• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Ace of Kings

Smash Rookie
Here's something for those of you who live in Logan:

The USU eSports Club will be playing Smash Bros this Wednesday from 5-8 on the 4th floor of Old Main. I'll be bringing a Project M setup, but there will definitely be Melee and most likely Smash 64 as well. They are thinking of making this a biweekly thing, so while the level of play is relatively low at the moment, it could help grow the relatively small Smash scene up here. If you go to USU and have some free time, you should definitely check it out!
I'm curious how big is your club and what "e-sports" are you folks actively involved in?

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Yeah I'm pretty sure, what was it that you remembered?
It was about Bowser's Klawhopping technique in Brawl. For some reason, Bowser can cancel an aerial Flying Slam attempt into a jump just above the ground. It doesn't matter if you used up your second jump, either; you can do it as long as you're above a platform or stage.

It seems to force what's known as Infinite Second Jump Renewal (ISJR). In Brawl, if an aerial (or airdodge) finishes its animation exactly 1 frame before the character would land, that character can use their second jump, regardless of whether it's been used before. As long as you keep ending an aerial right before you land, you can continue to jump. Since the aerial has to be performed frame perfect (Brawl's generous buffer window means the jump doesn't, though) it's impractical, not to mention getting hit offstage while doing this means you're without a second jump to help you recover. Anyway, Bowser's Side-B seems to be cancelable into a jump in the same method as ISJR. You can Klaw to jump to Klaw to jump as much as you want. You can even sneak in a FAir if you do it right as you jump. Give it a try, it's fun.

There's another glitch involving Ganon that uses ISJR in a bizarre way. If you buffer both a jump and a Wizard's Foot out of an aerla right before you land, he does this weird flip thing and soars high in the sky, higher than he can reach with his jumps alone. It's more or less worthless competitively but amusing to see.

Bowser Demonstration Video
Ganon Demonstration Video

Can't find one for ISJR, maybe there's one with the technique labeled something else?

Ace of Kings

Smash Rookie
It was about Bowser's Klawhopping technique in Brawl. For some reason, Bowser can cancel an aerial Flying Slam attempt into a jump just above the ground. It doesn't matter if you used up your second jump, either; you can do it as long as you're above a platform or stage.

It seems to force what's known as Infinite Second Jump Renewal (ISJR). In Brawl, if an aerial (or airdodge) finishes its animation exactly 1 frame before the character would land, that character can use their second jump, regardless of whether it's been used before. As long as you keep ending an aerial right before you land, you can continue to jump. Since the aerial has to be performed frame perfect (Brawl's generous buffer window means the jump doesn't, though) it's impractical, not to mention getting hit offstage while doing this means you're without a second jump to help you recover. Anyway, Bowser's Side-B seems to be cancelable into a jump in the same method as ISJR. You can Klaw to jump to Klaw to jump as much as you want. You can even sneak in a FAir if you do it right as you jump. Give it a try, it's fun.

There's another glitch involving Ganon that uses ISJR in a bizarre way. If you buffer both a jump and a Wizard's Foot out of an aerla right before you land, he does this weird flip thing and soars high in the sky, higher than he can reach with his jumps alone. It's more or less worthless competitively but amusing to see.

Bowser Demonstration Video
Ganon Demonstration Video

Can't find one for ISJR, maybe there's one with the technique labeled something else?

You know about this Goji?

ZeroKarasu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeroKarasu
3DS FC
3351-4458-3302
I got a reverse Warlock Punch on a ZSS today in For Glory singles.

Ganondorf is so much fun to play as.

Biff

Smash Rookie
I got reverse Warlock Punched yesterday as Falcon. I actually won the match, but I felt like I lost.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
JV 3-stocked a Little Mac. That was juicy.

I'm maintaining a steady 76% win rate. I should start a Twitch channel. 8D

Sandfall

Stage Designer
I'm curious how big is your club and what "e-sports" are you folks actively involved in?
No idea. I just asked them one day if they wanted to do Smash and they said they would be down. It's a moderate size for a university club though.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
guys I really hate the 3ds controls for smash.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
guys I really hate the 3ds controls for smash.
Smash 3DS isn't a real game. Smash 3DS is a paid advertisement (as in you paid for it) for Smash Wii U. It exists strictly to pass the time. It is there to let you play Smash on the go. That way, you can think about Smash all the time instead of just most of it.

Last edited:

Tuesday

Smash Ace
I think about Melee all the time without any technological aid. I go over matchup scenarios, options, sequencing, and theory crafting. It's important to sit back while not playing and think about the game conceptually so you can try new approaches to playing.

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
How you guys liking Smash 4? Who you guys like? I love jiggs and diddy in this game. When I'm gonna spill my FC on the boards. anyone wanna play later? Been a while since I checked this thread

madcowsyndrome

Smash Rookie
NNID
madcowsyndrome
Smashing of the brothers at Gamers Asylum tomorrow 5:00 - 8:00 bring 3ds and set ups :p @ Sinz Sinz can tell you the address ;)
Is this going down today? I'm at school right now... But I NEED to smash some bros.

Also, I'd love to add some people for Sm4sh 3DS to (hopefully) get some legless matches.

Last edited:

Sproll

Smash Apprentice
Is this going down today? I'm at school right now... But I NEED to smash some bros.

Also, I'd love to add some people for Sm4sh 3DS to (hopefully) get some legless matches.
playing friends doesn't guarantee lagless matches. it's weird, I'll play random people all over the US and probably Japan without problem but then I played my friend 3 houses away online and it was lagging every 30 seconds. but regardless plenty of people have posted their FC so just post yours if you want that

madcowsyndrome

Smash Rookie
NNID
madcowsyndrome
playing friends doesn't guarantee lagless matches. it's weird, I'll play random people all over the US and probably Japan without problem but then I played my friend 3 houses away online and it was lagging every 30 seconds. but regardless plenty of people have posted their FC so just post yours if you want that
Hence the hopefulness, but I figure closer=better chance of no lag.

Anyway, posted this on the Utah Smash FB page, but my FC is: 3969-6330-1572

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!

Yes, tonight! Bring people :)

Gamers Asylum
2671 Washington Blvd. Ogden, Utah 84403

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
If your friend live 3 houses away why not just play over local wireless, not wifi?

Sproll

Smash Apprentice
If your friend live 3 houses away why not just play over local wireless, not wifi?
it was at 1 in the morning and his parents dont allow him to leave or anyone to come over that late. and i didnt think about it at the time but maybe wireless goes that far? idk

Last edited:

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Alright y'all, book November 8 off. A Smasher's Tale: Winter is Coming is going to be that day. $10 venue, $10 entry per person per event. Opens at 9 AM, first event at 11 AM. Will do Smash for 3DS, though it's going to probably be an all day thing (meaning on the side while the consoles take priority). Will be at Kafeneio's. Official post will come later tonight.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
at the last game den (provo) melee tournament, we did a swiss-style tournament. i'm a big fan of it and suggest it be the format of choice moving forward. @ net1234 net1234 took first, with @BillNyeTheSamusGuy taking second, and
@RVKYS taking third. the updated ratings for melee at game den (provo) are:

1. Ladaman (+9) 1666
2. @ net1234 net1234 (--) 1651
3. @Perfect Chaos (-2) 1533
4. @ Sinz Sinz (-1) 1460
5. @BillNyeTheSamusGuy (+7) 1414
6. @Roguay (-2) 1413
7. @Sexy Yaz (-2) 1405
8. @Staz (+9) 1402
9. @Aria♪ (-2) 1396
10. @Death Arcana (-4) 1365

once again, the full ratings can be found in the usual place.

also, we'll also be doing a smash 3ds tournament every week in addition to the regularly scheduled tournaments, so please bring your 3ds systems and try to have things unlocked by next week.

also, i updated the smasher directory to include friend codes and such. can we please refer people to use the directory more so we don't have to post obfuscated phone numbers, addresses, and friend codes all over the place. and please correct/update any information if needed. thanks!

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
So imma start going to the provo game den tournaments for Smash 4 on Tuesdays since thats my day off. Might enter Melee and get wrecked each week as well.

Also, starting in November I should be able to start going to stuff on Saturdays so long as Smash 4 isnt starting until 4ish.

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
Hate to be that guy but why would there be a ten dollar venue fee at cafe neo? We play there for free all the time and to get the back room we just pay five each even when there's just a handful of us.

Lumosat

Smash Cadet
So I've been learning Ice Climbers in Melee, and I've been familiarizing myself with their grab game. What's like the general attitude towards wobbling in Utah? I get that people hate it and it's not a good way to make friends, but is it banned in tournaments at all?

Jekyll

Smash Ace
So I've been learning Ice Climbers in Melee, and I've been familiarizing myself with their grab game. What's like the general attitude towards wobbling in Utah? I get that people hate it and it's not a good way to make friends, but is it banned in tournaments at all?
Not banned the last time I checked. Wobble away.

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
We ha a gu who could do it but he left and one guy can do it now. I don't think anyone cares. It's no more broken than shining someone offstage or marth on FD.

net1234

Smash Ace
there was once a guy who wobbled. no one liked him and then we kicked him out of utah forever. R.I.P. tuesgay

-Mars-

Smash Hero
You're good. Competitive scene is a scrub free zone. If someone's being a scrub and complaining while you're wobbling dem let me know and I'll make fun of them.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
You're good. Competitive scene is a scrub free zone. If someone's being a scrub and complaining while you're wobbling dem let me know and I'll make fun of them.
Or just let Mars know someone else is in the building and he'll make fun of them.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
We ha a gu who could do it but he left and one guy can do it now. I don't think anyone cares. It's no more broken than shining someone offstage or marth on FD.
This x1000. Wobbling is just a really... really... slow shine.

Gojirakaiju

Smash Rookie
This x1000. Wobbling is just a really... really... slow shine.
Wobbling is tricky to set-up but if you get it they die and it works on every character
wave-shining doesn't.

Wobbling is hype in high level, not so hype in low level because people *****.

Shout outs to yesterdays casuals!

Sinz-**** you for ****ing me up too good. Nice seeing you man! I want to play you more and get back up to par. If DJ can do it to some degree I will be ignorant and do the same! How often do you host?

Falco with a manly trim-You abused Bowser perfectly minus a few drill shines. I don't think i will ever beat you unless I have an insanely good game with DK. Are you from Ogden?

Roguay- Don't ***** about low tiers. When I challenged you you seemed arrogant and stuck up and proceeded to lose to Bowser in a 8-2 MU. After game one you proceeded to ***** after your D-Air to Falcon punch tech "Read" and left before completing a set. I hope this isn't how you always are or I will not like you but I have a feelign you dont give a ****. Though, I will like to hear you ***** more after losing to Bowser in tournament. I would like to add how the others (Sinz and manly trim falco) stepped up and properly abused Bowser and held a good attitude while 2-3 stocking my ass.

Peach guy that is not Grinfinity- Play more patient dawg and dont let Bowser throw your turnips back at you XD.

Pumpinz!- I didn't get to play you =(.

Grinfinity-Stitch face ass-face

It was fun all throw ******** and non-********! I know where I stand upon re-entering and if I want to be taken seriously I still have some bad habits I have to break until next time SKEEEEYUUUUUNG!

Top Bottom