• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
... You just replace it with...FLUDD, but with hot water (which makes no sense given the source material).
Maybe a Super Mario Sunshine sequel is in the works that introduces a hot water FLUDD mechanic? ;D

- Something I mentioned in the first Unpopular Opinions board before it closed down (-_-' thanks guys...) but Smash Wii U/3DS will be SSB 4.0
It's not gonna be SSB64 2.0
It's not gonna be SSBB 2.0
And SSBM 2.0 is never going to happen.
Again, the child that's living in the shadows of its older siblings because no one will let it have its own identity. Or twins I guess. You know what I mean.

- I've noticed a lot of roster hate here comes mostly from the female newcomers. Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, and Palutena. Sexist much?

- While this isn't an unpopular opinion, I just wanted to note that in the results screen when Megaman gets 2nd place or lower, he still has this big smile on his face like he's so happy just to be in this game and that's freaking awesome! I love it! :D

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
1. Palutena was someone I wanted but, after E3, I'm even more annoyed about Sakurai's bias towards Kid Icarus. 5 items, 2 assist trophies, nearly a dozen confirmed enemies in Smash Run, and 2 characters for a franchise that only has 3 games with only 2 on them considered canon. It also doesn't help that Pit is freakishly good and Palutena has 12 special move options. Yes, Sakurai, we get it, you directed Kid Icarus Uprising... It annoys me even more that, despite all this bias in Smash, the man still refuses to make another Kid Icarus game.

2. With so many reports of how underwhelming Little Mac is, I almost want him out of the game even though he was in my top 3.

3. I'm not looking forward to the DLC because I think it'll be very underwhelming. Aside from maybe 1 or 2 original characters, I think most of the characters will be semiclones. I'm thinking 4-6, with 1 being Mewtwo and another being Lucas/Wolf (whoever gets cut from the initial roster). I think Dixie, Roy, Lucina, Tetra, and Dark Pit are all strong candidates but I also think they'll play similarly to Diddy, Marth, Sheik, and Pit respectively. Mark my words, if DLC does end up happening, it'll be followed by a ton of complaining and it will be like the Brawl reveal all over again.

courte

Smash Lord
ridley has had his size change. so has bowser. I find it off somehow everyone forgot how large he was is super Mario 64
ridley is samus' main/oldest enemy and Metroid has a rather small range of characters, and 3 games in she is still for all intents and purposes all by herself'
I think 80% of the roster should be cut each time around
I love smash as a fighter first and foremost. read a fighter. aggressive. confrontational. fast. complex. focused. for me most of the time I use the word smash to refer to the game's structure rather than the series. 'melee is a fighter, all others are smash bros games.'
I do believe the structure/formula has potential for any and all franchises worth a damn, but it's better when handled as a fighter first and a fanservice/tribute game second, Persona, Skullgirls, Capcom, Marvel, Pokémon, Capcom VS Konami, Namco, Fire Emblem, Tales. PSASBR. with care attention to detail and time anyone can have the proper lifespan. there is a reason none of the others have a scene behind them.

I really hope that going forward, this style of game becomes a thing without being tied to franchises. while hardcores don't have anything against casuals in this genre, they are hated for committing the simply crime of trying. it's not fair that someone who takes something they enjoy remotely seriously are labeled as cancerous. it's actually a disgusting reaction bad enough we face a stigma as gamers, but we are looked upon with scorn from other gamers as well.

this thread originally made me somewhat happy to see people's opinions, but now i'm just super sad.i know i'll be penalized for posting it but I just had to put it out there.

Sorry double post. Smash makes me super happy and people/Sakurai make me crazy sad

Last edited by a moderator:

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
I really don't see why people were impressed by the Palutena trailer's anime opening. The animation was so lifeless or choppy except for when they were giving the teenage fans blatant, pathetic fan service with her ass and boobs. Palutena honestly had the worst trailer as far as I care. At least the other trailers had CGI or actually decent animation (For Little Mac) and showed the character a little more respect. Even Sonic's was better.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I really don't see why people were impressed by the Palutena trailer's anime opening. The animation was so lifeless or choppy except for when they were giving the teenage fans blatant, pathetic fan service with her *** and boobs. Palutena honestly had the worst trailer as far as I care. At least the other trailers had CGI or actually decent animation (For Little Mac) and showed the character a little more respect. Even Sonic's was better.
I think most people found the trailer pretty cool because of the battle between Link and Pit, but when Palutena comes in, the animation really shows how badly animated Anime can be. I don't see why fanservice has to be blatant and pathetic, but it did feel out of place. The music on the trailer was great and fitting, at least.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
- I think Captain Falcon and Ridley are great characters, but too overrated as well.
- I think Sakurai is being a little too biased towards the Kid Icarus series. Despite that, Palutena is still a great addition to the roster and Dark Pit should be an alt for Pit.
- Avatar/Robin/Tactician is the best Fire Emblem newcomer that could be added to the roster.
- Wii Fit Trainer is one of the best additions to the roster due to her quirkiness and unexpectedness.
- Miis have been creatively implemented.
- This game should never be called nor strive to be Melee 2.0 or Brawl 2.0. It should be its own thing.

Hong

The Strongest
I have gripes with tradition for the sake of tradition. If you do something once and want to do it again, have a substantial reason for doing it again besides an arbitrary aversion of change. Here are three examples of how this applies to Smash Bros:

1) I dislike items in Smash Bros that did not need to be specific to Smash Bros. For example, the Beam Sword should have been a divine weapon from Fire Emblem, or any series lacking item representation.

2) Marth's dialogue should be the appropriate language per region. I hope Marth being Japanese in the demo is merely a placeholder. It was justified in the past, because he had not appeared in any products that are recognized internationally. Shadow Dragon changes this; he should be voiced in full English, and Japanese voice acting should be optional.

3) As a huge Mother fan, Ness should not have ever happened, and we should have gotten Ninten instead. Ness is the middleman of the series... it would be like adding Seliph instead of Marth. The internationality argument is thrown out the window by Lucas. Especially since Nintendo has already officially translated the first Mother game and could release that on the eShop.

I'm gonna have to unwatch this thread at this rate.
If you feel this way, don't degrade the thread with posts that are neither an opinion or an agreement/clarification on an existing opinion.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
1. Palutena was someone I wanted but, after E3, I'm even more annoyed about Sakurai's bias towards Kid Icarus. 5 items, 2 assist trophies, nearly a dozen confirmed enemies in Smash Run, and 2 characters for a franchise that only has 3 games with only 2 on them considered canon. It also doesn't help that Pit is freakishly good and Palutena has 12 special move options. Yes, Sakurai, we get it, you directed Kid Icarus Uprising... It annoys me even more that, despite all this bias in Smash, the man still refuses to make another Kid Icarus game.

2. With so many reports of how underwhelming Little Mac is, I almost want him out of the game even though he was in my top 3.

3. I'm not looking forward to the DLC because I think it'll be very underwhelming. Aside from maybe 1 or 2 original characters, I think most of the characters will be semiclones. I'm thinking 4-6, with 1 being Mewtwo and another being Lucas/Wolf (whoever gets cut from the initial roster). I think Dixie, Roy, Lucina, Tetra, and Dark Pit are all strong candidates but I also think they'll play similarly to Diddy, Marth, Sheik, and Pit respectively. Mark my words, if DLC does end up happening, it'll be followed by a ton of complaining and it will be like the Brawl reveal all over again.
- I think Captain Falcon and Ridley are great characters, but too overrated as well.
- I think Sakurai is being a little too biased towards the Kid Icarus series. Despite that, Palutena is still a great addition to the roster and Dark Pit should be an alt for Pit.
- Avatar/Robin/Tactician is the best Fire Emblem newcomer that could be added to the roster.
- Wii Fit Trainer is one of the best additions to the roster due to her quirkiness and unexpectedness.
- Miis have been creatively implemented.
- This game should never be called nor strive to be Melee 2.0 or Brawl 2.0. It should be its own thing.
These times a million and a half.

Dairz

Smash Ace
- Palutena seems like she'll be overpowered thanks to Sakurai bias. I mean, Mario will only be able to change how his already existing specials function. Palutena's special move options are completely different, and seem to be very good. Too good.

- I somewhat dislike the concept Sakurai seems to follow of "Throwing in a WTF character, just because". I know they'll have fans, but thats just simply because they're playable. Seriously, if WFT wasn't in the game, nobody would've been upset. I'd rather have a liked, but unexpected character instead.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I don't understand why people think we "need more female characters". I think we just need Nintendo All-stars as characters. A characters gender shouldn't bump them in front of another character that should be in Smash. If a Nintendo All-star happens to be female thats fine with me.

Last edited:

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
I hope the Ice Climbers aren't coming back. I've never liked playing them, fighting them, and I don't think they're nearly relevant enough to warrant a place in the roster.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I don't think Takamaru should be in the game and don't see an argument that works for him better than any other NES era character.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
I'm not too keen on the majority of the newcomers confirmed so far; none of them impressed me and I feel some of them are poor choices (Villager, WFT, Greninja), others were predictable and have obnoxious fanbases (PacMan, Mega Man), and I just don't care for others (Palutena, Rosalina). Little Mac I actually had hopes for but from what I've heard he might not be too good, though Mii Fighter has me a little interested so I could fool around with a Reggie Mii.

I hope to Gematsu leak doesn't come true with the last three newcomers.

Robin is overrated as a newcomer for the Fire Emblem series.

EDIT: Few more opinion.

I HATE Megaman's Final Smash. Every time it connects, everyone acts like its the second-coming of Christ.

Pokemon Trainer was a terrible choice of character in Brawl and now it's biting Sakurai back for this game.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I think Palutena should've stayed away from Smash Bros. She didn't have any moveset potential to begin with. Guess it's too late now.

Mii Fighters, meh. I'll have to wait and grow on them.

Pac-Man is perfect.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
-Toad is possibly the most deserving newcomer
-Greninja and Rosalina, as much as I like the two, came in far sooner than they should have.
-Ganon and Impa have been cheated out of a spot, by Ganondorf and Sheik respectively.
-Dr. Mario, Jigglypuff, Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Lucina, Dark Pit, and Snake never should have been playable.
-Charizard should have been a standalone fighter from the start.
-F-Zero doesn't need any more characters. Captain Falcon represents his series just fine.
-Five Fire Emblem characters is very excessive. Either Ike should have been cut, or Lucina should not have been added. And even if Fire Emblem somehow came to deserve that many reps, Chrom should have been one instead (perhaps with Lucina in his final smash).
-Custom movesets are a pretty bad idea. Actually, scratch that - they are a good idea, but have been executed poorly.
-Sakurai should choose characters based on popularity, iconic-ness, and importance to their series - rather than on uniqueness alone, as well as his own biases towards characters from games he likes. Smash is about bringing together Nintendo's all-stars. Unique movesets (ex. Rosalina & Luma) do not make a character an all-star - popularity and time-proven significance in their own series (ex. Toad) is what truly makes a star.
-Melee, while it is an excellent game, is held too highly by the community. I believe that we need to balance loving the old while also moving forward to the new.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Sometimes this thread makes me think the "unpopular" opinions are the "popular" opinions. :L

Anyways.

I don't give a damn about the new characters that get in. As long as they all continue to look fun to play I will be content in the end. There are 2 newcomers that are rather lackluster from the rest and they are Villager and Pac-Man. Villager has the same Uair and Dari and same Fair and Bair, it feels lazy, and nothing really screams out of his moveset to me. Pac-Man is eh, he looks rather bland overall. Hopefully they will be more fun then they look.

D

Deleted member

Little Mac isn't terrible, you just gotta main him.
This. To me, Mac doesn't seem like a bad character, just one with a high skill ceiling that needs to be practiced to be used to his full potential. Drawbacks aside, I do believe that Little Mac could end up being a really terrifying character in the hands of someone who knows how to play him properly.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
- I don't really get the hate towards Chrom. He's boring? No more so than Marth and Roy. Aside from the story behind his tiara, there's nothing that notable about Marth and Roy's pretty much dead weight in his game, just like his dad. As far as I'm concerned, Ike and Lucina are the only noteworthy protagonists of the franchise (though I've only played the localized games). As far as Awakening characters go, I do think Lucina is a more interesting character but, let's get real, if Fire Emblem is getting a new rep (which is practically guaranteed at this point) it's going to be Chrom first.

-I hate to say it but if Lucina does make it in (probably as DLC), she'll probably wind up as a Marth semiclone. I don't see Sakurai flexing a lot of creative muscles with her. This is the same guy that kept Link and Young/Toon Link largely the same in three games despite their wide range of differences and looked at Ganondorf, Nintendo's second most important villain, and thought he'd only fit in as a Captain Falcon clone. I have the same thoughts for Dark Pit too, a character that literally started off it's life as an ALT in Brawl. If either of them make it in, their fans will probably be really disappointed.

-Mewtwo will probably be DLC and I think that's sleazy as hell. I rather him not be in the game at all than someone who will probably cost 5-10 bucks because Nintendo knows that most people would probably pay 50 just to see him playable again. I have a bad feeling that the non semiclone DLC characters will probably be obscenely popular characters that they "forgot" to add to the initial roster.

-Based on what I've seen so far, I don't think Rosalina is going to be very good. She strikes me as a character like Yoshi, too much of a special snowflake to ever really be any good. Like Yoshi, she'll probably wind up as someone who you have to severally outplay your opponent with in order to win. In other words, she'll almost always be an uphill battle to use.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
The amount of people who say Pichu should have never been playable in this thread makes me wonder if the popular opinion was that he should be playable...I was always under the assumption that very few people liked him. :/

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
- I don't really get the hate towards Chrom. He's boring? No more so than Marth and Roy. Aside from the story behind his tiara, there's nothing that notable about Marth and Roy's pretty much dead weight in his game, just like his dad. As far as I'm concerned, Ike and Lucina are the only noteworthy protagonists of the franchise (though I've only played the localized games). As far as Awakening characters go, I do think Lucina is a more interesting character but, let's get real, if Fire Emblem is getting a new rep (which is practically guaranteed at this point) it's going to be Chrom first.
It's the fact he's yet another Blue-Haired Swordsman(as well as male) that people find boring about him. Some say he wouldn't have a unique moveset either.

That's where it comes from, really. He's definitely one of the more logical choices, since he's one of the main characters in Awakening.

-I do like Pichu, but I would not mind if he was a special skin for Pikachu with damaging moves, since that's really all he was. Likewise, same for Young Link skin on Toon Link. You don't even have to change the voices. Close enough to me.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I second this.
The amount of people who say Pichu should have never been playable in this thread makes me wonder if the popular opinion was that he should be playable...I was always under the assumption that very few people liked him. :/
No, you are right.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
- After the hype fog cleared, Palutena's trainer became eh to me. It felt sorta awkward tbh.
- I don't really care what FE rep we get next.
- I think it's dumb to make a demo tier list.
- Toon Link should use different items to stand out more. This is Smash 4, why are there still clones?

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
1. King K. Rool is more deserving of a place in game than any of the newcomers revealed so far.
He is in 9 games as a Boss (12 if you include the ports) , 3 games as a playable character, & 3 game as a cameo. As well as appearing in comic books, a television series, & a novel . He is as iconic to the Donkey Kong franchise as Bowser is to the Super Mario franchise. While the characters that were picked may have some popularity they don’t carry the same weight(figuratively/literally) as King K. Rool. Being such an important character with so much history with Nintendo it’s a shock that he hasn’t been included in any previous installments of SSB.

2. Ridley should be included since Metroid only has one representative character. (I will never count stripper Samus as a separate character.)

3. Black Shadow should be given Ganondorf’s move set and Ganondorf should get a new more fitting move set.

4. I would have preferred the “Street Fighter X Tekken” Megaman.

5. The mannequin in the sports bra & yoga pants is a insult to all the Nintendo fans that have noteworthy characters they wish were in the game. They already have Mr. Game & Watch for a ridicules obscure character, They shouldn’t be putting more in unless they plan on going up into the 50+ character range. Given how few they have revealed so far I find it doubtful there will be more then 45.

6. Nintendo should drop the whole Bobblehead gimmick. Just because some people think it’s cool because “I can play with myself” doesn’t justify putting 3 useless derivative characters in the game. This shows they are spending way too much time developing the wrong things. The Mii (if included at all) should have been an alt character costume only.

7. With the exception of Captain Falcon, I would trade out any characters revealed so far or any veteran fighters returning for the playable characters from Donkey Kong 64. Especially Tiny Kong because it would be cool to have a character that shrinks when they get the smash ball. I imagine her being very small and probably glowing to make her easier to see, her attacks would probably be one or two hit knockouts do to difficulty of chasing large characters.

8. There should be an original character in the game called Super Smashio. He is another character that looks like the Mario Bros. only he has large muscles and an S on his hat. He should also have mutton chops.

Like This guy:

9. If you exclude the Donkey Kong characters my most wanted character is Whispy Woods. They could scale him down so he is the tallest character but not by much. He could grab/grapple with his roots, the way Ivysaur did with its vines. For his smash ball he could grow to full size and shake apples all over the place. Plus he can already move in multiple games so no one can argue that he is a stationary character.

10. I wish they had kept the tag team characters mainly because I was hoping they would eventually put Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario as a playable character.

If you actually read all this:
Congratulations you won 1000 points!

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I hope the Ice Climbers aren't coming back. I've never liked playing them, fighting them, and I don't think they're nearly relevant enough to warrant a place in the roster.
Maybe a new Ice Climbers game could fix that. C'mon Nintendo it's been too long!

- Mewtwo is overrated. I'm glad to see a new Pokemon instead. *High fives Greninja*

- I like the idea of Smash Run, but I only need to be told about it once. I know they're trying to sell it as how awesome the 3DS version is gonna be but tell me about Wii U's single-player dammit!

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
  • I couldn't care less if Lucas and (or) Wolf was cut from the game.
  • I'm absolutely fine if the only unrevealed characters are just the Sal leak three. (Chrom is boooooring though)
  • Mii Fighters are brilliant and look like a lot of fun.
  • I'll miss Ivysaur and Squirtle (but I understand why they're cut).
  • Pac-Man is brilliant.

Krazy4Krash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpongeBev
- The Ice Climbers are the only characters I wouldn't grieve if they were cut.

- The thought of a Zelda newcomer makes me sick, no matter who it is. Big fan of the series, but that would be the most bloody unnecessary thing the roster could receive.

- Ganondorf's moveset could stay the exact same as in Brawl and I wouldn't care in the slightest. I would rather that over a sword, actually. I have no gripes against a new magic-based move or two, however.

- I'm in support Toon Link keeping special moves similar to Link. Having him use items such as the Skull Hammer and Deku Leaf would be extremely out of place to me when it makes just as much sense he use the Bow, Boomerang and Bombs as it does with Link.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
I don't care about Lucas, Snake, Wolf, and the one that will get me the most hate, Mewtwo. They can be cut.

Jigglypuff would get in over Mewtwo. [Like in Brawl] In the absence of Mewtwo.

Pacman's trailer was disappointing.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Please logic, Mii Fighters most likely will take up 2-3 characters' worth of space. Even if the space was intended for stages, they could've put someone useful in there.
They could've put in someone useful, like the Mii Fighters :/
- The Mii hate is baseless.
- Rosalina deserves to be in the game for the same reason Chrom deserves to be in the game, they rep their series' best game ever.

courte

Smash Lord
- Rosalina deserves to be in the game for the same reason Chrom deserves to be in the game, they rep their series' best game ever.
I don't see it often perhaps because im often the one ranting about ot, but how does the idea of a sports games/Mario party themed daisy sound to you, in her strikers outfit? not in any specific iteration of smash but as a smash Character in general? I'll not mention other mario characters I think would be nice as it's slightly off topic, but im asking not for the fans aspect or series representation aspect, but as a fighter?

As for toad, I think they should make a separate mascots party smash game. Without the slightest trace of competitive design. THAT game o me is where the lighthearted characters would all be Super welcome as well as Bomberman, who for some reason gave all of his specials moves to snake.

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
Please logic, Mii Fighters most likely will take up 2-3 characters' worth of space. Even if the space was intended for stages, they could've put someone useful in there.
But it's not like veterans take that much time, right?...

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
This post was clearly made with the intention of devaluing PKBeam's opinion, which goes against the main objective of the thread.

Lets try to avoid responses like these in the future, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom