• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damandatwin

Smash Apprentice
well at least we can still throw Rosa, but i think it's silly that it's so easy to get punished for getting a grab. given this exact thing was nerfed in the past though i wonder if it was an intentional change.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Woah guys. The Marth and Lucina shield breaker nerf makes logical sense now. Because of the increased shieldstun, imagine those moves at their prime.

...huh (salty about Luigi but maybe it'll be Sheik and Rosa's turn soon)

edit: just thought of Ryus shield breaker move...oh ****
Yeah, Collarbone Breaker is apparently now inescapable from first hit to second hit. Fun!

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105
So, unless this is just a list of every single change the character has ever gotten, Mii Swordfighter had a massive wall of text worth of parameter changes this patch http://opensa.dantarion.com/s4/mastercore3/diff/144-to-160/miiswordsman

(I didn't see @Antonykun post anything about this so I'm assuming no one has brought it up yet)

Edit: Also some of the changes in this patch might just be victory screen tweaks
example w/ Robin https://youtu.be/N3hAFEJmeoU vs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOZUDkQBLx8

Last edited:

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
Personally I thought it was dumb that you could just drop shield on Ryu's collarbone breaker in the first place.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Looks like people are going to have be rather decisive with their throw options against Rosalina.

Do we know if projectiles have the equivalent shield stun formula that normal hitboxes do?
Based on these blockstun numbers for Link gathered by @LordWilliam1234 and the new formula listed for blockstun in the patch thread [(damage / 1.8)+3], no, it's not the same for normal hitboxes!... but it doesn't follow the old formula either, and blockstun for projectiles is still higher than it used to be, apparently.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
[(damage / 1.8) + 3] isn't actually confirmed for regular moves, is it? I think Shaya Shaya merely suggested it.

:059:

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
The weakening of defensive options (shield, roll, airdodge) has the general effect of making mobility and range matter more. Characters with poor mobility and/or poor range can exploit defensive mixups in order to patch up those weaknesses; it's one of the reasons that Ganon can perform competently vs. certain campy characters. Reduce the strength of defensive options, and you reduce the strength of these characters.

What do characters who are poor in neutral (like Game and Watch) tend to do? They dash and shield, or throw out spotdodges, or short hop airdodge... basically abusing universal defensive options to patch up holes in their character-specific kits.

Characters with high mobility don't need to rely on these defensive options as much as they can be in their optimal spacing more easily just by moving around... and characters with high range, conversely, are harder to get in on unless you have said high mobility.

Biggest losers of the patch relatively are characters who lack good mobility AND good range... Luigi and Kirby come to mind.

Biggest winners relatively are characters with both good mobility AND good range... like Greninja and Ike (who has a good initial dash and good airspeed).

Sheik, Fox, and Pikachu benefit a lot due to their character archetypes.

Last edited:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah we don't know the exact formula yet, but Shaya's seems to be the closest bet so far.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
The gyro in itself is something that entire essays can be written on
Haha. So true.

Even so, watching folks in the vein of Mr Eric and Tantalus, the way they can keep out even the most aggressive of opponents and control the stage - magic science.
When people ask me how to play ROB, my response is "be as quick as you can."
If your opponent's char is quicker than you, then try to reach their pace, or at least make them think you have.

ROB has a lot of tools. And this meta is soooo very young that it thrills me to see where ROB goes in a few yrs. I already see the potential. But it's going to take a lot of work before I master some techniques.

To be completely tourney viable, if that's possible, ROB will require a very high learning curve as the meta evolves. But do I see it? I...really think I do.

p.s. what does CQC stand for?

Last edited:

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
Why is it OK for Dk to have an easybake ding dong KO at 70% or ZSS down throw up air to up b KO at 50% Luigi had multiple weaknesses and bad matchup and didn't deserve to be nerfed because players refuse to learn the matchup
The year is 20XX. DK doesn't have weaknesses or bad matchups but Luigi does.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
p.s. what does CQC stand for?
Close Quarters Combat

Not really a fan of the term since there's more to it than the name implies, but blame Snake for bringing it along to Smash Bros.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Mixed patch for Greninja.

On one hand the shieldstun change makes Nair a lot safer, I can't guarantee I was frame perfect but I wasn't able to punish Nair on shield with Mario's f6 grab. Greninja was able to spotdodge. Greninja himself doesn't really suffer from the extra shieldstun because his OoS options were garbage anyway and he should never be shielding too much.

Ftilt is now an even safer poke and still has ridiculous range.

Random 0.66x frame speed multipliers on 2 things but we don't know what that means?

On the other hand the Luigi nerfs will hamper one of Greninja's key selling points, beating Luigi quite handily, if Luigi drops in usage. Luigi dropping could also lead to a rise in Fox usage which is our 2nd worst MU.

Sheik will likely still beat Greninja hard enough to make him unviable and Fox isn't far behind her but at least now we can probably Nair their shields with a lower risk of punishment.

Sky Falcon

Smash Rookie
How do the shield stun changes affect peach? I assume it makes her much better at pressuring your shield. This might be the small push she needed to become a more viable character.

So in general, moves are safer on shield?

Pyr

Smash Lord
How do the shield stun changes affect peach? I assume it makes her much better at pressuring your shield. This might be the small push she needed to become a more viable character.

So in general, moves are safer on shield?
I can't test atm but I bet DAir strings on shield is now a thing. That, and Dair > Nair on shield would be safe pressure.

Damn this patch was basically one where everything is going to shift. Everything.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Biggest winners relatively are characters with both good mobility AND good range... like Greninja and Ike (who has a good initial dash and good airspeed).

I don't know if I would be calling Ike a winner in this patch. Its hard to tell at this point.

On one hand, ya our aerials are safer. Unless we completely screw up our Nair spacing its going to be really hard for a lot of characters to punish. Bair/Fair/Uair are in the same boat as well. Heck Fair might be flat out unpunishable and same with Dtilt when spaced.

On the other hand: projectiles are even more difficult to get past now and we have to worry about shield breaking strings and all of that more than some characters do. Ike has a very good dash -> shield yes, but if hit stun is heavily cranked up it may ultimately not matter that much anymore. More shield stun means its harder for Ike to land that critical grab to get to his combos in the first place. And if shield breaks are going to be happening a lot more often, Ike's issue of not having very good methods of trying to break combos is going to be more of a critical flaw.

In addition, Ike doesn't gain any shield breaking combos as far as I know. Nair -> Jab Combo is probably a thing and deal a lot of shield damage, but I don't think it will be enough to actually break shields. So on one hand Ike's approach options against non-projectile characters are certainly improved. On the other, approaching against projectiles is more difficult and we may be ultimately falling behind a number of characters in terms of being able to get to combos. Its like his strengths and weaknesses were both increased in a way.

Its going to be a very weird set of weeks after BH5, that's for sure.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Well, um...

I think Peach is top tier now LOL. She got so much better now that she can eat shields (which she was already good at). Dair>Nair was already good because Nair was -6 on shield, so quite a few characters couldn't do much to it if it was spaced. Now it's safe on shield. I haven't played around with the new patch yet, but I'm looking forward to being top tier.

Also SHAD is probably better than running shield for her now. I'll try it out.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
This is a fundamental change, like literally. The game just basically gained Melee-levels of shieldstun overnight, and that is not an exaggeration, if the proposed changes are accurate.
It actually is higher than Melee's if that formula is correct.

Melee is (X + 4.45)/2.235 the new Smash 4 one is [(damage / 1.8)+3]

Under this pretense,

(1 + 4.45)/2.235 =1.99* or rather 2

(1/1.8) +3 = 3.55

Smash 4 wins out with more if 1% is done for damage.

(20 + 4.45)/2.235 = 10.93

(20/1.8) +3 = 14.11

Smash 4 wins out if 20% is done.

~

It looks like at all stages of realistic damage if that formula is correct Smash 4 has higher shield stun than Melee.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326

Yup Luigi is pretty much useless now...
This only really affects when an opponent can't DI. Plus, in a competitive level, this won't be used very much because the opponent now knows of it and can (and will) beat it out with something even more stupid.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Well, um...

I think Peach is top tier now LOL. She got so much better now that she can eat shields (which she was already good at). Dair>Nair was already good because Nair was -6 on shield, so quite a few characters couldn't do much to it if it was spaced. Now it's safe on shield. I haven't played around with the new patch yet, but I'm looking forward to being top tier.

Also SHAD is probably better than running shield for her now. I'll try it out.
Sounds like a knee-jerk to me tbh. A lack of offensive capabilities isn't what makes her losing matchups losing matchups. Higher shieldstun makes her better at something she's already good at so it may polarize winning match even more in her favor. But I don't see how it allows her to even up matchups like Villager or Fox - whom both possibly benefit from the increased shieldstun quite a bit themselves.

teddystalin

Smash Apprentice
I think we've reached the point where theorycraft won't get us anywhere... Not much point in the heavy attacks vs light attacks debate without any data.
"Alright guys, it's been 5 hours. Wrap up the interesting conversation so we can go back to ripping on random tier lists."

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I mean it's clear to all of us that all we're doing right now is speculating.

It's mad fun though.

LightLV

Smash Ace
The weakening of defensive options (shield, roll, airdodge) has the general effect of making mobility and range matter more. Characters with poor mobility and/or poor range can exploit defensive mixups in order to patch up those weaknesses; it's one of the reasons that Ganon can perform competently vs. certain campy characters.

What do characters who are poor in neutral (like Game and Watch) tend to do? They dash and shield, or throw out spotdodges, or short hop airdodge... basically abusing universal defensive options to patch up holes in their character-specific kits.

Characters with high mobility don't need to rely on these defensive options as much as they can be in their optimal spacing more easily just by moving around... and characters with range, conversely, are harder to get in on unless you have said high mobility.

Biggest losers of the patch relatively are characters who lack good mobility AND good range... Luigi and Kirby come to mind.

This is actually a buff to offensive options, namely high damage ones. But the nature of the forumla (the +3 part) means it does infact benefit everyone.

This really does change everything. Ultimately NOBODY is a loser in this patch, because what actually got buffed was offensive pressure, something the entire game was lacking, because the only ones capable of it were characters like Shiek, Fox and Pikachu. Shiek doesn't benefit from this nearly as much as characters like Peach, Ness, Yoshi, ect who all have extremely potent aerials that deal high damage.

Granted she DOES indeed get even better because of it, but the proportional gain isn't what most people think it is. It's higher but doesn't scale in her favor.

Do i think she's been knocked down on the tier list? Haha, no, she's still about to dominate. But we're about to see a different type of domination, if the youtube videos i've seen in the last few hours are any indication.

like #HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu said, the values are actually higher than Melee, and this is the first time any offensive engine value has ever been tweaked ABOVE what Melee's was.

So, yeah, the game has changed. A good starting point is, literally everyone is safer than before, and shieldbreak is a danger now.

Last edited:

Pyr

Smash Lord
Could someone confirm that Jab > Jab > Side B with Jigs is a real, inescapable thing? I don't have a (competent) human parter to test with.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Stop being killjoys. Patch time comes but once a year.

Or every two months but w/e

Sounds like a knee-jerk to me tbh. A lack of offensive capabilities isn't what makes her losing matchups losing matchups. Higher shieldstun makes her better at something she's already good at so it may polarize winning match even more in her favor. But I don't see how it allows her to even up matchups like Villager or Fox - whom both possibly benefit from the increased shieldstun quite a bit themselves.

Agreed. For characters who already had good shield pressure (Peach, Sheik, maybe Fox) this isn't a major change. It's the characters who cross the line from "sorta safe on block" to "safe on block" that are more interesting.

EDIT: Although yeah this could be pretty big for Sheik. And maybe Fox because he wasn't THAT safe before.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
These shield stun mechanics seems to have made Sheik's Needles, Jab and Nair/Fair even more stupid.
Will be testing more but as of right now, it looks even better than before.
:196:

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
Stop being killjoys. Patch time comes but once a year.

Or every two months but w/e

Agreed. For characters who already had good shield pressure (Peach, Sheik, maybe Fox) this isn't a major change. It's the characters who cross the line from "sorta safe on block" to "safe on block" that are more interesting.
hey bro I need some help with raiden's level 1 kill confirm

LightLV

Smash Ace
Yeah, from what i'm hearing, it's pretty significant. Zelda in particular has gotten far more dangerous just by nature of her attacks. If Bowser/Kirby/Yoshi catches you in shield with his Down-B, you are FORCED to eat a shieldbreak.

tools that used to be niche are possibly about to become strategy-centric.

Last edited:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Shoehorning an out right offensive, rushdown heavy mechanic like this could further invalidate defensive characters or simply force characters to play more offensively.....even if they are lacking the move kit to do so. Then again this is speculation, but I have a strong feeling this is what is going to happen.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738

EDIT: Although yeah this could be pretty big for Sheik. And maybe Fox because he wasn't THAT safe before.
One should also keep in mind that if you were already safe on block, the increased shield stun can possibly give you legit block strings, which gives increased shield pressure. Some characters were just a few frames off of having this, but now it's looking to be a common practice.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Shoehorning an out right offensive, rushdown heavy mechanic like this could further invalidate defensive characters or simply force characters to play more offensively.....even if they are lacking the move kit to do so. Then again this is speculation, but I have a strong feeling this is what is going to happen.
In fairness, zoning will also be harder to overcome. You'll be stuck in your shield for longer every time you get hit by a projectile and will struggle more to approach.

Powershielding will alleviate this somewhat. But against characters with chargeable projectiles that can beat powershield reaction time (Greninja, both Links) powershielding isn't all that reliable. Obviously Sheik's needles benefit too since they can beat reaction time however you use them.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93

Well, that's how you get through Aura Sphere Charge. Should be simple, not easy, to do now since you can't roll anymore so it would just make you shield DI instead. You're sunk if your shield's not full though.

Ledge Aura Spheres are an issue too, though some projectiles and Uairs could break through it or force Lucario into shield with a charged Aura Sphere so he can't trap again.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Alright, tested a lot with Spirst.

The main two things I have is that Lucas is great and Kirby sucks.

I'm not too knowledgeable on pre-patch Lucas, but post-patch his F-Air, F-Tilt, D-Tilt, Jab 1, N-Air/D-Air cross up, PK Fire and Z-Air are all safe on shield. PK Fire and Z-Air were safe before, but you had to super space them. Spacing is a lot less strict on them now, so that'll be fun to mess around with.

From our tests, Kirby has nothing that's safe aside from pre-patch things like reverse U-Air. F-Air and D-Air cross up are generally better, but they're still not safe. I really don't know how Kirby is going to do anything now because he can't approach at all, everything he has is unsafe and he's going to struggle punishing much more.

I'll play around with it more but honestly I'm contemplating dropping Kirby. He's really not going to be able to function anymore.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
On the contrary. If moves universally become safer on shield, then shield becomes a less powerful approaching tool and camping becomes a necessary "evil" in many scenarios as a result. Especially weaker characters that don't really have a lot of approach options other than moving in -> shield will have to resort to camping and stalling out of necessity.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
On the contrary. If moves universally become safer on shield, then shield becomes a less powerful approaching tool and camping becomes a necessary "evil" in many scenarios as a result. Especially weaker characters that don't really have a lot of approach options other than moving in -> shield will have to resort to camping and stalling out of necessity.

Yes but some character that used to lack approaching tools gained some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom