• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Warning Received
and tournament results.
How can you say that tiers aren't solely based around a matchup when SSBB DDD exists? He was a legit gatekeeper lol.

And it's almost been a year. 10 months. We can accurately pin-point who's at the top and who's... Well... Not. At least for the current competitive state of the game.
because brawl wasn't designed well.

The character simply isn't that good / others are better? Cover his usmash once you're at like 120% and this character will never kill you. His aerials are good but top tier characters can cover them with pivot tilts/smashes and his ground options aren't that great. From about 80% or so onwards [basically whenever he can't initiate combos through throws anymore] you can just shield camp the hell out of him because there's nothing he can really pressure you with and the reward from his throws starts to become very unimpressive.

If you can't beat the best, most common character in a game - one that's not very hard to pick up and become good with - then you're not viable. I don't think that's a hard concept to grasp.

:059:
i think a disadvantged MU (counters are a different story) isn't bad. you just have to work a little harder and execute better than sheik.

Last edited by a moderator:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
If you can't beat the best, most common character in a game - one that's not very hard to pick up and become good with - then you're not viable. I don't think that's a hard concept to grasp.

I'm aware. My point of contention is that we don't actually know all the MU's for Sheik for every given character at a high level. That info doesn't exist yet, or at least, doesn't exist across the board to a satisfactory level to make tier placement justifiable. Also, there is a reason I said "solely" in my OP.

EDIT: I'm not sure why what I am saying is not being understood, here. I'm objecting to information overreach leading to weak conclusions. Between you and PK and others in the thread, this should be an easy concept to get.

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
can you clarify whether or not counterpick characters count as tournament viable? my definition of tournament viable is being able to use a character for a majority of your matches and make top 8. the characters that have done this?

:4pacman::4sonic::4sheik::rosalina::4zss::4diddy::4fox::4ness::4pikachu::4mario:(using apex and evo 2015 placements)

honorable mentions go to::4greninja::4gaw::4villager::4wario::4luigi::4olimar:

notable absences::4falcon::4yoshi:

did i miss anything?

Last edited:

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
The character simply isn't that good / others are better? Cover his usmash once you're at like 120% and this character will never kill you. His aerials are good but top tier characters can cover them with pivot tilts/smashes and his ground options aren't that great. From about 80% or so onwards [basically whenever he can't initiate combos through throws anymore] you can just shield camp the hell out of him because there's nothing he can really pressure you with and the reward from his throws starts to become very unimpressive.
Uair kills, bair kills(I think), B-throw kills, D-smash is stupid safe, F-smash is super strong, and he's a gimp master with FLUDD, cape, and fair.

He still has much better range than characters like Fox or maybe Sheik. And he makes up for his lack of range with mobility, frame data, and a pretty good projectile.

From 80% onwards, he could still put you in juggle situations or offstage to edgeguard you.

If you do dair while rising, it's completely safe on shield vs many characters(or at least really tough to punish). Cross-up Nair is pretty cool too.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
because brawl wasn't designed well.
There's a lot of examples from other fighting games of characters that should be theoretically be able to win solo tournaments and are potential high/top but can't because of certain matchups if not just one.

Bison in SF4 is a big one. A character that is pretty much deemed solid and a high tier but has never won a major because of Guile. He isn't viable as a result.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
i think a disadvantged MU (counters are a different story) isn't bad. you just have to work a little harder and execute better than sheik.
I don't know what this has to do with anything I said?

A -1 disadvantaged matchup is perfectly winnable and at top level play you will have to outplay your opponent even in a matchup that's 0 or even +1 in your favor. So yeah, -1 is not the end of the world and unless you have TONS of them they don't make you unviable by default. But once you start to hit the -2 area things start to get a little unrealistic.

I'm aware. My point of contention is that we don't actually know all the MU's for Sheik for every given character at a high level. That info doesn't exist yet, or at least, doesn't exist across the board to a satisfactory level to make tier placement justifiable.
Sure. That's just something we have to deal with though. Tier list changes, new pieces of information will establish themselves in the future ... things change.

But right now this is where we're standing and that's what matters here and now.

Last edited:

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
can you clarify whether or not counterpick characters count as tournament viable? my definition of tournament viable is being able to use a character for a majority of your matches and make top 8. the characters that have done this?

:4pacman::4sonic::4sheik::rosalina::4zss::4diddy::4fox::4ness::4pikachu::4mario:(using apex and evo 2015 placements)

honorable mentions go to::4greninja::4gaw::4villager::4wario::4metaknight::4luigi:

did i miss anything?
Apex is outdated. You can't use it. Too much has changed.

A lot of these characters barely count. If you only have 1 person playing them, you have to wonder if it's the player or the character. Sheik, for example, has seen success everywhere. Pikachu? Rosalina? Pac-man? Not so much.

Who used G&W in top 8? Also, you missed Olimar.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Sure. That's just something we have to deal with though. Tier list changes, new pieces of information will establish themselves in the future ... things change.

But right now this is where we're standing and that's what matters here and now.

I get that, but people read this thread more than post, and information gets disseminated whether or not it is good. Do you know every character MU? Probably not, and neither do I. Which is why I couch most of what I say with language that reflects this.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
well, i just disagree
There's a lot of examples from other fighting games of characters that should be theoretically be able to win solo tournaments and are potential high/top but can't because of certain matchups if not just one.

Bison in SF4 is a big one. A character that is pretty much deemed solid and a high tier but has never won a major because of Guile. He isn't viable as a result.
that definitely isn't a viable reason for bison to be not viable.
pick up ryu.

I don't know what this has to do with anything I said?

A -1 disadvantaged matchup is perfectly winnable and at top level play you will have to outplay your opponent even in a matchup that's 0 or even +1 in your favor. So yeah, -1 is not the end of the world and unless you have TONS of them they don't make you unviable by default. But once you start to hit the -2 area things start to get a little unrealistic.

okay that makes more sense. I was assuming something different

Minordeth

Smash Ace

Yeah, I didn't want to bring in other FGs, but examples like this are primarily why tiers and viability aren't always in lockstep.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Villager is one of the only non-Sheik characters to win big nationals. VERY few characters can make that claim. Yet people are saying he's a counterpick character and barely scrapes high tier. Why? Don't his results clearly contradict that? Isn't he solidly high if not top tier?

Going purely from a results perspective as on paper I don't think Villager is top tier, but the results don't lie.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
A lot of these characters barely count. If you only have 1 person playing them, you have to wonder if it's the player or the character. Sheik, for example, has seen success everywhere. Pikachu? Rosalina? Pac-man? Not so much.
Rosalina has seen success in Chicago, Michigan, California, and somewhat of MD/VA. None of them are Dabuz-level, but they do well. Chicago has Nite, Sage, and Blind, Michigan has Rayquaza and Nom, California has Falln as the most notable and there's BobaTapioca, while MD/VA has SmashG0D. That's 7 players and 8 if you want to add M2K had he not taken a break for health reasons.

Check this thread sometimes: http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-4-power-rankings-directory-project.401710/. There's a lot of Rosalina players seeing success at least in top 10.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
Apex is outdated. You can't use it. Too much has changed.

Who used G&W in top 8? Also, you missed Olimar.
i'm being objective. these characters either made top 8 or made it to top 16/were used as a secondary(thats what honorable mentions is for) in a major tournament. if apex really is too outdated for you, then just read it as the following:

:4zss::4sheik::rosalina::4fox::4ness::4pikachu::4mario:
honorable mentions go to: :4gaw::4villager::4wario::4luigi::4sonic::4diddy::4miibrawl:

oldkingcroz

Smash Apprentice
In a game with over 50 playable characters, saying only solo mains that make it in the top 8 of one specific tournament are the only viable characters- that's crazy. Not every smash player in the world went to EVO, first off, and there are so many variables that can determine how subjectively good a character does at certain tournaments (like EVO). Player skill, matchup knowledge, balance patches, representation, and a little bit of luck were all influential at tournament X's results. Not just the character.

There are more than 8 solo viable characters in this game. Don't underestimate ANYBODY, because you might just be beat by a Game & Watch, DK, or Wii Fit Trainer.

Last edited:

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
In a game with over 50 playable characters, saying only solo mains that make it in the top 8 of one specific tournament are the only viable characters- that's crazy. Not every smash player in the world went to EVO, first off, and there are so many variables that can determine how subjectively good a character does at certain tournaments (like EVO). Player skill, matchup knowledge, balance patches, representation, and a little bit of luck are all influential in tourney results.

There are more than 8 solo viable characters in this game. Don't underestimate ANYBODY, because you might just be beat by a Game & Watch, DK, or Wii Fit Trainer.
I'd like to agree with you, but I find it difficult to believe there are more than 8 characters with no 35:65 or worse matchups, and a majority/the important ones being positive.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Contrary to popular belief aMSa is not the only notable player that uses Greninja. NinjaLink plays him alongside Megaman and Iggy and has said to me that he doesn't really have a main and from what I've seen he just alternates between those three.

He told me he didn't use Greninja at Apex because he still was adjusting to his nerfs IIRC.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Confirming that Ike most likely beats Rosalina. It's not fun.
It's really not a fun MU I played itva couple of weeks ago in tourney. But I don't think she loses the MU. Once you juggle Ike it's pretty much a rap for him. It's pretty hard to edgeguard him. I haven't played the MU too much though.

All this Ike talk makes me wonder if he's as good as people are saying. That's not to say I don't think he's a good character. But it reminds me of the greninja pac man and Yoshi hype. There's strong Ike's but Idk if any of them are dominating their region. Don't really need results but would love to see some high level footage of some of these match ups. If Ike is as good as you guys are claiming he should be a top 5 character based on his MU spread alone m

oldkingcroz

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to agree with you, but I find it difficult to believe there are more than 8 characters with no 35:65 or worse matchups, and a majority/the important ones being positive.
Yoshi, Doc, Ganon, and Pikachu have had their moments of fame in Melee. And it's not like they have a majority of their top tier matchups in their advantage. But, in upsets, the respective mains of these characters have bested top players over the years. And it's not like every single top tier MU they have is 35:65. They might have one or two that are rather poor, a few that are slightly unfavorable, and a bunch of evens. This game is even more balanced than Melee, and a 35:65 [or worse] is much more uncommon (imao). Heck- the DeDeDe boards had a 45:55 for their Sheik MU. That's not even that bad, honestly. With matchup insecurity and practice, the DeDeDe might just beat the Sheik.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
@ A AlMoStLeGeNdArY Wait...Bro...didnt you lose to that really good Ike in NJ at that tourney we were at last month?

And you play Rosalina.

And I beat him. With Ryu. And won that tourney.

RYU FOR TOP TIER!!!!!

But no seriously love you lots Almost.

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
It's really not a fun MU I played itva couple of weeks ago in tourney. But I don't think she loses the MU. Once you juggle Ike it's pretty much a rap for him. It's pretty hard to edgeguard him. I haven't played the MU too much though.

All this Ike talk makes me wonder if he's as good as people are saying. That's not to say I don't think he's a good character. But it reminds me of the greninja pac man and Yoshi hype. There's strong Ike's but Idk if any of them are dominating their region. Don't really need results but would love to see some high level footage of some of these match ups. If Ike is as good as you guys are claiming he should be a top 5 character based on his MU spread alone m
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3VkD5X4ejY Ryo vs Static Manny (Roy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHBZm_DAOm4 Ryo vs Day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrgSNJDC4co Ryo vs Day Continued
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhP-uXjadec Ryo vs Static Manny (Sonic)

Ryo is dominating his region. I can pull up more videos, but those are some of the Winners Finals/Grand Finals from the last few weeks. Keep in mind what I said before too much Usmash not enough Uair and the like.

San and the others don't have much in the way of videos. Their regions don't record much. I do have this for San, but he only went Ike game one vs Boss a month back. He likes to use Gunner when he's in a tournament that will allow it and projectiles vs Luigi makes a fair bit of sense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1jVuPRhaDs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeLB-uh3FZI&feature=youtu.be&t=40m8s European Ike

Not going to lie: we have at least one guy who thinks Ike is top 10 in the game.

Last edited:

T4ylor

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi, Doc, Ganon, and Pikachu have had their moments of fame in Melee. And it's not like they have a majority of their top tier matchups in their advantage. But, in upsets, the respective mains of these characters have bested top players over the years. And it's not like every single top tier MU they have is 35:65. They might have one or two that are rather poor, a few that are slightly unfavorable, and a bunch of evens. This game is even more balanced than Melee, and a 35:65 [or worse] is much more uncommon (imao). Heck- the DeDeDe boards had a 40:60 for their Sheik MU. That's not even that bad, honestly. With matchup insecurity and practice, the DeDeDe might just beat the Sheik.
Too bad D3 has match ups that are much worse than Sheik.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227

Ryo is dominating his region. I can pull up more videos, but those are some of the Winners Finals/Grand Finals from the last few weeks. Keep in mind what I said before too much Usmash not enough Uair and the like.

San and the others don't have much in the way of videos. Their regions don't record much. I do have this for San, but he only went Ike game one vs Boss a month back. He likes to use Gunner when he's in a tournament that will allow it and projectiles vs Luigi makes a fair bit of sense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1jVuPRhaDs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeLB-uh3FZI&feature=youtu.be&t=40m8s European Ike

Not going to lie: we have at least one guy who thinks Ike is top 10 in the game.
This is some really good Roy play.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
@ A AlMoStLeGeNdArY Wait...Bro...didnt you lose to that really good Ike in NJ at that tourney we were at last month?

And you play Rosalina.

And I beat him. With Ryu. And won that tourney.

RYU FOR TOP TIER!!!!!

But no seriously love you lots Almost.
I also lost to some Ryu that tournament....Also I think Ryu's top ten. I'm going to have to rework my top ten pretty soon though.

Day is Lucario player right? Was hoping to see Ike vs pikachu and the others he's claimed to beat. I'll check those videos out when I get a chance though. Thanks for the info. What's ryo ranked in FL?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5lLCFi8HCQ
San's Ike vs ZSS

Ike in NJ? His name wouldn't happen to be Kimchi would it?
Na it was weirdnick. He plays on anther's ladder. I invited him to my local and he boped me in losers.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
I'm aware. My point of contention is that we don't actually know all the MU's for Sheik for every given character at a high level. That info doesn't exist yet, or at least, doesn't exist across the board to a satisfactory level to make tier placement justifiable. Also, there is a reason I said "solely" in my OP.

EDIT: I'm not sure why what I am saying is not being understood, here. I'm objecting to information overreach leading to weak conclusions. Between you and PK and others in the thread, this should be an easy concept to get.
Fine. You aren't actually wrong, but you're using that point of contention to outright dismiss any talk of supposed tier placements because we don't have more data, which is just absurd. It's impossible to have concrete knowledge of tiers at this time (and we'll probably never have what you're asking for), but working knowledge is acceptable. Hence, making declarative statements about a character's tier position (within reason) is fine. Saying "I think Ike is high tier" is acceptable because people colloquially know what you're talking about. Or do you really expect people to reduce their posts to "I think X character is good or bad" because that is way too vague.

You can object all you want, but there will be a point where your posts condone thought termination and I cannot abide by that.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Fine. You aren't actually wrong, but you're using that point of contention to outright dismiss any talk of supposed tier placements because we don't have more data, which is just absurd. It's impossible to have concrete knowledge of tiers at this time (and we'll probably never have what you're asking for), but working knowledge is acceptable. Hence, making declarative statements about a character's tier position (within reason) is fine. Saying "I think Ike is high tier" is acceptable because people colloquially know what you're talking about. Or do you really expect people to reduce their posts to "I think X character is good or bad" because that is way too vague.
It's not any more vague than "X is [insert tier]" - especially without any kind of explanation. I mean, bro, seriously. In your original post you just blanketed out that you don't think Ike is high tier. That's fine, but that was amidst a bunch of posts with actual arguments and subsequent data. We get on people for posting tier lists without arguments all the time, I don't see how me calling people out for stuff like "X is whatever" is any different.

I'm all fine for whatever if you back up what you are claiming with at least a little contextual support. Blanket statements lead to zero discussion. Maybe I jumped on you a bit hard for it, and I'll accept that. Maybe I'm reading too many Youtube comments about baseless tier placements.

You can object all you want, but there will be a point where your posts condone thought termination and I cannot abide by that.
What. There are zero places in any of my posts where condone censoring people. This is pretty baseless slippery slope stuff.

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Day is Lucario player right? Was hoping to see Ike vs pikachu and the others he's claimed to beat. I'll check those videos out when I get a chance though. Thanks for the info. What's ryo ranked in FL?
Yep, Lucario. Day actually won in the winners bracket and knocked Ryo into losers.

I know Ryuga is ranked 6th in Michigan (Ally is current there). Last one I see for Ryo's area of Gainesville has him 1st, but it was last updated in May 27th. Last one for all of Florida that I could find is from early June and doesn't have him, but has Static in 3rd. Take that how you will considering Ryo has beaten him in 4 sets (1 set was Lucina only, one set had Roy thrown in once) in the last two tournaments they met in.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
It's not any more vague than "X is [insert tier]" - especially without any kind of explanation. I mean, bro, seriously. In your original post you just blanketed out that you don't think Ike is high tier. That's fine, but that was amidst a bunch of posts with actual arguments and subsequent data. We get on people for posting tier lists without arguments all the time, I don't see how me calling people out for stuff like "X is whatever" is any different.

I'm all fine for whatever if you back up what you are claiming with at least a little contextual support. Blanket statements lead to zero discussion. Maybe I jumped on you a bit hard for it, and I'll accept that. Maybe I'm reading too many Youtube comments about baseless tier placements.
Fair enough. I'll admit that my first post was pretty poorly thought out; this thread moves at an extremely fast rate so there are times where I just want to get my opinions out there without really backing them up since it's liable to be a moot point in a few hours.

What. There are zero places in any of my posts where condone censoring people. This is pretty baseless slippery slope stuff.
I thought you were trying to quell any tier talk with your first response. It set me off. Sorry.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Yep, Lucario. Day actually won in the winners bracket and knocked Ryo into losers.

I know Ryuga is ranked 6th in Michigan (Ally is current there). Last one I see for Ryo's area of Gainesville has him 1st, but it was last updated in May 27th. Last one for all of Florida that I could find is from early June and doesn't have him, but has Static in 3rd. Take that how you will considering Ryo has beaten him in 4 sets (1 set was Lucina only, one set had Roy thrown in once) in the last two tournaments they met in.
I've watched Ryuga and Ike is definitely an impressive character. I'm just looking for that impact Ike at higher levels. I'll check out Ryo also though. If he's dominating Static Manny like that then I'll have to agree. I do believe that static manny is considered the best sonuc now. Then the problem seems to be that Ike's aren't going to tournaments.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Fair enough. I'll admit that my first post was pretty poorly thought out; this thread moves at an extremely fast rate so there are times where I just want to get my opinions out there without really backing them up since it's liable to be a moot point in a few hours.
I get that. Although there are people like me that read every post because it's our weekend and we like to procrastinate doing adult duties by reading message boards about Nintendo themed fighting video games.

I thought you were trying to quell any tier talk with your first response. It set me off. Sorry.
Nah. I just like to throw in the "This should all be taken with a Ford F-150 sized grain of salt" for our reddit and eventhubs readers.

Anywho, Ike is looking to be viable, at least based on delightful Ryo and various other tourneys. And he has more than one pro player repping him with results (cough)Pikachu(cough). That buff to Uair should be showing up a bit more now, as well, turning Ike into sword-Rosa.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
If 35:65 matchups were that common in this game than there would be a lot of 98:2 matchups in previous Smash titles.
Stop acting like there are a lot of hard counters in a game with no chain grabs or anything of that nature.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
If 35:65 matchups were that common in this game than there would be a lot of 98:2 matchups in previous Smash titles.
Stop acting like there are a lot of hard counters in a game with no chain grabs or anything of that nature.
Stop acting like chsin grabs was the sole thing in determining MUs.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
They do exist. Robin, for example, is not solo main viable simply because the Sheik matchup is like 1:99. To be solo viable, you must have no hard counters, many winning matchups, and winning/even/not bad against the other solo-viables. How many characters (customs off) have that?

Djent

Smash Champion
Here is a list of characters I am very confident are better than Ike:
:4falcon::4diddy::4fox::4luigi::4mario::4metaknight::4miibrawl:*:4ness::4pikachu::rosalina::4sheik::4sonic::4villager::4wario::4yoshi::4zss:
* = no move restriction (Miis)
He could be top 20, but I think anything higher is a stretch.
Villager is one of the only non-Sheik characters to win big nationals. VERY few characters can make that claim. Yet people are saying he's a counterpick character and barely scrapes high tier. Why? Don't his results clearly contradict that? Isn't he solidly high if not top tier?

Going purely from a results perspective as on paper I don't think Villager is top tier, but the results don't lie.
The only potential confound is that Ranai is freakishly talented. This is the guy who would come out of hibernation to beat Japan's top-level Brawl players without ever settling on a main. As soon as he focused on one character and started attending tourney regularly it was almost inevitable that he'd win multiple majors. I think he's comparable to ESAM/Nairo/Rain in terms of raw talent (which is admittedly hard to assess, but I'm sticking to my guns here).

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Contrary to popular belief aMSa is not the only notable player that uses Greninja. NinjaLink plays him alongside Megaman and Iggy and has said to me that he doesn't really have a main and from what I've seen he just alternates between those three.

He told me he didn't use Greninja at Apex because he still was adjusting to his nerfs IIRC.
By the way our local abadango decides to become our local amSa as well. This, with our local abadango bis (the one who main Wario), will make our meta the strangest of Europe, maybe tied with spain.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
By the way our local abadango decides to become our local amSa as well. This, with our local abadango bis (the one who main Wario), will make our meta the strangest of Europe, maybe tied with spain.
I had to read this post about five times before I understood what you were even talking about.

But now that I do, good to see more frogs popping out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom