• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VGD: Dr. Shrunk Says be Happy!!

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Has anyone noticed that when people try to attack you as you're watering your tree, sometimes their attacks will get "stuck" on the water? I have a replay of a Link player trying to Dair me as I water my tree, only for his Dair to get caught on the water, which caused him to bounce right into the sprouting tree. Same thing happened when a Lucina player tried to SH Fair me as I was watering.

Makes me think we could try to set up mind games to provoke people into attacking us while we're watering.
The watering can has a water box and it pushes away players. When it collides with am attack, it clashes and the attacking player is in hit lag for the duration of the watering can move. Its a great way to gurantwe that the tree will hit while watering. Otherwise you might just push your opponent out of the way and save them from ultimate demise.

TR33

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pandaguy719
This isn't a strategy or technique thread, just something fun to do!
so while me and my friend were playing on smash we were playing a ditto villager match, and then i had the idea of a little mini-game challenge thing. I call it "Tree Tennis" and it's very difficult but fun to play!
Basically, 2 villagers face each other at a fairly close distance, 1 villager, the "server" will plant a tree, water it and chop it down, the other villager will pocket it, then throw it out, then the first villager will pocket it back. You do this back and forth until one gets hit. If you hit the other player you get a point and start again. (For example: First to 5 wins) You aren't allowed to do anything but use your pocket move so it's fair.
You can get pretty competitive with it and even have Tree Tennis tournaments lol.
What are your thoughts on this? Good or stupid?
:4villager:

(If this has already been thought of on another thread or elsewhere, i apologise because i haven't thoroughly checked anywhere)
Your comment made me want to share this, enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjNO3WhrErM

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Smash Potato is the best game mode.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
This is irrelevant to competitive play, but having Villager plant a tree while he's large or small from the effects of a mushroom will make the tree change size, but not the damage. The size is set when you plant the sapling, SK you can water it even after you change back and the size will still be altered. It's hilarious seeing how big the tree is with a mushroom-enhanced super timber.

Mr.CreamCakes

Smash Cadet
His trees and lloids make him great at camping. his tilts are strong and he has quite a few combos. Im sure he'll be at least mid-tier. He has great range and tools that a character needs.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i use lloid and tree offensivley, i use the lloid to approach along with fairs dairs, and grabs as mix-ups. his turnips have incredible priority and the soft hit of them can combo into ftilt, dtilt, jab and you can make various follow ups.

for the tree, you can use it as an edge guard, or bait them into approaching and water the tree to get the ko. a really good villager could make him a bit higher on the tier list.

not to mention pocket has incredible range and a damage multiplier, so projectile users should be wary of this.

villager has excellent juggling tools like up air, up tilt, up smash, bair fair and bair.

yes villager can camp, but he also has somewhat of a good close up game.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I think I have the best :4villager:. I wish I could upload vids of some of the **** I've done O_____O. Prepare for a CV in the future folks.

:018:

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Villager ditto money match incoming. One reservation for the salty suite already made.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
villager ditto money match? tom nook better not be present to hoard all your earnings.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
So from this video:

New remixes from AC:

- Plaza + Title (City Folk /Wild World)

- Tour (New Leaf)

- 7 PM / Main Street (New Leaf)

- BubbleGum K.K.

Last edited:

Player-1

Smash Legend
I've been doing a lot of dthrow>regrab at low percents if they air dodge into the ground and it's been working really well. If they jump and they have poor air mobility and you're on FD you can get some easy pivot grabs to catch their landing too. Or if they jump you can harass them in the air.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I posted this on the SSB4 Social Thread, and I felt it was appropriate here as well.

I found an entrance animation with Villager.

I know the quality is terrible, but I don't really have anything that'll take a decent picture.

Edit: Altered it to look a little more decent.

Last edited:

Chompjil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chompjil
3DS FC
0387-8858-0021
Hey guys, I've started playing smash 3ds just about 2 days ago and picked up Villager, so what were your guys experiences when you first tried em?

Hong

The Strongest
Hey guys, I've started playing smash 3ds just about 2 days ago and picked up Villager, so what were your guys experiences when you first tried em?
"This is the most fun I've had playing Smash Bros in a long time."

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
My first thought was that Pikachu finally had a competition when it comes to who have the funnest play style.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
"I might actually have a replacement for Olimar is he ends up being terrible."

Whaddaya know. Oli's terrible, I have a new main.

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
So, my fellow Villagers, who have you guys been using as your secondaries? I've been trying to find one that clicks, but I'm having some trouble. Lately I tried out Little Mac, and he's pretty fun and all, but I don't think he's the right character for me.

Main reason I ask is because I'm looking for a backup character that can help me deal with fast characters. I always struggle against characters like Falcon who can easily get in on Villager and weave around our moves.

Last edited:
So, my fellow Villagers, who have you guys been using as your secondaries? I've been trying to find one that clicks, but I'm having some trouble. Lately I tried out Little Mac, and he's pretty fun and all, but I don't think he's the right character for me.

Main reason I ask is because I'm looking for a backup character that can help me deal with fast characters. I always struggle against characters like Falcon who can easily get in on Villager and weave around our moves.
Rosalina's a pretty good secondary for Villager imo

Then again I have waifu bias

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
Rosalina's a pretty good secondary for Villager imo

Then again I have waifu bias
Haha, I see. I tried playing Rosalina and Luma a while ago, but she's a bit too floaty for my tastes aka I'm horrible with her.

No yeah I get what you mean about floatiness. Especially when you want to do SHFF aerials, it just takes that much longer for her to reach the apex of her hop so you can begin to fast fall compared to other characters.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
I don't think I have a solidified secondary yet because I play a lot of other characters about the same amount as each other, including Shulk, Dedede, Robin, Megaman, Jiggs, and a couple others. Recently I've been investing in Shulk and Jiggs, but I've also been tinkering with Robin's customs. I'm actually liking Decisive Monado Arts as a Shulk custom. I'm actually working on collecting all the custom moves atm. In case you haven't noticed I dig custom moves, but I digress.

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
I was actually thinking of having Mega Man as a secondary. I tried my hand at Sonic the other day online, and I met a MM player who was pretty untouchable. Mega Buster shots destroyed all my approaches, and his keep away game was really on point, so I could barely touch him at all.

Anyway, I want to bring up another subject that has probably been discussed somewhere on here before: Why do some people say Villager's Jab is terrible?

It works pretty great from my experience. 3% damage is pretty good for a fast, non button-mash jab, and on shields it does decent shield damage and pushes me back far enough to be safe, aside from tether grabs. I always try to find moments to sneak in some jabs and pound on an opponent's shield.

Is it really as bad as some people say?

Whoever has been saying that is dead wrong. Villager has an excellent jab. Like you said 3% damage is pretty great, and it comes out on like frame 3 or something iirc. It also does other stuff that I can't think of atm. I THINK at mid to high percents jab 1 might combo into NAir?

Jab hits on F3
Buffered jump starts F29
Buffered NAir starts on F34
NAir hits on F36

They need to be in 33F of hitstun so never mind it probably doesn't (thank you based @Croi )

But still, it's a really fast move with good damage and knockback for a jab, with low cooldown. It's by no means bad!

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
What is Villager's weakness(es) supposed to be? And their strong points? I play the character but I never thought about this kind of stuff before.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
villagers jabs are great, but often have a hard time following up on them. i usually try doing an f-tilt, but i either jab again, or get punished before f-tilt comes out.

as for weaknesses, villager is pretty light, rather slow run speed, so he cant follow up easily on combos at higher percents. i sometimes have a hard time getting on stage after being knocked off.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Hi guys! For those of you who missed the social media ****storm last week, i'm the chick who got smash for wii u early.

I main Villager and Jigglypuff. I've noticed some significant changes to Jigglypuff, but not Villager.

(That's not to say there definitely have not been any changes, just that I haven't noticed any and he/she feels the same as on 3ds)

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Really? Like what? I play Jiggly so I'm interested.

Top Bottom