• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Very new player, need recommendations for characters!

Stouty

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I watched the documentary a few months back and LOVED it, so when I heard that my school was having a smash tournament I came here first to get some information. I have practiced meta knight quite a bit, and I feel good about my Meta Knight play relative to the people I will be matched against, for 1v1.

My issue is that the first 4 rounds of the tournament are free for all, K/O-fest, for 3 minutes each. So I need some advice as to which characters would be most effective for this style of match, the competition is not good, most people will be bad and not even use shield or any sort of combo/edge-guard. I'm worried because when I play against level 9 CPUs 1v1, I can win every time, but when I set the rules for the first four rounds of the tournament(Free for all/K-O) I only win about 70% of the time, and that is against level 6 CPUs.

It seems that concepts like spacing and edge-guarding aren't really effective when there are lots of players, and that it is just a big jumble of chaos. So do you guys have any recommendations for characters that can ideally be hard to kill, and K/O bad players with ease. I haven't been playing the game very long, so characters that don't require high level tech are preferred.

Thanks guys!

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Abuse the ledge and your multiple jumps as much as possible. Avoid fighting for as long as possible, opting to the let the other players kill each other so you can kill them one on one after they've been weakened. When in doubt, use Mach Tornado to clear out space and get away.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Ganondorf may be bad in 1v1, but he's a god in free-for-all. If the players are bad, just spam Ganondorf's smash attacks. I know that from my 3 years of playing free-for-all with CPU's.

link2702

Smash Champion
Ganondorf may be bad in 1v1, but he's a god in free-for-all. If the players are bad, just spam Ganondorf's smash attacks. I know that from my 3 years of playing free-for-all with CPU's.
CPU's are ********, including the level 9 ones. Picking ganondorf even in a FFA, is still almost suicidal unless you're just absolutely positive you're on far higher level of skill than your opponents, which the op clearly isn't(otherwise he wouldn't be asking for advice to begin with). Metaknight would still be a better option here. Spamming gaonon's smashes aren't really all that effective, not even in FFA's.

Deez

Smash Rookie
Ike may not be a bad pick for you either, not as speed screwed as Ganners and still has the delish smash attacks. In my group of friends, most of whom are fairly average compared to me and my mate, it's not uncommon for them to pick up five or six kills in a stock match through spamming smashes in a FFA with either Ike or Ganners

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
There's no way that should happen unless one of your mates hits you into the smashes or you have like 99 stocks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom