• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

Foy

Smash Champion
At people saying the apartment is dead for melee.
False, we just have new rule changes. No more random people showing up and just busting in. We got a new place and new rules, isn't the same lackadaisical place.

So basically the people i know that are still playing in rochester are Me Jesse and Nitro.

Manalord, im going with you to ROM4 guaranteed. Haven't been in touch with you but you are my #1 homeboy.

And smash isn't dead up here, its on a hiatus if anything.

So quit crying and if you really wanna get stomped on wait till the next regional.

Hype

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
1. did you move in yet?

2. where is it?

3. add soma to that list, kid is FIENDING for some melee. i can smell it on him.

4. that sounds like a long time youre asking people to wait

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Smash scene in upstate is dieing not just Rochester. Besides Rochester went from lil over 20 dedicated melee players to 4 active players. And Rochester hasn't hosted anything since September. I'd say that's a little different than a Hiatus. Though i don't think anyone is really complaining, just really stating facts.

As for what we're doing (Frannie and I). We are still leaving for japan. sometime around late December early Jan and will be gone for over a year if not longer. Both Frannie and I have quit brawl and melee. I will still go to close tournaments to see friends. I may host a fest every once and awhile but its unlikely to reoccur every week.

We are still planning on hosting the next AXS assuming there is more interest. So if people can post rather or not they want another AXS let me know and ill get something in the works.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I might want a ride to ROM4 too. Not sure about how my school schedule's gonna work out with it, but if you leave an extra spot and are willing to drive, I may be happy to share gas/hotel expenses etc.

DLeet

Smash Rookie
Seems like its been forever since me and the rest of the 1337 crew came to a smash-fest or tournament. Can anyone fill me in about the whereabouts of upcoming events or smash-fests? I'd really appreciate it.

PhilCobb

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pheel510
3DS FC
4957-4219-0231
Yes, very much looking forward to being a TO, or stepping up to bring some life back to the scene. I can't play for crap, or at least not very well but I'm learning. In any event, I'd like to get in touch with someone to find out how to set something like that up, things like that - I'm curious to see what a smashfest is like, since I'm the best out of most people I know, and I haven't even begun to play with abstract concepts and super-advanced techniques that are more in one's head than on the screen.

After reading a lot, I'm having trouble finding instructionals on how to do basic AT's - RAR and Shutterstep?(I think it's called.)

Foy

Smash Champion
Smash scene in upstate is dieing not just Rochester. Besides Rochester went from lil over 20 dedicated melee players to 4 active players. And Rochester hasn't hosted anything since September. I'd say that's a little different than a Hiatus. Though i don't think anyone is really complaining, just really stating facts.

As for what we're doing (Frannie and I). We are still leaving for japan. sometime around late December early Jan and will be gone for over a year if not longer. Both Frannie and I have quit brawl and melee. I will still go to close tournaments to see friends. I may host a fest every once and awhile but its unlikely to reoccur every week.

We are still planning on hosting the next AXS assuming there is more interest. So if people can post rather or not they want another AXS let me know and ill get something in the works.
Im pretty sure theres more the 4. Im still hearing of people playing in other places, such as ambers and burak is coming back.

HAve fun in japan dude, i hope your negative attitude changes in the future about everything man.

You sucked at melee anyways. :D

PhilCobb

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pheel510
3DS FC
4957-4219-0231
INMF - Saw that, already knew most of what it was talking about, just hadn't found terms for it yet - but I think the stuff I'm referring to is more basic, or rather something I should know, either way those 2 terms above keep getting referred to and I never found out how to do either of them - I guess my question is - is there an intermediary or otherwise index of terms and how to do them, aside from that listing?

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Im pretty sure theres more the 4. Im still hearing of people playing in other places, such as ambers and burak is coming back.

HAve fun in japan dude, i hope your negative attitude changes in the future about everything man.

You sucked at melee anyways. :D
Butt-Hurt

Phill come over to my place thursday. I pretty much run all the fest/tournament in cuse I can help out.

Sharky

Smash Master
Phil Cobb: I can show you how to do any of these AT's next time we meet up (maybe thursday? see my test.) But a basic explanation here:

RAR: reverse aerial rush. Out of a dash, slam the control stick in the opposite direction really quick, jump immediately after, and then perform the bair or whatever aerial you wanna do immediately after that.

stutter step: start a dash in one direction and immediately slam the cstick in either horizontal direction.

vibe: gonna get ***** even harder.

huMps

Smash Ace
Which one of you awesome Rochester smash hosts, is willing to set something up for Kyle, me, Flaw, and everyone else who needs there fix? (:
I would be super grateful.

Kyle is hinting hard that he wants to get stomped by my scrub ***

BTW I'm considering having small gatherings at my house in the near future. I wouldn't be able to have more than probably 4 or 5 people over at a time, tops.
But I got my attic specifically groomed for some melee/FF7 gaming, and It needs to be broken in (:

When the time comes I'll let you guys know how it'll go down cuz I'm gonna be kinda strict about what will and won't be happening at my house because . . . . . . It's my house.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
im assuming youre going to say something along the lines of 'no drug, no liquor' which i think eliminates everyone except the 3 people you initially mentioned anyway.

and lol at you stomping me. I actually should get at least a marginal amount of practice in, if i actually want to get out of 1st pools at apex, not to mention that playing you is good for my self-esteem.

huMps

Smash Ace
I'm hoping/believing that no smoking and no drinking isn't a problem for people who are "smokers/drinkers." I'd love to have Jesse and foy and others come over too.
I obviously have no problem with people who choose to do those things, it's just not going to happen at my home.

If you want to get out of first pools at Apex, stop shield grabbing constantly, and waveland to jab from the ledge with your gannon. Obviously

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
Looks like I'm getting September 24 and November 12 for the next two Troy tournaments. Under two months hype.

Foy

Smash Champion
When the time comes I'll let you guys know how it'll go down cuz I'm gonna be kinda strict about what will and won't be happening at my house because . . . . . . It's my house.
Mad respect and mad respect will be given. I would love to come over and play smash at some point once i get moved into the new place completely

Top Bottom