• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
So I wanted to kinda gauge where Luigi's matchup listing stands overall, and kinda analyse it for personal use. Since that's been posted a few times, I figured I'd share what I thought. Kinda long, so putting in Spoiler tags. Based on personal experience more then anything, so take it with a bottle of :salt:.
:4luigi: is
+2 vs:4charizard::4dedede::4ganondorf::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4palutena:(non-customs):4zelda:
+1 vs:4bowser::4bowserjr::4falcon::4drmario::4falco::4fox::4gaw::4lucario::4lucas::4ness::4shulk:
0 vs:4darkpit::4diddy::4dk::4myfriends::4kirby::4duckhunt::4lucina::4luigi:(ayyy):4mario:
0 vs :4metaknight::4miibrawl::4peach::4pit::4ryu::4sonic::4wiifit::4zss::4pikachu::4feroy:
-1 vs :4greninja::4littlemac::4link::4marth::4palutena:(customs):4pacman::4rob::4tlink::4villager::4wario::4yoshi:
-2 vs:4megaman::rosalina::4samus::4sheik:

Can't gauge because inexperience/changes to the character: :4robinm::4olimar::4miigun::4miisword:

General explanations (brief, since I'm doing it for everyone lol):
+2: We either get literally so much reward for getting in on these guys that we can't lose, or we can beat them in trades/footsies wars because their range is comparable (Jiggs lol). They have to play unsafe against a safe playstyle Luigi, which is exactly what Luigi wants. Special note for Mewtwo, who is combo food AND gets killed off the top easy.
:4charizard: Combo-food, no easy way to break the combos, overall poor recovery, and is one of the few that are forced to recover high, unsafely, after a trump because of the threat of the taunt-trump kill.
:4dedede:Fast-falling, large target that has to approach due to fireball reflecting his projectile. Slow startup on aerials means that Luigi can just chill and play by reaction and win. That, and D3 has no way to get out of Grab 50/50s AND no real way to deal with Jab 50/50s.
:4ganondorf:Not hard to keep him in disadvantage. Patient play leads to him getting a lot of damage rather quickly. That, and he's susceptible to D-throw > Fair > Fair > Regrab > D-Throw > Fair > 50/50s even with DI.
:4jigglypuff:She dies at 70 from D-Throw to FJP and is one of the easier characters to get that on. Even if we can't combo her from a throw, she has no way to deal with U-Air besides giving us stage control.
:4mewtwo:Take Jig's issues, but put in on a character we can combo. At least he has better advantage and 50/50s then Jiggs.
:4palutena:(non-customs) Slow everything, save Bair. Can just play on reaction and win without issue. Special note to her having to get in range of Nair to get anything off of Jab/Throws.
:4zelda:She is easily combo'd and has no way to deal with Luigi getting in or keeping him out. At least we can't just sit back and PS Dins all day. Still, with her Teleport being as susceptible to the 1 frame thing as Shiek, we shouldn't lose this one often.

+1: Luigi has tools to deal with all the characters here, or really, really hurt them when he gets in. Like half of the D-Throw > Upair and Nair combo starters are here. 10 of these guys are here because of how easy they are to gimp.
:4bowser:Fireball doesn't make him flinch and he hits like a truck, but he is susceptible to all the same combos most other heavies are. Exceptionally easy to 50/50 and Throw > FJP kill.
:4bowserjr:Has tools to keep Luigi out, and a lot of safely in his moves since they push Luigi back, but what else does he have? Fireballs force an approach and Down-B gimps are especially effective because they don't give back the up-B iirc. That, and some of his combos simply don't work.
:4falcon:Fast and has decent range, plus Dair is killer and forces either a high recovery or a super low one. Our saving grace is that Nair beats everything and he can get a regrabbed twice at low percents, then 50/50'd.
:4drmario:A worse Mario. He gets more per hit, but it's harder for him to get the hit in. OOS Up-B helps Doc, but that isn't saving him if he gets grabbed > down-B'd or gimped out of it, both of which are exceptionally easy.
:4falco:Loses to patient play from Luigi. Some of his combos can be broken with Nair and he is susceptible to the low percent Fair > Uair regrab. Fire Balls force an edge-level recovery, or lower, and he's not coming back from a Down-B gimp. That said, he does rather well once he's actually in.
:4fox:Nair breaks the jab shenanigans, meaning that Fox will have to predict the Nair and Shield it. It can be done after each individual jab. Fox also doesn't have a strong way to get an edge guard if Luigi goes low, meaning that fox can't use that weakness against us well. Good luck landing against a fox, though.
:4gaw:Super light and unsafe. Bucket forces us to either approach or give him a stack to get a punish. He edge-guards well, but gets combo'd and dies super early.
:4lucario:Low range and low damage early. Is easily combo'd and 50/50'd to around 80%. After that, he can be killed off of a grab with FJP or with Down-B a bit later. Starts going against Luigi at 130ish because of Aura and rage. Most of his kill things are slow, though. At least most of his stuff is safe on Luigi's shield.
:4lucas:Nair breaks later grab combos and you don't have to really respect his PKT2 recovery, since Bair doesn't trade with it. We can sit just outside his committed Fair range and be safe against anything but a grab, but feinting jump-ins allows this to be avoided on reaction, and punished since it takes a year to tell the snake to come back.
:4ness:Back-Throw is a real issue, as is his grab game, but you can make Bair trade with Fair and gimping him is simple. A fireball alone can reduce his recovery range at no risk. Add in that, if Luigi gets a grab, he does more off of it and the fact that Ness isn't going to be killing purely on the ground often, save for B-Throw, and you've got a game of who gets more grabs. Since Luigi needs less...
:4shulk: Take a character that has a long startup on everything, to the point where you can PS on reaction, is combo'd easily, has a strict gimmick, and has a gimpable recovery that is unsafe no matter how you do it, and add in that he has good range and KO power, and you have a +1.

0: Classic evenish machups here. Each has tools to deal with Luigi or zone him out, has as much reward as Luigi does in proportion to effort to get in, or allows them to break Luigi's combos. That said, Luigi does have things he can do against some of the people here. Not going to go into these, since I think most of them are considered evenish by most people already.

-1: Characters that have exceptional speed and zoning capabilities that make life hard for Luigi.
:4littlemac:If he maintains neutral or any form of control, it's hard for Luigi to contest without some sort of trick. If we get him off stage, then ya. He dies. The problem is getting him there. And, if we get a throw? Due to the damage decrease from FAir, Nair breaks the combos sometimes.
:4yoshi:Every single thing sends Luigi to the other side of the stage. Having to wait for the other guy to make a mistake is a very bad scenario for anyone. That, and Nair breaks the 50/50 reset combos from throw, meaning you only get the safe, consistent stuff when you do get in.
:4rob:With the fireball change, that sweetspot area for fireball > option is now much more solidly within ROB's sweetspot range of doom. Get ready to powershield some auto-canceled Nairs, lasers, and Gyros.
:4tlink:Good kill setups and an exceptional keep-away game. Laming out Luigi as Tink isn't hard. Retreading projectiles are safe, even on PS, because of OOS nair and retreating side-b and Zair.
:4villager:Forces an approach, and has a lot of options to stop an approach from Luigi, especially with customs.
:4greninja:Very fast and has great reward off of everything. Luigi should find it hard to land and, due to the fast and volatile nature of his recovery, hard to gimp. Up-Smash is legit for stopping even aerial pokes as well. With the Neut B buff, he forces Luigi to approach without too much issue. Gimping Luigi with him isn't too hard, either.
:4link:Range, generally fast startup on the moves that matter, and projectiles forcing an approach, make this one hard. His Nair breaks 50/50 grabs as well. At least we can get a double grab and gimp him without issue, but getting to either of those points is going to be an up hill battle.
:4marth:Unlike Lucina, he gets a lot more out of zoning and from his Jab 1 against Luigi. Counter against Luigi's Side-B is always a nice addition as well. Nair sucks kinda bad for Luigi, too, since it covers so much range and is better now. Luigi has to wait for a mistake between fireballs, and that's never a good place to be in.
:4palutena:(customs) Unlike non-customs, she can get in quickly and her Down-B Throw > Nair > Uair shenanigans work really well here. Combine that with Super speed getting her in Luigi's face often, and her improved recovery options, and you've got a more up-hill battle overall for the entire set. At least she still has quite a few problems that she has in non-customs. They're just way lesser.
:4pacman:Pacman makes Luigi play cautiously. Up-B easily stuffs any pressure Luigi makes (breaks the jab 50/50) and his fruits are exceptional at gimping Luigi. It's an up-hill battle trying to get in due to getting Faired on approach, naired while doing some work (breaks the throw 50/50s), and the exceptional safety Pac has on Luigi's shield. At least Luigi easily wins the grab game overall.
:4wario:Wario has an answer for everything Luigi has. Bite beats Nair and covers a lot of Luigi's ledge options. Bike forces an approach and Fair beats Luigi's RAR Bair and Fair. Fart beats 50/50s without issue and clap makes it very hard for Luigi to land. The saving grace is, if Luigi get's match control, he does a lot of damage and Wario isn't the hardest to gimp. That said, a single bite returns it all to neutral, which is a place Luigi doesn't want to be.

-2: AKA the reason I had to pick up a secondary.
:4megaman:Safe, little bullets prevent most aerial and ground approaches. You have to play extremely patiently to get in. And, when you do, you get a double regrab, but, after that? Any mistake returns everything to neutral. Basically, Megaman stuffs everything Luigi has and can play on reaction without issue. Combine this with making it exceptionally difficult for Luigi to land and you've got the first -2. Luigi can't even Down-B from throw for a kill until late because of MM's combo of weight and fall speed.
:rosalina:The queen of the keep out game. Jab from Luma, when spaced, makes it either extremely unsafe, or extremely hard, for Luigi to get in. Her Dair, though not the strongest, covers so much range that you're going to get hit out of Up-B with it. The biggest up hill battle for Luigi in the game. Luma even breaks grab combos if they aren't done the "get in, hit them, get out" way. Too bad "getting out" is a bad concession in this one. It'd be -3 if it weren't for the fact that she's a big, floaty, light piece of paper and that Throw > Down-B isn't broken by Luma and Luigi's Smash attacks are exceptionally fast and good at killing Luma.
:4samus:A Samus that plays super-defensively and reactionary can, almost trivially, keep Luigi out. F-Tilt needs to be PS'd, along with all the missiles and charged shots, to get hits in. Good luck with the grab combos, since Screw attack stuffs most of them after hit 1 or 2. Samus can make this a game of pokes against a character that is disadvantaged in the air-poke game. Even playing patiently and taking what you can get, this one is a tough one for Luigi that only gets tougher the better both players are.
:4sheik:Sheik is... Well, Sheik. She doesn't have to kill Luigi in this one, because she can just Fair until he's off stage, then react to Luigi's option choice and send him back out. That said, Fair is safe on Luigi's shield and Luigi has a hard time reacting to it. That, and she's harder to re-grab then most, with Nair even faltering sometimes. That's, of course, assuming she lets you get the grab in the first place. She might have that 1 frame vulnerability on Up-B, but getting her off stage is a chore.
what kind of :4lucas: have you been playing? if he plays lame there's almost nothing :4luigi: can do in this matchup.

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
Nope. Perfect spacing gives him FRAME ADVANTAGE (the real kind). Imperfect spacing hes like -5 which is still insanely safe.
That can't be shield grabbed? Or punished with any good OOS option?

Roy just feels incredibly linear, high risk, and underwhelming as a swordsman to me. He has too many weaknesses to really take advantage of his strengths. Great dash speed and reward off of a grab yet poor dash to shield and dash grab distance. Great aerials that are mostly unsafe on landing and difficult to use due to his horrible jump height and poor recovery off stage. Great walk speed, yet most of his grounded tilts are huge commitments. Excellent kill power, yet no way to reliably set it up against anyone who DIs except fast fallers really, at least without hard reads that are big commitments. Good combos and damage output, yet has a large frame and falls very fast so he gets comboed for days, again with a bad recovery. He also lacks a good defensive hitbox below him so he gets juggled easier, unlike Marth and Lucy. Great range, but with paltry reward on many of his tippers.

Edit: Oh yeah, no customs, if that's going on in your scene.

He seems to be a contender for the worst sword user now with everyone else receiving great buffs. Am i missing something here?

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
LMAOOO Ally went MK. More mk sheep now smh
Zero went Roy and takes the game
Missed it but apparently ally got the Uair combo but didn't press the simple Up B. AND HE PICKED SV AGAINST SHEIK.

Sadly this will feed into the "MK does well against Sheik" wagon since ally didn't get bodied apparently(didn't watch just going with what was said on skype).

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Missed it but apparently ally got the Uair combo but didn't press the simple Up B. AND HE PICKED SV AGAINST SHEIK.

Sadly this will feed into the "MK does well against Sheik" wagon since ally didn't get bodied apparently(didn't watch just going with what was said on skype).
He did fine in the first round and got 2stocked in the second, as usual with ZeRo.

Last edited:

Pyr

Smash Lord
what kind of :4lucas: have you been playing? if he plays lame there's almost nothing :4luigi: can do in this matchup.
I think there is a lot Luigi can do simply because a lot of what Lucas can do is react-able. I don't feel I have to respect his kit much at all, especially at 3/4 fireball range. Add in that he is easier to gimp then Ness and you've got his placement in my spread. Just takes a little patience.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
you have to respect that he can absorb fireballs and essentially negate a lead. you also have to respect his reflector stick. you also have to respect that pk fire essentially beats every single hit attack because it has 2 hitboxes that come out when it hits something, either an attack or a hurtbox. and, if your fireballs are essentially useless, what is he going to do at the optimal range that :4lucas: wants and is effective at keeping him there?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
That can't be shield grabbed? Or punished with any good OOS option?

Roy just feels incredibly linear, high risk, and underwhelming as a swordsman to me. He has too many weaknesses to really take advantage of his strengths. Great dash speed and reward off of a grab yet poor dash to shield and dash grab distance. Great aerials that are mostly unsafe on landing and difficult to use due to his horrible jump height and poor recovery off stage. Great walk speed, yet most of his grounded tilts are huge commitments. Excellent kill power, yet no way to reliably set it up against anyone who DIs except fast fallers really, at least without hard reads that are big commitments. Good combos and damage output, yet has a large frame and falls very fast so he gets comboed for days, again with a bad recovery. He also lacks a good defensive hitbox below him so he gets juggled easier, unlike Marth and Lucy. Great range, but with paltry reward on many of his tippers.

Edit: Oh yeah, no customs, if that's going on in your scene.

He seems to be a contender for the worst sword user now with everyone else receiving great buffs. Am i missing something here?
His d-tilt is Marths d-tilt in brawl.

That is the very antithesis of commitment. Nair is safe on landing as long as your spacing isnt wtf terrible. Remember Roy has good shieldpush back on block for his sweetspots. In terms of safe pressure he has one of the best nairs in the game. Its between him, CF and Marcina really. All awesome safe pressure nairs.

Listen man you got me defending Roy and ****....man what the **** is this ****?!

He is high risk high reward. Yes he has a sword. He is not a swordsman though. Not really. Only when he uses Uair, Nair and d-tilt is he a swordsman imo.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I mean, DK still needs to get grabs, and his mobility doesn't give him a ton of options for that (though he has large grabs in Smash 4). Yeah, he's noticeably better, but he was not a good character to begin with.
I know DK can jab to pivot grab so I assume jab to regular grab is about as reliable. Scary stuff.

(-2=4/6, -1=45/55, 0=5/5, +1=55:45, +2=6/4 for those who prefer x/x)
am i overrating my character? underrating? am i using these numbers wrong? is this an honest assessment of :4sonic: mu spread?
IMO yes, but I've seen people do similar things to you. For me, +/-1 should be 45:55 to 40:60 because that's still only a slight (dis)advantage. +/-2 can be any more than that (35:65 - 30:70) because that is a significant advantage, and anything else is +/-3 which is effectively a hard counter.

As far as your actual matchup spread goes, it does kinda seem like everyone and their mother hates the Sonic matchup, so I don't think you're really overrating your character.

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
So I wanted to kinda gauge where Luigi's matchup listing stands overall, and kinda analyse it for personal use. Since that's been posted a few times, I figured I'd share what I thought. Kinda long, so putting in Spoiler tags. Based on personal experience more then anything, so take it with a bottle of :salt:.
:4luigi: is
+2 vs:4charizard::4dedede::4ganondorf::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4palutena:(non-customs):4zelda:
+1 vs:4bowser::4bowserjr::4falcon::4drmario::4falco::4fox::4gaw::4lucario::4lucas::4ness::4shulk:
0 vs:4darkpit::4diddy::4dk::4myfriends::4kirby::4duckhunt::4lucina::4luigi:(ayyy):4mario:
0 vs :4metaknight::4miibrawl::4peach::4pit::4ryu::4sonic::4wiifit::4zss::4pikachu::4feroy:
-1 vs :4greninja::4littlemac::4link::4marth::4palutena:(customs):4pacman::4rob::4tlink::4villager::4wario::4yoshi:
-2 vs:4megaman::rosalina::4samus::4sheik:

Can't gauge because inexperience/changes to the character: :4robinm::4olimar::4miigun::4miisword:

General explanations (brief, since I'm doing it for everyone lol):
+2: We either get literally so much reward for getting in on these guys that we can't lose, or we can beat them in trades/footsies wars because their range is comparable (Jiggs lol). They have to play unsafe against a safe playstyle Luigi, which is exactly what Luigi wants. Special note for Mewtwo, who is combo food AND gets killed off the top easy.
:4charizard: Combo-food, no easy way to break the combos, overall poor recovery, and is one of the few that are forced to recover high, unsafely, after a trump because of the threat of the taunt-trump kill.
:4dedede:Fast-falling, large target that has to approach due to fireball reflecting his projectile. Slow startup on aerials means that Luigi can just chill and play by reaction and win. That, and D3 has no way to get out of Grab 50/50s AND no real way to deal with Jab 50/50s.
:4ganondorf:Not hard to keep him in disadvantage. Patient play leads to him getting a lot of damage rather quickly. That, and he's susceptible to D-throw > Fair > Fair > Regrab > D-Throw > Fair > 50/50s even with DI.
:4jigglypuff:She dies at 70 from D-Throw to FJP and is one of the easier characters to get that on. Even if we can't combo her from a throw, she has no way to deal with U-Air besides giving us stage control.
:4mewtwo:Take Jig's issues, but put in on a character we can combo. At least he has better advantage and 50/50s then Jiggs.
:4palutena:(non-customs) Slow everything, save Bair. Can just play on reaction and win without issue. Special note to her having to get in range of Nair to get anything off of Jab/Throws.
:4zelda:She is easily combo'd and has no way to deal with Luigi getting in or keeping him out. At least we can't just sit back and PS Dins all day. Still, with her Teleport being as susceptible to the 1 frame thing as Shiek, we shouldn't lose this one often.

+1: Luigi has tools to deal with all the characters here, or really, really hurt them when he gets in. Like half of the D-Throw > Upair and Nair combo starters are here. 10 of these guys are here because of how easy they are to gimp.
:4bowser:Fireball doesn't make him flinch and he hits like a truck, but he is susceptible to all the same combos most other heavies are. Exceptionally easy to 50/50 and Throw > FJP kill.
:4bowserjr:Has tools to keep Luigi out, and a lot of safely in his moves since they push Luigi back, but what else does he have? Fireballs force an approach and Down-B gimps are especially effective because they don't give back the up-B iirc. That, and some of his combos simply don't work.
:4falcon:Fast and has decent range, plus Dair is killer and forces either a high recovery or a super low one. Our saving grace is that Nair beats everything and he can get a regrabbed twice at low percents, then 50/50'd.
:4drmario:A worse Mario. He gets more per hit, but it's harder for him to get the hit in. OOS Up-B helps Doc, but that isn't saving him if he gets grabbed > down-B'd or gimped out of it, both of which are exceptionally easy.
:4falco:Loses to patient play from Luigi. Some of his combos can be broken with Nair and he is susceptible to the low percent Fair > Uair regrab. Fire Balls force an edge-level recovery, or lower, and he's not coming back from a Down-B gimp. That said, he does rather well once he's actually in.
:4fox:Nair breaks the jab shenanigans, meaning that Fox will have to predict the Nair and Shield it. It can be done after each individual jab. Fox also doesn't have a strong way to get an edge guard if Luigi goes low, meaning that fox can't use that weakness against us well. Good luck landing against a fox, though.
:4gaw:Super light and unsafe. Bucket forces us to either approach or give him a stack to get a punish. He edge-guards well, but gets combo'd and dies super early.
:4lucario:Low range and low damage early. Is easily combo'd and 50/50'd to around 80%. After that, he can be killed off of a grab with FJP or with Down-B a bit later. Starts going against Luigi at 130ish because of Aura and rage. Most of his kill things are slow, though. At least most of his stuff is safe on Luigi's shield.
:4lucas:Nair breaks later grab combos and you don't have to really respect his PKT2 recovery, since Bair doesn't trade with it. We can sit just outside his committed Fair range and be safe against anything but a grab, but feinting jump-ins allows this to be avoided on reaction, and punished since it takes a year to tell the snake to come back.
:4ness:Back-Throw is a real issue, as is his grab game, but you can make Bair trade with Fair and gimping him is simple. A fireball alone can reduce his recovery range at no risk. Add in that, if Luigi gets a grab, he does more off of it and the fact that Ness isn't going to be killing purely on the ground often, save for B-Throw, and you've got a game of who gets more grabs. Since Luigi needs less...
:4shulk: Take a character that has a long startup on everything, to the point where you can PS on reaction, is combo'd easily, has a strict gimmick, and has a gimpable recovery that is unsafe no matter how you do it, and add in that he has good range and KO power, and you have a +1.

0: Classic evenish machups here. Each has tools to deal with Luigi or zone him out, has as much reward as Luigi does in proportion to effort to get in, or allows them to break Luigi's combos. That said, Luigi does have things he can do against some of the people here. Not going to go into these, since I think most of them are considered evenish by most people already.

-1: Characters that have exceptional speed and zoning capabilities that make life hard for Luigi.
:4littlemac:If he maintains neutral or any form of control, it's hard for Luigi to contest without some sort of trick. If we get him off stage, then ya. He dies. The problem is getting him there. And, if we get a throw? Due to the damage decrease from FAir, Nair breaks the combos sometimes.
:4yoshi:Every single thing sends Luigi to the other side of the stage. Having to wait for the other guy to make a mistake is a very bad scenario for anyone. That, and Nair breaks the 50/50 reset combos from throw, meaning you only get the safe, consistent stuff when you do get in.
:4rob:With the fireball change, that sweetspot area for fireball > option is now much more solidly within ROB's sweetspot range of doom. Get ready to powershield some auto-canceled Nairs, lasers, and Gyros.
:4tlink:Good kill setups and an exceptional keep-away game. Laming out Luigi as Tink isn't hard. Retreading projectiles are safe, even on PS, because of OOS nair and retreating side-b and Zair.
:4villager:Forces an approach, and has a lot of options to stop an approach from Luigi, especially with customs.
:4greninja:Very fast and has great reward off of everything. Luigi should find it hard to land and, due to the fast and volatile nature of his recovery, hard to gimp. Up-Smash is legit for stopping even aerial pokes as well. With the Neut B buff, he forces Luigi to approach without too much issue. Gimping Luigi with him isn't too hard, either.
:4link:Range, generally fast startup on the moves that matter, and projectiles forcing an approach, make this one hard. His Nair breaks 50/50 grabs as well. At least we can get a double grab and gimp him without issue, but getting to either of those points is going to be an up hill battle.
:4marth:Unlike Lucina, he gets a lot more out of zoning and from his Jab 1 against Luigi. Counter against Luigi's Side-B is always a nice addition as well. Nair sucks kinda bad for Luigi, too, since it covers so much range and is better now. Luigi has to wait for a mistake between fireballs, and that's never a good place to be in.
:4palutena:(customs) Unlike non-customs, she can get in quickly and her Down-B Throw > Nair > Uair shenanigans work really well here. Combine that with Super speed getting her in Luigi's face often, and her improved recovery options, and you've got a more up-hill battle overall for the entire set. At least she still has quite a few problems that she has in non-customs. They're just way lesser.
:4pacman:Pacman makes Luigi play cautiously. Up-B easily stuffs any pressure Luigi makes (breaks the jab 50/50) and his fruits are exceptional at gimping Luigi. It's an up-hill battle trying to get in due to getting Faired on approach, naired while doing some work (breaks the throw 50/50s), and the exceptional safety Pac has on Luigi's shield. At least Luigi easily wins the grab game overall.
:4wario:Wario has an answer for everything Luigi has. Bite beats Nair and covers a lot of Luigi's ledge options. Bike forces an approach and Fair beats Luigi's RAR Bair and Fair. Fart beats 50/50s without issue and clap makes it very hard for Luigi to land. The saving grace is, if Luigi get's match control, he does a lot of damage and Wario isn't the hardest to gimp. That said, a single bite returns it all to neutral, which is a place Luigi doesn't want to be.

-2: AKA the reason I had to pick up a secondary.
:4megaman:Safe, little bullets prevent most aerial and ground approaches. You have to play extremely patiently to get in. And, when you do, you get a double regrab, but, after that? Any mistake returns everything to neutral. Basically, Megaman stuffs everything Luigi has and can play on reaction without issue. Combine this with making it exceptionally difficult for Luigi to land and you've got the first -2. Luigi can't even Down-B from throw for a kill until late because of MM's combo of weight and fall speed.
:rosalina:The queen of the keep out game. Jab from Luma, when spaced, makes it either extremely unsafe, or extremely hard, for Luigi to get in. Her Dair, though not the strongest, covers so much range that you're going to get hit out of Up-B with it. The biggest up hill battle for Luigi in the game. Luma even breaks grab combos if they aren't done the "get in, hit them, get out" way. Too bad "getting out" is a bad concession in this one. It'd be -3 if it weren't for the fact that she's a big, floaty, light piece of paper and that Throw > Down-B isn't broken by Luma and Luigi's Smash attacks are exceptionally fast and good at killing Luma.
:4samus:A Samus that plays super-defensively and reactionary can, almost trivially, keep Luigi out. F-Tilt needs to be PS'd, along with all the missiles and charged shots, to get hits in. Good luck with the grab combos, since Screw attack stuffs most of them after hit 1 or 2. Samus can make this a game of pokes against a character that is disadvantaged in the air-poke game. Even playing patiently and taking what you can get, this one is a tough one for Luigi that only gets tougher the better both players are.
:4sheik:Sheik is... Well, Sheik. She doesn't have to kill Luigi in this one, because she can just Fair until he's off stage, then react to Luigi's option choice and send him back out. That said, Fair is safe on Luigi's shield and Luigi has a hard time reacting to it. That, and she's harder to re-grab then most, with Nair even faltering sometimes. That's, of course, assuming she lets you get the grab in the first place. She might have that 1 frame vulnerability on Up-B, but getting her off stage is a chore.
How does DK go even with Luigi?

Pyr

Smash Lord
you have to respect that he can absorb fireballs and essentially negate a lead. you also have to respect his reflector stick. you also have to respect that pk fire essentially beats every single hit attack because it has 2 hitboxes that come out when it hits something, either an attack or a hurtbox. and, if your fireballs are essentially useless, what is he going to do at the optimal range that :4lucas: wants and is effective at keeping him there?
I do, I suppose. If I'm not going to fireball and just play to whatever he does, then what? If I get in my range and he does anything, I can jump it, PS it, Spotdodge it, reverse U-Smash it, D-Smash it, hard shield and grab it... Really depends on the Lucas and what they do. They can reaction F-Smash a fireball, or absorb it, but why would I fireball at my preferred range? I feel it's easier to get there then it is for Lucas to get me to his.

Another bit for PK-fire: Startup is decent. I can not respect it at all by just jumping it, fastfalling, and grabbing before you can pull out D-tilt. =p And a PS of it means the second hit doesn't come out.

And my Fireballs are meh in this matchup, you're right. But Luigi ain't no fireball.

How does DK go even with Luigi?
Bair is godly. Outranges our best range'd air-footsies option (bair) and a trade isn't favorable in the least. D-Tilt beats the Jab 50/50 without issue and is safe on Luigi's shield, and Up-Air makes it hard to land. Grab + Cargo + option either kills us or really, really hurts. That said, he's combo food off of late Nair setups for 40%, grabs, or edgeguards. It's even because, range wise, DK wins and safety on shield wise, DK wins. But getting in means Luigi wins without issue, especially with Up-B from D throw being even easier on his big hitbox now.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I feel like Greninja's aerials make him easy to ledge trap, but the huge up-B gives him a good mix-up by recovering high to the opposite end of the stage (as a Rosa main, I'm definitely keen on absolutely absurd distance recovery; it's about more than just going far enough to always make it to the ledge without getting hit). Part of it is the new stage feels, but I definitely lost a game as Greninja hard for being awkwardly semi-spiked twice on Peach's Castle as the lower platform was moving away and wasn't able to recover far enough whereas the really huge pump would have saved me...
Regular Hydro Pump can get him back on stage from the ledge very well. He moves faster during the first pump with regular Hydro Pump and so is less likely to be intercepted. The second pump doesn't go as far as the huge up B but it's usually far/fast enough for all but the fastest characters to be unable to punish, especially if they were setting up a ledgetrap or tried to hit Greninja as he was pumping back. I sort of see where you're coming from, the huge Up B does a lot of the stuff Hydro Pump does with a unique advantage, but I do think it moves too slowly and serves to make Greninja easier to edgeguard against a lot of characters. It's kind of an underrated custom though.

You made some good points in your original post. I like what you said about Greninja's Fsmash, I've never really thought about it before but it's a great move. Fast startup, good knockback, good (disjointed) range. No multi-hits, no sweetspots to worry about, just a simple smash that gets the job done.

Also what you said about shurikens forcing a reaction makes a lot of sense. What I like and have always liked about shurikens is the fact that Greninja throws them so quickly once they actually start charging. People always say you should just powershield projectiles, and you can indeed react to the startup of the uncharged version and powershield them easily (though not as easily as before with the buffed startup). However, Greninja can just choose to charge his shuriken, and then throw it at an unreactable speed. If you put your shield up on reaction to the charging animation, you've just eaten a chunk of shield damage and given Greninja positional advantage. Throwing a projectile so fast from a charging animation is a great attribute to have, and it's a feature that few other projectiles share (needles, Link's arrows, maybe the Pits' arrows).

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
zair. thats another key thing in the matchup. its huge and disjointed(also eats fireballs!), and :4lucas:is completely mobile while he's doing it. he can advance or retreat while he uses the move. can you imagine trying to get in on this kid? he's throwin **** left and right and he's moving back while he's at it!

Pyr

Smash Lord
@ Smog Frog Smog Frog
I can, ya. He also has very little landing lag from it, too, which makes it a long-range, safe option for him. It's another reason why Fireballs are meh here. That said, if Lucas abuses it a little to much, or makes a spacing mistake, things like Powershield > PP utilt, dash > jab, down-b to chase followup, a RAR full hop, fast fall spaced Bair can all punish it. But then it's why we can't talk about Zair, the amazing option that it is, in a vacuum: dealing with it depends on the situation, how it's been used by Lucas, how Lucas has conditioned me, or me Lucas, and a bunch of other stuff. Point is, Luigi has options against it.

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
Bair is godly. Outranges our best range'd air-footsies option (bair) and a trade isn't favorable in the least. D-Tilt beats the Jab 50/50 without issue and is safe on Luigi's shield, and Up-Air makes it hard to land. Grab + Cargo + option either kills us or really, really hurts. That said, he's combo food off of late Nair setups for 40%, grabs, or edgeguards. It's even because, range wise, DK wins and safety on shield wise, DK wins. But getting in means Luigi wins without issue, especially with Up-B from D throw being even easier on his big hitbox now.
He still has hardly any good options against fireball, which will turn the opponent around to face Luigi if it connects in the air, making bair less useful. I'm assuming this hasn't changed since brawl? I'm pretty sure it hasn't. It hampers the approach big time and is abusive against such a large target.

If he can get in past the fireballs, DK wins in range, he only wins in safety on hit. Luigi's frame data is immensely better and he will punish DK ridiculously hard for smallish mistakes. Luigi shouldn't be going for jab 50/50s here, he should be just mashing jab out to push DK away with his better frame data, and continuing to fireball zone. At higher % DK's large frame causes him to get FJP'ed everytime he whiffs something big and most of the time he gets dthrowed because the hitbox is bigger now. It's harder to grab DK now due to fireball nerf, but Luigi is in kill % after like two or three due to DK getting comboed so hard.

There is no way DK beats a lame Luigi even now, IMO. This was one of the most oppressive match ups I've experienced yet due to Luigi's frame data , damage output and projectile and even with the balance patch it should be +1 Luigi at least.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I would tend to agree with Smog Frog here. Jumping over and punishing a retreating PK Fire with Luigi's aerial mobility makes me chuckle. Luigi of all characters is NOT going to be punishing a retreating PK Fire in the vast majority of situations. Also retreating Fair is an option now. This really is one of those MUs Lucas can afford to play kinda lame in. Also you will be taking damage offstage as well as Lucas.

This is one of the few MUs I would actually consider picking :4lucas: over :4ness: in.

By the way I just realised that probably came off as really condescending and I don't mean to be, but I do disagree with your analysis. :o

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Lucas is a spacing monster. He can be an absolute nightmare to get in on. I can see him keeping Luigi out for most of the match.

Last edited:

Pyr

Smash Lord
I would tend to agree with Smog Frog here. Jumping over and punishing a retreating PK Fire with Luigi's aerial mobility makes me chuckle. Luigi of all characters is NOT going to be punishing a retreating PK Fire in the vast majority of situations. Also retreating Fair is an option now. This really is one of those MUs Lucas can afford to play kinda lame in. Also you will be taking damage offstage as well as Lucas.

This is one of the few MUs I would actually consider picking :4lucas: over :4ness: in.

By the way I just realised that probably came off as really condescending and I don't mean to be, but I do disagree with your analysis. :o
It's all good. I might have to relook at the matchup. Admittedly, we don't have the best Lucas's and I've not put at much time into his matchup then, say, Rosa. =p

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
The fact Sheik's stock is history at 80% due to Dthrow -> Usmash, even lower with the eventual rage Robin picks up, is still noteworthy despite the mobility flaws.

Robins in my perspective seem to have a desire to just stay put and try to make them come to him, which never works. As juxtaposed as it sounds, a Robin that keeps himself moving, threatening with his autocanceling, disjointed, shorthop game in sync with his projectiles, nets him far more reward than turtling does.
Yes, you need to be aggressive if you want to do well with Robin.

irokex13

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Irokex21
:4sheik: vs :4robinm:is a + 2 or +3 for Sheik, might be even worse eh. Basically this is a MU where Sheik can do whatever she wants due to the fact she's much faster then Robin while also having needles that just neuters Robin especially his Thoron. On top of this Sheik can be hard to grab and Robin happens to have one of the worst grabs in the game.... yeah not so good at all. Sheik can also edge-guard Robin much more easier then Robin edge-guarding Sheik. Robin also loses at close range due to Sheik having the better boxing game (better frame data, better moves (jab, fair, f-tilt, nair)). Basically Robin only way of inflicting damage is with Punishes / Hard-Reads while Sheik gets to do whatever she wants while having to worry little of what Robin can do to her . Also :4robinm: tone/levin mechanic really screws him over in this MU more then others since Robin has little ways of combating Sheik already, and him losing options throughout the battle is just terrible for him/her against Sheik.
Wow. I guess I have the main job of defending Robin around here.

I don't see how Sheik is anything worse than -1. Even pre patch, the MU was hard, but far from unwinnable. The main issue is Needle Storm, and those stop being a problem once Robin has Thoron charged. In 1.10, fully charged Needles trade with ElThunder (unfavorable trade in mid/long range) and flat out lose to Thoron. You want to hit me for 11% while I blast you for 18% with a chance to kill you?

People love to bring up Shiek edge guarding Robin, but it's definitely not that bad. Just recover low. What's Sheik going to do? Fair you? ElWind travels very far horizontally. Robin has the air speed to weave through Sheik's offstage pressure.

Close up, only Sheik's jab is faster than Robin's jab, and Robin gets waaaaaay more of out their jab than Sheik does. Not only does Sheik take 16%+ from Wind Jab, she also died at 125% from it, and due to her nature as a fast caller, it's much more difficult for her to DI out of the final hit. Fire Jab also kills sub 110% near the ledge, which is kinda insane.

Oh, and another thing. Robin has limited resources, that's surely a downside right? Lol no. I get an 18% item that kills at 100% and deals tons of shield damage (you can also regrab it if they shield it). If Robin grabs a book, Sheik has to be very careful of whatever action she commits to.

Sheik definitely has the speed and mobility to harass Robin, but she trades very unfavorably for her and dies much earlier than Robin, especially with the new down throw combos.

And if it seems like I'm making Robin sound like some invincible monster, Robin does has bad MUs. Pikachu seems to be the hardest, while Sheik and ZSS give Robin a tough time. I don't think Sonic, Fox, Yoshi, Greninja, or Falcon are that bad (I'd argue that Robin beats Yoshi and Falcon).

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I think Lucas has a very potent zoning game but I think he's going to struggle with fast characters like Greninja, ZSS, Fox... Considering how much mobility rules among the best characters, that's pretty bad. They can close in on him and thanks to his grab he doesn't really deal with pressure all that well, he does have the jab but that can only do so much.

That said Luigi is far from fast so I do think Lucas has an easier time dealing with him. The zoning is very strong here and Lucas is not easily edgeguarded because of his tether and very good double jump, his recovery goes so far he can actually recover within magnifying glass distance and Luigi most of the time won't want to go that far.

It's sadly pretty hard to think of MUs where Lucas does better than Ness, the only ones I can think of right now are Luigi and Rosalina (thanks to the tether). I think he's a solid mid-tier character but not much better than that.

I was pretty hyped for Lucas when he was announced but now that I actually have him, I'm struggling to actually use him too often not because I find him to be bad, but Greninja just feels so much more fun to play.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Anyone in this thread planning on going to SKTAR? Would love to play some of you and lose a bunch.

I've been coming to terms with the fact that Robin is probably best as a counterpick character (though far less effective than most). But what character needs heavies and swordies covered? How effectively can Robin to that? I want to get out of pools at SKTAR but I'm afraid Robin can't take me there. There are just so many characters that force me off of him. The buffs made his reward much better but he still has the same fundamental flaws that make you bad in this game. I love having character-based existential crises but that's all I do in Smash.

Since we're doing theory-based MU charts, thought I would try and make one for Robin since he's the only character I feel like I'm allowed to talk about. This is a good deal based on theory and stuff, since I don't have meaningful experience against a few characters.

+1: :4zelda::4shulk::4charizard::4dedede::4ganondorf::4jigglypuff::4dk::4mewtwo::4bowser:
0: :4lucina::rosalina::4wario::4bowserjr::4lucario::4rob::4pacman::4drmario::4duckhunt::4falco::4samus::4feroy::4ryu::4lucas::4wiifit::4villager::4gaw:
-1: :4peach::4ness::4falcon::4pikachu::4mario::4fox::4kirby::4olimar::4sheik::4link::4littlemac::4marth::4myfriends::4luigi::4pit::4darkpit::4megaman::4metaknight::4tlink::4greninja:
-2::4diddy::4zss::4sonic:

I'm likely incredibly wrong and just suck, so feel free to yell at me as long as you explain why I am wrong.
If I had to take a crack at it, i'd say Robin's matchups against the characters that matter probably look like this:

+1: Good one
0: None
-1: :rosalina::4wario::4ness::4luigi::4diddy::4falcon::4mario::4fox::4yoshi::4zss:
-2: :4sonic::4sheik::4pikachu:

His matchup spread is pretty bad, but it's much, much better than before. Like, you're actually rewarded for opening your opponent up with Robin now, so even though most matchups are uphill battles, you have a decent chance of winning if you make the right reads.

*I only listed the characters I have knowledge on

Last edited:

Tainic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tainic
3DS FC
5327-2155-2373
As a Robin main i have to disagree with you, Robin vs Sheik is pmuch a -2 : On flat-ish stages such as FD, Duck Hunt and Smashville (Kind of.), Robin is in a situation where he has to approach, because of the needles completely hampering his projectile game : Sheik can poke at a safe distance without having to get punished because of Robin's speed, laggy Arc Fire and Thunder 1 low range (she prob wont let you charge an Elthunder to space, in the worst case scenario.)

So on flat stages you are a Robin, forced to approach, great, but the thing is that Robin is kinda eeeeh at footsies because of Levin's durability, as soon as Levin disappears, you are defenseless for a fair amount of time, so you got pretty much only a few shots at SHopped Aerials to get her : You better not screw up, while Sheik can still abuse her speed to stay out of range of your aerials, or just wait for an opening between, say, 2 Fairs to poke you with her own Bair/Fair/smthing else, or she can just keep needle space without a care in the world because you're so slow.

Now the thing is, she, too, has little room for error because if she gets caught at 50%-ish by Dthrow Arcthunder Dthrow SUpair she's pretty much dead, but a somewhat decent Sheik knows that, that's why she won't let you approach OR get forced to approach, you see what I mean ? Needles. Needles are the most important tool she got in that matchup and severely hampers Robin in every single way, Needles on a flat stage are HELL for Robin. (Flat Stages are hell for her anyway.) He will just end up trying to approach, but probably wont be able to land any meaningful string on Sheik because she's so fast and good at forcing approach and he is so slow.

Now, let's talk about platform stages, most notably T&C, Battlefield, and Delfino/Halberd-low-ceiling-crew. Platforms stages are a neat thing for Robin, since he can Arcfire much more safely because of them, by staying under one, most of the cast can't punish her. Most, but Sheik can, thanks to her speed, and, again, the needles negating one of his advantages on Platform stages, Platforms also allows her to Fair/Bair space very well, but again, you're limited in your SFair/SBair uses. While Platforms are great, as they allow Robin to pull up **** like Dthrow Arcthunder Dthrow SUpAir get on platform SUpAir, Sheik can also pull that kind of combo, and more safely, because she is fast, has an objectively better grab (Safer, easier to pull thanks to her speed, again.) and platforms also allow her to combo like crazy, while you can pull off 60% kills on the low ceiling crew, keep in mind that Sheik also benefits from it, thanks to her Dthrow frame traps (I guess Dthrow Vanish kills at around 80/90% on Halberd, smthin like that correct me if I'm wrong.) while you still have the same problem : You can't force approach because of Needles, you can't approach because of Needles and she exploits Levin's durability by staying safe while you try your hand at aerial footsies.

TLDR : While Robin has the advantage of power, Sheik has so much more in that matchup, namely, safety, speed, the ability to overwhelm Robin and to force her to approach are no joke, even if you can kill 30% sooner than Zero Suit Zelda. Sheik is, imo, one of the few matchups where Robin truly is at -2, even after the patch. (Excellent patch btw, it gave Robin one of the tools he needed the most : A good grab game to help against shielding.)

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
@Amazing Ampharos

With customs Marth is CERTAINLY top tier.

He is actually extremely oppressive and really kinda sorta...nonsense.
Just because of crescent slash?

I see its offensive potential, but isn't that kind of offset by the awful recovery?

(Not disputing your claim. Actually asking. I don't play with customs very much.)

Ghostbone

Smash Master
I don't see how Sheik is anything worse than -1. Even pre patch, the MU was hard, but far from unwinnable. The main issue is Needle Storm, and those stop being a problem once Robin has Thoron charged. In 1.10, fully charged Needles trade with ElThunder (unfavorable trade in mid/long range) and flat out lose to Thoron. You want to hit me for 11% while I blast you for 18% with a chance to kill you?
Not going to talk about the match-up as I have no idea, but I don't think you understand what the +1/+2/+3/+4 ratios represent.
-1 is almost even, a hard matchup (soft counter) is at least -2, -3 is particularly hard (strong counter) and you need to be a lot better, -4 is for all intents and purposes unwinnable if the other player knows what they're doing.
Robin isn't almost even with Sheik lol.

Last edited:

Ikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smooth_Moonman
So was Tink yet again unchanged in the recent patch? were the grab buffs placebo/deconfirmed? the update thread shows nothing.

I still feel that Tink is a sleeper high tier threat, he easily has good MUs against more than one high tier. Luigi comes to mind, and Falcon is pretty clearly at least slightly TL's advantage. The rest look mostly even, albeit Rosa probably gives us a run for our money, ZSS probably hits us hard 65:35 or worse, Pikachu is probably 60:40. But the rest are probably only 55:45 against, 50:50, or 55:45/60:40 TL favor. His frame data is great and his projectile game is considerably one of the best in the game.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
I still feel that Tink is a sleeper high tier threat[...]
ZSS probably hits us hard 65:35 or worse.
Any character that has a 65:35 or worse on their MU spread can't really even dream about being high tier. Especially if it's against a popular tournament character.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Just because of crescent slash?

I see its offensive potential, but isn't that kind of offset by the awful recovery?

(Not disputing your claim. Actually asking. I don't play with customs very much.)
He trades vertical for horizontal. So not bad. Just different. Also CS is way harder to challenge then Dolphin Slash.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
He trades vertical for horizontal. So not bad. Just different. Also CS is way harder to challenge then Dolphin Slash.
Is Dashing Assault a better choice than Shield Breaker? I reckon the approach capabilities far outweigh the niche uses of Shield Breaker, which a good player will just powershield anyway. I find it's especially useful to combat rushdown fighters; I use it as a pressure tool as well as a mixup to mitigate Lucina's mediocre range. It seems to make up for the relatively weak horizontal recovery, too, which is a plus.

You're the expert, of course, so I defer to your judgement.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I feel like the spot dodge and roll changes might be bigger than everyone thinks. Suddenly attacks that might have been bad against rolls previously are now options.

KeetZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
KeetZ_AgaiN
3DS FC
1864-9859-2090
How viable do you guys think Sonic is in the current meta?

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Is Dashing Assault a better choice than Shield Breaker? I reckon the approach capabilities far outweigh the niche uses of Shield Breaker, which a good player will just powershield anyway. I find it's especially useful to combat rushdown fighters; I use it as a pressure tool as well as a mixup to mitigate Lucina's mediocre range. It seems to make up for the relatively weak horizontal recovery, too, which is a plus.

You're the expert, of course, so I defer to your judgement.
Good players can't just powershield shieldbreaker since the marth can just charge it a few frames longer right?

I feel like shieldbreaker is one of Marth's best moves lol, I wouldn't swap it out.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I find shieldbreaker to not even be used for its namesake at high level. Its just not a difficult move to react too.

I think Dashing Assault is superior in all the ways that matter.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
@ Ghostbone Ghostbone , well I mean you can just learn to powershield on reaction. SB has a defined point of release upon full charge, it's very easy to just read the animation and react on cue.

@ Emblem Lord Emblem Lord , I think it suffers even at mid-level play. I've had some success with throwing it out as a mixup to cover a dodgy landing and that kinda thing, but I feel it's more of a party trick than anything else. Yeah, you can get a free stock out of it if it connects (which is in itself a tall order), but a good opponent won't fall for it after the first time; a really good opponent won't fall for it, full stop. I appreciate the consistency of DA. I know it has a wider range of uses other than a semi-viable scare tactic / hardly-viable stock finish.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Dashing Assault is great for a lot of MUs. It isn't necessary for others.

TriTails

Smash Lord
@ Ghostbone Ghostbone , well I mean you can just learn to powershield on reaction. SB has a defined point of release upon full charge, it's very easy to just read the animation and react on cue.
And if the Marth does not want to fully charge it? A half-charged SB can break shields already. If you are waiting for full charge, Marth can just stab you with a tippered SB and kill you at like 60%.

PS-ing SB is the same as PS-ing smash attacks. Unless you're a god at reaction don't expect much on success. The differenve is if you miss the PS you're pretty much fine against smash attacks. Whiff the PS on shield breaker and get ready to die at 40% because shield break.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Plus shield breaker is just naturally marth's longest range move right?

And with the improved cooldown it's really safe at max range.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
@ TriTails TriTails , this is true. Thus I should mention that my main issue with Shield Breaker isn't that it can be powershielded: it's that the setup is damn near impossible to connect if the opponent is doing anything other than standing directly in front of you. Sure, you can condition them to shield on reaction and buffer SB before the other fellow realises what you have in store, but I can't imagine it's a tactic with much consistency.

You could also just spotdodge or do anything to not be in range of the move when it could potentially be buffered. I really like the move, I think it's very useful if it connects and, as I say, makes for a very fun nuclear option, but I honestly find it difficult to conceive of a scenario wherein it is universally more beneficial than DA.

Of course, I don't main Marth or Lucina, hence why I requested feedback. So thanks for that!

EDIT: I guess mid-air buffer to release when you touch down is a useful tactic? Still unsure how it works if the opponent doesn't shield on reaction.

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
":4samus: is +2 against :4peach:"

also, since i'm so tempted, let me make an mu chart:
-2: :4sheik::4zss:
-1: :4greninja::4pacman::4pikachu::4megaman::4diddy::4sonic::4fox::4olimar::4link::4tlink:
0::4luigi::4metaknight::4ness::4falcon::4marth::4lucina::4mario::rosalina::4yoshi::4duckhunt::4lucario::4villagerf::4rob::4wario2:
+1: :4bowserjr::4littlemac::4mewtwo::4falco::4samus::4zelda::4charizard::4kirby::4jigglypuff::4drmario::4feroy::4darkpit::4pit::4shulk::4myfriends::4robinf::4dedede::4dk:
+2: :4gaw::4ganondorf:

???: :4bowser::4wiifit::4ryu::4miisword::4miigun::4miibrawl::4palutena::4lucas:

peach beats character who are forced to approach her or aren't fast enough to evade her pressure, but gets bodied by character who excel at camping

if someone can explain the mus i'm unsure about or want something explained, ask me. it's late so i'll answer as soon as i can tomorrow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom