• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
That's kinda hyperbolic. Eruption is only free if your recovery is slow, bad at ledge-snapping and/or limited to grabbing the edge. There's not really a huge portion of the cast with recoveries like that.
It works on characters that can't go super far with their recoveries. It works on characters like Mario or Sheik because it hits the 2 frame very easily. The only characters who should never get hit by it are absurd recoveries like Villager. It also doesn't work on Shoryu because the hitbox goes straight through the stage. Most other recoveries are just timing and reads.

I don't have tournament results, like essentially 90 percent of the people who post here. My best results in MI are just shy of top 8.

Everyone here hypes up Ganon *lol* or Link edgeguarding when they don't show at all in any kind of tournament match. With those superb edgeguarding options you'd think they'd get more play in tournament play.

I don't remember ever saying Ike was the best character in the game either, some people salty as fk Ike gets talked about at all.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Good edgeguarding? Falco. Abusive lingering aerials? Check; 3 of them. Safety? Highest double jump by default and fast and low committal aerials. Ability to spike? 2 or 5? depending on how you view autolink shenanigans. Hit stun ledge abuse? Check; one thing Blaster is actually good for. Ability to gimp? Check. Ability to outright kill? Check. Ability to hit below the ledge? Check; jab, Utilt?, Side Smash, and Down Smash. Ability to cover ledge options? Utilt, Up Smash, Nair, and Fair active frame abuse and transcendent Side Smash and intangible Down Smash. Stupid shenanigans? Check; Blaster and Reflector just rubbing in that wound even more. Capable of or has a good ledge-trump? Bair. Possibly capable of counter ledge-trumping by wall jumping and hitting back. Also, wall jump setups.

Edit: Add ledge cancel jab to the list of stupid shenanigans. Jab to Nair equals death. :p

Last edited:

Flux0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flux0r
User was warned for this post
Moving away from edgeguarding...

Since people seem to be posting tier-lists as of lately...

Here is my WIP tier-list. It's almost done, but i lack the experience and understanding of some characters(e.g. Mii Characters) which is why i want you people to educate me on why your main is too low / high.

Let's begin!

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: WIP Tier List - Planned for November

S - Super Viable: Characters with huge strengths (almost no bad matchups, invalidates others) that is seen as a dominant force in the game.

A - Viable: Characters that can easily compete with the best and be a threatening force on a national scale.

B - Viable, but has flaws: Characters that can place high and achieve victory with enough skill, but has visible flaws that might hinder them.

C - Semi Viable: Characters that can perform well on most tourneys but is held back by some unfavorable matchups or weaknesses.

D - Low Viability: Characters that are considered in general unviable because of their few uses, poor matchups and so on. Can place decently, but requires an excessive amount of skill to do so.

E - Unviable: Characters with major weaknesses, their strengths becomes often hardly noticeable because of this.

F - Trash: Characters with such staggering weaknesses that it makes them unable to win anything.

Stuff i need information for:

- The proper arrangement of B, C and D-tier.
- Is Roy B-?
- Should there be less or more tiers?

The reason why B+ shares the same colour as A is because they are almost there, but not quite.

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
Oh dear God no.

Edit: wow I forgot how many characters there are in this game.

I stopped trying to talk nice when Larry started posting about Ganondorf.

or when people put Ness at top 10.
It's best to not look directly at Larry's posts.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

Here is my WIP tier-list. It's almost done, but i lack the experience and understanding of some characters(e.g. Mii Characters) which is why i want you people to educate me on why your main is too low / high.

Let's begin!

S - Super Viable: Characters with huge strengths (almost no bad matchups, invalidates others) that is seen as a dominant force in the game.

A - Viable: Characters that can easily compete with the best and be a threatening force on a national scale.

B - Viable, but has flaws: Characters that can place high and achieve victory with enough skill, but has visible flaws that might hinder them.

C - Semi Viable: Characters that can perform well on most tourneys but is held back by some unfavorable matchups or weaknesses.

D - Low Viability: Characters that are considered in general unviable because of their few uses, poor matchups and so on. Can place decently, but requires an excessive amount of skill to do so.

E - Unviable: Characters with major weaknesses, their strengths becomes often hardly noticeable because of this.

F - Trash: Characters with such staggering weaknesses that it makes them unable to win anything.

- Is Roy B-?

The reason why B+ shares the same colour as A is because they are almost there, but not quite.
There's a lot of questionable placements there... Luigi, Kirby, Roy, and Yoshi are seriously overrated, and Lucina and Mii Swordfighter (maybe Gunner too depending on how much customization he gets) are much too low. Also I have a problem with Ness being in even top fifteen but whatever...

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace

Let's begin!

- Is Roy B-?

Is this customless for the Miis? Because if it is, then Mii Brawler, Swordfighter, and Gunner all need to move up WAY more. If it's not, then Mii Swordfighter is still far too low, and Mii Brawler should be MUCH lower.

Kirby's also too high here; C would be better for him.

Also don't get why Shiek is in her own tier. Yes, she is indisputably the best character, but it's not like she's in a league of her own, especially compared to the previous top tiers in the other games.

There's a lot of questionable placements there... Luigi, Kirby, Roy, and Yoshi are seriously overrated, and Lucina and Mii Swordfighter (maybe Gunner too depending on how much customization he gets) are much too low. Also I have a problem with Ness being in even top fifteen but whatever...
Totally agree with Kirby, Yoshi, and Luigi being overrated, but Roy? Yes, in no way is he high tier, but he seems to be fine where he's at, especially since the list already states him as being worse than 30 other characters in the game. It almost seems like you think he's bottom tier or something lol (I'm obviously kidding about the last part, but to be serious, but where do you think Roy should be?)

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Sheik in her own tier?

Yoshi and Luigi are far too high, neither have the results to justify those placements, particularly Yoshi.

Pikachu and Sonic need to switch and even then Pika is probably too high.

Greninja is a bit too low, Wario is a lot too low.

Routa

Smash Lord
As far as I know Miis go like:
Guest size no other moves allowed: Swordfighter>Gunner>Brawler
Guest size other moves allowed: Swordfighter > Gunner >= Brawler
All sizes allowed as well as moves: Brawler > Swordfighter >=Gunner

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay

Let's begin!

- Is Roy B-?

Pikachu's a little too high. Luigi is way too high. Lucario should be B-. Zard is too low. Switch with lil Mac, he's way too high. That ocean of characters between Marth and Lucina is kinda dumb. Doc is kinda high but idk maybe I'm crazy? Bowser should be E tier. Move yoshi to the bottom of B+

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Totally agree with Kirby, Yoshi, and Luigi being overrated, but Roy? Yes, in no way is he high tier, but he seems to be fine where he's at, especially since the list already states him as being worse than 30 other characters in the game. It almost seems like you think he's bottom tier or something lol (I'm obviously kidding about the last part, but to be serious, but where do you think Roy should be?)
Honestly? Below Marth. Maybe Marth could get bumped up a tier first but I don't see any way Roy could be better then Marth.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Honestly? Below Marth. Maybe Marth could get bumped up a tier first but I don't see any way Roy could be better then Marth.
I think Marth could be bumped up to around where Roy is.

To be honest, you can't really compare the two cause they both function completely differently in terms of their play style. I think they're both interchangeable, but I really don't want to bring up another Marth v. Roy discussion again, so I'll just leave it at that.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I'm sorry, but as a main of both, Little Mac is not better than Charizard in MU's, especially against top-tier characters. Mac's armor does not make up for how easy it is to gimp him, I'm sorry. A simple NAir from most of the top tiers can absolutely decimate Mac's recovery.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero

Let's begin!

- Is Roy B-?

I'm not sure what's worse about this list. Zelda being the worst character, or Bowser better than Dedede.

Other problems include Greninja over Pac-Man, Marcina fourteen whole spots away from each other, Kirby in C+ tier, Yoshi better than MK, and (Dark) Pit in high B tier.

Now, I created a tier list about a month ago, but there are several things I realized are wrong about it. I might fix it up and post it here.

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure what's worse about this list. Zelda being the worst character, or Bowser better than Dedede.

Other problems include Greninja over Pac-Man, Marcina fourteen whole spots away from each other, Kirby in C+ tier, Yoshi better than MK, and (Dark) Pit in high B tier.

Now, I created a tier list about a month ago, but there are several things I realized are wrong about it. I might fix it up and post it here.
The cycle of unimaginable violence begins anew...

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I think Marth could be bumped up to around where Roy is.

To be honest, you can't really compare the two cause they both function completely differently in terms of their play style. I think they're both interchangeable, but I really don't want to bring up another Marth v. Roy discussion again, so I'll just leave it at that.
Meh. Don't see Marth getting that far, not without some buff or technique.

Myself I think they're a lot closer in design then people think. The gist is that Roy has better damage output and KO power, but he dies faster for it. Much faster. Add in a bunch of other aspects of his that are worse, namely his sword mechanics, then I just don't see much of a reason to use him over Marth unless you like red hair. I'll go so far as to say he's legitimately outclassed in every meaningful way by Lucina in customs, even.

Suppose I'll end it here, though.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
By the definition of D-tier in this list I think that's where Mewtwo should be. His weaknesses are big but they don't eclipse his strengths like Ganondorf or Zelda where being super safe can negate their strong points.

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron

Please at least explain your reasoning...

Dedede has his problems. He might have great range, but he has horrid mobility, slow kill moves, and an iffy projectile that can just as often be used against him. Compare that with Bowser, who has access to a command grab, a superbly save option in SH AC bair, and generally solid power without sacrificing too much speed.

Zelda is my main and an enigma, which is why she ends up on the bottom every time. She's a character who wants to rush in with 2 half-decent approach options, who wants to pressure the opponent without any options that are consistently safe on shield, who wants to force the opponent to approach when she has no way of scaring an opponent from long distance. Still, I believe her to be viable (even from the bottom of the barrel), and will answer any questions people have as to how that could be possible.

Last edited:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
I'll bring this up again because I've been conflicted about this but I'm leaning towards a negative outlook again:

What are the general reasons for thinking Marth and Lucina should be higher than bottom 10-15 and bottom 5-8 respectively? They have decent mobility, good frame data and good disjointed range, but no real combo game, no grab confirms and bad reward off of them, and a lack of reliable kill moves and setups especially for Lucina. Mediocre damage per hit as well except on Marth's tippers. If you avoid their smashes, which is easy because they're stationary ground moves, they will have serious trouble killing you except by edgeguards, especially Lucina whose aerials should literally never kill outside of offstage. You never see these characters get any results either, so why is Marth for instance often put above 10, sometimes 15 or even 20 characters? Which characters have less going for them than Marth has besides Jigglypuff, Zelda, Mac, Shulk, Lucina and Ganondorf? I think you could argue maybe 4-6 more characters but then it gets blurry.

I think the outlook on Marth, and to an extent Lucina with him, is blurred by their fundamentally good tools and mobility (except dancing blade being dysfunctional), but the fact is they don't get nearly enough reward off of winning neutral, can't keep advantage well enough and can't land kills nearly as easily as many characters around their level can. Their disadvantage isn't particularly noteworthy either. If they got Robin's dthrow (for early combos and later fsmash confirms) and dancing blade started actually working, I could see things being a lot different, but they're far from it right now.

There are a lot of questionable things but Zelda being last is not one of them. What a trash char. I cant think of any character being worse than her.
:4jigglypuff:

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Jigglypuff's air game and recovery is way better than either Marth or Lucina's, and she has better range because of her fast air speed. letting her chain aerials.
She's super light, gets demolished by shields (even after the patch), and having good airspeed doesn't make your range good. She has a hard time killing considering her b-air comes out on frame 13 and has the duration of a SINGLE FRAME, her combos are mediocre because her range and she's easy to outspace. She gets utterly destroyed by disjoints too.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
People saying Jigglypuff is worse than Zelda is one of the biggest reasons why I am losing hope for humanity

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
Then...why isn't Luigi in B+ or B? Also, I'd get Greninja to at least B or B+. I feel as if B- is simply too low when he has seen good results and his recent buffs have only made him better.

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
People saying Jigglypuff is worse than Zelda is one of the biggest reasons why I am losing hope for humanity
Zelda's been getting consistent buffs through patches; it's understandable why people find her better than Jiggly.

And even if Jiggly is better than Zelda, it's not like she's leagues above her. They're both still incredibly underwhelming either way.

Considering Zelda to be better than Jiggly is nowhere near as far fetched as you think it is.

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
The thing with Zelda is that she has a lot of good strengths but at the same time her multitude of bad weaknesses cripple her.

Puff has a couple of good things and a couple of bad things, but her bad things cripple her almost as much as Zelda.

It's all up to opinion (I think Zelda is worse) but the difference is not even a tier apart.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Sideb also has next to no threat in neutral. It's reactable (if they don't commit to anything, which you shouldn't against him) unless he's really close to the target, in which case it's super unsafe to be at that range in neutral anyway.

Ganondorf gets better results than Bowser and Charizard because they don't have high level players. Also I've seen some Verm's matches, people aren't playing the match up properly. Versing Ganondorf is kind of like versing Little Mac. If you want to play it properly you stop playing traditional Smash and you degenerate the game into a minigame. It sounds stupid but it's the truth.

Optimal play against Ganondorf for most characters is just moving around and shielding, and occasionally safely zoning with aerials just for the sake of not being too predictable. Then either you punish something on block, or wait for him to commit to something and punish it. Any character with a semblance of mobility or some kind of long ranged punish like a good dash attack or tether grab can do this all day to Ganondorf in neutral.

You basically just bait with unpredictable movement and not commit to anything. The reason why this doesn't work on other characters is because they have multiple options that aren't reactable that aren't all countered by the one defensive option.

The only reason why players like Verm are getting results is because people are playing how they'd play against other characters. If you play against him the way you do against other characters, then yeah he's fine because he actually can earn advantaged state and terroirse you with reads. But if you just play really anal there's nothing he can do.
You're 80% on the bullseye, 20% on the archery instructor behind you.

I've said it since the beginning, and though my opinion has changed in degree, it hasn't in kind, and that's that Ganondorf is next to helpless against really anal players. It's by that reasoning, however, that I have to call you on the idea that I get results just because my opponents are ignorant to the MU. My region is replete with tremendously campy and non-commital players. Some, granted, aren't. But I think one would be remiss to say that my match against, say, Kimidori, was the result of him letting me get away with murder (:ganondorf:). Quite the contrary, I had to work my big ass off to gain ground. But the next thing which I'll grant you is that Ganon as a character didn't have a lot to do with the outcome.

In other words, you're absolutely right: this is one thing I've professed <passionately> from the start: against shields -- those of especially mobile characters in particular -- Ganon's no longer able to consistently rely on his strengths. I've played my share of people who know how to play passively in an expert way, and as I mentioned before, Ganon's MO thus goes from high-reward set-ups and the consequent psychological dominance, leading to fatal mistakes to wars of attrition, poking for DTilts. Ganon play in these cases is a lot less beautiful, and a lot less ostensibly impressive. It's like a bullet-hell game. Everything looks really intimidating until you realize there are safe spots on screen and openings. Once you recognize those safe spots, you'll rarely get hit.

In short, fighting these kinds of people doesn't render Ganon nonviable. Rather, with sufficient skill and patience, Ganon can manipulate movements, force reactions and so forth. But his success rate significantly drops. If I'm good at nothing else, then I'm good at being patient and successfully planning several steps ahead. If a Ganon can do this, he'll still suffer, but he can still win.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'll bring this up again because I've been conflicted about this but I'm leaning towards a negative outlook again:

What are the general reasons for thinking Marth and Lucina should be higher than bottom 10-15 and bottom 5-8 respectively? They have decent mobility, good frame data and good disjointed range, but no real combo game, no grab confirms and bad reward off of them, and a lack of reliable kill moves and setups especially for Lucina. Mediocre damage per hit as well except on Marth's tippers. If you avoid their smashes, which is easy because they're stationary ground moves, they will have serious trouble killing you except by edgeguards, especially Lucina whose aerials should literally never kill outside of offstage. You never see these characters get any results either, so why is Marth for instance often put above 10, sometimes 15 or even 20 characters? Which characters have less going for them than Marth has besides Jigglypuff, Zelda, Mac, Shulk, Lucina and Ganondorf? I think you could argue maybe 4-6 more characters but then it gets blurry.

I think the outlook on Marth, and to an extent Lucina with him, is blurred by their fundamentally good tools and mobility (except dancing blade being dysfunctional), but the fact is they don't get nearly enough reward off of winning neutral, can't keep advantage well enough and can't land kills nearly as easily as many characters around their level can. Their disadvantage isn't particularly noteworthy either. If they got Robin's dthrow (for early combos and later fsmash confirms) and dancing blade started actually working, I could see things being a lot different, but they're far from it right now.
I might be biased... Marth's the only one around there I'd say Pit doesn't have a large advantage over.

Actually, I don't see Marth having a ton of terrible matchups. A lot of meh ones, but not terrible ones. Then there's other characters in that area like Mac, DH or Falco who have more apparent bad matchups and other problems. Marth is simply on the weak side and doesn't have good ways to kill. Mac and DH basically require a master to even function, but Marth with a bit more skill then his opponent can get the read or two necessary to close out a stock. It's kind of the same situation Dorf is in... You find a player who's moderately more skilled then you and suddenly their problems don't seem quite as apparent.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Just thought I should remind the world why Charizard isn't bottom tier:

Strengths:
• Lots of super armored and heavy armored moves
• good and dangerous recovery
• amazing kill throw (Mewtwo levels of strong iirc)
• solid combo throw
• auto-canceling fair and nair
• Rock Smash covers most landing and can bail Zard
out of strings and combos
• Flamethrower beats out weak projectiles (i.e.
Pellets and uncharged projectiles.), stops ground
approaches, and gimps recoveries.
• great moves for punishing opponents
• great OOS options ( shield nerf tho)
• lives long and kills stupid early with rage.
• not a super hard character to learn, like Sheik or
Ryu
• good grab range for a non tether
• can space with Dtilt, jab, and aerials

Weaknesses:
• Easy to combo (if you know how to work around rock smash)
• can't deal with powerful projectiles (i.e.: Needles, Boomerang, Metal Blade)
• not a hard MU to learn
• landings can be better
• smash attacks aren't safe usually

Flux0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flux0r
UPDATE: Over two hours have passed, so let's round up:

• A - Viable: Characters that can easily compete with the best and be a threatening force on a national scale

:4luigi:
    I must admit, this made me chuckle. Despite his low usage and a$$ Sheik and ZSS matchup, he still gets more spotlight than some of the characters below him. Maybe he belongs more in B+ tho.
  • Is this customless for the Miis? Because if it is, then Mii Brawler, Swordfighter, and Gunner all need to move up WAY more.
    I assume most people could tell by looking at the Pauletena placing. I'm not really convinced, they'll stay where they are.
  • Sheik in her own tier?
    She's the only one that fits the criteria for an S-tier ranking.
  • By the definition of D-tier in this list I think that's where Mewtwo should be. His weaknesses are big but they don't eclipse his strengths like Ganondorf or Zelda where being super safe can negate their strong points.
    You have a point, i'll reconsider his placing.
  • Now, I created a tier list about a month ago, but there are several things I realized are wrong about it. I might fix it up and post it here.
    What have i done...
  • That ocean of characters between Marth and Lucina is kinda dumb.
    Not really, i was already hesitant putting Marth this high. She's pretty bad.
Remember, it's WIP.
The list will get really blurry after B+ because these characters have few results or documentation.
Which is why some are just placeholders.

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
She's the only one that fits the criteria for an S-tier ranking.
ZSS?
Not really, i was already hesitant putting Marth this high. She's pretty bad.
The difference between Marth and Lucina is literally just no tipper. Nothing else (well, she's a few pixels shorter, but whatever). While that puts Marth as definitely better than Lucina, it does not justify a 14 character difference. They are 2 characters apart, max.
Seriously, we've had these conversations (both tier list and Marthcina differences) before many, many times. If you make a tier list (which is discouraged already), you're going to have to explain discrepancies like these when you post it.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
mfw people are caring about an amateur tier list despite us knowing better than that

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I find Samus' placement intriguing. Not outrageous or wrong, just intriguing.

:006: <3 :150:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Man, why don't we have a community tier list? Reddit's are always reactionary and Eventhubs.......lawlz

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I don't think anyone cares that much in particular, but you must care enough since you mentioned it.

Smash is srs business.
I care about people caring about an amateur tier list and potentially derailing this thread with "This guy is too low, this guy is too high" with out adding any reason why or some other guys thinking that they can also post their own amateur tier list which creates more derailing posts.

It's a derail feedback loop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom