun.

Nice sound effect.

And up air strings all day!
Everyone underestimates how influential an attack's duration is. Even the auto-dodging AI can get frame trapped by a lot of Villager's attacks.

Top Bottom