• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
Smash is fun even though it doesn't have every single thing I wanted, and it's easy to ignore the things I dislike. (Smash Tour.) After skimming this thread post release I'm convinced this is an unpopular opinion.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
I do not like Smash Tour. The one where you move your Amiibo into other groups of Amiibo. I think the game mode is lame and boring. I would rather have the Melee or Brawl classic mode cloned in Smash 4. It's better, randomised, who you fight, has fun fights like VS metal and vs giant.

I do like the Smash Mario Party game though. I think that's really fun.

I will also add, apart from the Zelda 2 remixes, I prefer all of the original tracks. I really think the old chip tune music from the 1980's and other original game music is really good. And most of the remixes are totally not as good. S much so I turned most of them off in my music for each stage.

Mach Rider being on wrecking crew and not on an F-Zero stage is strange. And there is a ton of amazing Animal Crossing music and we get none of the good stuff. But past all this I'm ok with the music that is there. It's pretty good. Just not my thing, a lot of the new remixes though.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I do not like Smash Tour. The one where you move your Amiibo into other groups of Amiibo. I think the game mode is lame and boring. I would rather have the Melee or Brawl classic mode cloned in Smash 4. It's better, randomised, who you fight, has fun fights like VS metal and vs giant.

I do like the Smash Mario Party game though. I think that's really fun.

I will also add, apart from the Zelda 2 remixes, I prefer all of the original tracks. I really think the old chip tune music from the 1980's and other original game music is really good. And most of the remixes are totally not as good. S much so I turned most of them off in my music for each stage.

Mach Rider being on wrecking crew and not on an F-Zero stage is strange. And there is a ton of amazing Animal Crossing music and we get none of the good stuff. But past all this I'm ok with the music that is there. It's pretty good. Just not my thing, a lot of the new remixes though.
The Mario Party game is Smash Tour...moving trophies around a board is "Classic Mode".

T

Trick or Treat

While I love this game to no end, I'm still very dissappointed about the lack of a Subspace sequel. We've known this for a while obviously, but it just hit me. I'm one of the few people who loved that mode in Brawl.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
Over half the game was ported from Brawl. From 64 to Melee was incredible since the roster was doubled, the models didn't look like they were made on a potato, and they added a new 1p mode. Melee to Brawl made most events have specific characters, but you still got way better graphics, an amazing 1p mode, and beautiful remixes. Now, we kept most of the Brawl remixes, and traded the massive 1p mode for...Mario party, where you HAVE to play as characters you hate? wat. At least they should have made some of the changes they wanted to make from Brawl like giving each character his own unique fanfare, not just Meta Knight, Rosie, and Dark pit.
I agree with a lot of your post, but this one specifically gets me. All the Assist Trophys, the Pokemon, the stages, the music... even the sound effect when you press start at the Main Menu is straight from Brawl. A minor complaint in itself, but it really feels like HD Brawl to me.

Additionally...

The menus are an ugly and jumbled mess. Why does Smash Tour have its own button? Why is Trophy Rush hidden away? I was trying to find how many matches I played to see what I needed to unlock characters and that was squirreled away somewhere as well.

And Sakurai just needs to go. I'm sick of the manufactured zaniness he forces into this game. Oh look, this item completely back-fired on me at random and killed me... because why wouldn't it. I roll and wrestle with an opponent for several minutes and manage to snatch away an Assist Trophy. Oh, Skull Kid. Now I'm invisible or upside down or backwards or some zany BS. The complete randomness and misery of Smash Tour. My friends and I got a cheap chuckle out of Wii Fit Trainers moves. Now the joke is done and we'd like Ridley or Wolf. Giant Bowser and Metal Villager were just randomly crapped onto my Classic Mode stage (the format of which is already a disaster). Yellow Devil and Ridley pretty much ensure that Wily's Castle and Pyrosphere will never be played outside of Omega Form.

Not every possible advantage needs to blow up in your face, Sakurai. That's zany but it doesn't mean it's fun. Not every stage needs to have some annoying slap in the face like Sideshow Bob stepping on a rake. My friends and I play casually but most of the time we have to strip half of the garbage off the game to enjoy playing it.

Lionman

Smash Champion
- Little Mac should be an assist throphy
- I hate Shulk for no reason, he is a ****ing overrated character, he is like a generic Anime Shonen character
- Ditto for PacMan and Sonic, specially Sonic. Did someone hear: Hey, did you played the new Pacman game, its amazing? me never, but hey, lets put him instead of Llord or someone cooler
- They made Falcon a pure mechanical character
- Mewtwo is just a way to make meleefags buy the game
- Some characters are for brainless people
- The Master Fortress is just a lazy rework of Smashventure
- No Break The Targets :(
- 8 Players mode is not fun
- The game is like a rework of Brawl, they reused a lot of music and stuff
- 99% online players are stupid casuals, no ranking, no matchmaking, only little macs

Last edited:

Squadaloo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RodRodney
I think I like the stage selection in 3DS better than the Wii U stages. There's less tour stages, less intrusive gimmicks, and less super massive stages that are too big even for 8 players. I feel like Wii U has a few really good stages, but even more really bad ones. Still, I like it better than Brawl's though so there's that.

OdangoKnight

Smash Cadet
The 3DS version is an abomination that has heavily influenced and ruined the potential of the Wii U version leaving us with what feels like an empty experience in both games.

If Sakurai was working on this almost 24/7 since he got back onto the team and both games are filled with to the brim reused and ported content then I have to say he's wasted the past few years of his life. The package of both games is indeed good, don't get me wrong, but if you've dedicated that much time to only produce what we have then that's a severe issue that I can hopefully blame the 3DS version for.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I actually disagree with the comments that Smash 4 WiiU is all reused content. Sure there are a few reused stages and music. But that's it. There's a lot of new content for the WiiU version, not in Brawl Melee.

• Classic is all new
  • Smash Tour/Party
  • Trophy Rush
  • The challenges screen is all new
  • Having a map for the event matches
  • Angry Birds smash
  • Miis for multiman
  • Master Boss and Master Core
  • All Star being a fixed order now
  • Master/Crazy Orders
  • Paying to do classic mode
  • And probably more I can't remember now.

I will say how much I like each new feature:

Classic
I hate it. It's just short number of matches then Master Hand/core. Brawl/Melee's Classic was so so much better. The stages were interesting. Giant or metal battles. A lot more randomisation in who you fought. And I like how Crazy Hand entered the battle mid fight and had a separate HP meter. If I was Sakurai I'd have just cloned the Brawl/Melee classic and not changed it to the crap we got in Smash WiiU.
Actually I think Classic on 3DS is better as well.

Smash Tour/Party
This could have been better. But I do really like what it is.. It's really fun. Even if the CPU opponents are cheap as all ****. Like getting 2 bombs thrown in my face in the 1st second of a fight to get KO'd. I actually like this better than the adventure modes of Brawl/Melee.

Trophy Rush
This is fun now, but I think it'll get repetitive and boring very fast. The Brawl coin launcher was better. You could see trophies you were aiming to get. And the coin launcher boosts made it fun. Sure it gold old too but I still like it more,

The challenges screen is all new
I don't hate this. It's ok. It's just like Adventure mode on Hyrule Warriors. The Brawl challenges screen looked so much better. But the Smash WiiU one makes you earn the challenges in an oder unless you randomly earn a still hidden challenge. How Smash WiiU shows the unhammerable challenges I do not like. They should just do it Brawl style. Blue for standard, yellow gives you a hammer when done and red is unhammerable.

Having a map for the event matches
This is nice but it's just gravy really. The matches themselves are good in Smash WiiU. Much better than the crap ones in Brawl. I hated them all in Brawl. But in Smash WiiU they are pretty good. And fun. Some of them on hard are just really unfair. Have to do some on hard for the prizes. And those unfair ones you have to play cheap to win. The CPU is cheap as all **** on them. By cheap I mean stuff like hanging off stage in the walk off stage challenges so you can try to knock them out of the stage easily. Fighting the CPU legit in the middle of the stage is impossible. It's play cheap and win or get KO'd and lose in 10 seconds.

Angry Birds smash
I assume this exists simply because there was no time or want to make a target test stage for each of 50ish characters. A shame this. What we do have in Smash WiiU is nice. But I don't think it'll be something I'll play much apart from getting the challenges I need with them.

Miis for multiman
This makes sense as they are the faceless men of Smash. First it was polygon men then wireframe men. And now Miis. The polygon/wireframe men I think were cooler but the Miis do the same job. I am not too fussed about this.

Master Boss and Master Core
I beat the master boss for the first time yesterday, Intensity 6. And it underwhelmed me. I do not see the point of it. If it was me I'd have just made Master and Crazy different with more moves or something. Also the hands feel much harder than in Brawl. I could easy beat the hands in Brawl on very hard (or whatever the hardest difficulty was) but in Smash WiiU I died once trying to beat them on Intensity 6. I did the job still. The Master boss thing that followed the hands just died so fast. Was a joke compared to the hands. I'd rather the hands worked and appeared at the times they did in Brawl. That was better.

All Star being a fixed order now
This is less fun because it's the same order each time. But it makes your clear times actually meaningful. In Brawl /Melee your time was based on your skill and what luck you got in the order of the fighters. Some are much easier on their own to fight. In Smash WiiU the order is always the same so there's no RNG in the order affecting your clear times. So I'd probably give the slight edge here to Smash WiiU.

Master/Crazy Orders
Something new and fun. Not much to say here. It's great. I like it.

Paying to do classic mode
I do not like this. I prefer Brawl's method where as you only pay to continue. And the price goes up as the difficulty does. And also in Smash 4 if you get cheesed into a KO and loose you can't even continue as the same difficulty. That I hate. If I want a certain difficulty, that's the ****ing difficulty I want, even if I lose in it, I want to keep trying at it till I beat it, but get told, you suck, here's something easier to do now. I will never get better if the game makes it easier for me each time I lose.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

All Star being a fixed order now
This is less fun because it's the same order each time. But it makes your clear times actually meaningful. In Brawl /Melee your time was based on your skill and what luck you got in the order of the fighters. Some are much easier on their own to fight. In Smash WiiU the order is always the same so there's no RNG in the order affecting your clear times. So I'd probably give the slight edge here to Smash WiiU.
Not sure if this is an oversight, but you mention that in Brawl, All Star's order is randomized. This is incorrect; All Star in Brawl was a fixed order based on franchise debut; starting with Game & Watch and ending with Pikmin.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Not sure if this is an oversight, but you mention that in Brawl, All Star's order is randomized. This is incorrect; All Star in Brawl was a fixed order based on franchise debut; starting with Game & Watch and ending with Pikmin.
Ya an oversight. I was going off memory. Melee was the random one with the G&W hordes at the end right?
Strange I didn't remember that about Brawl. Oh well. I sill think both random and not random is good. But not random just wins cause your clear times actually mean something.

D

Deleted member

Ya an oversight. I was going off memory. Melee was the random one with the G&W hordes at the end right?
Strange I didn't remember that about Brawl. Oh well. I sill think both random and not random is good. But not random just wins cause your clear times actually mean something.
Yeah, Melee was randomized with 25 G&Ws at the end.

S0 B00sted

Smash Cadet
Premium
I like most of the things people are complaining about and don't think there is too much content from previous games.

Except Pac-Land. **** Pac-Land.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
- I like Wario's frame-by-frame animation than his fluid animation.
- I really wish there were less returning stages. Like seriously, why is Mario Circuit returning when we already have a new Mario Circuit??!!!!
- I like Smash Tour. Although I do not have the game, so I would have to reserve my judgement.
- I never get why we have to be negative about the game when it could be worse.
- I flipping hate Bouncy Fish.
- I honestly don't like Stadium, specifically Home Run Contest and Multi-Man Smash and would not mind if they go. Target Smash and Blast are cool on my book though.
- Despite being the first made, I like Mii Brawler the least of the Mii Fighters
- I like Peach's appearance and design in Brawl better than in here. I don't know why but the realistic and watered-down colors on her look very well. Also why does she look surprised when she is grabbed? You been kidnapped countless times,woman, yet you act surprised that some person has grabbed you!

Mindles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMindless
3DS FC
5026-5818-5094
IMO: this isnt as in depth in terms of what was discovered in melee however this game is sooooooo good and has alot of potential

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Route 23's remix makes me sad.

I don't like it.

SmashShard

Smash Rookie
Smash 4 is boring and frustrating to play competitively, the "meta" will evolve no differently than Brawl.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
That's for you to decide. I've seen nothing but hate for the remix, personally. I think it sounds just fine. Until this reply, I had seen no one else who liked the piece.
I love it, though I haven't heard the original since I'm not much of a Pokemon guy. Maybe that's why xD

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Why do people think Shulk is a generic animu sword character?

XENOBLADE DOESN'T HAVE A MANGA NOR AN ANIME, DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER.

Last edited:

Yellowpikmin476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yellowpikmin476
3DS FC
4854-6467-1287
Just one thing...
I actually miss tripping, it cracked me up every time!

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
I love Smash Tour, it's so much fun.

I don't like how we got two versions of Smash this year. I would have preferred it if we only got one for Wii U that combines the good ideas of both. Smash Run could have been added to the Wii U version as a single player stadium event where the goal is simply to get a high score. Also many of the stages from the 3ds version such as Paper Mario, Gerudo Valley, Magicant, and Find Mii would have looked amazing on the Wii U.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
-I'm in love with the revamped photo studio for trophies, as well as the photo editing features available for screenshots. I look forward to seeing really creative shots from this community.

-Pokemon Stadium theme from Melee is the Smash series' best Pokemon remix ever.

-Some of the aesthetic and audio choices for this game come off as supremely lazy.

The biggest ones comes from the recycled Brawl audio files for menu navigation as well as the reused victory fanfares.

Seriously, I can't be only one who's annoyed at that.

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
  • I feel that the 3ds version of the game held the Wii U version back and it was a waste of time to make it.
  • The stage builder need to be more easy to use and more need to be add to it
  • Sakurai should stay a director of the game, I see the series going down hill without him, so say it will be better without him but I just don't see that happening.
  • I was looking for more new stages in this game not more passed smash stages, this ties in with the 3DS version taking some of the Wii U version time.
  • I hoping for DLC to really pack this game with new content.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
- I hate Shulk for no reason, he is a ****ing overrated character, he is like a generic Anime Shonen character
This isn't a unpopular opinion, this is just bias and stupid. You hate a character... for no reason?

How is he overrated... if you don't know who he is? your saying this like if this was a bad thing.
Please don't judge a book form it's cover

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
This isn't a unpopular opinion, this is just bias and stupid. You hate a character... for no reason?

How is overrated... if you don't know who he his, your saying this like if this was a bad thing.
Please don't judge a book form it's cover
They gave a reason, you just didn't like it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom