• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uprise 12 - HOUSTON EDITION! - June 29th, 2013 - Houston, TX

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
Sorry about all of this. I have no problem with hosting Project M, I just have to contact the venue owners first and make sure it's okay with them. I'll get back to you asap. Also trying to get a stream established.
If we cannot get a live stream going, would video capture suffice?

BlinkIV

Avenger
If our plans to head to Hype 3 don't work out, we'll be coming to this instead for Project: Melee (Me, Oracle and likely Sethlon), so I'll be able to help provide some equipment, just not in possession of a laptop right now, since I normally stream from my desktop at home. If anyone would provide a laptop to allow streaming, I'll bring my equipment, with headphones provided (Afterglows)

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
If our plans to head to Hype 3 don't work out, we'll be coming to this instead for Project: Melee (Me, Oracle and likely Sethlon), so I'll be able to help provide some equipment, just not in possession of a laptop right now, since I normally stream from my desktop at home. If anyone would provide a laptop to allow streaming, I'll bring my equipment, with headphones provided (Afterglows)
I will be bringing my laptop. So you can set up a stream on that if Dallas ends up coming.

TheFoolishPhilosopher

Smash Cadet
I know one person that is coming and two that are on the fence, in addition to me. I'm bringing a full setup as well.
I believe the other two are waiting to see if there are more people coming, so hype as much as you can.
I'll be there, tournament or not. You guys beat me down last tournament and I'm ready to make a comeback.

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
Project M is happening, since Vinnie said he is fine with it. I will be there to TO single and doubles brackets with a set up. Get your tech skill practice in this week, and I will see you guys this weekend. :)

Once again, since Vinnie is nice enough to let us hold this side event, and the venue is not charging any additional fees, please buy some yummy tea.

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
I know one person that is coming and two that are on the fence, in addition to me. I'm bringing a full setup as well.
I believe the other two are waiting to see if there are more people coming, so hype as much as you can.
I'll be there, tournament or not. You guys beat me down last tournament and I'm ready to make a comeback.
I'm looking forward to it. :D

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
Dfw should be bringing some pm players. Were doing dubs and singles right?
Yes. I will be organizing P:M brackets for both doubles and singles. We'll have a $5 entry fee per person for both with a 60/30/10 split.
Hope to see you guys there. It sucks that Hype! 3 didn't work out for you.

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
Why is PS1 banned?
The rock and fire transitions promote camping to a certain extent on the left side of the stage. If the rock/tree is between the players, then you often see players wait out the transformation, or at least play drastically more conservatively. A combination of that and Skyworld not being a bad competitive stage on Page 1 are the reasons I feel Sethlon and Oracle chose to make that switch.

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
what time is pm going to happen?
That will ultimately depend on attendance in both Brawl and P:M brackets as well as how many people are participating in both. But for right now, I'm planning on coinciding the events with Brawl, having doubles at 2:00pm and singles at 4:30pm. I would recommend getting there before registration to get some practice in.

Oracle

Smash Master
G rabbit would you mind actually using the group stage list? I want to test it out and see if it works well.
1. After game one, the winning player bans a group of stages.
2. Losing player selects a group.
3. Winning player bans one stage in that group.
4. Losing player picks a stage from the remaining four
5. Winner chooses character
6. Loser chooses character

Group 1: Big Stage Big Blastzone
Dreamland 64
Castlevania
Kongo Jungle 64
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island Brawl

Group 2: Big Stage Small Blastzone (aka fox stages)
Rumble Falls
Skyloft
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 2
Norfair

Group 3: Small Stage Big Blastzone
Fountain of Dreams
Metal Cavern
Port Town
Battlefield
Castle Seige

Group 4: Small Stage Small Blastzone
Green Hill Zone
Yoshi's Story
WarioWare
Delfino Plaza
Halberd

I have a sss that color codes everything, will probably be doing some updates on it in the coming days.

@strawhat: PS1 is not legal because of two main reasons
1. Blastzones, especially the top, are absurdly close to the stage which make it a little too good of a stage for vertical KOs (as well as screwing up the camera)
2. Its way too similar to PS1, so you effectively have to use two bans to get rid of one stage if you don't want to go there

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
G rabbit would you mind actually using the group stage list? I want to test it out and see if it works well.

Dreamland 64
Castlevania
Kongo Jungle 64
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island Brawl

Rumble Falls
Skyloft
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 2
Norfair

Fountain of Dreams
Metal Cavern
Port Town
Battlefield
Castle Seige

Green Hill Zone
Yoshi's Story
WarioWare
Delfino Plaza
Halberd

I have a sss that color codes everything, will probably be doing some updates on it in the coming days.
I like this. Yes, we can use that so you can test it out. Can I PM you my email address and you send me your SSS file? Or post a link if it's uploaded to Mediafire?

EDIT: (Last time, I promise) For Project M, we will be using Oracle's stage groups and procedures above. I will be making a poster so the groups are visible to everyone to help mitigate any confusion the day of.

Tesh

Smash Hero
After skipping out on doubles for so long, I think I'll enter this time.

Who would like to request my partnership in combat?

Tesh

Smash Hero
Vinnie, the OP needs:
price of each event
start times for project M
payouts
link to brawl ruleset, what you currently have just links to "apex 2014 coming soon " on the apex site. ( i guess half of this would be solved by fixing this link)

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
I posted it earlier, but so it's more recent and centralized:

PM Doubles at 2:00pm ($10 per team) 70/30 payout
PM Singles at 4:30pm ($5 per player) 60/30/10 payout

Ruleset will follow LTC (http://smashboards.com/threads/pm-l...confirmed-july-27th-28th-grapevine-tx.336709/) with the following edited stage list and stage selection procedure.

Dreamland 64
Castlevania
Kongo Jungle 64
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island Brawl

Rumble Falls
Skyloft
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 2
Norfair

Fountain of Dreams
Metal Cavern
Port Town
Battlefield
Castle Seige

Green Hill Zone
Yoshi's Story
WarioWare
Delfino Plaza
Halberd

Vinnie

Smash Master
Updated the OP. Please be on time and bring setups! Remember, there's no venue fee, but please buy some tea! It should be a great time everyone :D.

Schedule

12:00pm - Opens / setup
12:30pm - Registration
1:00pm - Doubles begins
4:30pm - Singles begins
5:00pm - Project M Singles
7:00pm - Low tier doubles begins

Prices
Brawl Singles - $10
Brawl Doubles - $10/person
LT Doubles - $5/person
Project M Singles - $10/person

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
Updated the OP. Please be on time and bring setups! Remember, there's no venue fee, but please buy some tea! It should be a great time everyone :D.

Schedule

12:00pm - Opens / setup
12:30pm - Registration
1:00pm - Doubles begins
4:30pm - Singles begins
5:00pm - Project M Singles
7:00pm - Low tier doubles begins

Prices
Brawl Singles - $10
Brawl Doubles - $10/person
LT Doubles - $5/person
Project M Singles - $10/person
Is there room in the schedule for Project M doubles as well? If not, then we can just have friendlies.

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
What was wrong with running the two games concurrently?
People who enter both would have to do a lot of back and forth around the venue, and some brackets can get delayed if they're able to stay in each bracket for a while without getting eliminated. That's why it's wise to stagger them a little. But if we end up having enough P:M exclusives, then coinciding them shouldn't cause too much of a hassle. We'll have to assess that on the day of though.

TheFoolishPhilosopher

Smash Cadet
I think running Project M concurrently is a better idea regardless. Running Project M later won't save a ton of time for anyone, seeing as the people entering both won't likely be a majority. Having space inbetween matches (even if it is because the bracket is delayed) is good because everyone, including people who were eliminated, gets time to play. Even if the entire bracket is delayed, people aren't so impatient that they won't be okay with playing friendlies for a little bit. It encourages branching out and playing lots of different people.
Furthermore, having Project M concurrently won't hold up the Brawl bracket much (or any) seeing as a lot of the people in the Project M tournament will be bringing their own setup.
The only reason I bring it up is because starting the Project M tournament at 5:00PM means I probably won't be there until 4:00PM at the earliest, and it likely means it'll run pretty late. I'm fine with that, but I also wanted to get in a lot of friendlies and such after the tournament ended.
Beyond that, if we're doing a headcount for doubles to see if it's still a good idea, I am definitely up for it.

Tesh

Smash Hero
no reason not to start both games at the same time, there is always overlap between events, but starting early doesn't mean you have to get most of the bracket done by 5 or something, just gives you more to work with.

no reason for project m to bring their own setups at 12 then sit around for 5 hours. starting project m later would only make sense if they needed our wiis/tvs to start

vinnie, you should also clarify "low tier" as some people stop below lucas and some stop above luigi/pt/lucas.

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
no reason not to start both games at the same time, there is always overlap between events, but starting early doesn't mean you have to get most of the bracket done by 5 or something, just gives you more to work with.

no reason for project m to bring their own setups at 12 then sit around for 5 hours. starting project m later would only make sense if they needed our wiis/tvs to start

vinnie, you should also clarify "low tier" as some people stop below lucas and some stop above luigi/pt/lucas.
Well, I was hoping to have a doubles bracket before the singles bracket. I know a lot of us P:M players were hoping for some doubles bracket, and that way we wouldn't be playing friendlies from noon to 5pm. Either way, I will be there at the beginning. Vinnie, would you be able to fit P:M doubles in the schedule?

Tesh

Smash Hero
I think he just left p:m dubs out by accident. The ability to run that is up to how many setups you guys bring for p:m.

Bring extra SD cards if you can, if things somehow go sour for you guys i'll lend my wii if needed.

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
I think he just left p:m dubs out by accident. The ability to run that is up to how many setups you guys bring for p:m.

Bring extra SD cards if you can, if things somehow go sour for you guys i'll lend my wii if needed.
Thank you for all your help Tesh. I'll be sure to have a spare SD card.

TheFoolishPhilosopher

Smash Cadet

I agree completely. I'm not saying we should start PM before anything else, just at the same time. I want to get in lots of friendlies.

TheFoolishPhilosopher

Smash Cadet
I'd like to say around the time the tournament starts, but to be honest, I've been waiting to play some more competitive-level people so badly I'll probably be there at noon.

Top Bottom