• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
- I would kick Jigglypuff, Lucas and Ice Climbers out of the roster without even hesitating.
- I think a character should be playable if it's unique enough and not because of its relevance.
- I was happy when they announced Takamaru as an Assist Trophy.
- I was happy when they announced Chrom wasn't playable.
- There's no need at all to balance male and female characters.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
It'll be a good game but thanks to the various ways in which it is marketed, the reactions by the influx of new competitive and general players leave me thinking it's probably going to be extremely overhyped.

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
It bothers me that after Gematsu fell through the popular opinion became "Shulk is still guaranteed, but no Rhythm Heaven character now!" I wouldn't be shocked if Shulk made it into the game, but an RH character (maybe the Chorus Kids, maybe not) seems more likely since, as people seem to forget, there's already RH content in Smash Run.

On that note, I'm a little disappointed to see people who think that the RH character should be someone like Karate Joe or the Wrestler, with pitches that consist of "His moveset will consist entirely of conventional combat techniques, and maybe music could play during his final smash."

It seems like the word "overrepresentation" only enters the conversation when someone thinks there should be more than one Mother character in Smash. Screw that give me 100 Mother characters with Mr. T NPC as DLC and Pokemon can have half a Pikachu.

I'm not worried about "slots" but Falco can just stay home.

I like Wario Land too but Wario has a total of two moves that reference Wario Ware, chill with the "He needs a complete moveset revamp!"

Last edited:

General-Guy

Smash Cadet
•The only characters from brawl that should be cut are Snake, Ivysaur , and Squirtle. Why cut anyone else?
•Mewtwo can be brought back if Sakurai chooses to, I don't care at all
•The wii u version needs an interesting mode based on using the game pad. I don't think the game pad is used at all yet.
•Clones are good in moderation and if they make sense. So basically Ganondorf sucks.
•Ganondorf and Wario need completely redone move sets, although Wario can stay the same with just a few different specials.
•I don't think that characters from only a single game should be in smash. That said, this is ok if they are from series with constantly changing characters, like Earthbound or Fire Emblem. This includes retro characters, as all of them so far (Ice climbers, Rob in a sense, Mr GW and Pit) have been in at least two games, even if some of them were Japan only.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
- I'd rather they wipe the playable Pokémon slate clean (save for probably Pikachu) and give us a few new ones instead. This is coming from a fan of the Pokémon games as a whole, and I'd rather Smash not dwell on the traditionally most popular Pokémon for an undue amount of time when we could get vastly new movesets every iteration instead.
- I definitely see more Rhythm Heaven content being more likely than Xenoblade content.
- I have no qualms with series over- or underrepresentation on any front as it stands, just so long as no veterans other than Snake and the missing Pokémon (including, and especially, Jigglypuff) are cut.
- I do not see Dixie as very necessary nor likely, and both even more so for K. Rool.

Last edited:

Totally Casual

Smash Cadet
Sm4sh will actually be good competitively and people are making a fuss over nothing so far.

I'm excited about newcomers even when I haven't played their games because of how good many of the trailers have been (Mega Man, Palutena & Little Mac spring to mind)

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Luigi should not be considered "his own series' rep". He has three decades of history with the Mario series and is by far more known for those appearances than for the two Luigi's Mansion games. It's not a Yoshi/Wario situation where he was introduced and immediately branched out into his own thing, either. He's always been a major player in the main series Mario games, and that will always be the series he's most strongly associated with. Besides, Luigi's Mansion is still considered part of the Mario series, for the time being at least.

If the Wii U had no extra modes in comparison to the 3DS version, I'd still prefer it. Smash Run looks fun, but nothing spectacular.

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
Luigi should not be considered "his own series' rep". He has three decades of history with the Mario series and is by far more known for those appearances than for the two Luigi's Mansion games. It's not a Yoshi/Wario situation where he was introduced and immediately branched out into his own thing, either. He's always been a major player in the main series Mario games, and that will always be the series he's most strongly associated with. Besides, Luigi's Mansion is still considered part of the Mario series, for the time being at least.
I agree...but who's saying that? I thought he was still classified as a Mario rep.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
- I'm not sure where this love for Sceptile is coming from. From various playthroughs that I've seen, Treeko was the least desirable of the 3rd gen Starters and my sister herself said she didn't like him either. If it's just for the sake of having an evolved grass starter (which was never claimed to be an inherent rule) then Meganium, Serperior, or Chesnaught would do the job just fine.
However, this doesn't mean I'm against Sceptile. I'm okay with him at least, it just seemed rather odd that he's getting the most attention.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The idea of playable bosses make me barf.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
- "Smash needs more villains" can be exchanged for "Smash needs K. Rool and Ridley" and it would mean the exact same thing on Smashboards.

- I would cut Lucas for the more interesting Porky in a heartbeat. Why have two similar PSI users when you could have a Mech fighter AND a PSI fighter?

- MOTHER 3 isn't really important enough to deserve it's own rep. It's localised to Japan only and was received with lukewarm reviews from the Japanese. Controversial I know.

- Kid Icarus Uprising is the most overrated game on these boards bar none. It's a GOOD game. Yes, I played it. It's good. It does however not deserve a.) ALL the content for the Kid Icarus series to come from that one game or b.) Deserve overall more content than Starfox, Donkey Kong, Metroid and Pikmin combined. Hopefully this will be rectified in the actual release, but it's insane.

- The Kid Icarus fanbase who will get up in arms over the above section aren't Kid Icarus fans. They are Uprising fans only. It's like claiming to be a Fire Emblem fan because you played only Awakening.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
-For Glory is an amazing mode and I'll be spending most of my time there.

-Snake needs to come back and I don't see any reason for him to be cut, especially since Kojima gave Sakurai express permission.

-Though I sincerely hope that Smash 4 will be good competitively, I hope Virtual Console Melee is released alongside it just in case something goes wrong. It doesn't hurt to have a backup plan, after all.

-Pokémon needs to keep its veterans in no small part because in a series with 721+ playable characters of equal emportance, the veterans are the ones even non-fans (and yes, there are a lot of non-fans, shocking, I know) will recognize. For the same reason, Greninja was a really bad choice.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Don't you just love it when people are already calling SSB4's competitive scene's demise wanting a PM2 or when the game when the game isn't even out yet? Cause I sure don't.

D

Deleted member

Don't you just love it when people are already calling SSB4's competitive scene's demise wanting a PM2 or when the game when the game isn't even out yet? Cause I sure don't.
Neither do I. I guess not having Melee airdodge means the game is bad by default.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Neither do I. I guess not having Melee airdodge means the game is bad by default.
It's more than that. It's implying all hope is lost so there's no use to do anything, we might as well fix it now or go back to Melee. Even when we haven't gotten the full experience. We're trying to prepare for if the sky falls.

Last edited:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Sometimes I want to "like" an opinion that I actually hate for no other reason than "they are using the thread correctly".

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
Basically people on 2ch didn't like it. Pretty much the only source, but it's 2ch.

Whether or not Japanese fans like it, I loved it and would hate Lucas being cut as a result.
Okay, so no source then. There's a difference between "It was poorly received," and "A couple of anonymous people didn't like it."

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I kinda wish Rosalina had a Grand Star logo instead of the generic Mushroom logo, especially since she has a completely unique victory theme like Yoshi (Bowser doesn't have a unique victory theme, before anyone says it, it's just a variation on the same one the other Mario reps have, like Meta Knight's in Brawl). That Mushroom looks so out of place beside her since I'm so used to seeing a Grand Star as her emblem in Mario Kart and Super Mario 3D World.

Yes, I know the "Super Mario Galaxy" games are still main series Mario games, but, I view it as a somewhat isolated series now and with Rosalina being the poster child of the series right now (for good reason too), her icon being something that is iconic to Galaxy in particular would have been nice, especially since she's not really a part of the Mushroom Kingdom, much like Yoshi and Wario.

D

Deleted member

I kinda wish Rosalina had a Grand Star logo instead of the generic Mushroom logo, especially since she has a completely unique victory theme like Yoshi (Bowser doesn't have a unique victory theme, before anyone says it, it's just a variation on the same one the other Mario reps have, like Meta Knight's in Brawl). That Mushroom looks so out of place beside her since I'm so used to seeing a Grand Star as her emblem in Mario Kart and Super Mario 3D World.

Yes, I know the "Super Mario Galaxy" games are still main series Mario games, but, I view it as a somewhat isolated series now and with Rosalina being the poster child of the series right now (for good reason too), her icon being something that is iconic to Galaxy in particular would have been nice, especially since she's not really a part of the Mushroom Kingdom, much like Yoshi and Wario.
Not really disagreeing with you, but Yoshi and Wario, and by extension Donkey Kong, only have unique icons and victory themes because they have their own series separate from the Mario games, and thus represent those respective franchises. (Yoshi less so though, due to him still showing up in main series Mario games, unlike Wario and DK who only show up for the spinoffs and Mario Kart). While Rosalina is by far one of the most popular female characters in the Mario series, if not most popular, she, unlike those 3 listed above, is still part of the Mario series and only the Mario series. You may view the Galaxy series as separate, but they're still Mario games in essence. You're still playing as an italian plumber and his younger and more cowardly twin brother who jump on turtles and walnut-mushrooms to save a princess from a giant fire breathing turtle.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Not really disagreeing with you, but Yoshi and Wario, and by extension Donkey Kong, only have unique icons and victory themes because they have their own series separate from the Mario games, and thus represent those respective franchises. (Yoshi less so though, due to him still showing up in main series Mario games, unlike Wario and DK who only show up for the spinoffs and Mario Kart). While Rosalina is by far one of the most popular female character in the Mario series, if not most popular, she, unlike those 3 listed above, is still part of the Mario series and only the Mario series. You may view the Galaxy series as separate, but they're still Mario games in essence. You're still playing as an italian plumber who jumps on turtles and walnut-mushrooms to save a princess from a giant fire breathing turtle.
I'm aware, hence, I highlighted the "Mario" in "Super Mario Galaxy" (even though I very much think Rosalina is the main character of the story that is the original Galaxy and that this was what the creators intended, but that's besides my reasoning for this idea).

It's just an aesthetic nitpick I have especially since they gave her the unique victory theme, so I don't think it'd hurt to go the whole way and give her a unique logo. I posted about it here since I know pretty much everyone will give the response you gave, hence, it's an unpopular opinion. :p

D

Deleted member

I'm aware, hence, I highlighted the "Mario" in "Super Mario Galaxy" (even though I very much think Rosalina is the main character of the story that is the original Galaxy and that this was what the creators intended, but that's besides my reasoning for this idea).

It's just an aesthetic nitpick I have especially since they gave her the unique victory theme, so I don't think it'd hurt to go the whole way and give her a unique logo. I posted about it here since I know pretty much everyone will give the response you gave, hence, it's an unpopular opinion. :p
Yeah, I can see that, but I just wanted to get my point across.
To be fair I want that kind of treatment for Luigi, considering the Luigi's Mansion games are by far some of the most creative and fun games Nintendo has ever put out and are two of my personal favorites, so who am I to say anything?

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah, I can see that, but I just wanted to get my point across.
To be fair I want that kind of treatment for Luigi, considering the Luigi's Mansion games are by far some of the most creative games Nintendo has ever put out and are two of my personal favorites, so who am I to say anything?
In an ideal world, I'd actually want each and every character to have a unique logo, if I'm honest!

Rosalina's case just bothers me particularly because they did the victory theme and because the Mushroom logo just looks odd next to her. She's the only character with the Mushroom logo that isn't a part of the Mushroom Kingdom, so it looks really weird to me. I always felt like that was why Yoshi got his logo, since despite being a core Mario character (keep in mind that Yoshi wasn't really part of his own expansive series at the time of Smash 64 either), he gets a unique logo since he's literally a resident of Yoshi's Island, rather than the Mushroom Kingdom, so having the Mushroom logo with him would look just as weird to me as it does with Rosalina.

Bendezium Dweevil

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2122-7123-8170
I love Lucina's addition. I enjoy the idea of clones. It grants new characters the chance to be playable when no one would consider them if there was a similar character already on board. As long as certain attributes are changed.

I also loathe the idea of alts being entirely different entities. I would hate it if I was scrolling through Fox's colors and suddenly Wolf was a Fox color. My favorite Star Fox character being reduced to a "Fox 2"? No thanks. Plus the announcer / name on the select screen would have to change to the "alt's" name anyways, so whats wrong with putting them in their own respective slot? People saying Roy should be a palette swap or Falco, but despite them being similar to others in the game, they are their own character. They deserve to be represented as such, not as an "alt". Even if their moves are similar, if they aren't at all the same person as their alternate character (Dr. Mario could be an easy swap, same person as Mario, just with pills), I have no qualms with them getting a "slot". Slots probably are easy to change up and add more of anyways, considering the Lucina incident.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Funny I was just about to post how garbage lumina is and how disrespectful it was to make her marth training wheels. I'd rather she be an alt. Then she'd be as good as marth

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Nonetheless, that's still 2ch, I should clarify. 2ch is like 4chan in that both are full of mostly negative people, and maybe their opinion isn't the best base for what the Japanese think of Mother 3.

So we still have yet to have a reliable source on that. We'll get one in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom