• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I should see about hosting a tournament at Game Haven. I know the guy who owns it.

Also, I know I'm late, but I just watched the grand finals for RoM7. Holy cow. Mango and Mew2King are ridiculous.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
haven't heard much response for the fest tomorrow. @MaskedEpsilon and @ Tuesday Tuesday have told me they're up for it, but if we don't get more people, might as well cancel the reservation and play at someone's house. it would be good to know earlier because i have to ask someone who works there to open up and close for us since we'd be going at a time when it's usually closed. anyone from the salt lake crowd willing to come down? i'll buy some indian food for us since it's a farewell fest and it's the one food that utah does well. @ Jekyll Jekyll have some good indian food before heading out to palo alto... their indian food isn't as good as our indian food based on the places i've been to in the palo alto area ;-). as always, indian food will go first to those who bring setups.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
@ Tsuteto Tsuteto so i just noticed your location is orem, ut. i'm not sure how serious you are at turning gamer's abbey into a business, but i have a friend that owns a [board] game store in provo. they usually hold magic tournaments on friday and general board gaming on saturday. perhaps we can do something like smash@xanadu and hold weekly tournaments/fests there or maybe you can work something else business-wise with him. i know he helped another friend of mine open up a game store somewhere in northern utah so maybe there are opportunities to network here ;-).
I do want to set up a league thing of sorts, with local weeklies, then more of a ranked thing once a month, and then every three months a huge tournament like I did to kick things off with, but I'm currently pulling 50 hour work weeks due to stuff. After Salt Fest would be a bit more better, so I'll touch base with you then.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
haven't heard much response for the fest tomorrow. @MaskedEpsilon and @ Tuesday Tuesday have told me they're up for it, but if we don't get more people, might as well cancel the reservation and play at someone's house. it would be good to know earlier because i have to ask someone who works there to open up and close for us since we'd be going at a time when it's usually closed. anyone from the salt lake crowd willing to come down? i'll buy some indian food for us since it's a farewell fest and it's the one food that utah does well. @ Jekyll Jekyll have some good indian food before heading out to palo alto... their indian food isn't as good as our indian food based on the places i've been to in the palo alto area ;-). as always, indian food will go first to those who bring setups.
i'LL TRY TO MAKE IT.... CAPS....

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
http://i.cubeupload.com/I1D6FN.jpeg

Link's recovery got buffed hard.
As a fan of Link as a placeholder until I start unlocking other characters this pleases me greatly. I'm really liking how it appears that Smash 4 will try to be the most balanced between characters, maybe we will find that lower tier characters actually get some play and strategies developed for them*

*take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, it could very well be that Smash 4's characters are not balanced at all.

BigK_201

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigK_201
3DS FC
2406-5184-1090

From Nintendo's Press release:

Super Smash Bros. Invitational
  • 2014 will see the arrival of not one, but two new Super Smash Bros. games: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DSand Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. To commemorate this occasion, Nintendo is inviting 16 highly skilled Super Smash Bros. players to the NOKIA Theatre L.A. LIVE in Los Angeles to compete in a Super Smash Bros. for Wii U tournament. Thousands of fans in the audience and countless more watching a live stream online will see new Super Smash Bros. characters clash with existing favorites in action for the first time. More important than declaring a winner, however, this event is a celebration of all things Super Smash Bros., and a great way for new and veteran fans to take part in a tribute to this legendary franchise. More information about the 16 invited participants in the tournament, the identity of the announcers, and how fans of the franchise can view the tournament in person and via webcast, will be communicated shortly.
Super Smash Bros. Smash Fest @ Best Buy
  • In 2013, Nintendo broke new ground by expanding its E3 activities outside of the walls of the Los Angeles Convention Center and letting fans play some of the games being played on the show floor at participating Best Buy stores. The partnership between Nintendo and Best Buy continues in 2014 and will mark the first time around the world that fans have had the opportunity to get their hands on Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

Wow. I'm actually pretty blown away by this. Is Nintendo finally getting it? (Or at least NOA)

Full press release can be found here: http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=41525

Last edited:

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
To commemorate this occasion, Nintendo is inviting 16 highly skilled Super Smash Bros. players to the NOKIA Theatre L.A. LIVE in Los Angeles to compete in a Super Smash Bros. for Wii U tournament. Thousands of fans in the audience and countless more watching a live stream online will see new Super Smash Bros. characters clash with existing favorites in action for the first time.
Hype

I just hope they have a proper ruleset and proper stages.... lets not have that massive Kid Icarus stage please and not just Final Destination only

This is something that should be on the front page

Last edited:

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
Hype

I just hope they have a proper ruleset and proper stages.... lets not have that massive Kid Icarus stage please and not just Final Destination only

This is something that should be on the front page
Free for all with items on wouldn't surprise me. I just hope a bunch of annoying competitive players don't complain about it and make Nintendo regret doing this.

Last edited:

Snap.

Smash Apprentice
Free for all with items on wouldn't surprise me. I just hope a bunch of annoying competitive players complaining about it and make Nintendo regret doing this.
all items on palutena's temple with no time limit, 30 minute matches incoming

apples25

Smash Cadet
@ Zaku Zaku yeah close games man. I'll be the first to admit mewtwo is pretty easy-mode to use, but he's my favorite pm character by far. this is why I'm trying to focus on melee: so I don't look like a noob/gimmick winning with cheap stuff or whatever

also this e3 invitational thing is insanely hype

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
When you think about it, there's a good chance it'll be items on. I mean it's at E3 with everyone watching, not just smashers. Nintendo is trying to advertise, and most people play with items on. People want to see all of the different smash balls and items.

Pumpinz

Smash Journeyman
When you think about it, there's a good chance it'll be items on. I mean it's at E3 with everyone watching, not just smashers. Nintendo is trying to advertise, and most people play with items on. People want to see all of the different smash balls and items.
I wouldn't be surprised if they used their "For Glory Mode" that they announced in the last Nintendo Direct.

Zaku

Smash Cadet
I can almost gauruntee that the ruleset won't be the standard competitive format. I'm honestly completely ok with that. It'll be interesting to watch pros play with a more casual ruleset.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
The only thing that gives me hope that it is a more competitive ruleset is from the first reveal of Smash 4 where Sakurai did the Mega Man vs mario thing. That was 1v1 Battlefield no items. The only thing was that it was a 2 minute time limit instead of stocks. Maybe they just wanted to show off the game while it was in it's bare bones and they didn't wanna show items but that's the most competitive thing we've seen thus far.

And just imagine if this all goes well the way we expect it too. I would love to see Nintendo host these big tournaments with qualifiers or invitationals.

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
I forgot about the glory mode thing, good point. I don't know how they are gonna choose players, but we gotta try to get mars, DS4, or Kenny or someone in there even though it's a long shot. Let's get a hype video going or something lol.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
So i've decided that if I go to the Kafeneio tourney this saturday I'll be entering brawl... time to expose my wolf!

Last edited:

Sproll

Smash Apprentice
Kind of random subject here, but a few years ago my friend played in a melee tourney at UVU and took 3rd place. I'd say we are pretty close to each other in skill, but is there a good turnout for this tourney (idk if they still do it)? Just curious how good we are compared to the rest of Utah since we only play against each other

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
Kind of random subject here, but a few years ago my friend played in a melee tourney at UVU and took 3rd place. I'd say we are pretty close to each other in skill, but is there a good turnout for this tourney (idk if they still do it)? Just curious how good we are compared to the rest of Utah since we only play against each other
Come find out at a tournament. Next one is this Saturday.

ZerosUT

Smash Cadet
Lately there's been a tournament as soon as every week, but I would say every other week is somewhat reliable.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Nintendo's going to invite a bunch of Melee legends who aren't even going to play Smash 4

ZerosUT

Smash Cadet
There is usually at least PM friendlies happening. PM is starting to spread like wildfire in Utah, so I'd count on there being a lot more events for PM in the near future.

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
Can't decide whether to do Melee or Brawl on saturday, maybe both? :l
Definitely both.
Nintendo's going to invite a bunch of Melee legends who aren't even going to play Smash 4
Nintendo is pretty smart though, and super concerned about their image. They aren't gonna invite melee players who went around calling brawl the worst game ever and obviously have no interest in smash 4. Look at the list on the front page of smashboards they put together. Take out mango cause he will probably have only negative things to say and I'd say it looks ok.

Top Bottom