• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
My personal opinion

:4bowser::4bowserjr::4dedede::4charizard::4dk::4drmario::4falco::4ganondorf::4gaw::4jigglypuff::4littlemac::4lucina::4mewtwo::4miigun::4miisword::4palutena::4robinm::4samus:

Customs
:4bowserjr::4dedede::4drmario::4ganondorf::4gaw::4jigglypuff::4littlemac::4lucina::4mewtwo::4miigun::4miisword::4robinm::4samus::4charizard::4bowser::4marth::4falco::4duckhunt:

I feel like its her community that holds her back most. They don't have that much faith in her which is extremely unhealthy for advancing a meta. Yes they are helping but if they were more optimistic, it would be much better.
Custom Marth i.e Sky-King Marth is WAY better then anything Zelda.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Range would not be an issue if he wasn't so floaty (Mario) or had easy way get in (Luigi). As far as I know MK has hard time getting "in". I mean I would understand his placing if he had anything to make up his lack of safe approach. He is kinda forced to attack from above and that is the last place where you want to be in this game. I'm not sure tho if increasing his range would help, but that is the most common complain I have heard.

But... I'm not MK expert so you can go ahead and correct me.
What are you sayin', he's a fast faller with the 10th best run speed, and his dash grab slide like falcon's without whiffing on short characters. And if he feels otherwise he can dash attack or roll everywhere and stay unpunished. And i'm happy he does have some trouble getting in, since when he does get in you're dead 6 sec later.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
My personal opinion

:4bowser::4bowserjr::4dedede::4charizard::4dk::4drmario::4falco::4ganondorf::4gaw::4jigglypuff::4littlemac::4lucina::4mewtwo::4miigun::4miisword::4palutena::4robinm::4samus:

Customs
:4bowserjr::4dedede::4drmario::4ganondorf::4gaw::4jigglypuff::4littlemac::4lucina::4mewtwo::4miigun::4miisword::4robinm::4samus::4charizard::4bowser::4marth::4falco::4duckhunt:

I feel like its her community that holds her back most. They don't have that much faith in her which is extremely unhealthy for advancing a meta. Yes they are helping but if they were more optimistic, it would be much better.
Optimism is good and all, but I think you're taking it too far. Maybe I don't understand Zelda well enough, but I'm not seeing how she's above 18 characters.

Tell me, what am I not getting about Zelda that makes her this good? You've said some stuff earlier in this thread, but I don't see why that would put Zelda above all these characters.

And why are Marth and Duck Hunt worse than Zelda in customs? That makes 0 sense to me.

Routa

Smash Lord
What are you sayin', he's a fast faller with the 10th best run speed, and his dash grab slide like falcon's without whiffing on short characters. And if he feels otherwise he can dash attack or roll everywhere and stay unpunished. And i'm happy he does have some trouble getting in, since when he does get in you're dead 6 sec later.
Really? Well damn. Now I feel like completely idiot :S Maybe I should just stay back and watch you talking? And thanks for correcting me mate. I think I will jump back in when you mention Wario.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I find it odd to have MK over Wario. Could someone explain why? I mean yeah MK has good "strings" and one of the best edgeguarding and air game, but his range does not make him in my opinion a big threat.

Edit: had to rechoose words.
And Wario's does?

Those are not strings, those are combos by the way.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
since when he does get in you're dead 6 sec later.
is it really 6 seconds long? Maybe 6 up airs... which are like 3 a second right? :p

Really? Well damn. Now I feel like completely idiot :S Maybe I should just stay back and watch you talking? And thanks for correcting me mate. I think I will jump back in when you mention Wario.
We all learn and often it's better to come off in a more questioning tone by asking "what makes Meta Knight better than a character like Wario, isn't his range an issue?". Lurking can also be helpful. Oh but in general, Wario is disgustingly under represented and talked about, so although being top 20 there's probably a lot less out there (and here) than there should be. How much higher do you think Wario should be and what is currently 'missing'?

Last edited:

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
I personally place wario around the 12-13th place, putting alph out of the 15. But that's might be a regional biased.

Ulevo

Smash Master
If we were to take those top 15 characters and call them the viable characters, which is very close to my own personal list (with the addition of Wario and Villager for 17), here is a list of characters that I would say are on the cusp of viability, or tier II in a three tier system:

:4bowserjr::4darkpit::4pit::4duckhunt::4gaw::4myfriends::4kirby::4link::4lucario::4megaman::4tlink::4drmario::4greninja:

I have omitted the recent DLC characters due to lack of exposure and data and Pac-Man because I honestly am not sure where he should reside. I am unsure about Link but a recent player in NorCal who played Link made me view the character a little differently.

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
I would be so happy if the results of the tally were presented to the people surveyed, who were then given another chance to make alterations once they saw how the characters lined up. Iteration is such a good thing :(

But alas, my anguish unending.

Routa

Smash Lord
We all learn and often it's better to come off in a more questioning tone by asking "what makes Meta Knight better than a character like Wario, isn't his range an issue?". Lurking can also be helpful. Oh but in general, Wario is disgustingly under represented and talked about, so although being top 20 there's probably a lot less out there (and here) than there should be. How much higher do you think Wario should be and what is currently 'missing'?
:)

But anyways I think people don't think Wario as a big threat as lets say Mario due to his different type of playstyle compared to other top tier characters (far more defensive playstyle just like with DHD and Pac-Man). Also Wario's off stage game is commonly ignored. Wario has also one of the best mixup games thanks to his Chomp and Bike. I would like to say more about them, but my "english skills" aren't good enough for that. But about placing... I would place him in somewhere between 10-15.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
lol.

Lucario.

Nah man. NAAAH
Lucario is another one of those characters I wasn't really expecting... I've been calling him a low tier (with high potency possibilities / essentially an enigma character) for a long time but he's been considered pretty highly by several people and after the upset on NAKAT at CEO by Kamu (I think?) many opinions became solidified that he is a very scary character to think about facing and has a certain broken factor to him.

Last edited:

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Lucario definitely seems like a viable character to me (though just barely).
Aura sphere charge is really threatening and covers ledge options really well, he has decent throw combos and setups which a good character needs in this game, plus he probably has a close to even Sheik matchup because of Aura.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I will always find it bizarre that Swordfighter is in an APEX Mii Tier List and is considered the worst character while Gunner and Brawler get to be no where near the worst character

Swordfighter is the one who still has a workable gameplan with spacing and Up-Air rewards AND is the one who actually had a player repping him and winning tournaments

Gunner is definitely worse than Swordfighter because she loses Grenade Burst and Bomb Drop two moves that make her a goddess of Zoning

APEX Brawler is pretty much Melee Pichu with out the self damaging mechanic all that mobility and like one or two good moves to show for it he doesn't even have a kill confirm ala Sheik or Fox

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
are there any other characters that hinge on 1 or 2 moves to be viable? the only character i know that does is :4miibrawl:. helicopter kick+feint jump or bust it seems.

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
are there any other characters that hinge on 1 or 2 moves to be viable? the only character i know that does is :4miibrawl:. helicopter kick+feint jump or bust it seems.
Palutena with Super Speed and Lightweight.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
Lucario has a good combo game, good edge guard game, is impossible to gimp, and has a guaranteed kill confirm in to Force Palm against a large portion of the cast. His main issues is that he has bad match ups against characters that can pressure him really hard with high mobility in neutral, like Captain Falcon, and his diasdvantaged state is poor. His neutral tools are alright, and depending on the character he might struggle to land a kill because of where his kills come from.

Dude has to get his *** whooped to be a threat.

Come on bruh
Not really, no. He combos well when he's not in a high state of Aura, which allows him to build up damage well. His advantageous state in neutral is good, and if he can build damage consistently then he does not need to be hurt himself to pose a reasonable threat.

The idea that he needs Aura is to an extent true but it is also very exaggerated.

If Lucario had a resident Tweek, you would likely see that player getting similar results Tweek does with his character.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I think Jr is mediocre, despite Tweek and I both being New Jerseyians and seeing him play often so......huh?

I disagree with his neutral being alright. It's def not alright.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
is impossible to gimp
That's not true at all, his up-b is super easy to hit him out of, at least as Sheik. (rest of your post i agree with)

Maybe you won't kill a lucario through edgeguarding, but he should take a bunch of damage.

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
If we were to take those top 15 characters and call them the viable characters, which is very close to my own personal list (with the addition of Wario and Villager for 17), here is a list of characters that I would say are on the cusp of viability, or tier II in a three tier system:

:4bowserjr::4darkpit::4pit::4duckhunt::4gaw::4myfriends::4kirby::4link::4lucario::4megaman::4tlink::4drmario::4greninja:

I have omitted the recent DLC characters due to lack of exposure and data and Pac-Man because I honestly am not sure where he should reside. I am unsure about Link but a recent player in NorCal who played Link made me view the character a little differently.
I think this would look good in a 4 "group" (tier?) system, where each character is grouped into one of four groups of viability. I did my own 3 group thing and it's actually remarkably similar to yours (the only characters you're "definitely" missing are Marth/Gunner), but I think a 4 tier system is more ideal.

:4sheik::rosalina::4pikachu::4fox::4sonic::4luigi::4zss::4ness::4diddy::4yoshi::4mario:

Borderline 1/2
:4olimar::4wario2::4villagerf::4rob::4metaknight::4falcon::4pacman:

:4darkpit::4pit::4myfriends::4greninja::4link::4lucario::4marth::4duckhunt::4bowserjr::4greninja::4megaman::4miigun::4peach:

Borderline 2/3
:4robinf::4shulk::4dk::4drmario::4falco::4ganondorf::4charizard::4gaw::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4littlemac::4lucas::4lucina::4miisword::4palutena::4ryu::4feroy::4bowser::4mewtwo:

:4zelda::4samus::4dedede:

I still think 4 would be better than 3. I think with 4 tiers I'd be able to comfortably place Falco, Ganon, Charizard, G&W, Kirby, Lucina, Swordfighter, Roy and maybe Bowser/Mewtwo in the lower half but not in the bottom tier (eg Tier 3, the rest of borderline 2/3 and 3 likely becomes borderline 3/4).

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
@ Shaya Shaya what happens when we inevitably talk about buffs and nerfs? Separate thread?

Serious question.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I think Jr is mediocre, despite Tweek and I both being New Jerseyians and seeing him play often so......huh?
Meanwhile Tweek is where he is in the EVO bracket? Pretty good thus far for what I'm considering to be a sub-viable character.

That's not true at all, his up-b is super easy to hit him out of, at least as Sheik. (rest of your post i agree with)

Maybe you won't kill a lucario through edgeguarding, but he should take a bunch of damage.
So...you can't gimp him.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Agreed. Smash 4 is pretty balanced.

Jr and Lucario both still average though.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
So...you can't gimp him.
Maybe, but realistically no character can be gimped in this game if they recover low and tech your stage spike.

And the connotation of saying a character can't be gimped is that their recovery is really good. Lucario has amazing distance but his recovery is fairly exploitable (similar to Pit/Rosalina).

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
@ Gunla Gunla
1. There are many practical interpretations for a Tier List, and at least for the Brawl and Melee ones results were generally considered most important in the long term. At this point "theory" seems fair to acknowledge but we probably shouldn't discount what we're seeing for it until we see it consistently play out. Luigi could be a lot worse, so could Zero Suit; they have "critical flaws" although their rewards are amazing. In Luigi's case he may not be capable of handling major tournaments as a solo main as his performances in that regard seem underwhelming although his regional level and lower results are crazy. And personally I was surprised at the very high unanimous opinion of Yoshi despite lacking majorly notable break outs, a couple of queries pinged "but no one top level mains Yoshi, could you imagine how insanely strong he would be?" and as dangerous as that is his results do seem to be picking up over time, at least anecdotally.
But yeah, pleasing everyone wasn't the goal, but I do hope it's mostly pleasing >_<

2. Those who indicated customs on were few and their responses despite single extra additions weren't radically different to anyone else who assumed customs off. Brawler has a mean of 9.33 within custom only voters. Mii Gunner and Swordsman still show up in bottom 10s (although not both at the same time) and would be sitting tied somewhere with a dozen other characters.

3. Depending on how things go in the near future, it's a possibility.

4. At that point we would be ready for the entire "tier list" I'd say. However, using this to cut down the possible answers on 21st-43rd is somewhat practical in helping a tier list production and could otherwise be an interesting ...totally not planned past time here. It's possible to derive some janky full tier list from all the data I have actually (29 characters voted top and 27 bottom) and I did have a little dabble in this to see, but it isn't too great I guess, maybe at some point of time when it doesn't matter much.

5. I originally indicated a month, but as it took almost a month for the busier smashers to respond and many who expressed interest left behind (at Sky's house), I'm a tad bit cynical about that schedule now. This would be a good time to mention that if you're interested in being apart of this for the next time and think you meet requirements PASS ON YOUR INTERESTS TO ME. What I'll probably look at doing is saying to participants "here's your last list, have any changes to make?" and if they respond 'nay' (or equivalent) include it again to make it easier for some~ (I need to vent over my persistence with some at least a little, I love them all anyway). So uhh... we'll see.
While I'm never quite certain I meet the requirements, I would love to assist with this if you would desire it.
A few more thoughts for now:
  • A month certainly seems like a good time interval for something like this. I assume we'd have a new thread each month (which each previous one being readily available, but in read-only fashion).
  • Your answer to dealing with #4 is a better idea than tackling the middle head on; starting with the extremes and slowly scaling to the bigger picture would be a more gradual transition, as long as it is done correctly.
  • Customs seems like it could maybe use a different approach (perhaps including a poll of sorts on the next survey?) but it should likely be addressed to correspondents first. If the desire to do it isn't there (and for some players, they have made it clear), then it may just be a waste of time, sadly.

BSP

Smash Legend
Pac-Man is on the cusp of viability. Somewhere around 16-25, but I'd put him around 21st or so myself. I still don't know why the US doesn't delve into him seriously, although having a bad Sheik MU is a big problem.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion

Is that in order?

Ulevo

Smash Master
Maybe, but realistically no character can be gimped in this game if they recover low and tech your stage spike.

And the connotation of saying a character can't be gimped is that their recovery is really good. Lucario has amazing distance but his recovery is fairly exploitable (similar to Pit/Rosalina).
You can gimp a lot of characters once you take their jump away, regardless of how they recover. You cannot gimp Lucario. You need to send him in to the blast zone somehow.

Is that in order?
No.

Last edited:

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
We have been getting more Meta developing thanks to EVO. Maybe Wind Kong is finally a counter to Sheik. Mainly because he can do as much damage as Sheik or even more. While Sheik struggles to catch/punish/kill Donkey Kong. But Wind Kong needs to be played properly though. I don't know if i'm right with this.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Pac-Man is on the cusp of viability. Somewhere around 16-25, but I'd put him around 21st or so myself. I still don't know why the US doesn't delve into him seriously, although having a bad Sheik MU is a big problem.
Yeah, after Abadango's play, Pac-man's defitenly good.

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
Alright then :p Also Zero won set 1 against John Numbers.

Edit: The dream is dead. Johh Numbers got rekt.

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord

First time in a while I've seen someone not immediately dismiss G&W as low tier. I approve.

Routa

Smash Lord
As far as I know US likes more offensive playstyle and Pac-Man is very very VERY defensive character (I mean his playstyle). He is good indeed, but not top tier. Like you said his placing is somewhere between 16-25 or 20-25. Like DHD he is kinda underrated.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I think this would look good in a 4 "group" (tier?) system, where each character is grouped into one of four groups of viability. I did my own 3 group thing and it's actually remarkably similar to yours (the only characters you're "definitely" missing are Marth/Gunner), but I think a 4 tier system is more ideal.

:4sheik::rosalina::4pikachu::4fox::4sonic::4luigi::4zss::4ness::4diddy::4yoshi::4mario:

Borderline 1/2

:4darkpit::4pit::4myfriends::4greninja::4link::4lucario::4marth::4duckhunt::4bowserjr::4greninja::4megaman::4miigun::4peach:

Borderline 2/3
:4robinf::4shulk::4dk::4drmario::4falco::4ganondorf::4charizard::4gaw::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4littlemac::4lucas::4lucina::4miisword::4palutena::4ryu::4feroy::4bowser::4mewtwo:

I still think 4 would be better than 3. I think with 4 tiers I'd be able to comfortably place Falco, Ganon, Charizard, G&W, Kirby, Lucina, Swordfighter, Roy and maybe Bowser/Mewtwo in the lower half but not in the bottom tier (eg Tier 3, the rest of borderline 2/3 and 3 likely becomes borderline 3/4).
Double Greninja, all the way!

Anyway, does Olimar really get much results? I rarely see him being talked about much.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Yeah, after Abadango's play, Pac-man's defitenly good.
This always happens, Abadango shows up at our big tournaments, makes a big splash, everyone thinks he's great for about a week, then everyone forgets about him again.

But I do think Pac-Man is strong.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion

Borderline 1/2

Borderline 2/3

King Dedede, Kirby, Shulk, Ryu, Roy, Lucas, and Jigglypuff should be higher, whiile Mii Gunner, Marth, and greninja should be lower

Reader

Smash Apprentice
I personally agree with the top 15, but the bottom seems little strange. If it is without customs (as I believe it is) Palutena should probably be there. Robin could also be considered bottom tier character, but I don't really know him that well. Anyhow, good work!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom