• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
While I am disappointed by Takamura's inclusion, I always wanted Mach Rider more. Still, Takamura would've been anything but generic, coming from someone who actually played his game.

CrimsonYoshi

Smash Apprentice
- I don't want a tier list in the next game. I feel they are too hard to determine and unless you stick out like a sore thumb (meta knight) they don't work. For example, my friends and I are all good at Smash and can beat almost anyone online. But when we play local, I can still beat their best characters with Lucas, an E tier character. Not to mention my other main, mario, who can beat my friend's Pikachu.

- I don't have a problem with the current female characters, I'm not against it, and some of them actually look pretty cool. But I don't want female characters added FOR THE SAKE OF HAVING MORE FEMALE CHARACTERS. If they have a good move set, fine, but don't just add them.

- I don't want Rayman and hate sonic. Sonic is a stuck-up, annoying blue....thing who hasn't had a good game in years. Rayman is weird and ubisoft and nintendo haven't been doing well together, I heard. He wouldn't bode well with me just because he's odd. I actually would like a resized Ridley. He'd be about bowser's size and could have good attacks. (Most people joke about him, so I assume he's not actually popular...)

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'm completely indifferent to Takamaru being an Assist Trophy.
Sure, he's an Assist, and I know many wanted him to be playable. But to be fair, it could've been worse.

Last edited:

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
While it is a little bitter sweet, I'm glad Takamaru is an assist. As far as sword characters go, we have more unique options in Robin, Shulk and Isaac.

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
Here comes a list of very unpopular opinions (some more than others)... ^^;

-I really dislike how the Final Smash system works (the smash ball system obviously works better for some characters than others, it's blatantly unfair).
-I also dislike how almost all of the Final Smashes are unchanged despite the obvious imbalance between them and how some of them make no sense.
-I really dislike Zelda's TP design and was very disappointed when she was revealed with it again.
-I don't like Charizard, Lucario, Greninja, Zero Suit Samus, Ike, or the Mii Fighters.
-I feel even worse about the Miis inclusions after their reveal, would've much preferred an actual moveset pulled from the multiple games they appeared in rather than just generic gunner/sword/fist fighting styles.
-I like Lucina but feel that she may as well just remain a costume if she's going to play almost the same way Marth does.
-I much prefer Jigglypuff to any of the other Pokemon revealed/likely to return.
-I'd rather have had Pichu come back than having Charizard return without Squirtle and Ivysaur.
-I don't like R.O.B. or Ice Climbers and wouldn't care if neither of them returned.
-I'm glad Snake's not back.
-I'm glad that Chrom wasn't added (I wouldn't have minded him if Ike wasn't there though).
-I hate Jungle Japes and Green Hill Zone and wish they didn't return.
-I would've much preferred if the default villager was the pink haired girl but this one is minor and I don't really care that much since she's in.
-I don't want Wolf or Falco to return even though I'm sure they will.
-I don't want Ridley or K. Rool to be added at all.

I don't think we're owed another retro character.

Mega Man, Little Mac, Palutena, and Pac-Man are some pretty old game characters regardless of recent reappearances.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Despite the inconceivable explosion of butthurt that it would have caused, I wish the Pipe Burst rumor had been true and I feel like, aside from possible DLC, Shulk and Marshall are in fact our last two newcomers.

knightofsouls

Smash Cadet
If they bring back the brawl veterans(Minus squirtle/Ivysaur/Rob), bring back Mewtwo, and I am happy.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Mewtwo's not playable in brawl...
He never said he was.

Anyway, unpopular opinion time.

I think Muddy Mole would be a much better choice than Takamaru would have been.

TheSoraKid

Banned via Warnings
He never said he was.

Anyway, unpopular opinion time.

I think Muddy Mole would be a much better choice than Takamaru would have been.
Ah, alright my bad.

For the character Krystal, I don't know if I should welcome her if she's included or be against her for various reasons.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
- I like every Smash character ever put into any of the games, whether or not I like playing as them. That includes Pichu.

- I still want Geno in this game, even though it will never happen.

- I liked Subspace Emissary. A lot. I've replayed it several times.

- I like what they've done with the Miis. I know that this is somewhat covered by #1, but honestly it does seem to be an unpopular opinion all by itself now.

- I think Brawl is overall a better game than Melee.

Not competitively, of course.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
- I like every Smash character ever put into any of the games, whether or not I like playing as them. That includes Pichu.

- I still want Geno in this game, even though it will never happen.

- I liked Subspace Emissary. A lot. I've replayed it several times.

- I like what they've done with the Miis. I know that this is somewhat covered by #1, but honestly it does seem to be an unpopular opinion all by itself now.

- I think Brawl is overall a better game than Melee.

Not competitively, of course.
I agree with all of the bolded. Don't disagree with Geno, I just haven't played Mario RPG. I really hope that nobody gets cut.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Wow. While I know it's an *******ish thing to celebrate someone's deconfirmation, I'm really glad Takamaur isn't playable. That bandwagon was mad annoying and I was about to post on the Unpopular Opinions board that Muiramasu's Castle coming to Virtual Console meant nothing.
I bet if any other character from Takamru's Moving Castle was confirmed, everyone would be pissed saying "who the hell is this guy?!?!" and have no idea about any of the other character's from the game since I bet the majority of supporters haven't even played the game. Same went with the Chrom bandwagon where 90% of Chrom supporters had no idea who Robin was.

Yeah I misspelled things but I'm not too bothered to fix them.
My thoughts on Takamauru from the Miiverse thread after his disconfirmation.
- Virtual Console does nothing for a character. If that were the case we might as well get the characters from Ufouria since that game just released recently.
(Actually this game is pretty good. You should check it out sometime)

- It's depressing that we're already campaigning for DLC when the entire roster hasn't been shown yet. And DLC for Assist Trophies and Chrom is totally not gonna happen, even though I'd love for Dillon, Dark Samus, Ashley, and (not yet confirmed) Issac to be playable. Also DLC on veterans that didn't make the cut the first time seems like a waste.
On topic of DLC, we'd realistically only get like 4 more characters max. The meat of whatever DLC we get will probably be just more stages if anything. I'd wait until the game is released to get excited for DLC.

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
I'm worried that we might not get any DLC at all. Still waiting on Mario Kart DLC...

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
I'm secretly hoping Fox/Falco will be bottom tier characters, for the sole purpose of changing up the stale as swampwater meta...

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I wouldn't mind G&W being cut if that meant Paper Mario would be in (for whatever reason, I'm notorious for thinking the 'limited slots' mindset is ridiculous).

My preferred outcome is both being in, though.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I actually like the physics how they were in the demo a bit more than Brawl's. The seemingly increased aerial momentum combined with kind of insane blast zones -_- are actually kind of interesting. It will make off ledge play even better than Brawl. And the off ledge game will be more than just *hit off the stage... *grabs ledge. Thats a little boring to me. This is all from a spectator perspective.

Playing the game? I'd prefer thatnot all characters are basically guaranteed return if they don't touch the blast zone.:ohwell: Ha ha ha.

Last edited:

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
  • I don't like the notion that one can "fix" someone else's creative vision simply by going in and tinkering with it. It's why I'm fine with movie fan edits that are just screwing around with filters and music for ****s and giggles, but detest fan edits that purport to be actual improvements over the original. No they're not, you didn't make anything. For this reason, I think the creation of Project M was incredibly presumptuous and a total waste of time.
  • I'm annoyed by the idea that Tropical Freeze does nothing to help Dixie Kong's chances, because it seems to be mostly held by a handful of K. Rool supporters who think we can only get one or the other... and I GUARANTEE that if K. Rool was in Tropical Freeze, but Dixie wasn't, every single one of them would be constantly touting it as definitive proof that K. Rool was going to be in Smash.
  • I genuinely don't get why anyone would want Roy back. Because he was in Melee? He's gone. Get over it.
  • I see a lot of "I wish the Miis had moves from their own games, " but the Miis might be the MOST representative of their other appearances. They're player avatars who fit the purpose of whatever game they're in. In Wii Sports, they play sports, in Mario Kart, they race. Smash is a fighting game, so they fight using a couple of Smash fighting tropes. Makes perfect sense for them, and I love that direction.
  • I didn't realize how much I wanted Rayman in this game until that trophy tease. It consumes me now.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Hey, its the 3rd time I come to this thread! But its an excellent place to vent my rage/opinions.

-I actually never cared for the Metroid series or Ridley. The only reason I want Ridley in is to see everyone who keeps bashing their supporters and chanting "Ridley is too big" to eat their words. Such rudeness everywhere... (ok, 10% because a pterodactyl would be cool).

-Lately the newest character suggestion threads have been too ridiculous to me. Like people is trying to come up with character ideas just for the sake of forcing a conversation.

-Shulk and Isaac really need to think what is their strategy to get in Smash Bros 4. Because if it was "swordfighter with magic attacks" Robin just beat ya to the punch. In other words, I think Shulk and Isaac chances are very weak now, though I wouldn't mind if one of the two makes it in.

-The fact that Sakurai can make up movesets for any character doesnt mean he has to. There are plenty characters with easy to implement fight styles still that should be in Smash over "This guy doesn't do anything in his game but lets make every move he makes a reference to his game".

-Im considering to ban Melee from my house when SSB4 comes out. My friends only care for that game and never wanted to give Brawl or Project M a competitive chance. And they even start to sound that they wont give SSB4 a chance either. I say this because I can't stop them from playing Melee, and I agree is a fun game and I loved it in its time too. But I really want to move on.

Apologies for any offense in advance.

Last edited:

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Smash 4 3DS is more important than the Wii U version and probably will sell more too.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
- Comparing Takamaru's moveset potential to the ton of EUROPEAN-STYLED swordfighters we already have is beyond stupid and uninformed.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
- I don't want to hear a goddamn thing about retro characters until we get Ice Climbers back.
- There still aren't enough sword fighters.
- There's no such thing as "too much Mario". Pokemon usually has as much or more reps than Mario anyways and no one complains about that.
- I don't get why people brag that "Project M did this mechanic better" or "Project M does Alternate Costumes better" when they're obviously not on a deadline. Sakurai and the development team have to get the game out as soon as possible while still making a well polished game. The Project M team has all the time in the world to MODIFY, not create, MODIFY the game to whatever mundane details they want.
- I'm kinda starting to lose my mind that we've heard almost nothing about Peach. And there's virtually almost no gameplay of her yet.
Sure you can say the same about not hearing much about Diddy but I don't care about him.

Last edited:

mariop476

Smash Rookie
It's my first time being here in awhile!

I HATE the fact that they chose the Flavion to represent Paper Mario TTYD (since it looks like each game will get one location). They could have chosen the Whale from the original Paper Mario to have a water area. TTYD has so many beautiful and interesting locations in Glitzville, the X-Naut Fortress, the Boggly Woods, Hooktail castle, etc. I think it's wasted potential on such a wonderful game.

Also, I'm getting a little tired of people thinking that just because they have a different logo in smash, DK, Diddy, Wario, and Yoshi aren't Nintendo characters. All of them regularly star in games with one another. Sports for all three and platformers for Yoshi, also the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series.

Though at the same time, I still think it wouldn't hurt to give Mario another few reps. It's Nintendo's biggest franchise, and apparently it's large enough to have subseries in Yoshi, DK, and Wario.

Anyway, that's my two cents, even though some seem to overlap and conflict with one another, I stand by my points.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Unpopular Opinion: This game should have more Third Party characters, who cares about Nintendo characters?

Edit: I have heard some people actually say this.

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpongeBev
Also, I'm getting a little tired of people thinking that just because they have a different logo in smash, DK, Diddy, Wario, and Yoshi aren't Nintendo characters.
There's a lot more Nintendo characters than that.

I think you mean Mario characters.

Last edited:

Pickledpotatoes

Smash Journeyman
Lucina is dumb and is exactly what I was worried would happen if they added another/more FE character(s). She's a Marth clone that gave the franchise more characters than it needed.

Robin is cool though.

Fairlet

Smash Rookie
Okay this is my opinion on who should get in/the most deserving and why. It used to be a bit bigger but I decided to cut Ridley after he was shown to be a stage hazird Chrom after being revealed as Ravens Final Smash and Mewtwo after Lucarios reveal (since mewtwo is a clone) and a few other characters.

11. Master Cheif: His chances may be slim but honestly microsoft would be a little nuts not to put him in.. lol. With them launching the Master Cheif Collection right around the time Smash4 U is rumored to release this would be the perfect oppurtunity to advertize him and smash is such a great game for that sort of thing. Nintendo probably wouldnt even say no since this is they're one chance to use him.

10. Joel: Joel should be in Smash 4 since the Last of Us is arguably the best game of the last generation (and currently this generation with it being Remastered on the PS4)/best game ever made. Joel is an insta-icon, and what is Smash Bros full of? That's right, iconic characters. We've had Snake before too and he's basically Sony-exclusive at this point.. with Snake also looking like he's not going to be in Smash4, who better to replace him then Joel?

9. Mighty No. 9: We already have Megaman and Mighty deffinetly has enough supporters to warrent him in Smash4. The creator even said he wanted him in smash @ SGC! Make it happen Nintendo!

8. Mickey Mouse: I know he's not ORIGINALLY a video game character but he might as well be now since disney only uses him in video games now. Not only is he more iconic than Joel and even rivals Mario and Pacman but Epic Mickey 1 was exclusive to the Wii and there is also an Epic Mickey game exclusive to the 3DS. Disney and Nintendo go together like penut butter and jelly! Plus just think about how awesome the moveset would be: A Paintbrush and a keyblade anyone?

7. Wispy Woods: Everyones always complaing how smash needs more villians. And if there's any tree you dont wanna
bark up its this guy right here! Hes already *kind of* been in smash so we already know he fits in with the game. Plus id love to see the moveset they come up with!

6. Dawn & Piplup: Gen 4 was one of, if not they BEST generation of pokemon. Dawn & Piplup can basically act like the ice climbers only they'd be way more unique since they wouldnt just mimmic eachothers moves. They'd be different heights and have a lopsided hitbox with each of them using their own attacks. -Piplup Water-based (obviously) and Dawn physical attacks. And no, Piplup wouldnt be able to be projected out so their not like Rosalina & Luma either.

5. Bandana Dee: See the Bandana Dee thread. 'nuff said

4. Candy Kong: She is without a doubt the must have DK rep and im surprised more people dont list her. I think she'd really make the roster a lot more diverse and adds a lot more color to the roster and is unique in that she is the only human donkey kong rep.

3. Yarn Kirby: Yarn Kirby would be so cool to have! I used to think his chances were a bit higher, but with Epic Yarn being a few years older now I dropped him from #2 to #3. He'd be very unique since he wouldnt have Kirbys main gimmic of sucking up enemies and turning into a car when he dashes and using his string as a recovery move.

2. Clay Kirby: I know his game isnt even out yet, but he can be like how Roy was for Melee. Again, he would play much differently then normal Kirby and even Yarn Kirby. His moveset would be based on you using the Wii Us/3DSs pens to move him around and perform smash attacks with. Not only would he be another unique newcomer, if not the most unique, but it would advertize his game greatly.

1. Prince Fluff: Ive wanted him in Smash ever since beating Epic Yarn and becoming my all-time favorte Kirby character, but he just works so well for smash! He can do what I said for Yarn Kirby, only he's obviously much more likely. But I feel like with Prince Fluff they can also utilize more of the game since he's fully from Patch Land like giving him the magical sock as a Final Smash. Plus hed be the first official Prince in the game! Not to mention he's already a hat in the Mii Plaza, showing that Nintendo still acknowledges and cares for him! (Like Bandana Dee)

Thank you for reading!

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
When he gets his Final Smash, Falco should get his Melee move-set and the game should have Melee physics. Meanwhile all the other characters turn into Sandbags.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
I second the notion that Shulk and a Rhythm Heaven character are most likely our last two newcomers (excluding possible DLC).

I still think Shulk is a pansy, even though I want him playable simply for Xenoblade representation. A weapon shouldn't make the man, but Shulk is entirely useless without the Monado. (Also he talks to it constantly like it's a person, but I digress. Shulk sucks.)

I still want Dixie as a third DK rep over K. Rool. She has actually starred in games. I would still enjoy K. Rool. I just feel Dixie deserves it more.

I don't think we should ever expect cut characters to return, and this includes Mewtwo.

I like every newcomer we've gotten, even if I don't neccessarily like Palutena's exectution.

And now one I've never seen mentioned....

I don't like the flashy air slashes they've added to accentuate characters' hit boxes. I probably will eventually get used to them it time, but they just seem gaudy to me.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
  • I cannot stand people complaining that, "Mario has too many characters." No, as big as the series is, it should be on par with Pokémon. DK characters, Yoshi, and Wario are treated as their own in Smash.
  • Paper Mario being paper, alone, would be a neat niche as a character.
  • I don't really like Palutena. Her speculation killed any hype that I would've had for her upon her reveal.

Last edited:

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Whoa son, I'm coming back to this topic for a third time! I've realized two things over the last time I was here.

- I actually wonder if the aerial lag and the speed changes have a purpose. Why? Because nearly every engine change in favor of Melee makes heavyweights useless. All that speed and movement option means nothing if it makes heavies so useless in high level play.

- I never cared about the Zelda franchise. If every Zelda rep disappeared from SSB, I would not give two s***s or a single f***.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'm glad Takamaru isn't playable for the same reasons Waluigi, Starfy, Ashley, Midna, and Skull Kid aren't.
I see characters like these become moderately popular but they seem so bandwagony to me.

Before Robin was shown I thought his concept was amazing, like in the Robin support thread.
When I saw Robin in actuality I was disappointed. I miss Roy.

I think Lucina is an amazing addition.

Palutena would have been okay if her moveset wasn't so generic and bland.

The most hype characters would be Mewtwo, Ridley, King K. Rool, Geno.

Black Shadow, Impa w/ her Naginata and Roy need a roster spot.

Last edited:

mariop476

Smash Rookie
There's a lot more Mario characters than that.

I think you mean Mario characters.
I totally didn't make a typo there.

*Hides face out of shame*

Also, I'm a bit disappointed when we get large screen dumps. It feels like we get too much info at one time.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I would be satisfied if I got :falco: and that was it. But I wouldn't be very happy. (does that make sense at all?)

Shog

Smash Ace
The new Catle Crush Break the Targets looks like **** ass game

D

Deleted member

"Too many sword characters" is not a valid complaint. There are more characters that punch than there are characters with swords, and all the characters that punch punch differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom