• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Staz

Smash Lord
yeah! :) if alot of people want to come then for sure! it can start any time. probably around 12 and go till whenever. but let me know who can make it or not before hand.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Well, I work until 5. I probably wouldn't be free until 6. Do you live in Springville still? This might not work out so well for me. XD

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
melee going down on friday? where's the carpool at. i'm in. if that's what's happening. i skim a lot

anybody down for melee tomorrow
i'm still trying to figure out what the hell i'm doing with my life but if i do move again i think it'll be 3/5 at the latest

life is so hard when you ain't got a job and you got student loans comin for ur ***** ass

call / text for melee 217 370 6174

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Id be willing to bet there will be some Melee Friday. And if theres a carpool going down from Salt Lake or something, I have $10 gas money and a set up to bring, so let me know so I can get a ride.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Does anyone know if Melee lags on big screen CRTs? I'm tempted to make an offer on someone's old huge TV. It's not even widescreen. It'd be the perfect Melee machine.

ASLC

Smash Apprentice
All right basically all other tournaments are ready to go for Salt Fest minus one of them and that would Smash Brothers , both Brawl and Melee. I've been working with people but we are still needing setups for the tournaments.

If you guys want a Smash Brothers tournament to happen then fill out the supporter form on the Salt Fest website. This will not only get our setups for the tournaments but for donating your equipment, you will get a Three Day Badge for a super good price. http://www.saltfest.org/supporter.html

Also, new smashers are showing up to the monthlies so hopefully you'll all be in town next time so that they can get a chance to play with you all.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
So if I brought three TVs and 2 wiis how much would the pass cost? Cause to be honest, I am not planning on going due to the steep venue price when I would only be there for the smash tournament.

ASLC

Smash Apprentice
So if I brought three TVs and 2 wiis how much would the pass cost? Cause to be honest, I am not planning on going due to the steep venue price when I would only be there for the smash tournament.
You were willing to drive to Vegas to go to a convention that costs the exact same so your statement is very contradictory. If you guys want a Smash Brothers tournament of worth in your home state, support it. Your group has been, by far, the worst one in terms of support and help with the overall convention.

For any of you who still think the price for Salt Fest is steep, then the only thing I can say is that you have obviously not looked over the website at all. Especially if you think this convention is only tournaments and nothing more. http://www.saltfest.org/guests.html http://www.saltfest.org/events.html with more to be both added and announced.

Send an email the link I posted above and you'll be provided a special link that shows you the discounted supporter badge. I'd also like to thank those that have sent emails to be supporters it is very much appreciated and we're glad you guys are willing to help out and care about your scene.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
My statement is not contradictory. There's a bit of a difference between going on a road trip with friends to a regional with top players and a local tournament where you play the same people you always play but for 8 times the normal price. And I don't really care about the other stuff there, as I've said I have no interest in anything but smash. Salt fest also costs more than the Las Vegas expo (that also was multiple day anime/other stuff convention). If OoS people came then sure, I'd think of coming. Also, why does it say we're required to get the three day pass to participate in a tournament that shouldn't last more than a day? And why can't you just say how much the supporter badge costs? If it was a good deal, it would encourage people to bring set ups as well as boost attendance if it was public info.

ASLC

Smash Apprentice
My statement is not contradictory. There's a bit of a difference between going on a road trip with friends to a regional with top players and a local tournament where you play the same people you always play but for 8 times the normal price. And I don't really care about the other stuff there, as I've said I have no interest in anything but smash. Salt fest also costs more than the Las Vegas expo (that also was multiple day anime/other stuff convention). If OoS people came then sure, I'd think of coming. Also, why does it say we're required to get the three day pass to participate in a tournament that shouldn't last more than a day? And why can't you just say how much the supporter badge costs? If it was a good deal, it would encourage people to bring set ups as well as boost attendance if it was public info.
Salt Fest is a regional. There are out of state players coming, it costs the the same as lvl up expo and is a day more. Online pre reg is $30, supporter badge is $20 the convention is by far larger and more equipped. Plus there are promotions all the time on twitter where you can get a weekend badge for only $25. You are not required to get a 3 day pass to participate in tournaments, there are in person sign ups as well, it would just save you a headache at the door. Also all seeding is explained on the site where people are pooled by zip code so you will not be playing someone you know.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I know all the main players in UT, and I haven't heard of any OoS smash players coming. I'm not arguing that salt fest isn't going to be a good event, it just didn't seem worth it from a smash-only perspective. But with the discounted pass and not having to buy the three day pass (which your site makes it seem like you have to to enter), then I will probably come if there's going to be a good turnout.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Does anyone know if Melee lags on big screen CRTs? I'm tempted to make an offer on someone's old huge TV. It's not even widescreen. It'd be the perfect Melee machine.
If its output is 480i fullscreen and can be played without any post-processing done by the TV, then it shouldn't lag, even if the screen itself is physically big.

Salt fest also costs more than the Las Vegas expo (that also was multiple day anime/other stuff convention). If OoS people came then sure, I'd think of coming.
After you factor in cost for gas, I'm pretty sure it'll be cheaper to go to Salt Fest than it was for your recent Vegas trip.
Also, I'm in the process of trying to get Washington State, as well as possibly others, to come for Melee (but you probably don't care since it's Melee, but that's not the only point I'm trying to make here), but there is little motivation for OoS players to come if the people within the state won't even be willing to support it. You can't expect things to magically happen and be handed to you on a silver platter. If, for example, the majority of the Vegas scene was like "maybe we'll come if a bunch of OoS come first", I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to go to them, either. If all of the people here actually supported the cause, then there's actually possible incentive for OoS to come. If we can guarantee most of our scene to come, and advertise to get new people from across the cities/counties to come, that might prove to be enough of a number for closer places like Vegas to come, which might bring in a possible big name from a bit farther away if the numbers get big enough, which would bring in even more people due to the attendance of the big name. It's a snowballing effect that could happen, but won't unless the initial snowball is made, to speak metaphorically. Salt Fest was able to get the legendary Justin Wong to come, and that showed how much effort Utah's Street Fighter scene put into the event.
Utah's current Smash scene, from what I've observed in the last 8 years, is stuck in a catch-22 with how the players think right now. It is not willing to support something until there's already enough established support for it, but that won't magically happen if no one (or very few) is willing to begin supporting it.

TL;DR: Things aren't magically going to happen unless you put effort into making it happen. That's a simple fact of life.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
PC, I get what you mean and I agree with you. I've put a ton of effort into the scene and trying to get new players/help people get better over the years. I will probably end up coming to this, and it would be cool to get some other states here as well. For some reason, I thought that the pre reg price went up to like $40 or something after the new year, but apparently that isn't the case anymore. And if you can get by with just buying a one day pass, then that also brings the cost down.

Might as well try and get OoS people to come, and if they do want to I will try my best to be there. But for awhile it was looking like it would just be an average/small local-sized tournament, which if it ends up being like that is where my previous stance comes in. I'm all for supporting it if it does turn into more than that.

MVP

Smash Ace
Anyone thinking about Salt-Fest? I might be going if I can. It's in Salt Lake

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I'll register this weekend. I do wanna support the scene. I'm just happy it's alive (despite being in desperate need of CPR).

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Im not going to the Salt Fest lol.

Too much money, dont even care enough about smash, and no Allstars. If there was Allstars Id go cuz Id basically get all my money back lol.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer

Too much money, dont even care enough about smash, and no Allstars. If there was Allstars Id go cuz Id basically get all my money back lol.
Go. I'll buy you dinner.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Will you do that for me too? :D
(Ignore the fact that I already said I'm going anyways)

And if any of you come then I pretty much lose $40, so don't come to Salt Fest.
/goading to get you to come

Staz

Smash Lord
Alright so if anyone wants to come over today feel free to, right now it's me and my brothers and rocky and zz are already over, we have like 6 tv's so we can have alot of set ups. the house is pretty big. just text me for the adress of anyone wants to come! 385-252-1542

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Alright so if anyone wants to come over today feel free to, right now it's me and my brothers and rocky and zz are already over, we have like 6 tv's so we can have alot of set ups. the house is pretty big. just text me for the adress of anyone wants to come! 385-252-1542
You ever find my chairs?

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7

You said that you'd be able to easily find 8 people and run it yourself, before, right? Then why don't you contact Lucas and tell him that you're actually commited, instead of wishing for magic like a lot of people here (although with you being a MLP fan, wishing for magic isn't surprising... XD).

Go. I'll buy you dinner.
Don't reward him for being lazy... <_<

ASLC

Smash Apprentice
Single Day badges are available right now for 15. It puts the cost to only 25 total. You literally can't complain about the cost unless you are so lazy you come day of.
The fact that you are not willing to support your own scene is really sad. There is no IF it gets big. Its you go to make it big or nothing happens. Its totally on you guys. The entry to the convention is to make sure the convention can pay for the venue so it can even happen on a large scale. I mean unless you have $40,000 you have no idea what to do with by all means run it yourself without charging entrance fee. So you can stop looking at it like "other stuff I don't care about. I just wanna play." Its literally the cost for you to play on a large scale and with people you otherwise would never have. Or to even come just to meet new people for your scene. If you cant do at least that you should probably sell the game. Not to mention last posted Apex is dead, there is only one other major hosting smash on the coast. If you want this scene to survive best bet would be to make something big in your own town that is at least willing to promote and back you guys up. This is the closest thing to EVO and we all know they put in smash this year. Salt Fest is literally the only one promoting and willing to run BOTH melee and brawl what more could you want?

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I think I came across wrong in my previous posts. I was under the impression that the price was 40 for the venue if we hadn't bought it by the New Years, which unless I'm mistaken as well as the other people I've talked to that thought the same thing, it was that once upon a time. But seeing that its a lot more reasonable than i thought, I feel like local players will show up as well as possibly OoS players being interested. So I'd just like to apologize for my seemingly unsupportive posts. I'm gonna talk to some people and see if we can get some OoS players to come.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
pc you act like the whole scene got jwong to go
salt fest just waved a bunch of money in his face
and hes was like "im in"

Top Bottom